PDA

View Full Version : Weekend stakes races...

Bubbles
01-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Hey all...

These two races, the Santa Catalina at Santa Anita and the Holy Bull at Gulfstream Park, have produced major winners in the past. Last year, Harlan's Holiday ran a strong second in the latter race, and he went on to win a few more notable stakes. Here goes...

Santa Catalina

This race will likely produce the faster time. I'll go with SCRIMSHAW. He ran his eyes out in his last start while showing that he can rate. With the abundance of early speed here, this could be helpful. DOMESTIC DISPUTE completes my exacta. He ran a good second at this distance in the Hollywood Futurity and should repeat today. OUR BOBBY V. has great speed. He can widen at will and will likely set the early pace, but there are a few early speed horses who could make him work for that early lead.

Holy Bull

This is your basic Florida crapshoot. I figure that five horses can seriously contend, and two more can surprise with a big effort. ADDED EDGE has won his first four starts in convincing fashion. However, he stretches out in distance. I think he'll win, but he'll likely have to work for it. SEEK GOLD ran his eyes out three back when breaking his maiden at 1 and 1/8 miles. He's since won and then bounced badly, but he could threaten today under Eibar Coa. SPITE THE DEVIL has never run a particularly bad race. He has a great late kick and could make the top two fret when the final sixteenth rolls around.
FUNNY CIDE has never been beaten, but he is breaking from the 13-hole, and that could mean death for this front-runner. OFFLEE WILD has also never thrown in a bad race. However, he's never traveled outside Kentucky and his works, while solid, are nothing to brag about. BHAM and POWERFUL TOUCH are the two horses that may surprise. Both have tremendous potential and cannot be left out.