PDA

View Full Version : SUV Comeback?

JustRalph
11-29-2007, 05:28 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22010210/

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060103/060103_tahoe_hmed_12p.hmedium.jpg
Many people who dumped their SUVs when gas prices really spiked have realized they need the space they had when they were driving big vehicles like the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe shown here.

By David Welch

updated 3:19 p.m. ET, Wed., Nov. 28, 2007
With oil prices flirting with $100 a barrel, who in the world would want a large, gas-guzzling sport-utility vehicle?

Quite a lot of people, as it turns out. In the used-car market, at least, demand for midsize and large SUVs is surprisingly strong. While still far below the boom years of the late 1990s and the early part of this decade, it's proof consumers' yen for boulevard behemoths isn't dead.

Data from Black Book, a division of Hearst Business Media which tracks used-car pricing and resale values, indicate the average resale values for large SUVs are bouncing back from their 2006 low, says Ricky Beggs, Black Book's vice-president and managing editor.

~much more at the link~

DJofSD
11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
I've always considered the SUV to be the station wagon revisited. Sure, there's the mini van but who wants to drive one of those?

GaryG
11-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Not very green of me but I sure like the feel of a V8. 4WD is a must.

Grits
11-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I drove GMC 4WD Suburbans for 14 years, and loved 'em. I could haul anything I bought at Lowes, or fill the back of them full of shrubbery or whatever. In 2002, I gave 'em up and bought an Avalon . . . drove it 4 years and in 2006, bought another Avalon.

I missed "my truck" in a bad way. Its hard to put shrubbery and fertilizer in a damn Avalon.:lol: Still, I've done it. Have to cover the seats, to at least protect 'em somewhat.

Couldn't stand it anymore though, so I went and bought a small truck. Every woman needs a truck, its not just a guy thing.

DJofSD
11-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Given a choice of women to date and with all other things being equal, I'll go for the women that drives a truck every time.

PaceAdvantage
11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
This is why when folks complain about the price of gas, I have to laugh as I look around the highway and see all these SUVs whizzing by....I'm no saint myself, I drive an old V8 (not SUV) and a SUV (not a big honker...just a V6).But then again, I don't complain about the price of gas....

harnesslover
11-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Al Gore has an SUV. Kind of ironic.

Gibbon
11-29-2007, 12:42 PM
SUV to be the station wagon revisited http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/home.jsp?goto_page=/h2/highlights/h2_highlights_story.swf&goto_nav=h2?seo=goo_hummer_h2

ponyplayerdotca
11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
What I've never understood is the need to drive an SUV as your everyday vehicle.

Most average families have two vehicles these days, one a car. Or at least those families who can afford an SUV have more than one vehicle.

My question is why don't you drive the car for everyday (go to work, groceries, errands) and only drive the SUV on a "need to" basis (for long trips or Home Depot visits)?

The true problem is that everybody who wanted to "buy a car" was buying an SUV for many years there. Then, they would drive them everyday for no good reason other than "well, this is my car".

The SUV shouldn't be used unless special circumstances require it. That's just my opinion. Probably an unpopular one.

GaryG
11-29-2007, 01:49 PM
The SUV shouldn't be used unless special circumstances require it. That's just my opinion. Probably an unpopular one.In many areas, including where I live, a lot of driving is done in rather rugged country. Especially during the winter months it is just more practical. I see your point though for those who drive mainly in the big cities.

JustRalph
11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
I have owned several trucks, F-150 etc.........but my tahoe hauls more than any truck.....with the seats down. And it is covered. Now if you haul things taller than 4ft ........you need an open bed.............

If I had to do it again....... I would get a surburban...........