PDA

View Full Version : One laptop per child

46zilzal
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/explore.php

Buy one donate one. A great idea.

betovernetcapper
12-02-2007, 11:18 PM
My 11 year old niece wants a laptop for Christmas and when I was checking specs in the PA computer section, Tom mentioned this. I examined it and have rejected it because it would mean giving my niece a cheap laptop valued at $200 instead of a good one.
I'm also not a real big fan of the third world. Maybe if I saw some news clips of third world kids waving tiny American flags and wearing tee shirts saying "Rush Rocks", I might be more sympathetic, but right now I'm a little ambivlent.

harnesslover
12-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Betover, funny, my first thought was 'nice for those kids, but what about all the poor American kids that need laptops'..

46zilzal
12-02-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm also not a real big fan of the third world. Maybe if I saw some news clips of third world kids waving tiny American flags and wearing tee shirts saying "Rush Rocks", I might be more sympathetic, but right now I'm a little ambivlent.

Everyone has to scrape and bow to ONE country to make them acceptable? Horse crap. People only owe allegiance to their own. And even then, you limit their bowing down to a single U.S. point of view....

betovernetcapper
12-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Horse crap. People only owe allegiance to their own.
I couldn't have said it better myself and that's where my gift laptop budget is going :lol:

GaryG
12-03-2007, 09:32 AM
What I can afford to give goes to the people of Appalachia. There are more needy people in this area than most folks imagine. Third World? I care more about Americans from my region that don't have a winter coat or money for heating oil. Let alone a laptop.

harnesslover
12-03-2007, 09:35 AM
[QUOTE=46zilzal]People only owe allegiance to their own.QUOTE]

So then why would I, as an American, buy a laptop for some kid riding donkeys out in Indonesia?

King Ritchie
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Lib z46 wants YOU to give/buy a laptop - not him/her. This is basic liberal philosophy, like Agore practices.

kenwoodallpromos
12-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Maybe someone can answer this- how come when I looked at the picture of the kids in the classroom with the laptops I saw no connections? are they all wireless or what? Are they internet capable?

harnesslover
12-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Maybe someone can answer this- how come when I looked at the picture of the kids in the classroom with the laptops I saw no connections? are they all wireless or what? Are they internet capable?

I was reading the description and it said they were intended to be wireless..

I just cannot picture a hut with a router installed

betovernetcapper
12-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Aren't most of the al-Qaeda coffee shops wifi hotspots?

46zilzal
12-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Lib z46 wants YOU to give/buy a laptop - not him/her. This is basic liberal philosophy, like Agore practices.
Another mind reader! You should set up a Tarot card salon.

Pointing out a project that is worthwhile. Take it or leave it.

Tom
12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
I was reading the description and it said they were intended to be wireless..

I just cannot picture a hut with a router installed

Hope no one thinks it's a George Forman Grill!:eek:

46zilzal
12-03-2007, 04:18 PM
The device needs no electricity source either.

kenwoodallpromos
12-03-2007, 04:58 PM
The device needs no electricity source either.
Thanks to those who answered! Sounds like they would work out in Iraq also since last I heard we are still not allowing them to have much eletricity!
Since they are made in China i'm wondering also what their content of lead or other chemicals is.

skate
12-03-2007, 05:25 PM

if it has the EARS on each side of the lid, then yes 'net capable'.

skate
12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
as long as the puters didnt start insulting Mullahs or Muhammad with the name teddy, should work out just fine.

JustRalph
12-03-2007, 07:00 PM
What I can afford to give goes to the people of Appalachia. There are more needy people in this area than most folks imagine. Third World? I care more about Americans from my region that don't have a winter coat or money for heating oil. Let alone a laptop.

Gary, you are alright!!! :ThmbUp:

riskman
12-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Some hear should remember and try to bring nonjudgment, tolerance, and compassion. You might see how different the world looks, and even how different those around you act in the presence of these energies. We are talking about children receiving a basic generic laptop in a non political scenario. To my knowledge, there is no agenda other than trying to educate some poor kids.

Steve 'StatMan'
12-04-2007, 12:45 AM
It is a nice thought, although I already have a local cause. It seems like a nice thing to do, if one would like to, and has the availalbe charitable cash and means. Of all the things we argue about with 46zilzal, this shouldn't be one of them. It's just a suggestion, but it is good that people actually do things, however they choose to do them. It's seems like a nice option for what ought to be a good cause, should one decide to do it. I just felt I had to say so.

But I had a thought. I wonder if they'd let a person donate their purchased computer to the cause as well, so that 2 computers go to the cause for that money, for those that aren't interested in having the computer for themselves, or just want to donate to a cause they're willing to support.

betovernetcapper
12-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Steve, I respect your opinion but in 1992 when Clinton got us involved with sending food to help the poor starving kids in Somalia, it seemed like a good idea also. Look at how well that turned out. It would have been much better to let them starve.
As far as I'm concerned if these kids need laptops, let Bin Laden buy them.