PDA

View Full Version : Disabled jockeys

kenwoodallpromos
11-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Should money from unclaimed tickets be used to help disabled jockeys everywhere besides just California?

njcurveball
11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
ObviouslyI voted yes, but I am not the one handling the money. I think the legislature needs to take another look at breakage and put all of that money into a fund for all of the horsemen.

Trainers (head and assistants), grooms, jocks, hotwalkers, even the people who bang the shoes on the horses feet.

CryingForTheHorses
11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
ObviouslyI voted yes, but I am not the one handling the money. I think the legislature needs to take another look at breakage and put all of that money into a fund for all of the horsemen.

Trainers (head and assistants), grooms, jocks, hotwalkers, even the people who bang the shoes on the horses feet.

I agree 100%

dbdawg
11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
What appear to be a simple solution to hot industry topic isn't quite that easy. Every industry employee seems to have a overwhelming need for a cash infusion. The back-side workers have no health insurance as well as most of the part time club house staff(overall 90% of the track employees). The biggest problem isn't going to be who to give it to but getting it back from the State. GOOD :p Luck.

Ron
11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
I think insurance should help disabled jockeys. Unclaimed tickets should go back to the bettors.

Tom
11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Change my vote - Ron hit the nail on the head.

kenwoodallpromos
11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Last year I emailed CHRB several times saying if breakage is not returned to the beooters it should be used to help disabled jockeys- a few months later they set up for money from unclaimed tickets to help disabled jockeys.
I also emailed the Jockey Guild tellingt them to have their graded stakes winning jockeys donate 10% of their winnings to help disabled jockeys, no word on that yet.
It was reported that not all Guild jockeys are buying insurance themselves- I assume many backsiders may not but insurance either.
permanently disabled jockeys do not get back in the saddle and are recieving very little from the Guild or from industry donations.
Meanwhile, those in control seem to be in no hurry to give back breakage; or to figure out how to re-distribute unclaimed tickets, except Ca recently.

kenwoodallpromos
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Last year I emailed CHRB several times saying if breakage is not returned to the bettors it should be used to help disabled jockeys- a few months later they set up for money from unclaimed tickets to help disabled jockeys.
I also emailed the Jockey Guild telling them to have their graded stakes winning jockeys donate 10% of their winnings to help disabled jockeys, no word on that yet.
It was reported that not all Guild jockeys are buying insurance themselves- I assume many backsiders may not buy insurance either.
permanently disabled jockeys do not get back in the saddle and are recieving very little from the Guild or from industry donations.
Meanwhile, those in control seem to be in no hurry to give back breakage; or to figure out how to re-distribute unclaimed tickets, except Ca recently.

Dan Montilion
11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Take the money and print up some very large signs that say....

ATTENTION... Do not lose, throw away or forget to cash your winning tickets.
And for god's sake take your tickets AND voucher from the self service machines... You DUMB ASS.

rrbauer
11-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Puhleeze! The breakage belongs to the HORSEPLAYERS. It's an example of systematic looting of our winnings. There was a day when you could make a case for breakage to assist in fast calculation of payout prices when it was being done manually; and, to simplify cash settlement of tickets at the windows. Those days are over. Breakage needs to be eliminated except for the removal of mils from the payout calculation; and, to round down to eliminate pennies (although it's a concession not made at any other payout venue that I'm familar with) when cash settlement is made. Both are simple modifications to the tote calculation and payout software.

Give the jocks the uncashed tickets. And, give the horseplayers their due, too!

northerndancer
11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
In Ontario the jockeys were given an option to take either the current 10% for win and a set amount for 2nd & 3rd based on purse value and then a set amount for unplaced (amount is determined by purse value) or

5% for 1st, 2nd & 3rd and an increase to the unplaced horses that would have raised that amount three fold plus 1% of purses to the guild.

The jockeys without question said to leave it as is........ I am sorry that jockey's get hurt during their occupation but please noone pays for my health insurance and I am self employed...... noone covers me if I get hurt..... why should it be the industry's responsibility to protect the jockeys from themselves....... they are the ones who voted their representation in that took them to the cleaners.

Why is it that the jockeys come hat in hand without offering a solution to their current mess......... simple solution have all winning mounts pay 1% of their 10% to the guild......... that would go over like a fart in temple..... why because when it comes right down to it the jocks only care about themselves..... they do not care about each other if they did they would offer at least a solution instead of having their handout......

Can anyone tell me of an industry that is required to provide all insurances to independent contractors that have negotiated their set fees?

In fact what about the jocks that wear advertising on their pants...... does any of that money go to the owner of the horse that they are riding...... shouldn't the owner share in those revenues due to the fact that it is the horse that the jock is riding that is providing the vehicle for the masses to see that advertising.

In life you can not protect people from themselves and in this particular situation it is so true about the jocks and their guild.

TEJAS KIDD
11-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Now that 10 cent supers create 1 cent payoffs, why can't we have breakage to the penny?

Kelso
11-20-2007, 12:04 AM
In Ontario the jockeys were given an option to take either the current 10% for win and a set amount for 2nd & 3rd based on purse value and then a set amount for unplaced (amount is determined by purse value) or

5% for 1st, 2nd & 3rd and an increase to the unplaced horses that would have raised that amount three fold plus 1% of purses to the guild.

The jockeys without question said to leave it as is........ I am sorry that jockey's get hurt during their occupation but please noone pays for my health insurance and I am self employed...... noone covers me if I get hurt..... why should it be the industry's responsibility to protect the jockeys from themselves....... they are the ones who voted their representation in that took them to the cleaners.

Why is it that the jockeys come hat in hand without offering a solution to their current mess......... simple solution have all winning mounts pay 1% of their 10% to the guild......... that would go over like a fart in temple..... why because when it comes right down to it the jocks only care about themselves..... they do not care about each other if they did they would offer at least a solution instead of having their handout......

Can anyone tell me of an industry that is required to provide all insurances to independent contractors that have negotiated their set fees?

In fact what about the jocks that wear advertising on their pants...... does any of that money go to the owner of the horse that they are riding...... shouldn't the owner share in those revenues due to the fact that it is the horse that the jock is riding that is providing the vehicle for the masses to see that advertising.

In life you can not protect people from themselves and in this particular situation it is so true about the jocks and their guild.

Solid points, irrefutable logic. Good post, ND. :ThmbUp:

rrbauer
11-20-2007, 08:10 AM

I might be wrong here, but it's in my mind that the jocks have been getting the proceeds from uncashed tickets in Calif for some time. Do you know where the proceeds went before "recently" if not to the jocks?

kenwoodallpromos
11-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I might be wrong here, but it's in my mind that the jocks have been getting the proceeds from uncashed tickets in Calif for some time. Do you know where the proceeds went before "recently" if not to the jocks?
"Date Posted: January 23, 2004
Last Updated: January 23, 2004
The California Horse Racing Board approved a $1-million distribution of uncollected refunds to the Jockeys' Guild Health and Welfare Fund on Thursday, which principally will cover health, dental, and vision self-insurance costs for California-licensed jockeys who meet the eligibility requirements."
I'm not sure where the money went before, but I see currently many states' uncashed tickets go to the track, state, purses, or a combination.

onefast99
11-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I am sure that owners would love to advertise their own businesses on the Jocks pants. I only see cash-call and a few others.