PDA

View Full Version : NJ gets more Dates, ACRC facing last live meet

bane
11-29-2007, 04:03 PM
New Jersey tracks get 21 more racing dates in 2008

by Tom De Martini

Four weeks removed from hosting the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, New Jersey racing officials are faced with finding ways to spread an uncertain amount of purse money over 21 additional live racing dates.

The New Jersey Racing Commission awarded Monmouth Park and the Meadowlands 141 Thoroughbred racing dates at its November 28 meeting in Trenton, New Jersey.http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2007/November/29/New-Jersey-tracks-get-21-more-racing-dates-in-2008.aspx

njcurveball
11-29-2007, 04:20 PM
“They haven’t run more than a 30-day meet since 1997. This is the eleventh year they’ve promised the commission they would run a longer meet,” he said.

Don't count them out yet. They will smooth talk another 5 years or so with some new excuse.

They chose NOT to be part of the on-line betting in NJ as well.

Perhaps this will get their attention! :ThmbUp:

onefast99
11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
“They haven’t run more than a 30-day meet since 1997. This is the eleventh year they’ve promised the commission they would run a longer meet,” he said.

Don't count them out yet. They will smooth talk another 5 years or so with some new excuse.

They chose NOT to be part of the on-line betting in NJ as well.

Perhaps this will get their attention! :ThmbUp:
I send 2 horses to the AC meet every spring, Philly park administers the purse monies and all I can tell you is if you get into the race(NJ breds have 1st choice) and you have a decent turf horse you can take home some decent money. I would hate to see that meet get cancelled.

njcurveball
11-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I would hate to see that meet get cancelled.

I take off work to go there and I agree with you 100%. I can see Simulcasting 364 days a year. At least give us 20 days of real live horses! :ThmbUp:

Southieboy
11-29-2007, 10:35 PM
What is export a simulcast signal?

njcurveball
11-29-2007, 10:37 PM
What is export a simulcast signal?

They did not allow any simulcasting of their races the last 3 years. I guess they didn't want to attract too much attention.

The ONLY place you could bet them, was on track, so that is what they mean "export a signal".

If anyone could see a movie of the way this track has been run since being bought by Phila Park, it would look a lot like the Producers. They have done everything they can to turn it into a failure.

Perhaps being told to close will make the people running it wake up?

Doc
11-30-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm wondering what the fate of AyCee will be now that Hal Handel has left Greenwood. He was overseeing the rebuilding of the grandstand into a modern structure that would serve as both a live racing/simulcasting venue. Not a peep out of them since Hal left on that project. Also, the only reason Greenwood has even had a live meet the last few years is to keep their license to build an OTB and to simulcast. They really couldn't give two hoots about live racing. I guess the few dates that are run are better than nothing ... they were considering selling the place for a Caballa's (sporting goods) store, decided against it. I used to love going to AyCee at night in its heyday, would hate to see it closed.

Doc

onefast99
11-30-2007, 09:07 AM
They did not allow any simulcasting of their races the last 3 years. I guess they didn't want to attract too much attention.

The ONLY place you could bet them, was on track, so that is what they mean "export a signal".

If anyone could see a movie of the way this track has been run since being bought by Phila Park, it would look a lot like the Producers. They have done everything they can to turn it into a failure.

Philly park runs the track Levy still owns it and wont sell now. Philly park does a good job putting the races together and administering the purses.

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Philly park runs the track Levy still owns it and wont sell now. .

If you are talking about ACRC I think you need to get a refresher course on the facts, my friend. :ThmbDown:

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm wondering what the fate of AyCee will be now that Hal Handel has left Greenwood. He was overseeing the rebuilding of the grandstand into a modern structure that would serve as both a live racing/simulcasting venue.

This was all "lip service" my friend, they did not even spend 1 minute with the planning board proposing this to date.

onefast99
11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
If you are talking about ACRC I think you need to get a refresher course on the facts, my friend. :ThmbDown:
You are correct it is Hal Handel who owns both AC and Philly Park. I read an article that he is also a part owner of Freehold? Is that true? If that is why wouldnt he want to put any monies into this facility and send the signal out to gain more racing days it has to be profitable.

john del riccio
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM

Two years ago, i sent a filly to AC for a grass race. I knew she was several lengths better than on dirt. She was training well enough and was coming off a small layoff with pretty non-descript dirt form. I drove to the MED intending to place apretty nice wager only to find out that you coul donly bet at AC.

Needless to say, I was floored....
I called my trainer and told him to bet for me and he said he didn't bring that much money with him and I had to settle for a 100.00 win bet.

She wins at 9-1 !!

"New jersey & You, perfect together !"

John

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
You are correct it is Hal Handel who owns both AC and Philly Park. I read an article that he is also a part owner of Freehold? Is that true?

Freehold was purchased for 46 million in 1999 by Pennwood (partnership between Penn National and Greenwood).

ACRC was bought by Greenwood for 13 million in 2001.

I don't know about Handel, but Greenwood owns a piece of Freehold.

onefast99
11-30-2007, 10:37 AM
You are correct it is Hal Handel who owns both AC and Philly Park. I read an article that he is also a part owner of Freehold? Is that true? If that is why wouldnt he want to put any monies into this facility and send the signal out to gain more racing days it has to be profitable.
Hal is the CEO of greenwood in an article in Thoroughbred Times he discussed putting his efforts into the Atlantic City racetrack rebuild. The article is dated may 2007. He left his CEO responsibilities with The turf club behind to concentrate on AC. Sounds like they are going to do something to stay alive.

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Hal is the CEO of greenwood in an article in Thoroughbred Times he discussed putting his efforts into the Atlantic City racetrack rebuild. The article is dated may 2007. He left his CEO responsibilities with The turf club behind to concentrate on AC. Sounds like they are going to do something to stay alive.

I don't know where you are coming up with these things? In August Handel went to NYRA. He doesn't give a Rats A$$ about Jersey any more my friend.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/2007-08-23-3347555743_x.htm

onefast99
11-30-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't know where you are coming up with these things? In August Handel went to NYRA. He doesn't give a Rats A$$ about Jersey any more my friend.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/2007-08-23-3347555743_x.htm

As I said it was from an article in May 2007, I didnt know he went to NYRA but I appreciate your information, and still it doesnt change the status of NJ racing which is what this post was originally about!!!

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 02:44 PM
As I said it was from an article in May 2007, I didnt know he went to NYRA but I appreciate your information, and still it doesnt change the status of NJ racing which is what this post was originally about!!!

I agree with you 100%. Your post made it sound like Handel was coming to the rescue of Atlantic City Race Course, which was never going to happen.

He was simply giving "lip service" to reporters who were giving him a hard time about the OTB fiasco where they waited 6 years to build one small OTB in Vineland which has 200 parking spaces and caters more to football than racing fans.

Handel was never going to help NJ racing, as his paycheck always came from another state.

I guess what surprised me the most was that you are a horse owner and kept using his name and posting like you thought he was.

jma
11-30-2007, 02:57 PM
I agree with you 100%. Your post made it sound like Handel was coming to the rescue of Atlantic City Race Course, which was never going to happen.

He was simply giving "lip service" to reporters who were giving him a hard time about the OTB fiasco where they waited 6 years to build one small OTB in Vineland which has 200 parking spaces and caters more to football than racing fans.

Handel was never going to help NJ racing, as his paycheck always came from another state.

I guess what surprised me the most was that you are a horse owner and kept using his name and posting like you thought he was.

Handel was doing really well in this thread---first he owned racetracks (!), then he was coming to save them...too bad none of that has ever happened in real life.

Atlantic City was great 50 years ago. In recent years they run a couple token days just to keep their right to simulcast. There's no interest in refurbishing the track. If there was, it wouldn't have done so poorly that it went bankrupt.

onefast99
11-30-2007, 03:00 PM
All I know is the purse monies are distributed by Philly park, we wait 8 days for the funds to clear when you pick up a check at AC in the spring. The article I was referring to was dated May 2007 it was in the Thoroughbred Times which can be googled, he states that he was giving up his Turf Club duties to "focus" on the OTB issues and the AC racetrack in NJ. As I scanned all the articles I saw the one where NYRA hired him and wondered how he could handle two states. It is apparant he isnt and cant. You talk about the OTB parlor in Vineland I was under the impression they were knocking down an old supermarket to build more parking spots is that not in the works? Did you ever go to the Mcloones Favorites in Fords, it is really nice. Good food and plenty of simulcasting. But back to the subject of AC racing why dont they just let the signal go it is only a short meet?

onefast99
11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Handel was doing really well in this thread---first he owned racetracks (!), then he was coming to save them...too bad none of that has ever happened in real life.

Atlantic City was great 50 years ago. In recent years they run a couple token days just to keep their right to simulcast. There's no interest in refurbishing the track. If there was, it wouldn't have done so poorly that it went bankrupt.
Read the article in May 2007 Thoroughbred Times makes it sound like Greenwood and Handel are really pushing for the track to get rebuilt also mentions they are doing a cost study with his construction team. I guess a few people arent doing too well today at the track!

bane
11-30-2007, 03:13 PM
heck sometime in 06 ACR was the cover of The Times about how its going to come back. Still waiting.

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Read the article in May 2007 Thoroughbred Times makes it sound like Greenwood and Handel are really pushing for the track to get rebuilt also mentions they are doing a cost study with his construction team. I guess a few people arent doing too well today at the track!

I live in the area and we have heard all of this "postive spin" for the past decade.

We had Cabelas coming, a car track, luxury housing, etc. It is always some kind of spin to keep them from focusing on the issue of the track being run so terribly.

I understand you WANT to believe, heck I do too. First step is for them to go to the planning board and that step has never been taking.

I could tell you I am building a million dollar pool house in my back yard. Would you believe me?

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 03:23 PM
This is the snake oil they sell people. I can see why you are confused if you keep believing evey thing they say.

From November 2006

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2006/November/15/Atlantic-City-Racing-Association-requests-extended-meet-in-2008.aspx

Atlantic City Racing Association requests extended meet in 2008

Officials from Atlantic City Racing Association informed the New Jersey Racing Commission on Wednesday of its intention to request a 20-day live Thoroughbred race meeting in 2008.

From November 2007

The commission granted Atlantic City live dates of April 23-25 and April 30-May 1 on the condition track officials take steps to export a simulcast signal and agree not to request a 2009 meeting of less than 20 days.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2007/November/28/New-Jersey-facing-more-live-dates-with-expiring-purse-supplement.aspx

onefast99
11-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I could tell you I am building a million dollar pool house in my back yard. Would you believe me?[/QUOTE]
If its in Thoroughbred Times, which I get for free and I dont know why then I would believe it!;)

njcurveball
11-30-2007, 04:27 PM
If its in Thoroughbred Times, which I get for free and I dont know why then I would believe it!;)

Ok, got ya! ;)

Looks like they are running 20 days this year then, THAT was in Thoroughbred Times! :ThmbUp:

From November 2006

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/na...et-in-2008.aspx (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2006/November/15/Atlantic-City-Racing-Association-requests-extended-meet-in-2008.aspx)

Atlantic City Racing Association requests extended meet in 2008

Officials from Atlantic City Racing Association informed the New Jersey Racing Commission on Wednesday of its intention to request a 20-day live Thoroughbred race meeting in 2008.