PDA

View Full Version : 32 College Bowl Games

rrbauer
11-29-2007, 09:31 AM
I remember when a bowl game was the reward for the top teams and conference champs. Now you can become "bowl eligible" by winning half your games. It's kind of like the NHL and NBA playoffs. Who isn't playing?

harnesslover
11-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I remember when a bowl game was the reward for the top teams and conference champs. Now you can become "bowl eligible" by winning half your games. It's kind of like the NHL and NBA playoffs. Who isn't playing?

Come on, look at the bright side, it's 32 betting opportunities.

GaryG
11-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Is there a more aggravating cliche than Bowl Eligible? Some team is 6 and 6 and they are BOWL ELIGIBLE!. They're on the way to the Poontang Bowl folks!

Marshall Bennett
11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
yeah , and I watch most of them simply because theres nothing else on TV thats worth a damn !!

RaceBookJoe
11-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Its great to be able to watch the games, but what I hate are the names. Growing up we had the Liberty Bowl, Sugar Bowl etc.....now everything is tied in with a sponser. The Sugar Bowl is now something like the Nokia Sugar Bowl, another game is now called the papajohns.com bowl. Whats next....the Google.com Kentucky Derby.... i guess it is a sign that I am getting too old for this world...and i am only 41 haha.

rastajenk
11-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Where you been? :D The Derby already has a corporate name.

I agree, though. It all started going downhill with the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl about 15 years ago, and has gotten more ridiculous since.

And what ramps up the holiday spirit like watching a bowl game with 10,000 lonely-looking souls in a 75,000 seat facility at a game where both teams wished they were somewhere else right now?

kenwoodallpromos
11-29-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm still waiting for the Tidy Bowl!

rrbauer
11-29-2007, 02:55 PM

:lol: :lol:

RaceBookJoe
11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Where you been? :D The Derby already has a corporate name.

I agree, though. It all started going downhill with the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl about 15 years ago, and has gotten more ridiculous since.

And what ramps up the holiday spirit like watching a bowl game with 10,000 lonely-looking souls in a 75,000 seat facility at a game where both teams wished they were somewhere else right now?

Probably sniffing too much glue hah. Its all about the money, the games seem just to be a side product. I cant imagine any player getting too excited about winner the godaddy.com bowl much less the all important papajohns.com bowl.

RaceBookJoe
11-29-2007, 04:25 PM

That game should be between the 2 worst teams in the country. Both teams have to at least be 0-fers...that way someone could actually get a win.

skate
11-29-2007, 04:25 PM
got to agree with 'All' the above post.

not too long ago (um, 25 years), i made sure to be in bed before 9pm on New Years eve, just so i'd be ready for the new- yrs -day- bowl- games.

now, i still retire by 9pm and sleep thru most of the games.

Hosshead
11-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Its great to be able to watch the games, but what I hate are the names. Growing up we had the Liberty Bowl, Sugar Bowl etc.....now everything is tied in with a sponser. The Sugar Bowl is now something like the Nokia Sugar Bowl, another game is now called the papajohns.com bowl. Whats next.....
It has gotten ridiculous hasn't it ?
Now (no kidding) it's the First Down (superimposed) Line, brought to you by - name the sponser !
The stats are now tagged with a sponsor.
Next thing you know, the teams will cut a deal with the corporations and we'll hear:
"LSU has just broken their Verizon huddle, they're in the Winchester Shotgun formation, going for a Sony third and 10.

BIG RED
12-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Classic!!

Agree with way to much ease to get into a Bowl Game. It's just $$$ talking.