PDA

View Full Version : Hungry or just Food Insecure?

Secretariat
11-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I was at the dentist today, and while waiting in their lounge I picked up a Feb. 2007 Readers Digest, page 28 and read this:

"NAY - USDA officials For substituting the term "food insecure" for "hungry" in a recent report that showed 35 million Americans went without enough to eat in 2005. Well, that's one way to wipe out the problem."

So I checked to see if this was legit or not. Sure enough -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/15/AR2006111501621.html

One more for the Bush administration.

Gibbon
11-29-2007, 08:59 PM
35 million? How is this number possible?
Every state has a food stamp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_stamp) program.
Every state has a Medicare health program.
Irrespective of ones immigration status.

Numbers are dubious unless...
money is spent of alcohol/gambling, other vices.
Economists have known for years that taxpayers redistribution of monies routinely circulate into the black market economy.

OTM Al
11-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Economists have also known for years that straight cash transfers are far more efficient than food stamps, but that doesn't sell to the main stream. Hunger is a problem in all countries and while we are in no way the worst in the world, it is still there and a great number suffering from it are children. The fact that staple food items like milk, eggs and bread have risen dramatically in price over the last year is going to cause further problems and force the poor to less nutritious choices

Tom
11-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm hungry right now. Make it 35 million and 1.

Send PIZZA !!!

Gibbon
11-29-2007, 10:16 PM
...great number suffering from it are children.... Yes, a terrible tragedy. Ghettos and poor rural children are doomed to live mostly in squaller. However, whose responsibly is it to raise kids. Taxpayers? Govt. warehousing children at orphanages? Irresponsible adults curse their children. A human condition not easily resolved.

There have been economists from the past four decades recommending forced sterilizations. Certainly controversial – in light of well established facts such children account for disproportional street crime and prison population.

Fortunately, Americans are a generous group. Outside of endless dialogue among Pols, Christians churchs actively help in this area.

betsall
11-29-2007, 11:03 PM
I was at the dentist today, and while waiting in their lounge I picked up a Feb. 2007 Readers Digest, page 28 and read this:

"NAY - USDA officials For substituting the term "food insecure" for "hungry" in a recent report that showed 35 million Americans went without enough to eat in 2005. Well, that's one way to wipe out the problem."

So I checked to see if this was legit or not. Sure enough -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/15/AR2006111501621.html

One more for the Bush administration.

Same with alot of things, you either have or have not. Fact is 75 % of the US population will be considered fat or obese by the year 2015, let's just be thankful for those that aren't going hungry.

betsall
11-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Economists have also known for years that straight cash transfers are far more efficient than food stamps, but that doesn't sell to the main stream. Hunger is a problem in all countries and while we are in no way the worst in the world, it is still there and a great number suffering from it are children. The fact that staple food items like milk, eggs and bread have risen dramatically in price over the last year is going to cause further problems and force the poor to less nutritious choices

I propose that the word poor be replaced and be ...........economically challenged.

kenwoodallpromos
11-30-2007, 06:41 AM
At least it used to be that you could only get food stamps if you had facilities to cook it. Many areas have food banks, some give food often some not as often.
There are many peoploe who have temporary food shortage due to unusually high utility bills, pay 1st, last, security for rent, etc.
Then of course there are many whose daddies are in prison or spent the paycheck gambling...