sammy the sage
11-30-2007, 09:35 PM
one on one

or

as a group?

Economy is forcing the issue! :mad:

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 09:43 PM
WOW! I thought the thread title was a joke, but reading your message I guess it isn't.

As someone who has been laid off I would tell you the last thing I would want is someone else in the room when I am given the News.

Also, the last thing I would want to hear is "how valuable" I have been to the company and stuff like that.

And please do not let them come in and have their computer locked, network account disabled, etc. If an employee was going to do something it certainly would have happened already.

Call me in, give me the paperwork, let me logout, backup any personal computer files, and send me home.

AND please do not call me in at 4:29 if my day is supposed to end at 4:30 trying to milk one more day out of a hard worker.

Lay off the people first thing in the morning and pay them for the day.

IF you need them to work the whole day then how can you say you do NOT need them to work the next one?

just my 2 cents, I know times are tough and tough decisisons need to be made.

Dave Schwartz
11-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Sammy,

NJ's points are really excellent. They address the feelings of the worker who is about to have his life disrupted. (It seems to happen so often at this time of the year.)

A really fine man (and former client) I once new worked as Human Resources Manager for an aircraft manufacturer. (I lost touch with him about 13-14 years ago.)

I recall him telling me how he had been ordered to layoff thousands of employees. It was extremely difficult for him because he had worked for the company for many years and these people were his friends and co-workers.

I bring this up simply because, as difficult as it is for the guy being layed-off it can really be hard on the guy in charge of doing it. In the case of several thousand layoffs, the possibility of doing it one at a time is just about impossible.

Even if you can't do it one-on-one or even face-to-face, you can still treat the person with dignity and respect.

And, Sammy, if you are the guy doing it, my condolences to you as well. I know it won't be easy.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

harnesslover
11-30-2007, 10:04 PM
one on one

or

as a group?

Absolutely one on one. They deserve the dignity of having some of your time to discuss what is going on and why (and if you value them, how you might be able to refer them if needed)..

We just 'let go' of 1700 people in our company. So I can offer lots if examples for you LOL

riskman
11-30-2007, 10:59 PM
I am assuming your company is losing revenue and this is not a problem with employee performance.
Also assume you have explored all alternatives to avoid a layoff--ie. cutting costs, part time work, etc. Make sure you are laying off the right people. I was in this position in the past, and learned the hard way. Do not play favorites be careful in your decision.

Tell them face to face and and if you can, offer a recommendation to help the employee find a new position. Make sure you are in compliance with the COBRA Act medical-- and any other benefits that they are entitled under your corporate benefit manual or state and federal regs.

You then have to deal with the co-workers who remain. Some will be upset and might think they are next. Explain to them what and why. If you put additional work on the remaining employees you could have a problem.

spicytomato
11-30-2007, 11:16 PM
so sorry you have to do this

one on one and do see if there is anything else out there for them
a little after care can get you much good karma in return

it really is true when one door closes another one opens

my thoughts and support with you ,

sammy the sage
11-30-2007, 11:32 PM
'We just 'let go' of 1700 people in our company.'

And it was 1/1 w/all of them?

Yeah...it's gonna SUCK big-time.

betsall
11-30-2007, 11:53 PM
If they have been decent then tell them you will help them find another job cause after all that's what you and your company stand for, right.

If you won't do that give them the boot and don't think another thing about them cause after all what does your caring really mean if it's just in thought.

ljb
12-01-2007, 03:40 AM
one on one. No bullshit. Just tell them economy requires this action. I am assuming you are laying off good people and they are being laid off based on objective criteria. Getting laid off is devastating for more reasons then one and anyone getting laid off does not really want to hear a lot of bs.

ddog
12-01-2007, 04:03 AM
Sage

1 on 1 BUT have a 2nd in the room if at all possible.
An HR type or someone from mgmt.

Don't offer to provide anything after the fact so to speak.

If you can give a letter of recomendation that's fine.
Have their benefit/pay and rights lined up and laid out in detail on paper.

Don't take it to heart if there is nothing you can do about it then that's that.

In and out one and done don't dance around it come to the point.

I once had to do a whole bank in three days , around 350 people.
It wears on you that's for certain.
Course i wasn't on the receiving end so my feelings were not comparable to theirs.

betsall
12-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Don't forget to wish them a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.

Tom
12-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Having been through it, I say in a group. The dignity issue was not an issue for me - the company had none and mine could never be compormised by money-grubbing scum bags. Do it in a group so that they all hear the same bullshit lies at once. that way, it f law sits ever surface, the lying bastards cannot buy off one or two to lie for them about what was said. The company has already told you all you need to know about them and thier integrity. Realize that they are not your friends, they are now your adversary and do not trust them in way. And take advantage of any way you can screw them.

Indulto
12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Having been through it, I say in a group. The dignity issue was not an issue for me - the company had none and mine could never be compormised by money-grubbing scum bags. Do it in a group so that they all hear the same bullshit lies at once. that way, it f law sits ever surface, the lying bastards cannot buy off one or two to lie for them about what was said. The company has already told you all you need to know about them and thier integrity. Realize that they are not your friends, they are now your adversary and do not trust them in way. And take advantage of any way you can screw them.You're header for Peru as a diplomat, right? ;)

Greyfox
12-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Does size matter?:lol:

It doesn't make much sense to lay them off one by one in a very small business.
As soon as you call the first guy in the rest will know won't they?
On the other hand if they are all from different areas of a large firm, one by one is the only way to go.

kenwoodallpromos
12-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Ahead of time, look around for places they can go to try and find other work. One on one, tell them why, remind them about unemployment, give them ideas where to look for work, info on community services, make sure they know they will be the first hires when possible, give them good handicapping picks.

JustMissed
12-01-2007, 01:14 PM
one on one

or

as a group?

Hey, obviously it is causing you stress.

Schedule an out of town trip and have a subordinate fire them for you while you are away.

Wait til the week of Christmas and then let that guy go.

If you don't have a subordinate, call them at home the night before and tell them not to come in the next day.

May not sound like the best thing to do but your health is more important than their jobs.

Things are rough out there and getting worse. Time to hunker down and look after yourself. Not your fault the U.S. economy is going to hell in a handbasket, better start looking out for number one or your going to get screwed like the rest of the lemings.

JM

Greyfox
12-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Hey, obviously it is causing you stress.

Schedule an out of town trip and have a subordinate fire them for you while you are away.

Wait til the week of Christmas and then let that guy go.

If you don't have a subordinate, call them at home the night before and tell them not to come in the next day.

May not sound like the best thing to do but your health is more important than their jobs.

Things are rough out there and getting worse. Time to hunker down and look after yourself. Not your fault the U.S. economy is going to hell in a handbasket, better start looking out for number one or your going to get screwed like the rest of the lemings.

JM

Surely you jest JM.
All of the above is a "cowards" way of doing things. Handling it that way will haunt you the rest of your days.

Pace Cap'n
12-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Years ago I was directed to fire a girl in my department. I immediately realized I was not cut out for this, and agonized over it all week, couldn't eat, lost sleep, etc. I felt lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. So on Friday I called her into my office, and told her as bad as I hated to, I was going to have to let her go, and to my surprise, she flashed a big smile and said "Alright! Now I can go to Dallas next week!".

toetoe
12-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Curver and others,

Very humane advice. :ThmbUp:

Just Missed,

SURELY you jest ... ? :confused:

JustMissed
12-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Surely you jest JM.
All of the above is a "cowards" way of doing things. Handling it that way will haunt you the rest of your days.

I did not say that I would do it that way, I was suggesting that if it was bothering Sammy, then get someone else to fire them and save himself some grief.

Why in the heck would you want Sammy to go through the same grief that Pace Cap'n suffered---at the end of the day those folk are still out of a job and it really doesn't matter how they got the news.

I used to think it was cruel to fire people at Christmas till I realized that was the better time as they would be around friends and family to console them and to afford them time to network. After the Holidays is a very depressing time for a lot of people so it may be better to bite the bullet for all concerned and let them start the new year fresh.

Sammy may not be stressed at all but if he is, why not get someone else to cut them loose and save himself the grief. Turn the page and move on.

JM

banacek
12-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Sounds like the networks had to lay off everyone from the late night shows officially on Friday. Letterman and Conan are going to continue to pay their staffs salaries out of their own pocket. Jay isn't - but he did give them their Christmas bonuses a month early.

http://weblogs.variety.com/wga_strike_blog/2007/11/tonight-show-la.html

Greyfox
12-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I did not say that I would do it that way, I was suggesting that if it was bothering Sammy, then get someone else to fire them and save himself some grief.

JM

I didn't say that you would do it that way.
It would bother me more knowing that I didn't have the guts to do the layoffs myself than it would to lay them off. I would live with the coward side of me the rest of my days. Asking someone else to do the dirty deed is a cowards way.

robert99
12-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior management deciding layoffs in a vacuum is a confirming sign of poor management.
Who has "failed" the management, or the employees, or both?
How can the company afford to lose such key assets - what has really gone wrong?

If you discuss with staff early on the current situation and ask for their views and for mutually helpful suggestions, you may find that extra business is generated from unconsidered sources (your employees); they focus and suggest practical ways to cut costs and improve performance - no one ends up needing to be layed off. Some important things are now firmly in their own hands and they can get going on them. Those who are going to leave anyrate will usually come and tell you. Those who really want to stay, show it.

If all else fails, and people have to go then they already know the economic score and that it is not them as individuals being picked upon and randomly discarded - which can be the hurtful part.

Sailwolf
12-01-2007, 08:10 PM
one on one

or

as a group?

One on one with a 2nd person there (human resources)

Oh by the way how much severance pay is the company going to pay to pay to each person?

riskman
12-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Senior management deciding layoffs in a vacuum is a confirming sign of poor management.
Who has "failed" the management, or the employees, or both?
How can the company afford to lose such key assets - what has really gone wrong?

If you discuss with staff early on the current situation and ask for their views and for mutually helpful suggestions, you may find that extra business is generated from unconsidered sources (your employees); they focus and suggest practical ways to cut costs and improve performance - no one ends up needing to be layed off. Some important things are now firmly in their own hands and they can get going on them. Those who are going to leave anyrate will usually come and tell you. Those who really want to stay, show it.

If all else fails, and people have to go then they already know the economic score and that it is not them as individuals being picked upon and randomly discarded - which can be the hurtful part.

Excellent advice !!!!

Tom
12-02-2007, 12:04 AM
Except most busniess of any size do not care what the employees think and will not seek advice. When times are tough, the employees are the last thing on thier minds.

Indulto
12-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Except most busniess of any size do not care what the employees think and will not seek advice. When times are tough, the employees are the last thing on thier minds.That does seem to be the case.

The best advice I ever received in this regard was to treat everyone as an individual and try to be as sensitive as you would want someone else to be in your shoes. It's very important to know who you're dealing with in each case, and be aware of any potentially tragic circumstances, as there are some for whom it may be overwhelming. Even less desirable than a lawsuit is a suicide.

Tom
12-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Company loyalty is for saps.