PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland OT

Tom
11-18-2007, 05:22 PM
What a non-ending. Never seent that happen before - ball goes through the uprights, hits the support pole and bounces back out. They call it no good, Baltimore leaves the field, than they call it good and call them back out. Cleveland then wins it in OT.....on a field goal!

What a great game.:jump:

skate
11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
caught the replay.

i guess the refs thought it was against the law of physics.

really strange, did the ball hit the upright first?

Tom
11-19-2007, 03:24 PM
It hit the uprigtht, the bounced down onto the curved bar holding the crossbar, then back out onto the field.

Later that night, Buffalo hit the camera hooked onto the cross bar!

boomman
11-19-2007, 05:31 PM
It hit the uprigtht, the bounced down onto the curved bar holding the crossbar, then back out onto the field.

Later that night, Buffalo hit the camera hooked onto the cross bar!

Tom: The bottom line is that even though it was supposedly non-reviewable, I gotta believe someone associated with that refereeing crew HAD to have seen a replay! It would just be hard to believe that they eventually huddled up and got it right with no video help whatsoever. In 40 years of watching football I have NEVER seen that happen! Here's to the officials, because they DEFINITELY did get the call right!:ThmbUp: (Eventually) :D

Boomer

Overlay
11-20-2007, 04:57 AM
To me, the way to look at that would be that, if they had been playing with old-style goalposts with a crossbar that was supported by uprights on both sides rather than in the middle, there would have been no possibility of that happening. (Kicks could still hit the uprights or crossbar under those conditions, but they'd then either bounce thorough the goalposts or away from them, with no middle ground.) As long as the ball went through the plane of the uprights, you can't rule the kick no good based on an occurrence caused solely by the design of the goalposts.

ponyplayerdotca
11-20-2007, 10:26 AM
The reason they have two guys under the posts is to watch the ball all the way until the play is ended. That's why this play is still "not reviewable" in the NFL rule book.

The two officials under the posts have one job to do and that's to ascertain if the ball went between the posts and over the crossbar.

How could BOTH of them not SEE that the ball hit at least 2 FEET over the crossbar when it hit the damn curved neckpost???? Why have them standing there at all?

And then, it was revealed that one of them was adamant it went through, while the other said "no way". And how the referee didn't know it wasn't reveiwable initially is an indictment of how much these guys truly know the rule book after years in the position.

It's not that obscure a rule to know a field goal play is not reviewable.

Anyway, the good part is they DID get the call right and Cleveland's playoff hopes are still in tact.

JustRalph
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I know one of them looked to me to be arguing that it went thru. He made a hand gesture indicating that to the other ref, right away. I think he probably won his argument once they all got together. Good for him.............

skate
11-20-2007, 05:25 PM
well, i can see that one ref could have a better view than the other, since it could hit on one (small degree) side of the support.

rrpic6
11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Rumor has it that Romeo ran right to the buffet table without even a mild protest. He returned to the field holding a hot dog in one hand and a pepperoni roll in the other.

JustRalph
11-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Rumor has it that Romeo ran right to the buffet table without even a mild protest. He returned to the field holding a hot dog in one hand and a pepperoni roll in the other.

your bad...............he looks good in his suit? :lol:

http://www.bitterfans.com/UserFiles/Image/romeolaughinh.jpg