PDA

View Full Version : Creating Track Profiles

Greyhound Friend
12-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm taking another crack at creating a track profile, a la Tom Brohamer, of the early running styles of winners and place horses based on E (early), P (presser), and S (closer). I'm trying to get a more clear definition of those running styles or at least a consensus. From some casual research I found the following criteria for running styles at the first call:

Brohamer

E = Lead to 1L behind
P = 1L to 3L behind
S = Last 3d of field

BRIS

E = Lead
P = Midpack
S = Back

Jim Quinn

E = Lead to 1/2L behind
P = 3/4 to 2L behind
S = >2L behind

All-Ways

E = Lead
P = 4L to 7L behind
S = Back

Is there any iron-clad definition of the running styles that work, or is flexible good enough, or, does it really matter as long as they are used consistently?

I know track profiles are available with the BRIS Race Summary, but it's also interesting (and fun) to do it yourself.

Thanks.

kenwoodallpromos
12-05-2007, 02:17 AM
Wouldn't the profiles (distance back to qualify a horses as E, P, or S) depend on the abilty of the horse in the current race to take the lead and win? And wouldn't that depend on the horse and the track speed?
Maybe that is why there are several opinions as you list in your post.
IMO if I had to name specific distances behind I would use gain from 1st call to end of race:
E= Lead to 1 3/4 lengths
P= 2 to 5 3/4 lengths
S= 6 or more lengths.

MakinItHappen
12-05-2007, 02:51 AM
I'm trying to get a more clear definition of those running styles or at least a consensus.

Bris defines it's running styles classifications as follows:

E (Early) = A horse that exhibits this run style is one that typically vies for the early lead or whose best races are run on the lead. Most horses in this category do not successfully rate behind a pace setter.

E/P (Early/Presser) = A horse that exhibits this run style is one that runs second or third within a few lengths of the lead early before trying to run down the leader. An “E/P” horse, just like an “E” horse, may run on the front end but, unlike an “E” horse, it can be expected to successfully rate behind a pace setter.

P (Presser) = A horse that exhibits this run style is one that runs in the middle-of-the-pack early before trying to run down the leader. A “P” horse may at times run close to the lead but rarely, if ever, challenges for the lead early. Unlike and “S” horse, the “P” horse doesn’t typically run from the rear of the pack in its better races.

S (Sustain or Closer) = A horse that exhibits this run style is one that runs in the back of the pack early before trying to run down the leader.

Hope that is helpful and Best of Luck To You Greyhound Friend!

MakinItHappen

Tom Barrister
12-05-2007, 06:45 AM
The best way to answer it is to say that everybody does it differently.

colonial
12-06-2007, 08:21 PM
so i guess any one of them is ok to use.

one is no better then the other.

GaryG
12-06-2007, 08:42 PM
The critical part is to differentiate between the E's and EP's. An E must always want the lead and has never shown the ability to rate at all. BRIS is way too liberal with the E designation. If you find an E that can not keep up with the other speed horses he has very little chance. By the same token an S in a paceless field that has never shown any contending speed can be eliminated. At least that is how I do it. Good luck.