PDA

View Full Version : Power of coupled entry.

Fastracehorse
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't have a stat on the efficacy of the coupled entry but in my research it is a formative FACTOR in predicting winners. I always knew the uncoupled entry was a factor - and it made more sense to me because the partnership could get a good price. Zito won with one on Sat..

The coupled entry won the last leg of the p-4 on Sat.. at Wdb.

It made the early p-4 pay $500 for $1 on Sun. at Aqu - with 2 faves and a 2nd choice.

It's one of my fave angles anyways.

fffastt

46zilzal
11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
No two trainers use it the same way. Many have the second one in just for conditioning, others as a pace prompter....combinations are just limited to one's imagination.

RaceBookJoe
11-19-2007, 05:11 PM
No two trainers use it the same way. Many have the second one in just for conditioning, others as a pace prompter....combinations are just limited to one's imagination.

Very true and at times it is impossible to know which is which. One entry angle I used to use was when the stronger part of the entry scratched while getting decent odds on the "lesser" half. Another one used on occasion is when both halves of the entry figure near the top, i would be to bet to place and/or show thinking that if they both get in, the backholes would be a decent return.

kenwoodallpromos
11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
DOn't take this as nagative- I'm just curious
"I don't have a stat on the efficacy of the coupled entry but in my research it is a formative FACTOR in predicting winners."
I'm curious how you compile results of your research without using stats?

Robert Fischer
11-24-2007, 10:17 AM
the coupled entry can be great if both are well meant.

Never take the 2 for 1 attitude. If one of them stinks all you are getting is the 1.

In cheap races when the entry looks decent they often go off big underlays. I have seen this in New York several times this year.

Fastracehorse
11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Anecdotally.

U can compile information without statistically analyzing it - and when a factor appears to be predictive U can assume it is formative.

fffastt

Fastracehorse
11-26-2007, 04:09 PM
the coupled entry can be great if both are well meant.

Never take the 2 for 1 attitude. If one of them stinks all you are getting is the 1.

In cheap races when the entry looks decent they often go off big underlays. I have seen this in New York several times this year.

What is really amazing is when they come 1-2 as an underlay.

Also, it often happens that the weaker looking entrant is the good one.

fffastt

OTM Al
11-26-2007, 10:32 PM
That touches on something I've often thought about when the stronger looking part of the entry gets scratched. It seems that the part of the entry left outruns its odds very often. Possible strong trainer signal since if you have 2 that look like winners, no reason to put them in the same race. Guess one could compare morning line for the full entry against final odds and then compare to the actual hit rate for one left, though would have to set some sort of odds change after the scratch like double the ML. Anyway, its always something that makes me look twice.