PDA

View Full Version : Question: Is the world a better place now than 1965?

Dave Schwartz
11-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Simple enough question - How is the world now as compared to 1965?

All things considered...

Is it a better place?
Is it a worse place?
Is it about the same?

Tom
11-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Generally, about the same. The islamic menace has replaced communism , but many more people are free today than then.

The USA is FAR better off than back then.

kenwoodallpromos
11-25-2007, 05:35 AM
1965 was just before the race riots and before Vietnam exploded. Cars were better, many goods cheaper.

Greyfox
11-25-2007, 05:36 AM
In 1965 a Service Station attendant would check your oil.
Today, you can hardly find a Service Station far less an attendant.

rastajenk
11-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Which is a good thing. Now I can just pull in, get gas, and get the hell out without having to interact with a person. Back then, while he's checking your oil, he can slice a belt or tell you that you need a new this-or-that, and a five-minute pit stop becomes a two-hour ordeal. :eek:

Marshall Bennett
11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
I suppose due to advanced technology we're better off . Advances in medicine certainly allow us to live more comfortably . The question is : one theory has it that technically advanced civilizations run the risk of destroying themselves by those same means . Could that happen here on earth ?

Greyfox
11-25-2007, 11:12 AM
How many types of exotic bets could you make in 1965?
1. Daily Double 2. Quinella 3. ???

ddog
11-25-2007, 12:00 PM
of course much better but only because the baby boomer generation is finally coming to an end as far as the leadership of this country.
Maybe one more election cycle and we will be done with it.

despite what I complain about sometimes about the under 30 set that I come in contact with , I think they are as a group much more grounded in what it will take to help this country progress and also help the world progress.

If us old baby boomers don't make a complete wreak of the country before the last of our cursed generation retires.

what a pile of crap(so far) we are handing them compared to what we were given to start with.

:ThmbDown:

Tom
11-25-2007, 12:30 PM
The under 3- crowd of 1965 was far superior to the nuts that are under 30 today. I shudder to think what this generations of nitwits will do. Seriously.

46zilzal
11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
As I pointed out in another post: living in the past is easier as you know everything about it. There is no danger.

Having worked many years with geriatrics (many of whom lived in the past to a degree that it was harmful to them) it is a common ploy. No change, no challenge, no reality.

Sailwolf
11-25-2007, 12:36 PM
The under 3- crowd of 1965 was far superior to the nuts that are under 30 today. I shudder to think what this generations of nitwits will do. Seriously.

Do you have any kids or grankids? Are you talking from personal experience?

I would love to post this on facebook

"under 3- crowd of 1965" That would include the "hippies"

Tom
11-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I am basing it on the ones I come into contact with in daily life. We are turning out too many idiots from our liberal schools.

betsall
11-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Has to be better cause we are becoming God like, can clone animals. What's next? Bringing people back from the dead, on the spot or years later?

Grits
11-25-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't believe we are far better off than we were in 1965. Unless one wants to celebrate the tearing down of the Berlin Wall and the demise of the Cold War, which we can trade for the current one we're engaged in--I figure we're simply just further down the road.

Our planet is in much greater peril due to our own abuses.

Every politician we elect becomes a whore. If you can't do diddly become a politician. Greatest ride in the country--any country. Employment package is without parallel.

We have outsourced overseas, every possible item that we could, thanks to the greed of corporate America. We don't have to worry about the Middle East, hell, China's gonna kill us with lead, contaminated seafood, and other edible/non edible Chinese imports. All of this is just the tip of the iceberg that is poor, filthy, underpaid, overworked Communism fueled by the everpresent "greed for green" of good old Corporate America.

We've come quite far in medicine, though the cancer rate is not dropping--heart disease, yes, we do have a much better handle on. And that is due to both, our choices, and to medical technology.

Advances in medicine are a fine thing, in that yes--we are living longer, at the same time though, we are a nation that does not revere, nor respect, age. In some regard, we need to say, do we live longer simply because we can? Because medicine and physicians are able to keep us alive?

Quality of life is important. And as a nation, we leave much to be desired when it comes to caring for our elders, given our health insurance problems, etc, etc.

We are not turning out half as many idiots as we are those who are, shall we say, uninspired. Lazy could also apply for some, since learning last week that 50% of all male college grads return home to live with their parents. Granted, maybe this is only until they get on their feet. I sure hope so. This is our future we're talking about. And yes, their mothers work on their resumes for them.

Let's don't discuss crime rate.

I'm done pretty much. I'm tired of typing.:lol:

My thoughts are simple, though I'm probably "in over my head" again--so please, understand that I'll do the best I can to follow along.;)

Grits
11-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Has to be better cause we are becoming God like, can clone animals. What's next? Bringing people back from the dead, on the spot or years later?

Talk to Ted Williams family on that one. LOL

Greyfox
11-25-2007, 01:17 PM
1965 main over land communication was by phone.

Today, we can thank Al Gore for inventing the internet. :lol:

46zilzal
11-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Generally, about the same. The islamic menace has replaced communism , but many more people are free today than then.

The new INVENTED bad boys??? funny

All under one label, just as narrow a scope as Tail Gunner Joseph McCarthy.

Greyfox
11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes. I know that it is dangerous to "generalize."
But I recently had an experience that brought me to two police stations to
ask questions about a friend's situation.
IMO, in general, in 1965 the Police, who I have always had respect for
were far more approachable and accommodating than they are today.

Grits
11-25-2007, 03:29 PM
This is an excellent question that has the potential to be an outstanding thread. Much could be stated, and gleaned for contemplation, therefore, making an interesting exchange.

One liners that pose thoughts that resort to no more than political posturing would do the question a disservice.

A fine question DaveS.

Grits
11-25-2007, 03:33 PM
In 1965 a Service Station attendant would check your oil.
Today, you can hardly find a Service Station far less an attendant.

I live in a small city of 55K, there is only one service station here that I am aware of with Full Service.

The last time someone pumped my gas, I was in Ozone Park, New York. I had just left Aqueduct.

Ozone Park is a good place for Full Service!

Marshall Bennett
11-25-2007, 03:54 PM
One thing for damn sure ... the music was better in 1965 !!!

Grits
11-25-2007, 04:12 PM
One thing for damn sure ... the music was better in 1965 !!!

Man, isn't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secretariat
11-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Since the question is phrased "world" I would say due to the affects of global warming and the melting of the icecaps, the "world" is facing much more dire consequences than they did 30 years ago. This in addition to the proliferation of nuclear weapons among many other countries.

ceejay
11-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Since the question is phrased "world" I would say due to the affects of global warming and the melting of the icecaps,
Yeah, 30 years ago we worried about global cooling and the impending ice age ;) .

Tom
11-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Man, isn't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got that right!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_JN5lPCC0

kenwoodallpromos
11-25-2007, 08:12 PM
In 1965 my high school was not required to have this Ca plan in effect:

SB 187: School Safety Plan_ 5

School Safety Planning Committee_ 7

Annual Safety Goals_ 9

Mandated Policies and Procedures_ 16

Child Abuse Reporting_ 18

Suspension and Expulsion Policies_ 22

Staff Notification of Dangerous Students_ 25

Sexual Harassment Policy_ 30

Procedures for Safe Ingress and Egress_ 34

School Discipline_ 39

Dress Code_ 41

Routine and Emergency Disaster Procedures: Drills_ 43

Earthquake Drills_ 44

Fire Drills_ 46

Code Red/Lockdown Drills_ 47

Routine and Emergency Disaster Procedures: Overview 49

The Basic Plan_ 50

Definitions: Incidents, Emergencies, Disasters_ 54

Earthquake Overview_ 56

Levels of Response_ 58

Response Level Diagram_ 59

Emergency Phases_ 60

First Things First 62

District and Parent Responsibilities for Students_ 63

Emergency Response Procedures_ 65

Basic Actions_ 66

Earthquake_ 69

Fire_ 71

Power Outage / Rolling Blackouts_ 73

Shelter-in-Place: Code Blue_ 75

Bomb Threat 76

Intruder on Campus_ 79

Hostage Situation_ 80

Lockdown: Code Red_ 81

Poisoning, Chemical Spills, Hazardous Materials_ 82

Emergency Evacuation Routes and Procedures_ 87

Medical Emergencies_ 90

Triage Guidelines_ 92

Suicide_ 94

Mass Casualty_ 95

Bio Terrorism_ 97

Immunization & Mass Prophylaxis Pandemic & Bio-Terrorism 102

Incident Command System_ 106

Responsibilities for a School Disaster 107

Staging Areas_ 112

Emergency Response Teams_ 113

District Emergency Directory_ 117

District Emergency Operations Center 118

Emergency Communications_ 119

Media Contact Information_ 123

Recovery_ 124

Appendices_ 126

Annual Emergency Awareness/ Preparedness Checklists & Forms 128

Homeland Security Advisory System_ 155

Steve 'StatMan'
11-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Medications like Ibuprofen for pain, Paxil to counter depression, and Mydol & Pamprin for PMS. Definitely a better world, or at least in our individual/home lives.

JustRalph
11-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Since the question is phrased "world" I would say due to the affects of global warming and the melting of the icecaps, the "world" is facing much more dire consequences than they did 30 years ago. This in addition to the proliferation of nuclear weapons among many other countries.

As usual,,,,,,,,, running from ghosts

Dave Schwartz
11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I must say that I am really surprised. I always assumed that most people see the world as I do on this topic. Most illuminating to see that I am in the minority.

The way I see it, the baby boomer generation (of which I am a card-carrying member) literally ruined the world.

Sure, we worried about the bomb, But "drive-by shooting" was not even in our vernacular back then. Either was "AIDS."

We had that despicable thing called racism. (Still do, but now it has been deemed "illegal.") Not much real change there. And, as Tom pointed out, we "fixed" it by absolutely destroying the fabric of the black community.

We did not get sued by the burglar who tripped over our coffee table as he robbed us in the dark. Hurting someone while driving drunk did not result in the bartender getting sued for serving us too many drinks.

We, as a country, understood that "In God We Trust" was an example of religious tolerance. (The tolerant part is the fact that the "God" you might be referring to could be called something else: Allah, Jehovah, or Fred the Goat. Please note the capital "G" in goat.)

Simply put, we had freedom of religion. Now we have freedom from religion.

We did not have "terrorism." It would simply not have been tolerated by the most powerful country in the world. If an American citizen was actually held captive in a foreign country, that country would be given an ultimatum to produce the Americans or face the consequences. And the consequences were the U.S. Marines. The Marines were the solution, not two years of negotiation with criminals.

We had pride in America and pride to be an American. That means that anyone who said they were "ashamed to be an American" would be rejected by other Americans. Nazis were not welcomed. Communists were not welcomed. It was not "just another point of view." They were points of view contrary to the principles founding our country, as such they were rejected.

We stood as "one people." Americans first.

We went to war because we understood following our leaders. Now we think it is alright to "just say 'no.'"

We accepted the mandate of the people as being absolute. That is, we accepted an election as the final word of the people until the next election, as the electorate system was designed.

We were a "mixing bowl" of people from all over the world who came here to be Americans because that is who lives in America. Now we have, as an elementary school teacher told me one day, "... more of a 'salad bowl, just tossed together,' where people don't have to be American in order to take advantage of life in the United States." --- And how is THAT going?

We didn't have illegal immigrants demanding the same rights as citizens. We also did not need to explain why that entire concept is nuts.

We did not have a 50% divorce rate. Families stayed together, sometimes paying a price for their poor choice in a mate. Now, the children of the family pay the price, but , hey, everyone's got a right to be happy, don't they?

I guess I could go on and on. (Perhaps I already have.)

My point is that I obviously am out of touch with the "America of today." I am beginning to think I need to remain out of touch.

Regards to all,
Dave Schwartz

Tom
11-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Just be ready to stand up and smack the libs back down and you will be fine. Thier cancer has only planted the seeds of the new America. This bunch of looneys will not last - abortion alone will take care of them. That is why I don't get to upset by it - it is murder, but at least half of libs, so no big deal.
The next terroist attack can only be half as bad as the last, again, half will be libs, so no big deal. Wehn they legislate the economic ruin of the world through global warming, I have no doubt which side wil lthe be ones who rise to the occassion and rebuilt it back better - just look at New Orleans and you will the lib response to catastrophe - lazy don't get the job done.

I am just dying to see Sec take on 100 illegals to see who gets that last ear of corn -Sec for his feel good car, or the hungry hoards.
:lol::lol::lol:

46zilzal
11-25-2007, 11:20 PM
This 'My country right or wrong" malarkey is still just that.

Dave Schwartz
11-25-2007, 11:39 PM
This 'My country right or wrong" malarkey is still just that.

Spoken like a true not-American.

Greyfox
11-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I must say that I am really surprised. I always assumed that most people see the world as I do on this topic. Most illuminating to see that I am in the minority.

Regards to all,
Dave Schwartz

Excuse me Dave, but you haven't indicated what you are really surprised by in our honest postings.
How were we supposed to see the world? Why didn't you put your contribution up front from the "getgo?"

Excuse me Dave, but in my humble opinion, you are being a bit of an
a- hole (small a , but again I might add) in your response to the thread that you started.

For starters, you never gave us any of the "gripes or roses" that you had re:
then and now with respect to 1965 and today.
I suckered in and contributed. (Several times I might add.)
Your epistle above was well thought out.
Why didn't you lay it out earlier?
If that's what you wanted responses to, why didn't you let us know?
Once again, as once before with one of your threads, I feel "suckered in."
If you had an AGENDA other than to KEEP DAVE SCHWARTZ
AS A HEADLINER, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST LET US KNOW?

In this instance:
You posted a thread.
People responded.
You replied... "I'm surprised" and wrote an epistle.
Surprised in what?
You asked the question.
We gave our responses.
If you had that epistle in mind, why not post it first?

Well Dave Schwartz
if that's your style, take a stroll to the bathroom.
There's something above the SINK that you should look in.
Ask that face as to why you really do what you do?

46zilzal
11-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Everyone, from the day they learn how to discern, makes judgments. Those that don't, make up the many clones we see today: following the crowd not having an idea what they are doing about anything, YET complaining when things they have some control over begin to go bad.

Eat the pablum, invite the result. Question, investigate there is a chance to change it.

Question everything, PARTICULARLY the lying ass government made up of a bunch of power brokers who don't give a rat's ass about you or the next guy ONLY $$$$$$$$$$.

SmartyMarty
11-25-2007, 11:55 PM
there was no Formulator 4.1 in 1965...

so it's better now..

Greyfox
11-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Everyone, from the day they learn how to discern, makes judgments. Those that don't, make up the many clones we see today: following the crowd not having an idea what they are doing about anything, YET complaining when things they have some control over begin to go bad.

Eat the pablum, invite the result. Question, investigate there is a chance to change it.

Question everything, PARTICULARLY the lying ass government made up of a bunch of power brokers who don't give a rat's ass about you or the next guy ONLY $$$$$$$$$$.

I for one did all of those things in 1965. I do them today.
That is why I've questioned D.S. above.

riskman
11-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Just be ready to stand up and smack the libs back down and you will be fine. Thier cancer has only planted the seeds of the new America. This bunch of looneys will not last - abortion alone will take care of them. That is why I don't get to upset by it - it is murder, but at least half of libs, so no big deal.
The next terroist attack can only be half as bad as the last, again, half will be libs, so no big deal. Wehn they legislate the economic ruin of the world through global warming, I have no doubt which side wil lthe be ones who rise to the occassion and rebuilt it back better - just look at New Orleans and you will the lib response to catastrophe - lazy don't get the job done.

I am just dying to see Sec take on 100 illegals to see who gets that last ear of corn -Sec for his feel good car, or the hungry hoards.
:lol::lol::lol:

Until recently, Mr. Bush did not vetoed a single bill, nor did he even bother to employ conservative rhetoric. Have you ever seen Bush give a speech in which he says government is too big and we need to cut costs.When you have a president who has a bunch of his own spending initiatives like the Medicare drug bill, it makes it difficult for him to go out and say that Congress is being wasteful.

Columnists have coined the phrase “Big-Government Republicans” to describe the current crop of free spenders now controlling the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives. Many of the president’s closest advisors are Big-Government Republicans, former leftists who have no qualms about spending huge amounts of money both at home and abroad to achieve supposedly conservative ends. The conservatives suffered through decades of Democratic control of Congress, always believing that liberals were to blame for the relentless growth of the federal government. When Republicans finally took control of Congress in 1994, many saw an opportunity for a real conservative revolution. But first, conservatives were told, the Democratic administration had to be removed. In the meantime, spending continued unabated throughout the 1990s. When Republicans won the White House in 2000, another opportunity seemed at hand. The Senate, however, was still in Democratic hands – the last possible GOP scapegoat. Finally, in 2002 the GOP took control of the Senate and increased its majority in the U.S. House. Surely this was the moment conservatives had been waiting for! Yet they spent more than ever, including the disastrous Medicare Prescription bill that will cost trillions over coming decades. The latest line is that the GOP needs a filibuster-proof Senate of 60 Republicans, and then, finally, the party can begin to implement a conservative agenda.

At what point will conservatives stop accepting these excuses? When does the conservative base of the GOP, a base that remains firmly committed to the principle of limited government, finally demand new leadership and a return to conservative values? Will conservatives abandon the party when they realize the GOP, at least under its current leadership, is simply not interested in reducing the size and scope of the federal government? Republicans who support bigger entitlement programs and bigger federal budgets have lost all credibility as advocates for limited government. You are just as bad as your Dem and Liberal opposition.
I give up on both of them.

riskman
11-26-2007, 12:18 AM
there was no Formulator 4.1 in 1965...

so it's better now..

The best post so far !!!!!

Gibbon
11-26-2007, 12:53 AM
...Cars were better... Far more variety today.
Virtually no rust.
Depending on budgets, massive horsepower and torque plus fuel efficiency.
Superior suspension.
Less pollution.

PaceAdvantage
11-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Excuse me Dave, but you haven't indicated what you are really surprised by in our honest postings.
How were we supposed to see the world? Why didn't you put your contribution up front from the "getgo?"

Excuse me Dave, but in my humble opinion, you are being a bit of an
a- hole (small a , but again I might add) in your response to the thread that you started.Relax, we wouldn't want you to succumb to an MI right here and now....I sense way too much stress in your reply....perhaps some deep breathing might do the trick....

And for the record, what difference does it make when Dave chose to give his own views? And why shouldn't he write that he's surprised with the replies, if he actually IS surprised? Why are you all up in Dave's face like this? Who really is the asshole here?

Dave Schwartz
11-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Fox,

I have my opinions. They represent my opinions.

I did not trash anyone else's opinions, nor did I ask anyone else to change their opinions.

I simply stated that I was surprised that I could be so out of step with the way the majority see the world.

One thing I left out of my rant was the fact that back in the good ol' days we also did not call people names anonymously. That was considered cowardice.

But times have changed. I think I will adhere to the "old" way.

Dave Schwartz
(a.k.a. Dave Schwartz)

highnote
11-26-2007, 03:04 AM
IMHO, things are basically the same today as 1965. There are just different people now.

The world is probably the same. That is, it is no better or no worse -- just different.

I doubt that the world was much better or worse 2000 years ago. Certainly different technology. However, the "spirit of technology" has always been with humans.

I can't remember if it was Aristotle or Plato or Socrates that complained about the youth of their day. :D Now, it always makes me laugh when I hear someone complain about today's youth. It's a complaint as old as the human race.

Same problems. Different people.

JustRalph
11-26-2007, 06:35 AM

The way I see it, the baby boomer generation (of which I am a card-carrying member) literally ruined the world.

Sure, we worried about the bomb, But "drive-by shooting" was not even in our vernacular back then. Either was "AIDS."

We had that despicable thing called racism. (Still do, but now it has been deemed "illegal.") Not much real change there. And, as Tom pointed out, we "fixed" it by absolutely destroying the fabric of the black community.

We did not get sued by the burglar who tripped over our coffee table as he robbed us in the dark. Hurting someone while driving drunk did not result in the bartender getting sued for serving us too many drinks.

We, as a country, understood that "In God We Trust" was an example of religious tolerance. (The tolerant part is the fact that the "God" you might be referring to could be called something else: Allah, Jehovah, or Fred the Goat. Please note the capital "G" in goat.)

Simply put, we had freedom of religion. Now we have freedom from religion.

We did not have "terrorism." It would simply not have been tolerated by the most powerful country in the world. If an American citizen was actually held captive in a foreign country, that country would be given an ultimatum to produce the Americans or face the consequences. And the consequences were the U.S. Marines. The Marines were the solution, not two years of negotiation with criminals.

We had pride in America and pride to be an American. That means that anyone who said they were "ashamed to be an American" would be rejected by other Americans. Nazis were not welcomed. Communists were not welcomed. It was not "just another point of view." They were points of view contrary to the principles founding our country, as such they were rejected.

We stood as "one people." Americans first.

We went to war because we understood following our leaders. Now we think it is alright to "just say 'no.'"

We accepted the mandate of the people as being absolute. That is, we accepted an election as the final word of the people until the next election, as the electorate system was designed.

We were a "mixing bowl" of people from all over the world who came here to be Americans because that is who lives in America. Now we have, as an elementary school teacher told me one day, "... more of a 'salad bowl, just tossed together,' where people don't have to be American in order to take advantage of life in the United States." --- And how is THAT going?

We didn't have illegal immigrants demanding the same rights as citizens. We also did not need to explain why that entire concept is nuts.

We did not have a 50% divorce rate. Families stayed together, sometimes paying a price for their poor choice in a mate. Now, the children of the family pay the price, but , hey, everyone's got a right to be happy, don't they?

I guess I could go on and on. (Perhaps I already have.)

My point is that I obviously am out of touch with the "America of today." I am beginning to think I need to remain out of touch.
Regards to all,
Dave Schwartz

Wow! Great Post! Dave, may I reproduce it or use it in an email to a few friends? Great stuff...........

Ralph

Greyfox
11-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Fox,

I simply stated that I was surprised that I could be so out of step with the way the majority see the world.

Dave Schwartz
(a.k.a. Dave Schwartz)

So what posts were you surprised with that you believe you are "so out of step" with the way the majority see the world?

Tom
11-26-2007, 07:35 AM
At what point will conservatives stop accepting these excuses? When does the conservative base of the GOP, a base that remains firmly committed to the principle of limited government, finally demand new leadership and a return to conservative values? Will conservatives abandon the party when they realize the GOP, at least under its current leadership, is simply not interested in reducing the size and scope of the federal government? Republicans who support bigger entitlement programs and bigger federal budgets have lost all credibility as advocates for limited government. You are just as bad as your Dem and Liberal opposition.
I give up on both of them.

That in no way translates to looking to dems for leadership. 8 more years of Bush at his worst is still preferable to any term by dems. Dems are posion. They are the andtidote to freedom. No matter how bad a republican candidate is, he towers above any dem. Whatever damage Bush has done, no dem will fix it - only make it worse. A vote for a dem is a vote to disolve the Union.

Grits
11-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Here at PA, I read, read, read, and then I read some more.

In addition to what I posted earlier Dave in answer to your question, "are we better off today than in 1965, are we a better world" I have to add a note.

One of THE ABSOLUTE WORST, call it invention, call it creature comfort, call in "your right" whatever.......I don't care, to be made available to mankind in this age of technology is the ability to type from a keyboard, while at home not facing a soul, not looking a single individual in the eye.

Without care, without any consciousness whatsoever . . . regarding how you speak to another human being is as low as it gets in terms of communication skills and one's ability to relate to humanity.

Home is a safehaven, no doubt, and that is as it should be. Home has also become a breeding ground that has turned more people into prolific cads who thrive in a small and limiting atmosphere, one where respect is infrequent, and namecalling is prominent.

Some believe this to be the required basics of skilled debate.

So, to this effect, our fingers fly and the subsequent result is those fingers are about a half dozen ticks ahead of our brain.

I can hang. I simply have to choose, and be careful in my desire to understand--behind the keyboard, somewhere, there is another human being, and all in all, I remember to never lose sight of my other desire-- to see and encounter people--face to face. Where, I thrive a bit better. And so do they.

Again, I can hang. Somedays, I figure, better than others. On some days one needs to move away from the keyboard and take a break. It can clear our heads, and that can be beneficial at times.

I really love people. I do. And I can manage but so much of being an ass.:lol: It stresses me. I like to laugh too much.

Dave Schwartz
11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
So what posts were you surprised with that you believe you are "so out of step" with the way the majority see the world?

Not so much anything in my post. Just in general.

In 1965 we were at war. (I was 15 and having a wonderful time, as it is with teenagers.)

My point was that I see things as being much worse than they were then and the majority of people today do not.

To me the major things in a "quality of life" measurement are physical security, personal freedoms and hope for the future, with a minor in congestion. IMHO, we score lower in of all of these now categories than we did 40 years.

Sure, we've got healthcare breakthroughs, personal computers and no Berlin wall. These are steps forward.

But we've also got terrorism, handguns, political correctness and removal of God. I don't know which upsets me the most - that we have these things or that the majority deems them "improvements."

Racism has reached an all-time high in an underhanded sort of way. Blacks and browns in America start out with huge disadvantages against them. The way I see it, Tom and Sec are actually in agreement on this (as am I). They just might not agree that they agree.

Several years ago, while filling out a software registration, I noticed the age groupings as:

*under 18
*19-25
*26-38
*39-48
*above

That was when I realized that I was in the bottom category which could just as easily have been labelled "who cares?"

Marketing was aimed at the younger. Whether it is software, vacations, electronics, television shows or political candidates, the other categories held more importance than "above."

Best Example: Reality TV. Please... who, in their right mind would actually go on a TV show hoping to find a husband? (Or mayber I should say in a sixties sort of mind.)

But all that is fluff. The real point is that my values (apparently) have little in common with the majority's values.

I began this thread because someone made a comment about "hippies" in another thread. So, some baby boomers (i.e. hippy generation) are jumping up and down screaming, "Look! We've changed the world for the better" while the others are saying, "Look what you have done!"

We can change the world -
Re-arrange the world
It's dying - if you believe in justice
It's dying - and if you believe in freedom
It's dying - let a man live it's own life
It's dying - rules and regulations, who needs them
Open up the door

Difference of opinion? Different philosphies? Yes. But only one world. And it is a mess.

My opinion.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Grits
11-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Do I agree with this poster, indeed; and on every count.

As I noted earlier, when one's part of the above demographic, things sorta change. Oddly enough, they still don't mind accepting our cash, our checks, our credit cards, or managing our retirement accounts and mutual funds.

Go figure.

ljb
11-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Dave,
You have posted some good words here. I agree with much of your thoughts here. However, looking at the world from the other side of the window I would perhaps disagree as to what caused these things. And I commend you for not dropping to name calling etc. in your posts. Interesting topic / conversation here.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 11:24 AM
So if anyone's morality is "out of step," so what?

It is your choice to be whatever you want that morality to be. You don't need allies, only the satisfaction to yourself. That's it.

RaceBookJoe
11-26-2007, 11:32 AM
I see that technology is greatly evolved but morality has greatly devolved. In my view, the way that family life has changed and how "free" tv has become, seems like values got lower. Respect for people is almost non-existant. I also see people wanting things but not wanting to work to get them. I call these people the "microwave generation" , in minutes or seconds they have what they need...whether its dinner,instant access to info, or whatever. Not long ago, meals were homecooked and you had to WALK to the library to learn something. Dont get me wrong...technological advances are amazing and in many cases great and greatly needed, but I feel it is at the expense to deeper things at times, cant put my finger on it but it has something to do with values.

RaceBookJoe
11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
So if anyone's morality is "out of step," so what?

It is your choice to be whatever you want that morality to be. You don't need allies, only the satisfaction to yourself. That's it.

That post is extremely sad and it shows why your avatar should show the other end of that beautiful animal.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Another problem is the dispersive nature of the nucleus family. Most of us grew up nurtured by various tiers of the family, close enough physically to blanket children with the insulating constancy of influence that only parents usually give. Consistency of values, discipline, modes of conduct, etc. these all provide a continuous moral yardstick for the young.

Also, it gave parents a buffer from the exuberance of their children. I recall many weekends I was sent to stay with my aunt and cousin. I looked at it as a lot of fun. My parents were allowed to be husband and wife not parents for a weekend. When I came home, they were as happy to see me as I was them. All benefited.

Now with the nucleus family all over the map, never staying in the same community through generations like before, youngsters have no commonality to utilize as a standard.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 11:43 AM
That post is extremely sad and it shows why your avatar should show the other end of that beautiful animal.
Ah the ASSumer, always ASSuming that different is equal to BAD...........

Different akin to Rudi Gulliani who has a moral compass different from the other Republicans. Not wrong, not right, different and his alone.

Greyfox
11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Not so much anything in my post. Just in general.

In 1965 we were at war. (I was 15 and having a wonderful time, as it is with teenagers.)

My point was that I see things as being much worse than they were then and the majority of people today do not.....

We can change the world -

Re-arrange the world
It's dying - if you believe in justice
It's dying - and if you believe in freedom
It's dying - let a man live it's own life
It's dying - rules and regulations, who needs them
Open up the door

Difference of opinion? Different philosphies? Yes. But only one world. And it is a mess.

My opinion.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Thank you for clarifying your first lengthy post.
To that point, I had not read the "majority" of posts as indicating that they thought the world was a better place today, even if the polling suggested that. Indeed, many of us agree with the points and principles that you are outlining even if we failed to mention them in earlier posts.
The rub of it was though that all posts prior to that one were more or less swept aside and a post outlining how "different" you perceive yourself to be was unveiled. That was what I found as unfair to every earnest poster to that point and in particular to those of us who see political correctness as having gone too far.
As a general rule of thumb, all systems become more complex as they mature.
The amount of information today in 1 newspaper is equivalent to the amount of information that a man would consume in 10 years 150 years ago.
We live in a technical-information age. Hence the "maturation of human society" has been hastened. Also there are systemic subgroups who do not hold the same values as the majority of sane thinking North Americans.
Most recently Islamic fascists have become a threat and you can't blame the
"baby boom" generation for that. It's a reality that that threat has to be recognized and staved off.
With respect to Justice, I see Justice in terms of Universal Principles.
Those principles will exist until eternity, whether or not man or judges are willing to apply them. There is nothing about the maturation and modernization of society that can erode fundamental principles and spirit of Justice.

highnote
11-26-2007, 11:57 AM

That was my point in my earlier post. IMO, the world is just different -- not better, not worse.

And 1965 was no better and no worse than 1955. etc etc etc

For some Americans 1965 was terrible because they were fighting in Vietnam. For other Americans fighting in Vietnam it was a great time. It depended on their experiences there.

I have a couple of acquaintances who worked during WWII -- one in NYC and one in Washington D.C. Both said it was the most exciting time of their lives working for the war effort. My father fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was a POW -- he was 19 years old and said it was the worst time of his life.

Some European prisoners of war in WWII were brought to the States. They were treated so well they didn't want to go home -- so they stayed!

Different experiences. So it seems to me it is difficult to say whether the world is better or worse -- I would think it depends on the individual. And that's probably the way it's always been.

Same circumstances. Different people.

RaceBookJoe
11-26-2007, 11:59 AM

Different akin to Rudi Gulliani who has a moral compass different from the other Republicans. Not wrong, not right, different and his alone.

Very true, i should not have assumed.

Grits
11-26-2007, 12:04 PM

This is true. So different, so lacking of moral compass that his children can't stand him.:lol:
Rudi-- The Serial Husband

Show Me the Wire
11-26-2007, 12:06 PM

RaceBookJoe:

Zilly is exhibiting his eastern mysticism beliefs. The only thing that counts is the individuals' morality in your attempt to become a god through your own choices and actions.

Zilly has to be one frustrated person. His eastern belief system leads to him to believe he can attain god status, on a different plain, through focusing on his individual morality and yet he believes the creation of life is accidental.

Life just popped up randomly according to science, however according to eastern mysticism life leads to being a god. How irreconcilable are these two beliefs? Very. Either you are an accident and there is nothingness after death or you are created for a purpose even if that purpose is to become an individual god.

How sad Zilly can't reconcile his existence.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 12:07 PM
RaceBookJoe:

Zilly is exhibiting his eastern mysticism beliefs. The only thing that counts is the individuals' morality in your attempt to become a god through your own choices and actions.

Zilly has to be one frustrated person. His eastern belief system leads to him to believe he can attain god status, on a different plain, through focusing on his individual morality and yet he believes the creation of life is accidental.

Life just popped up randomly according to science, however according to eastern mysticism life leads to being a god. How irreconcilable are these two beliefs? Very. Either you are an accident and there is nothingness after death or you are created for a purpose even if that purpose is to become an individual god.

How sad Zilly can't reconcile his existence.

mvp'940[y89gi 1y3nmj[oj9u[ijooj24 69675jnndb` c

Funny...in tongues. You don't know crap about my life, not a single iota.

Show Me the Wire
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Zilly:

Do you know Tibetian Monks pray in tongues, or some Eskimos and many native American Indians, etc. Careful you are not being politically correct by offending so many religious beliefs of varying cultures.

Zilly, I stated it before and I will state it again,for your benefit, you are transparent. Your eastern mysticism beliefs are showing.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Zilly:

Do you know Tibetian Monks pray in tongues, or some Eskimos and many native American Indians, etc. Careful you are not being politically correct by offending so many religious beliefs of varying cultures.

Zilly, I stated it before and I will state it again,for your benefit, you are transparent. Your eastern mysticism beliefs are showing.
Good for them they are just as duped with the silliness of it. I believe however they call it a mantra which they repeat over and over like Nomyo ho rengay quo. Giving focus on meditation is different than blabbing and tricking yourself into believing it is some out of body divine experience. Nose blowing would be on the same par: the ejection of malarkey from the body.

Show Me the Wire
11-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Good for them they are just as duped with the silliness of it. I believe however they call it a mantra which they repeat over and over like Nomyo ho rengay quo. Giving focus on meditation is different than blabbing and tricking yourself into believing it is some out of body divine experience. Nose blowing would be on the same par: the ejection of malarkey from the body.

No you are wrong again. A mantra, which you described above, is different than ecstatic speech, which is speaking in tongues. Also you are offending some Muslim brethren as they also use ecstatic speech.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
No you are wrong again. A mantra, which you described above, is different than ecstatic speech, which is speaking in tongues. Also you are offending some Muslim brethren as they also use ecstatic speech.
T.S.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 12:35 PM
T.S. I am going to lose so much sleep over a point of view evaluated SECOND HAND, in the off topic section of a horse racing web site...........it is too funny for words.

Show Me the Wire
11-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Zilly:

You are already obsessing. I hope you do not stay up all night as that was not my intention.

Greyfox
11-26-2007, 12:49 PM
For those of you who believe the "world" (i.e. your world) is worse today than 1965, here's what Pat Buchanan is apparently saying:
as cited at http://www.drudgereport.com/flash9pb.htm

NEW BUCHANAN BOOK DECLARES 'END OF AMERICA'
Sun Nov 25 2007 20:40:15 ET

**Exclusive**

"America is coming apart, decomposing, and...the likelihood of her survival as one nation...is improbable -- and impossible if America continues on her current course," declares Pat Buchanan. "For we are on a path to national suicide."

The best-selling author and former presidential candidate is on the eve of launching his new epic book: DAY OF RECKONING: HOW HUBRIS, IDEOLOGY AND GREED ARE TEARING AMERICA APART.

[The book's release date has been moved up to this week. It ranked #237 on AMAZON's hitparade Monday morning.] (http://www.amazon.com/Day-Reckoning-Ideology-Tearing-America/dp/0312376960/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196040487&sr=8-4)

This time, Buchanan goes all the way:

"America is in an existential crisis from which the nation may not survive."

The U.S. Army is breaking and is too small to meet America’s global commitments.

The dollar has sunk to historic lows and is being abandoned by foreign governments.

U.S. manufacturing is being hollowed out.

The greatest invasion in history, from the Third World, is swamping the ethno-cultural core of the country, leading to Balkanization and the loss of the Southwest to Mexico.

The culture is collapsing and the nation is being deconstructed along the lines of race and class.

A fiscal crisis looms as the unfunded mandates of Social Security and Medicare remain unaddressed.

All these crises are hitting America at once -- a perfect storm of crises.

Specifically, Buchanan contends:

• Pax Americana, the era of U.S. global dominance, is over. A struggle for global hegemony has begun among the United States, China, a resurgent Russia and radical Islam

• Bush’s invasion of Iraq was a product of hubris and of ideology, a secular religion of “democratism,” to which Bush was converted in the days following 9/11

• Torn asunder by a culture war, America has now begun to break down along class, ethnic and racial lines.

• The greatest threat to U.S. sovereignty and independence is the scheme of a global elite to erase America’s borders and merge the USA, Mexico and Canada into a North American Union.

• Free trade is shipping jobs, factories and technology to China and plunging America into permanent dependency and unpayable debt. One of every six U.S. manufacturing jobs vanished under Bush

• “Sovereign Wealth Funds,” controlled by foreign regimes and stuffed with trillions of dollars from U.S. trade deficits, are buying up strategic corporate assets vital to America’s security

• As U.S. wages are stagnant, corporate CEOs are raking in rising pay and benefits 400 to 500 times that of their workers

• The Third World invasion through Mexico is a graver threat to our survival as one nation than anything happening in Afghanistan or Iraq

* European-Americans, 89% of the nation when JFK took the oath, are now 66% and sinking. Before 2050, America is a Third World nation

• By 2060, America will add 167 million people and 105 million immigrants will be here, triple the 37 million today.

• Hispanics will be over 100 million in 2050 and concentrated in a Southwest most Mexicans believe belongs to them

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
[font=Courier New
• The greatest threat to U.S. sovereignty and independence is the scheme of a global elite to erase America’s borders and merge the USA, Mexico and Canada into a North American Union.

[/font]
This alone is being brought in under the carpet and NO ONE seems to try and raise a single red flag.

It needs to be stopped NOW exposed for what it is: corporations BUYING the countries.

Tom
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
R E W A R D

WANTED FOR HIJACKING
YET ANOTHER THREAD

Dave Schwartz
11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Fox,

The rub of it was though that all posts prior to that one were more or less swept aside and a post outlining how "different" you perceive yourself to be was unveiled.

I think the poll was pretty straight forward. I also think that the poll shows I am "out-of-step" with the majority of the poll responders (since I voted for "worse").

It would appear that you perceived my post as dismissive and arrogant; that I view myself as the last word on everything. (Now, these are my words - interpreting what I think you meant. If I have it wrong, please enlighten me.)

If this is the case, then you have misjudged me. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is not how I view the world. However, if my words conveyed that then I accept some measure of culpability in this matter and apologize for making that impression.

My post was, for lack of a better word, a lamentation of the fact that (apparently) I see the world differently than the "majority." (One could also call it a "rant" and not be incorrect.)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

keilan
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Which Country is most responsible in shaping our world the past 40 + years?

Greyfox
11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Fox,

It would appear that you perceived my post as dismissive and arrogant; that I view myself as the last word on everything. (Now, these are my words - interpreting what I think you meant. If I have it wrong, please enlighten me.)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Bingo. That's exactly how I perceived part of that post.
However, there were other excellent parts of the post and I felt that they should have been posted from the get go.
At any rate, my rant is over. Let's move on.

Dave Schwartz
11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
The thought that I actually agree with Pat Robertson is a tough pill to swallow.

Grits
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
The thought that I actually agree with Pat Robertson is a tough pill to swallow.

Don't you mean Pat Buchanan?

Tom
11-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Which Country is most responsible in shaping our world the past 40 + years?

Wow. That is a thought provoking one.

I would put Israel in the top 5.

Not for what they have done as much as how many others have done through hating them. Since the 72 Olympics, the terrorists of the world have been consistently growing and destroying things.

The USSR? Major influence when they were united, maybe more so since they broke up and the Iron Curtain fell.

Damn good question. The requires a lot more thought. Have we been shaped more by design or by reaction?

Show Me the Wire
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
I vote for a non-country, but an area Palestine and the Middle East. Followed closely by China in the East.

highnote
11-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Buchanan seems to think that the world should never change.

If you could ask the Cherokee Indians who marched on the Trail of Tears how they felt about the changes taking place -- all those European immigrants taking over their land -- what do you think they would say?

So now Americans are complaining about the large influx of South Americans.

Same news. Different people.

It was OK when American Indians were threatened because Europeans wanted a better life in North America, but it's not OK when South Americans want a better life in North America?

Russia is not the same Russia it was 50 years ago.

China is not the same China it was 50 years ago.

The U.S. is not the same U.S. it was 50 years ago.

In 50 years all these countries will be different than they were.

Is it better or worse? Again, it depends on the experiences of each individual.

Change is inevitable. The best thing to do is accept that fact and figure out how to position yourself so that you're better off after the change than before -- to the extent that it is possible.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 02:31 PM
R E W A R D

WANTED FOR HIJACKING
YET ANOTHER THREAD
Interesting the classical thing found in most all reactionary authoritarian philosophy postings; the lack of original thought. Buy into a point of view lock, stock and barrel never once having the slightest original thought.

Typical.

Grits
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Interesting the classical thing found in most all reactionary authoritarian philosophy postings; the lack of original thought. Buy into a point of view lock, stock and barrel never once having the slightest original thought.

Typical.

Now, I'm gonna be honest with ya here, Zilzal. And I don't know you from a row of turnips--this being a Southern saying we have. I'm simply going on observation, reading.

This is a thread with great opportunities, but when you and ShowMeTheWire begin to weigh in on one another, (one thread after another,) trading shots--not a thing is achieved from either of you. "Lost in Translation" comes to mind.

To be sure, every thread in the Off-Topics folder should not be taken by posters and run with.......always becoming a political football.

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
MESSAGE: No matter the reactionary author, the content is similar.

Show Me the Wire
11-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Now, I'm gonna be honest with ya here, Zilzal. And I don't know you from a row of turnips--this being a Southern saying we have. I'm simply going on observation, reading.

This is a thread with great opportunities, but when you and ShowMeTheWire begin to weigh in on one another, (one thread after another,) trading shots--not a thing is achieved from either of you. "Lost in Translation" comes to mind.

To be sure, every thread in the Off-Topics folder should not be taken by posters and run with.......always becoming a political football.

To be fair I do not post in every off topic thread or respond to every post made by 46. We have a history here and if your not familiar with it, I quote 46 "T.S". If you don't like the Zilly and the SMtW show there is always the ignore button. After all this is the off topic section

Grits
11-26-2007, 03:11 PM
MESSAGE: No matter the reactionary author, the content is similar.

Zilzal, are you by chance aware, and God I'm certain you are, how many facial muscles we have, how many it takes to frown, and how few it takes to smile?

Darlin' you must be one wrinkled old dude, maybe even well beyond your years. My heart goes out to you--that you disagree and defend, etc, etc, so much.

A curmudgeon's life can be a difficult one.

Take care, I'm done noticing. Goodness knows, you manage fine. I guess.

Grits
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't believe I indicated anywhere in my post that you respond to every topic, or every thread.

And as far as the tough sh!t order, I'll thank you and carry that one forward.

To be fair I do not post in every off topic thread or respond to every post made by 46. We have a history here and if your not familiar with it, I quote 46 "T.S". If you don't like the Zilly and the SMtW show there is always the ignore button. After all this is the off topic section

betchatoo
11-26-2007, 03:19 PM
I answered that the world is abut the same, because I don't feel people basically change, but situations do.

What was better about 1965?
The Music... way better
Less violence...in my high school disputes were settled with fists
Fewer drugs...I didn't know anyone who so much as smoked pot
More a sense of being proud of being an American
Streets seemed safer, I never feared taking a bus or subway anywhere
People took more responsibility for their own actions
The Music... way better

What was worse in 1965?
Segregation...in my Chicago Public high school of over 5000, the district was gerrymandered so that we had no black or Latino students
Class separation...White males ruled the board rooms and politics. Women were nowhere to be found in either arena and a Black man who tried was likely to be beaten or killed. This also held true in marriages where women who were beaten stayed, because they had nowhere else to go
Technology...today's technology has been a great equalizer. People have access to information that they would never have before. They can talk to people at great distances (does anyone else remember how expensive long distance calling used to be?)

But still, The Music... way better

46zilzal
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
1963-1973 saw some of the most sweeping changes in American history. If you were part of it, you didn't realize how important and how sweeping they really were until you looked back. A major portion of the population woke up.

Sadly, the majority (in Buddhist terms) went back to sleep.

Show Me the Wire
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't believe I indicated anywhere in my post that you respond to every topic, or every thread.

And as far as the tough sh!t order, I'll thank you and carry that one forward.

I didn't give you an order. I quoted zilly and gave you a suggestion about using an available feature of this message board. However, you are welcome and enjoy your stay on the P.A. board and in off topic.

Greyfox
11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
. After all this is the off topic section

Off Topic is not license to be "Off Subject."
The thread is about comparisons between 1965 and the present.

Marshall Bennett
11-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Aids and steroids weren't around ... so I suppose you were safe screwing around ... even though you didn't know the ball game you were watching was on an honest playing field afterwards .

Dave Schwartz
11-26-2007, 03:52 PM
The Music... way better
The Music... way better

How true.

And the negatives as well.

Dave

Grits
I answered that the world is abut the same, because I don't feel people basically change, but situations do.

The Music... way better
The Music... way better

I agree with much of this. I remember fist fights between guys in school. Weed and hash were introduced, I think, my senior year. Lots of it. Still, Vodka was our drug of choice, that and beer.

I still recall the doors of our home not ever being locked, except at bedtime.

And yes, the music was far, far, better. The Eagles new release may improve that--I pray.

What was worse in 1965?
Segregation...in my Chicago Public high school of over 5000, the district was gerrymandered so that we had no black or Latino students

This is where the North and the South differ. Yet we continued to be called "the racist." LOL We did not have the gerrymandering of districts. No way that could have been pulled off. We had forced intergration with busing all over hell's half acre. Did it create harmony? Lord no, as I recall riots in school the very first year of intergration, after I had sat for a year on a Human Relations Board made up of City Officials, Educators, and students all working in the attempt to bring about a smooth transition. Though these riots were tiffs compared to those of Birmingham fame, where college students had firehoses turned on them.

Problems in today's schools have far exceeded anything of the 60s or 70s. At least, we didn't fear being gunned down by some pissant in a trenchcoat heralding an AK-47.

Class separation...White males ruled the board rooms and politics. Women were nowhere to be found in either arena and a Black man who tried was likely to be beaten or killed. This also held true in marriages where women who were beaten stayed, because they had nowhere else to go.

Many women have thrived in today's Corporate America. Too, many are giving it up and walking away from it, which is a turnaround from recent years, and the great achievements that have come about. The realization that the tremendous stress of balancing the two--work and family is more than one can bear. When the children are older, maybe they will resume their careers. I certainly hope so.

I still believe there is a marked difference between the responsibilities of these women, and their husbands. These women have more on their shoulders, as they come home to their 2nd--after 5pm jobs. Men, not as much so. Though, if you can cook, and you share in the business of helping with the children--I applaud you greatly. YOU ARE A FINE, FINE MAN.

Technology...today's technology has been a great equalizer. People have access to information that they would never have before. They can talk to people at great distances (does anyone else remember how expensive long distance calling used to be?)

But still, The Music... way better

Long distance . . . gone from my memory. And yes, again, the music was better.

46zilzal
Aids and steroids weren't around ... so I suppose you were safe screwing around ... even though you didn't know the ball game you were watching was on an honest playing field afterwards .
Steroid have been around since the 30's.

"Until 1935, no one knew that anabolic steroids were associated with the accumulation of muscle tissue. In that year, two researchers experimenting on dogs discovered that testosterone given under certain conditions would increase muscle mass. Hitler may have given some of his troops anabolic steroids to increase their aggressiveness, although this is not well- documented."

Grits
11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
I didn't give you an order. I quoted zilly and gave you a suggestion about using an available feature of this message board. However, you are welcome and enjoy your stay on the P.A. board and in off topic.

I'm sorry, order was not a good word to choose.

Robert Goren
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
We all agree on one thing. The music was better!

GameTheory
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Dave,

The poll probably would have turned out differently if you had said "the U.S." or "our society" instead of "the world". The world is a big place.

A few weeks ago the Houston Rockets & the Milwaukee Bucks played a fairly boring regular season NBA game. Each team now has a Chinese player on it. The number of people in China that watched this unimportant basketball game was about 2/3rds the entire population of the U.S., and I bet not a single one of them care about what the hippies have done to wreck things over here...

Robert Goren
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
The take was lower in 1965.

Show Me the Wire
11-26-2007, 04:21 PM
GreyFox:

See post #76. Totally on topic to Keilan's question. And my first post was in response to RaceBookJoe's sentiment about Zilly's statement about individual morality.

Those posts were not off topic as the thread naturally drifted that way.

This post is off subject as I am responding to you.

Grits
11-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Somebody, somewhere, had to dump growth hormone into those boys by the bottle full. I've never met a Chinaman (and this, please, is not meant as a slur) in my WHOLE life tall enough to play round ball, much less in the NBA.

Good for them, hope they make millions.

Dave,

The poll probably would have turned out differently if you had said "the U.S." or "our society" instead of "the world". The world is a big place.

A few weeks ago the Houston Rockets & the Milwaukee Bucks played a fairly boring regular season NBA game. Each team now has a Chinese player on it. The number of people in China that watched this unimportant basketball game was about 2/3rds the entire population of the U.S., and I bet not a single one of them care about what the hippies have done to wreck things over here...

GameTheory
11-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Somebody, somewhere, had to dump growth hormone into those boys by the bottle full. I've never met a Chinaman (and this, please, is not meant as a slur) in my WHOLE life tall enough to play round ball, much less in the NBA.If you don't mean it as a slur, don't use the word "chinaman" -- ever. It is pretty much exclusively considered a slur these days. Don't call them "orientals" either...

Grits
11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Asians, Players of Chinese Descent, whatever.......I don't care. Thank you for correcting me.

Marshall Bennett
11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Steroid have been around since the 30's.

"Until 1935, no one knew that anabolic steroids were associated with the accumulation of muscle tissue. In that year, two researchers experimenting on dogs discovered that testosterone given under certain conditions would increase muscle mass. Hitler may have given some of his troops anabolic steroids to increase their aggressiveness, although this is not well- documented."
Was refering to steroids in relationship to sports figures ... sry about my lapse in technical research !!

Tom
11-26-2007, 06:50 PM

Typical.

Big difference bewteen original thought and mindless rambling on. You should look into it. Look ou "on topic" while you are at it.

Tom
11-26-2007, 06:59 PM
We all agree on one thing. The music was better!

BUT....it was on vinyl, and tended to skip. Nowadays, we have the same music, but on CD, and with enhanced bass. Or You Tube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PykzyxWYS3Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etjpcF2X_mY

....and tapes fo the GOGO Girls!:p:kiss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2UYRoti-tY&feature=related

Tom
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
And we had good TV back then.....and bands knew how to groove!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO91-Z1QMNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eeKb1MYRuY&feature=related

And the beer was better, too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGPCHT_NAus

Tom
11-26-2007, 07:28 PM
You be the judge...the 65 version or the newer version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71tciw1iJvY&feature=related

New version.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPjSaDVIR0Y

JustRalph
11-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Written by a former Republican Congressman

one who has written a total of 10 number 1 songs.............

Greyfox
11-27-2007, 12:21 PM
In 1965 I could go into a Department store and a clerk would offer to help.
In 2007 I can go into a Department store and ....what clerks? (And if per chance that you find one, they won't have a clue as to what you want or how to help you. That applies to Walmarts, Hardware Box stores and so on.)
In large retail outlets, the "Service Edge" is exctinct.

GameTheory
11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
In 1965 I could go into a Department store and a clerk would offer to help.
In 2007 I can go into a Department store and ....what clerks? (And if per chance that you find one, they won't have a clue as to what you want or how to help you. That applies to Walmarts, Hardware Box stores and so on.)
In large retail outlets, the "Service Edge" is exctinct. I have to push them away they are so annoying, although you are right they are often clueless. I prefer to be left alone unless I ask for help. Possibly an age bias happening there...or maybe you are much uglier or scarier looking than in 1965?

chickenhead
11-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I wasn't around, so I don't have much to base it on. Also can't speak much for the world, or the US...but thinking about my own life, would my life be better in 1965 than it is now? I imagine it would be good in either time...different, but still good. Would still have my family, friends, etc. Life is life. Get to live it longer now, that's a plus.

If I had to weigh it all out, I'd guess for many now is a major improvement over then, for a few now is a slight downgrade over then....for most all now lasts longer than then. Pretty clear edge to now so far as I can tell.

46zilzal
11-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Perspective. I was talking to an ear, eye nose and throat specialist this week from Bulgaria. She would say things are world's better being here, rather than there at almost any time period in the last 50 years. It was her daughter's getting a full scholarship in computer sciences in a U.S. college that lead to their family becoming the first in their town to own a P.C. After hearing about North America from their daughter, the entire family left.

They had little if any interaction with the west until the Communist government fell in 1988.

Depends on your starting point.

JustRalph
11-27-2007, 10:28 PM
They had little if any interaction with the west until the Communist government fell in 1988.

and she can thank Ronald Reagan for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_of_1989

46zilzal
11-27-2007, 11:42 PM
and she can thank Ronald Reagan for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_of_1989
For the umpteenth time, he was simply in office when it happened. HE didn't do it.

GameTheory
11-28-2007, 12:29 AM
For the umpteenth time, he was simply in office when it happened. HE didn't do it.There were many inner & external forces at play. So of course, it wasn't solely because of him (the pope & Thatcher helped a lot externally), and it would have happened anyway eventually; but to deny he had any role in speeding it up is just stupid. The Russians themselves give Reagan credit!

46zilzal
11-28-2007, 12:37 AM
There were many inner & external forces at play. So of course, it wasn't solely because of him (the pope & Thatcher helped a lot externally), and it would have happened anyway eventually; but to deny he had any role in speeding it up is just stupid. The Russians themselves give Reagan credit!
Solidarity and the influence on the Catholic church in the same events started the cascade over governments ripe for the fall. Years and years of trying to keep up with the Jones's bankrupted them as well. It was a long constant pressure not just one president.

GameTheory
11-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Solidarity and the influence on the Catholic church in the same events started the cascade over governments ripe for the fall. Years and years of trying to keep up with the Jones's bankrupted them as well. It was a long constant pressure not just one president.The Jones? Hello, that's the USA. Was there another big superpower the USSR was worried about that I've forgetting? Reagan increased that pressure you're talking about and kept it on (and made it public in a way no one had before) -- something it is doubtful another President would have, even another Republican. And yet he had nothing to do with it, right? Again, the idea is just stupid...

Tom
11-28-2007, 07:39 AM
For the umpteenth time, he was simply in office when it happened. HE didn't do it.For the umpteenth time, your are dead wrong. Our giving the stinger missles to the Afghani's led directly to the loss of that war and the bankruptcy of the USSR militart. Our CIA waged a brilliant behind the scenes war from the shaows and the USSR was defeated. The Russina could not continue with thier copters being shot out the sky at will.

46zilzal
11-28-2007, 10:10 AM
. And yet he had nothing to do with it, right? Again, the idea is just stupid...
it happened WHILE he was there as he contributed. It is akin to seeing a fellow give the coup de gras to an animal and then claimed that he did ALL THE FIGHTING in killing it.

Collateral events culminated that way.

GameTheory
11-28-2007, 04:23 PM
it happened WHILE he was there as he contributed.Yes, and the WAY in which he contributed was very important. As if Jimmy Carter or someone else would have acted the same way.

Just his strength of convictions in other matters helped indirectly. When he fired the striking air traffic controllers, it actually sent a ripple through Moscow because they realized he wasn't a bluffer and was going to back up his words with action.

46zilzal
11-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Not once did I imply that his contribution was NADA. It reminds me of the same malarkey I hear all the time with patients. They have some odd symptom complex and early on, before the symptoms makes a diagnosable complex, it is a mystery with the first few doctors ruling out many things. As the shopper goes from doctor to doctor, more things are ruled out and the disease process is progressing toward more specificity. Finally, after the symptoms have matured and the other doctors have ruled out many things on the differential, the LAST doctor they see is hailed as a 'genius' when , in fact, it was the accumulated work of all of them and the natural maturation of the symptom complex that made the diagnosis more obvious.

Same thing here in a differing way. The ideology had been under steady attack for many many years. When it cracked and fell, just like that final doctor, ONE gets all the credit from the work of all of the predecessors contributed to.

GameTheory
11-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Same thing here in a differing way. The ideology had been under steady attack for many many years. When it cracked and fell, just like that final doctor, ONE gets all the credit from the work of all of the predecessors contributed to.I've never heard anyone giving Reagan SOLE credit, but to dismiss his contribution as "just happening to be in office at that time" is just as silly.

wes
11-29-2007, 06:45 AM
The world is about the same.
The people in it that have changed.

wes

JustRalph
11-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Solidarity and the influence on the Catholic church in the same events started the cascade over governments ripe for the fall. Years and years of trying to keep up with the Jones's bankrupted them as well. It was a long constant pressure not just one president.

Do you know how much support Reagan gave to the Solidarity movement?

Here is a simple google search that reveals an article about it.........

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n5_v44/ai_12037629

icebak
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
If you want to give credit to regan for the falling wall then kudos to the ol' puppet for 911 too. You can't have it both ways.

In 1965, tho I was too young to remember some things were better, somethings worse. I would say that there was a lot more real human interaction back then. Customer service didn't mean pushing a button. Every little thing wasn't justified by profit generation.

On the other hand we didn't have PCs or microwaves or aids. We had race riots instead of the hatred simmering under the surface. Our sports heros were reasonably decent people.

I dunno, tuff to call.

Tom
11-29-2007, 09:59 PM
If you want to give credit to regan for the falling wall then kudos to the ol' puppet for 911 too. You can't have it both ways.

That is absurd.

46zilzal
11-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Do you know how much support Reagan gave to the Solidarity movement?

No doubt in my mind he helped but he had years and years of predecessors long hard work to build on. This deification as if it was his work alone is what I am pointing out: he was there at the end, helped it along but it was a long collaborative effort by many sources, peoples, and governments both inside and outside the area's freed by the Iron Curtain's fall.

JustRalph
11-30-2007, 02:02 AM
No doubt in my mind he helped but he had years and years of predecessors long hard work to build on. This deification as if it was his work alone is what I am pointing out: he was there at the end, helped it along but it was a long collaborative effort by many sources, peoples, and governments both inside and outside the area's freed by the Iron Curtain's fall.

Didn't know you could Tap Dance too.......

http://www.youmeworks.com/Resources/Image202.gif

46zilzal
11-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Didn't know you could Tap Dance too.......

http://www.youmeworks.com/Resources/Image202.gif
Clarification to the people who did not get what I meant is just that. The conductor on the train when it pulls into the station is not responsible for the entire trip..

riskman
12-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Posted by Greyfox:
• “Sovereign Wealth Funds,” controlled by foreign regimes and stuffed with trillions of dollars from U.S. trade deficits, are buying up strategic corporate assets vital to America’s security

Warren Buffett, the famed billionaire investor, has worried that as long as the US has major foreign trade deficits (some $700 billion a year), it has to "give away a little part of the country" each year. The US could end up with a "sharecropper economy," where Americans largely work for foreign-owned firms.

Wake up America

Greyfox
12-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Posted by Greyfox:

Warren Buffett, the famed billionaire investor, has worried that as long as the US has major foreign trade deficits (some $700 billion a year), it has to "give away a little part of the country" each year. The US could end up with a "sharecropper economy," where Americans largely work for foreign-owned firms.

Wake up America

EXCUSE ME. THE ABOVE POST SAYS:
POSTED BY GREYFOX,

PA - PLEASE INVESTIGATE AND GET BACK TO ME.
Not me.

Tom
12-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Check post #67 - it comes from your link to a Drudge Report.

(See, Sec, not only do I read these links, I remember them, too! :D

Greyfox
12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Check post #67 - it comes from your link to a Drudge Report.

Thanks Tom.
I didn't recognize it at all as something that I would have "dug out" and cited.
It's in a lengthy list. I owe yuh!:)

highnote
12-02-2007, 04:12 PM
BUT....it was on vinyl, and tended to skip. Nowadays, we have the same music, but on CD, and with enhanced bass. Or You Tube!
....and tapes fo the GOGO Girls!:p:kiss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2UYRoti-tY&feature=related

Nowadays, the rap booty girls ain't too bad, either. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4OWkDSVa_4

Tom
12-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks Tom.
I didn't recognize it at all as something that I would have "dug out" and cited.
It's in a lengthy list. I owe yuh!:)

You could let me borrow a "life!" :lol: