PDA

View Full Version : Calder turf for The Fat Man

nobeyerspls
12-01-2007, 10:05 AM
In that contentious thread on workouts, TFM suggested doing today's turf races at Calder with me. This is a departure for me as I usually post longshots on here. The last time was the day Aqueduct cancelled and Calder was off the turf. The two zero beyer fillies I posted did hit the board though, one at 61-1 and the other at 42-1. I got nadda because I bet win/place and they were third.
In keeping with that policy, I'll post a longball daily double at Turfway before doing the CRC turf. In the 1st race, #9 Harvey's Littlebit is listed at 80-1 ML (didn't know they went that high). Her two zero beyer races were bookends for one that she didn't finish. She got beat by 63 1/4 lengths last time (is the 1/4 that important?). Time off, new trainer, and a couple of OK works. Hate to go chalky in the 2nd but I'll go with #3 Woodford's Gal at 30-1. If this double hits a security guy will walk you to your car.

Now to the Calder turf:
race 3 - I love 2yo maidens but this race looks like a bunch of non-turfers. Normally I would be all over a horse like Tequilla Light because of the solid main track works but I don't like the presence of Al Nasr as the broodmare sire. Both Barn Dancer and Irish Cove have turf influence from the dam so I'll go with the latter.

race 8 - #2 La Dolce Vita is sitting on a big race. A brief freshening with legging-up at Payson should have her ready. Note how fast she ran the 2nd half of her win here in April. I'll use Beautiful Danielle, Bayou's Lassie, and J'ray under her in exotics and single her in the horizontals.

race 11 - This would be one that I would pass except for the horizontals. Too much overlapping talent with a question of fitness for a couple of these. Host is coming out of two grade 1's but he is getting a little long in the tooth. Go Between, the other millionaire, has to be repected and Minister's Joy and Ballast have performed well on this track before with the latter winning this race last year. I'll use those four and Giant Wrecker in the horizontals.

race 12 - #5 Straight Money Man is a single for me. He did not belong in that last race and his connections have tried to get him in turf races before so I'll hope that they know what they are doing. Should go off at less than the 30-1 ML listed.

the_fat_man
12-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm not familiar with the course or the local horses, so I'll limit my opinion to the stakes races.

Race 8: While, earlier this year, I would've thought that La Dolce Vita was better than these (especially at this distance), I no longer have that opinion; although she can certainly win.
I think this race hinges on whether Fantastic Shirl can get 10F. If she gets a perfect trip she'll handle the distance and beat these. However, FS almost never gets good trips and the extra 1/16th worries me. McLaughlin is hot down there and she probably won't be a fair price either.
The local horse that impressed the hell out of me (in watching her last 3 races) is Cozzi Capital. She's had two horrendous trips out of her past 3 races and appears to be incredibly game. She might not be as good as these and might also not be as high as we'd want odds wise.

Race 9: HOST

Bet him in the BC after (in retrospect) incorrectly interpreting my chart for the Canadian million race. While Johnny V punked out on the turn up in Canada and lost all chance, Garrett Gomez decided to let Host get distanced out of the gate in the BC and could only gain (significantly) when the race was over. Trainer change from Pletcher to Albertrani, added distance, and a jock that should keep this guy close enough to the field so that his late kick, as good as any out there, gets it done today.

Tough to take low odds on this guy, however, as he'll probably be the favorite. As such, I'll look to use him in exotics with a couple of longer priced horses: National Captain ---inexplicably/idiotically gunned to the lead last out (note that this one beat Thorn Song 2 back and the latter came back to beat Cosmonaut at CD); and Salinja ---a fatchart play.

All plays to be determined by odds, so take these with a grain.

jonnielu
12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Now to the Calder turf:

race 8 - #2 La Dolce Vita is sitting on a big race. A brief freshening with legging-up at Payson should have her ready. Note how fast she ran the 2nd half of her win here in April. I'll use Beautiful Danielle, Bayou's Lassie, and J'ray under her in exotics and single her in the horizontals.

I would reckon the #6 to be deserving of consideration.

jdl

jonnielu
12-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not familiar with the course or the local horses, so I'll limit my opinion to the stakes races.

Race 9: HOST

Bet him in the BC after (in retrospect) incorrectly interpreting my chart for the Canadian million race. While Johnny V punked out on the turn up in Canada and lost all chance, Garrett Gomez decided to let Host get distanced out of the gate in the BC and could only gain (significantly) when the race was over. Trainer change from Pletcher to Albertrani, added distance, and a jock that should keep this guy close enough to the field so that his late kick, as good as any out there, gets it done today.

All plays to be determined by odds, so take these with a grain.

#9, #6, #2 Behind Host.