PDA

View Full Version : Software that calculates last 1/4 Times

lanny
11-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Hello All

Does anyone know of a software program that can calculate the last 2 furlongs times? I know that we can get that from the 6fl races but I would love to have that info from all distance races.

Do most programs take in wind velocity and track variance when calculating a horses chances?

Thanks

wes
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Try Winning At The Track program. http://horseracingusa.com

wes

Pace Cap'n
12-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Download the custom PP generator from TSN. It will show the splits in actual time. If you buy a .50 file.

InControlX
12-19-2007, 05:31 PM
If you are looking for accurate splits to find subtle moves, note that most of the raw data used by the different programs has it's data origins from the track spotter's calls at the poles, including the inherant (and unavoidable) speed approximation and "late pass" errors. The only known accurate splits are those of the pole-to-pole leader.

There are ways to improve the accuracy but they can be tedious.

garyoz
12-19-2007, 10:12 PM
If you are looking for accurate splits to find subtle moves, note that most of the raw data used by the different programs has it's data origins from the track spotter's calls at the poles, including the inherant (and unavoidable) speed approximation and "late pass" errors. The only known accurate splits are those of the pole-to-pole leader.

There are ways to improve the accuracy but they can be tedious.

Welcome aboard InControlX. A very astute first post. What about tracks such as Keeneland and Woodbine that use Trackus or similar technologies?

The Judge
12-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Posttime Solutions.

InControlX
12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Welcome aboard InControlX. A very astute first post. What about tracks such as Keeneland and Woodbine that use Trackus or similar technologies?

Garyoz, you're on to what would be a good fix if the data was available in manipulative format. Is there a chart data source that brings in more than the traditional DRF Chart format of pole call position and lengths?

I'm brand new to this forum, but I'm very impressed with the level of topics and insights of the members. I've been cranking my own home grown programs in VB since 2001 on available delimited text charts & PPs, and it's good to see that there are others out there on simular quests.

lanny
12-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Many thanks for all who gave there opinions

A handicapper once told me that the key to finding a winner was to watch for the sign of improvement a few races before. His mantra was "The hosre that is stopping the least" and that could be the last place horse in the race that just showed an improvement in form and fitness and is sitting on a win providing that his next race is at his preferred class and distance.

garyoz
12-23-2007, 01:51 PM
You might want to check out the work by Carey Fotias in his book "Blinkers Off" that indicates a new pace top at the 4 furlong point in a race is a strong indicator of a form cycle move forward for dirt races.

The last 1/4 measurement is often about a horse learning how to distribute its energy. Fotias (and many others) have identified it as being a key predictor in turf races. Thus, the focus on late pace rankings (and figures) in turf handicapping.

LEN C
12-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Hello All

Does anyone know of a software program that can calculate the last 2 furlongs times? I know that we can get that from the 6fl races but I would love to have that info from all distance races.

Do most programs take in wind velocity and track variance when calculating a horses chances?

Thanks

Well, yes and no. I notice post # 6 did mention PostTime Solutions. I can't divulge whether the new program will have it or not, but I did program Dan Serra's "The Professional Handicapper" for PTS. The "NO" part is that the calculations are not readily available, even though all of what you as is calculated. The "YES" part is that it will report on horses that do have really good times for the last part of the race for three different situations:

COLBRAD - 6 furlongs
GENBRAD - 8 furlongs
MAJBRAD - 5-7 furlongs

If you own the program, I'd be glad to see if I can find a way to put these numbers somewhere for your viewing. Free of charge, of course.