PDA

View Full Version : The Green Monkey

Bruddah
11-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, the GM is going to try grass. We had a good discussion about this 'bad boy' some weeks back. As I remember it, I was lambasted by a few of the "Equine Intelligencia Wannabees" on this board because I questioned, out loud, if this horse might be light in the hooves (not interested in fillies). I also questioned whether or not if this "pink elephant" would ever win a race. Well Equine Intelligencia, if he don't win this one, he won't win any of them.

He runs like a $10k claimer, they might as well put him in a race he has a chance of breaking his maiden conditions.
:lol: :D

PaceAdvantage
11-21-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm not sure if I was one of the EIW's, but I still don't understand the "doesn't like fillies" theory. Explain that one again please....he hasn't been to the breeding shed yet, so how would you know one way or the other? Are you theorizing that they have walked him by a few buxom mares around the track and he showed zero interest, thus they are keeping him on the track despite his obvious athletic shortcomings, rather than whisking him to the breeding shed where you think he should be at this point?

Tom
11-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Got from another horse. TGM has a "wide stance" in his stall. :D

dylbert
11-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Have no fear,virtual racing secretary here...

ALLOWANCE. 3 year olds and up. Restricted to horses with purchase price of $13 million or higher since 2003. Weight 118 lbs.

Bruddah
11-21-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure if I was one of the EIW's, but I still don't understand the "doesn't like fillies" theory. Explain that one again please....he hasn't been to the breeding shed yet, so how would you know one way or the other? Are you theorizing that they have walked him by a few buxom mares around the track and he showed zero interest, thus they are keeping him on the track despite his obvious athletic shortcomings, rather than whisking him to the breeding shed where you think he should be at this point?

I posed my original question asking if he might be "light in the hooves" or if anyone had heard. Probably a poor way of asking the question. I will admit my bad on this. However, the responses by you and some of the other 'Equine Intelligencia' took it to a level of me bashing Homosexuals. One member even stated there were no homosexual horses..yada yada yada. Actually, it was asking if he was interested in girls and I reiterate the question. Because they seem more interested in breaking the horses Maiden and finding a level he might be able to compete successfully. With the bloodline this horse has ($13M :faint: ) does a maiden win really matter? Does a Maiden win really drive up the asking price as a Stallion. With this much negative publicity...I think Not! (JMHO) :)

Again, origionally stated poorly by me, I was wondering if this could be the problem. Obviously, the GM is not even worth the price of a $10k claimer if neutered. My overall point was, I felt the GM to be worthless several months ago, prior to running his first race. Why? Because he certainly was taking a long time to get to the track and they seemed in no hurry to put him in the breeding shed, albeit at rock bottom prices.

cj
11-21-2007, 08:56 AM
While the purchase price is impressive, this horse won't be worth much in the breeding shed unless he shows at least some talent on the track. He'll wind up in Turkey or some place like that if he doesn't win some races.

Premier Turf Club
11-21-2007, 09:09 AM
I've said all along, if this horse has any future at all, it's on grass. Frankly, I thought they would have run him on grass last time but I guess Pletcher wanted to be sure.

He should run OK on synthetic as well. I expect him to get through at least NW on turf. JMHO.

46zilzal
11-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Many proven stallions have been designated "shy breeders," as it is not unheard of.

Robert Fischer
11-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Relentless Pursuit has been freshened , added blinkers , and pushed in a workout.
You can't toss the Monkey or Frankel's two horses with any certainty, but I expect a big effort from RP. I would consider all 4 in the multis.

I would guess that Gomez will take a hold of The Green Monkey, and not try to sneak out on a loose lead.

Bruddah
11-21-2007, 03:35 PM
While the purchase price is impressive, this horse won't be worth much in the breeding shed unless he shows at least some talent on the track. He'll wind up in Turkey or some place like that if he doesn't win some races.

But, considering this horse's bloodline, purchase price, history and now negative publicity, How much more is he worth with a lone (single) Maiden win going to the breeding shed? I believe, if they had taken him straight to the breeding shed with 0 starts and said he was just unable to race, he would have demanded more of a stud price than anything they can hope for going forward. (JMHO)

Again I maintain, if he can't win this next race, he never will win and he will be almost valueless. The same as a gelding which can't win at the track. :)

Robert Fischer
11-21-2007, 03:53 PM
He might be worth fifty to a hundred thousand right now on the track and he has some value to breed right now. He could increase those numbers to some degree.

There are a lot worse maidens. He just isn't a top class animal. Thats the joke of it. They misjudged his looks and his talent.

He is fast enough and versatile enough to win some races. He may even win some stakes races in his career, but it will take all the trainers and vets help, and even a stakes win will not make him a great animal to breed to.

posttime23
11-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Out of the money - 4th

Premier Turf Club
11-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I've said all along, if this horse has any future at all, it's on grass. Frankly, I thought they would have run him on grass last time but I guess Pletcher wanted to be sure.

He should run OK on synthetic as well. I expect him to get through at least NW on turf. JMHO.

OK, The Green Donkey's got the same kind of crappy action and wind problems he had on dirt on the turf. I think you can safely say he will never be anything at all. I was wrong.

He's clearly not the same horse that worked at the 2YO in training sale.

DJofSD
11-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Has TGM actually been entered?

DeanT
11-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I was surprised to see 6-5. They keep hammering him.

Dan Montilion
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
TGM needs more distance... Say from Hollypark to Boise.

DeanT
11-21-2007, 05:22 PM
This is the head scratcher of the year for me. I still think that this horse must show amazing ability in the morning and they have found excuses for him each time.

Would not it have made more sense to max his value to do this if they didnt believe in him?:

Hype him, race him once in a cheap MSW where he can get an easy lead and crush, retire him with an "injury". Then stand him somewhere, with the cachet and mystery that he could have been "one of the best"?

Makes sense to me. Racing him three times and getting beat doesnt.

Premier Turf Club
11-21-2007, 05:23 PM
TGM needs more distance... Say from Hollypark to Boise.

:lol::lol::lol:

JustRalph
11-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Laid down bad..................

kenwoodallpromos
11-21-2007, 07:28 PM
In TGM's 1f world record, how large was the field??

NY BRED
11-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Inmho, the only reason to ship this horse to LaLaland was the ability to
use bute as a possible "cure" for the poor performances to date.

Otherwise, it would seem the GPX would be a better place to run on the turf
as the turns aren't as tight as in California.

Speed Figure
11-21-2007, 08:08 PM
What did they see that would make them spend 16M?

surfdog89
11-21-2007, 08:13 PM
donkeys

Bruddah
11-21-2007, 10:17 PM
donkeys

Maybe the meds they were using the day of the auction, had them seeing a green donkey with wings. :lol:

Can you say :kiss: $13 million goodbye.

pandy
11-21-2007, 10:49 PM
I hated The Green Monkey today but couldn't figure out who to bet against him so I passed the race. In his last start he set a very slow pace and when the really running started, he gave way, similar to today's race.

Ron
11-21-2007, 11:00 PM
I hated The Green Monkey today but couldn't figure out who to bet against him so I passed the race. In his last start he set a very slow pace and when the really running started, he gave way, similar to today's race.

Wow you called it.

Can you really pass judgement on a horse 2 or 3 races into his career? I know a few horses that won their first 2 or 3 that you now call pigs.

pandy
11-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Of course not, Seabiscuit, John Henry, Forego, are just a few that come to mind that took time to develop into the monsters that they were. My only point was that the monkey was a ridiculous underlay because his last race was so bad. Although my guess is that he will not be a good horse, can't finish.

Tom
11-22-2007, 12:02 AM
TGM needs more distance... Say from Hollypark to Boise.:lol::lol::lol:

PaceAdvantage
11-22-2007, 03:12 AM
I posed my original question asking if he might be "light in the hooves" or if anyone had heard. Probably a poor way of asking the question. I will admit my bad on this. However, the responses by you and some of the other 'Equine Intelligencia' took it to a level of me bashing Homosexuals. One member even stated there were no homosexual horses..yada yada yada.I took it to the level of you bashing gays? Really? I did that? I'll have to go back and reread, 'cause I don't recall any such stupidity on my part.

In any event, your explanation is pretty much what I suspected. Thanks for providing it...

russowen77
11-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I hate to think of all the horses that have been ruined by being sold at a two year old in training sale. Asking a horse that young for a big effort can result in that being his only big effort they ever do. A lot of folks want to see those big fractions and for some reason don't care about the possible harm to the horse. Strange.

pandy
11-22-2007, 09:58 AM
That may be true, I tend to agree with you, but I can tell you that generally speaking, horses that did well in their works during these sessions tend to win at first asking and many pay big prices.

joanied
11-25-2007, 12:19 PM
I knew he was going to run, and had to come here to see how he did...I see he finished 4th...wonder how far he got beat?
I wish I could see a video clip of this race...is there one around to view?

I agree with you guys about the in training sales...I remember seeing the photo of him in the BloodHorse mag in that work, he did look incredible...but, guess sometimes looks can decieve...
I also agree it would have been better, in hind sight, to simply send him right to the shed with a "soundness issue"...but I guess all his connections expected great things from him, they had to try him in the afternoon.
Maybe they need to ship him someplace and try Poly Track?

Regardless, I can't feel bad for his connections, but I really do feel bad for the horse...I'm glad he doesn't know how dismal his 'career' has been.
I think at this point, they may as well keep trying him.... if the horse works great in the morning, there has got to be something there...Pletcher needs to get into this horse's head and find the key to winning in the afternoon.
Actually, maybe the owners need to consider another trainer for this colt.

Poor Green Monkey.

DJofSD
11-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Cal Racing link. (http://www.calracing.com/replays.php) No charge registration required. 11/21 race 4 to see the GM performance.

joanied
11-25-2007, 12:47 PM
DJofSD,

Thanks so much for the link to the GM's race...not only a 4th place finish, but a far back 4th....for a few seconds there it looked like the horse was actually gonna run...flattened out just like always.
Maybe they need to try him without blinkers? Man, they need to try something...as I mentioned, maybe Poly Track...or a new trainer.
Geeze!!