PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Park, Race 9, Sunday

toetoe
11-23-2007, 07:15 PM
(2), Council Member, is at 12/1 on the m. l. ( :jump: )

Please take advantage of my, ahem, unique perspective. :rolleyes:
This guy has been closing against good sprinters back East, and on tracks just as speedy as West Coast dirt used to be.
Now he takes to the greensward, and in Europe he won at 7 furlongs on turf(all stretch) wire to wire. :eek: I think he likes turf.

toetoe
11-24-2007, 03:47 PM
It's SATURDAY, SATURDAY, SATURDAY (in the voice of that Fremont Drag Strip guy) !!

Jeez, do I get it wrong every single time, or just six in seven, as the random odds would dictate ? :blush:

Good luck today.

Sailwolf
11-25-2007, 12:07 PM
It's SATURDAY, SATURDAY, SATURDAY (in the voice of that Fremont Drag Strip guy) !!

Jeez, do I get it wrong every single time, or just six in seven, as the random odds would dictate ? :blush:

Good luck today.

...and after all that he got scratched:faint:

Greyfox
11-25-2007, 01:39 PM
But did you see what happened in that race?
# 10 Fast Parade , ridden by PVal, drifted out in the stretch and in doing so forced several major contenders wide and impeded their momentum.
# 1 Unusual Suspect at deservedly long odds inherited a hole that you could drive a train through and outran two steeds to take the win.
The Stewards rightfully placed the favorite # 10 Fast Parade dead last, eventhough it wasn't in the money. Cost me a Pick 3.
# 2 Council Member was originally part of a soft entry paired with early speedster # 7 Desert Code and would have had to be a pick.
Was this a trainer or vet scratch?

surfdog89
11-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I :bang: had the seven and he got hammered finished 3rd...... thks PV

DJofSD
11-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Was this a trainer or vet scratch?

Trainer.

toetoe
11-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Fast Parade is not the same since Manny Calvario stopped training him. :D

(7) had Victor Espinoza, right ? His Cauthenesque cold snap has not yet run its course.

Greyfox
11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
More results from that 9 th race on Sunday.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the drifting out of # 10 cost me the Pick 3. PVal takes the hit too.

The following has been excerpted from:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2007/November/25/Stewards-give-Valenzuela-three-day-suspension.aspx

Hollywood Park stewards gave jockey Patrick Valenzuela a three-day suspension for careless riding on Fast Parade in the $150,000 Hollywood Turf Express Handicap (G3) on Saturday.

Grade 2 winner Fast Parade drifted out badly under left-handed urging from Valenzuela in the stretch, and interfered with six challengers. Fast Parade finished sixth after setting the pace, but was disqualified and placed last in the nine-horse field. Unusual Suspect, who was unimpeded by Fast Parade, rallied from last to first to win the six-furlong turf race.

Stewards ruled Valenzuela failed to make a proper effort to maintain a straight course aboard Fast Parade. Valenzuela is to serve the suspension on December 2, 5, and 6.

Valenzuela rode in California for the first time in nearly a year on November 17 at Hollywood Park after the 45-year-old completed the paperwork for a conditional license with the board of stewards at Hollywood Park.

the_fat_man
11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
This couldn't have been scripted any better. They turn for home with a number of horses putting in potentially winning moves on the outside, in particular, Quietly Mine. And Valenzuela, who seems to be the object of much affection, male and female, on this, and other boards, almost as if he'd been assigned the task, basically spent the length of the stretch impeding the run of QM, and through that one, all the horses to the outside of QM. With ALL of the contenders taken out of the race, and, more importantly, forced OUT, the inside opens up, when's the last time these guys got off the inside on the turf?, for the unimpeded plodder to get up at the wire. But this is PA, and, here, there's no such thing as LUCK. :lol:

JustRalph
11-26-2007, 08:44 PM
This couldn't have been scripted any better. They turn for home with a number of horses putting in potentially winning moves on the outside, in particular, Quietly Mine. And Valenzuela, who seems to be the object of much affection, male and female, on this, and other boards, almost as if he'd been assigned the task, basically spent the length of the stretch impeding the run of QM, and through that one, all the horses to the outside of QM. With ALL of the contenders taken out of the race, and, more importantly, forced OUT, the inside opens up, when's the last time these guys got off the inside on the turf?, for the unimpeded plodder to get up at the wire. But this is PA, and, here, there's no such thing as LUCK. :lol:

That was pure luck. Barry Abrams and his family got a nice gift. Tyler Baze too. Abrams is a tough bird. Having beaten throat cancer he had the forsight to claim unusual heat for 80k and as a part owner he cleans up with a piece of many of the unusual heat offspring. But this one was a gift!! Knocked all of my tickets out...........too............

http://www.ctba.com/06magazine/apr/TrainerOfYearAbrams.pdf

chickenhead
11-27-2007, 12:50 AM
yeah this one wasn't very pleasant. Had Quietly Mine and Desert Code keyed in the top two slots on everything, and there is just no question they were the best two in the race. I thought on first few viewings that Desert Code may have impeded Quietly Mine a little all on his own. Pval started to come out just at the same time Gryder was trying to come around, where he may not have had room to in the first place. I thought there was some possibility the stewards might ding him as well, but in comparison to what the 10 did, hardly worth mentioning.