PDA

View Full Version : Shortage of Storage Space

The Judge
12-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Like most handicppers I have alot of material and I am running out of space. I can see from some of the posts by Dick Schmidt that I'm not alone. I have had to get rid of all my old issues of American Turf Montly , Horseplayer Magazine, and Phillips News Letter. What I should have done was at least taken the covers off a 3 hole punched them and put them in a binder.

Storage lockers were at onetime cheap are now expensive so I don't see that as and opition. Any Ideas before the family starts complaining again. Yes when I make a score I do share (maybe thats the problem not enough scores when I was forced to unload my precious items).

Any Ideas?

Tom Barrister
12-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Donate to your local library.

Overlay
12-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Due to all of the reasons you cited, plus the fact that my job moves me at periodic intervals, and I couldn't keep all my handicapping stuff with me while I was staying in a motel waiting to get into a house, I did an intensive review of my library and periodicals some time ago, with a sort of Pareto analysis on it, trying to separate out the "significant few" from the "trivial many".

As I'm sure PA members can appreciate, this was no easy task (either intellectually or emotionally), since almost any handicapping material usually has a nugget or two of genuine value in it, not to mention the length of time I had had some of the items, and the effort (and cost) associated with obtaining them. But I asked myself, "Given my general style of handicapping (which I continued to be satisfied with, and didn't see myself making major changes to at this point), what resources are the bare minimum I need for my enjoyment of the game, and being able to handicap the way I prefer?"

On that basis, I narrowed my library down to a small number of core titles (books only, no magazines) that I could carry with me, and that would allow me to handicap the way I wanted in almost any setting. It's probably best that I "separated the sheep from the goats" when I did, because, since then, the storage spaces in which I've kept my "non-essential" handicapping items (the basement at my previous residence, and a storage building at my current one) were flooded twice, and most of my collection has been lost. It's really ended up being a beneficial reality/priority check for me, because, even with how much I've enjoyed (and still enjoy) handicapping, as they say, "you can't take it with you", can you? Besides which, I've still got my core materials to work from.

Bruddah
12-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Why not offer on CD your publications for the past year-two-three-etc. You never know, it just might be a profitable revenue stream for you.

Other than that, you guys might want to take only those periodicals which offer them online. (if any) And store them on your hard drives and copy them to CD's. Just a thought.

Just a thought to help bring our little sector of the world (horse racing) into the 21st century. :confused: