PDA

View Full Version : Any experts on this forum in pin hooking?

onefast99
11-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I had an offer put in front of me yesterday for pin hooking, the group included 15 horses ready to go to the sales many with great breeding, mostly Fla breds. Any information on this type of business would be helpful. Thanks!

Grits
11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Their goal is getting an eighth in .10 flat. Few young horses are capable of this, but pinhookers work at getting every last run of speed they can from them.

I liken pinhookers to folks that flip real estate. Gather some investors, put in a little time and a little money, bring 'em back, send them through the sales ring and pray for boxcar profit. Same mindset as with homes, though we know that's not working out so good right now.

The only thing more vulnerable than a racehorse . . . a yearling or a two year old in training. And if you ever see one of these young ones go down trying its damndest to get that .10 flat in a breeze show, you may feel as I do about pinhookers.

Either way, whatever you decide, good luck. And obviously, I'm not an expert, I've simply seen a lot of breeze shows.

russowen77
11-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Most of the pinhookers in the area go in either of two directions. They buy weanlings and sell as yearlings or they buy yearlings and sell as 2 yo in training. The last group imo has ruined numerous fine horses. You take risks in trying to get a 2 yo to go as fast as possible for a video for the sale.

In breeding the majority of the pinhookers prefer outcrosses to speed influenced new stallions.

It is a differnent thing to breed for your own racehorses or broodmares or to breed for the sales. A whole different kettle of fish.

Bloodhorse has a nice little book on the basis of pinhooking.

point given
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Agree with the sentiments expressed by others on the thread regarding pinhooking. In regards to getting into it; I believe the curve is going the other way now, and there arenot as many successful ops doing this right now. Lots of 'em pulled from sales, and RNA's . Good competition at sales for the cream, but after that its tougher sledding. I think the pinhook game has seen its day, not to say there willnot be exceptions. I remember reading an article on this last month, but don't recall where, maybe brisnet, and they were talking about the better known pinhookers not doing great this year. Will post if i find it

theiman
11-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Was The Green Monkey a pinhook?

I thought he sold for a few hundred thousand then worked in Florida and sold for $16M

If so, only need one of those to retire.

witchdoctor
11-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Try asking at WWW.Pedigreequery.com

There are alot of knowledgable people over there. There are some others that think they know a lot. One guys is a pinhooker that had the sales topper at Ocala last year. He also pinhooked Brushed Bayou. I can't remember his name.

Shenanigans
11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Buy weanlings to sell as yearlings. Don't bother with the yearlings to two-year olds. Too risky and the profit isn't as high after all the training bills and such.
A good eye is needed for weanling pinhooking however. Weanlings can be ugly as hell but a good feeding regiment and the right care will make a beautiful yearling the next year. Key ingredients: Straight legs, good bone and a smart eye.;)

CryingForTheHorses
11-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Buy weanlings to sell as yearlings. Don't bother with the yearlings to two-year olds. Too risky and the profit isn't as high after all the training bills and such.
A good eye is needed for weanling pinhooking however. Weanlings can be ugly as hell but a good feeding regiment and the right care will make a beautiful yearling the next year. Key ingredients: Straight legs, good bone and a smart eye.;)

I agre with you.Looking after these little guys will only inhance your sales. Its better to raise good looking weanlings to sell as yearlings.TOOOOOOO much can go wrongin getting a 2yo to the sale

dutzman
11-29-2007, 09:51 PM
make sure you trust the leader of this venture. Also, be sure the venture is formed as an LLC. One thing I like about the description you gave is their are 15 horses involved. This decreases your risk, as one or two nice scores can make up for some of the horses who are guaranteed to not sell well.....PM me with any questions......

witchdoctor
11-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Try asking at WWW.Pedigreequery.com

There are alot of knowledgable people over there. There are some others that think they know a lot. One guys is a pinhooker that had the sales topper at Ocala last year. He also pinhooked Brushed Bayou. I can't remember his name.

The successful pinhooker on pedigreequery in Dray33.

That said, Don't invest any money you can'y afford to lose.