PDA

View Full Version : Data File Transfers

facorsig
11-17-2007, 05:07 AM
My Insprion 600m laptop is now more than 4-1/2 years old, but small upgrades each year are starting to pile up problems. Currently, I get an error each time I start the machine (looking for an MS Outlook file) and another when I start MS Outlook which I can click through (nuisance). I get similar errors with other MS Office products. I tried to clean registry, but improvement was not readily apparent. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this specific problem would be appreciated.

I am giving serious contemplation to either transferring all of the data files to a back-up hard drive. When I have done this in the past, I lost the e-mail archives and active Inbox, Outbox, Calendars... Does anyone know how to move these from MS Outlook. If I can have confidence about a data file transfer, I am likely to reformat the existing hard drive or buy a new machine otherwise I will slug through these issues for another six months....

I feel odd posting these computer questions here!

Fred

JustRalph
11-17-2007, 05:18 AM
post the error messages.......... we can't help if we don't know what it says?

go for it

equicom
11-17-2007, 11:01 PM
This is what I would do:

1. Go into Outlook and do an Archive (see the help files)
2. Write down the dir that you exported to, with a paper and pen.
3. Switch off the computer
4. Open up the case and switch your primary IDE drive to the secondary one
5. Install new IDE drive on the primary channel
6. Install Windows on the new IDE drive
7. Install MS-Office on the new IDE drive
8. Open Outlook
9. Import messages from the archive that you wrote down
10. Import your old address book

That should be the easiest way to deal with the problem, because the main culprit is almost certainly WinDoze. As facorsig says, though, the actual error messages would be very helpful in providing an accurate diagnosis.

equicom
11-17-2007, 11:03 PM
That should be the easiest way to deal with the problem, because the main culprit is almost certainly WinDoze. As facorsig says, though, the actual error messages would be very helpful in providing an accurate diagnosis.

Sorry... I meant "JustRalph" :blush:

equicom
11-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Facorsig... that avatar is hillarious! :D

facorsig
11-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Understood. I had some idle time from a public machine and did not have the error information at hand when I posted. The most frustrating error is a Windows Installation window for MS Office 2003 Professional which appears when I try to run Outlook. The box includes a message "Error 1311. Source file not found. C:\MSO Cache\All Users\9000... *.CAB. Verify that the file exists and you can use it." You can Cancel out and remove the box after a couple of minutes of waiting.

I will post other boxes soon....

Anyone have experience with buying "Scratch & Dent" from Dell Outlet?

Fred

JustRalph
11-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Fred, that error means that you chose the short or small install when you installed office from the original disks. It puts files on your hard drive to access extra features "on the fly" as you need them. they appear to have been deleted from your hard drive...........or failed to copy right on install. Thus the error message referencing your c: drive.

This can also happen if your network admin has restricted your access to installs etc.........but it sounds like you are talking about a home machine, no network? If you are talking about a machine at work with a Net admin........you need to talk to him/her.

You need to reinstall and do the full install if you have the hard drive space. Or read this article for some info.........

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325076

I think re-running the install and choosing to install all the components (if you have the HD space) would be better in the long run.

equicom
11-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Yep, that's worth trying. And make sure you back up your emails and address book before you start!

facorsig
11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Another error I have been seeing for the better part of a year now is, "Run DLL; Error loading c:\Progra~1\NewDot~1\NewDot~2.DLL The specified module could not be found." Possibly, the same reload will address this problem as well.

I like the avatar also....I had a boring picture before, but found that one at a website for avatar downloads.

Fred

headhawg
11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
The newdot stuff sounds like you are using some kind of peer-to-peer file sharing. Bad idea if you are.

Link to NetDot... (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/newdot~2.dll.html)

I think you can stop the process from running through msconfig or maybe even remove it through Add/Remove Program in Control Panel.

JustRalph
11-19-2007, 07:08 AM
don't forget to try this

http://www.newdotnet.com/removal.html

read this whole page............there is a removal tool in the last section........available for download

equicom
11-20-2007, 07:39 AM
I didn't think to ask before, but I just noticed that you said it is 4.5 years old, so what version of Windows is it?

I would also suggest you get a copy of "SpyBot Search & Destroy" (even if this doesn't help with your problem, it is a useful boost to your security). You can use the advanced features in this application to temporarily disable start-up applications and also get some info about what they do. It is easier than using MS-Config or RegEdit. By disabling suspect apps one at a time, you can probably locate the culprit faster. Then just leave it switched off.

Most bad stuff (and even a lot of the good stuff) that loads at start-up never really gets used, plus they use up resources such as memory and CPU.

richrosa
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
In an effort to help and not to change the subject or preach, but Ubuntu works great with OpenOffice on those old laptops. No spyware or viruses, just a useful computer with less time spent fixing Windows. Oh, one other thing, its FREE.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

robert99
11-21-2007, 01:23 PM
In an effort to help and not to change the subject or preach, but Ubuntu works great with OpenOffice on those old laptops. No spyware or viruses, just a useful computer with less time spent fixing Windows. Oh, one other thing, its FREE.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Agree,
Ubuntu or PcLinuxOS will work straight from the box (download) and will run indefinitely without crashes and generally much faster. You can also run it from a USB pen drive on modern mobo PCs.
Windows maintenance comes with a very high costs in wasted time, malware defences and third party utilities to keep it going. It is not really designed for users.

JustRalph
11-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Windows maintenance comes with a very high costs in wasted time, malware defences and third party utilities to keep it going. It is not really designed for users.

you gotta be kidding.......? Let's just say that since Xp version 2. :lol:

it isn't half as bad as it used to be. I will put my flame suit on............

Do you think the neophyte crowd could run a linux box ten minutes after coming home from Walmart with their new E-machine? Never!

Nowadays you can buy a Windows box for $399 at Walmart take it home and unbox it and plug into your broadband connection and after answering five simple questions.........be online and surfing. And you don't need to know a damn thing about "operating systems"

If the real market was for Linux boxes...........it would have won out.

I love the other stuff............including Unix and some other things......but the market was for the windows xp type of box. It only took MSFT ten years to get there...............

richrosa
11-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Do you think the neophyte crowd could run a linux box ten minutes after coming home from Walmart with their new E-machine? Never!

Two weeks ago I ditched the last Windows computer in my den. Its the one my wife and 8 and 6 year old use. They need a web browser with Flash, Office, and a GameBoy Advance emulator. I installed a content filter for the kids (took 5 minutes).

I installed Ubuntu (Gutsy), over two weeks ago. I haven't heard a peep from the users. In fact, my 6 year old has been showing my wife how to get at things on the computer.

Its all Ubuntu all the time in my house. All 5 computers. With that I threw away the last of my anti-virus and spyware stuff.

Ralph, I always respect your opinion, especially your political views, however, you should try an Ubuntu Live CD yourself. Until then you are just making an unsubstantiated observation.

robert99
11-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Ralph seems way behind the Linux times.
You can install Linux these days without any questions at all.
Put in your CD, it finds your hardware, connects to the net. If you have Windows it will ask if you want to dual boot and if so sort it out for you.
Must take all of 3 minutes.
Dell etc are supplying new laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled and the new user just switches on and that is it. They listen and react to customer demand, unlike Microsoft.

headhawg
11-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Ralph seems way behind the Linux times.
You can install Linux these days without any questions at all.
Put in your CD, it finds your hardware, connects to the net. If you have Windows it will ask if you want to dual boot and if so sort it out for you.
Must take all of 3 minutes.
Dell etc are supplying new laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled and the new user just switches on and that is it. They listen and react to customer demand, unlike Microsoft.Comments like these clearly come from people who are computer "savvy", and never have to work with users who can barely move a mouse. Some of the latest distros are easy to install but that has only been a recent trend. Try talking a user through a normal Linux installation. Good freakin' luck esp. when you have to tell them that they have to find and install device drivers. :lol:

There's more to life than "Office" and surfing the 'net. Ask Dave S. if he will rewrite HSH or Jeff P if he will recode JCapper for Linux. And then tell them you want them to make their code "open source". :)

JustRalph
11-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Two weeks ago I ditched the last Windows computer in my den. Its the one my wife and 8 and 6 year old use. They need a web browser with Flash, Office, and a GameBoy Advance emulator. I installed a content filter for the kids (took 5 minutes).

I installed Ubuntu (Gutsy), over two weeks ago. I haven't heard a peep from the users. In fact, my 6 year old has been showing my wife how to get at things on the computer.

Its all Ubuntu all the time in my house. All 5 computers. With that I threw away the last of my anti-virus and spyware stuff.

Ralph, I always respect your opinion, especially your political views, however, you should try an Ubuntu Live CD yourself. Until then you are just making an unsubstantiated observation.

my real point is, not having to install an operating system is where the market is........and you are right...... I haven't worked with Linux for a few years.........and I will take your opines to heart........in fact I will try dig up a machine to try it out...............Points well taken!

richrosa
11-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Comments like these clearly come from people who are computer "savvy", and never have to work with users who can barely move a mouse. Some of the latest distros are easy to install but that has only been a recent trend. Try talking a user through a normal Linux installation. Good freakin' luck esp. when you have to tell them that they have to find and install device drivers. :lol:

Ubuntu automatically sees your Windows-whatever-Professional/Home/Partially Disabled/version and copies all of the user settings, documents, videos, pictures, and all the other stuff you need. Its brainless!!

Ubuntu is no different than Windows in that cutting edge stuff might require an installation or configuration. I do hear stories of Vista machines that don't run devices right, but run Ubuntu right out of the box. You should try it yourself with a LiveCD. It doesn't get easier than that.

There's more to life than "Office" and surfing the 'net. Ask Dave S. if he will rewrite HSH or Jeff P if he will recode JCapper for Linux. And then tell them you want them to make their code "open source". :)

HandicappingOS works with Linux. No tweaks required. I betcha that HSH and JCapper, as most Windows apps, would run just fine under Wine. They don't need to rewrite a thing.

richrosa
11-21-2007, 07:54 PM
my real point is, not having to install an operating system is where the market is........and you are right...... I haven't worked with Linux for a few years.........and I will take your opines to heart........in fact I will try dig up a machine to try it out...............Points well taken!

You don't need to try it on on a new computer. Just download a CD Image of Ubuntu, burn it, then boot your computer with it. You will be running in Live CD mode. When you've decided that you like it and want to install it, Ubuntu will repartition your hard drive and install Ubuntu on it. From there you could could choose to boot Windows or Ubuntu each time you start your computer.

tupper
11-21-2007, 11:59 PM

Nowadays you can buy a Windows box for $399 at Walmart take it home and unbox it and plug into your broadband connection and after answering five simple questions.........be online and surfing. And you don't need to know a damn thing about "operating systems"

Actually, the neophyte crowd has already bought a ready-to-roll, Linux machine from Walmart for $200 each: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/200-everex-gree.html

Walmart stocked 10,000 of these units on Halloween and they sold out within two weeks: http://chasblogspot.blogspot.com/2007/11/walmart-200-linux-pc-already-sold-out.html
However, I believe Walmart has just restocked these machines.

There has been a lot of good press about gOS, the Linux distro in these machines: http://www.linux.com/feature/121151

Here is a direct link to the gOS page: http://www.thinkgos.com/

Because gOS uses a lightweight window manager (the Enlightenment window manager) instead of a full-blown desktop, it behaves very snappy on older hardware.

By the way, gOS is derived from Ubuntu Linux, and it can be used as a Live CD (one can try it before one installs it).

equicom
11-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Linux is great (I have Xandros), but one problem is a lot of capping programs (including my own) don't work with Linux (yet). So you end up stuck with Windows until somebody makes a very reliable emulator or until cross-over becomes perfect.

As for Windows not being high-maintenance... well XP didn't fix all that many problems and did manage to create some new ones. And don't even get me started on Spydoze... er... I mean "Vista"

Vista, means to look or view.... what are Microsoft looking at through their Windows? OMG, they know what I'm wearing! :eek:

richrosa
11-22-2007, 09:05 AM
There has been a lot of good press about gOS, the Linux distro in these machines: http://www.linux.com/feature/121151

Here is a direct link to the gOS page: http://www.thinkgos.com/

Because gOS uses a lightweight window manager (the Enlightenment window manager) instead of a full-blown desktop, it behaves very snappy on older hardware.

By the way, gOS is derived from Ubuntu Linux, and it can be used as a Live CD (one can try it before one installs it).

gOS has been getting great reviews from the Linux community. The torrents and download sites have been bombarded lately. This makes a second computer or an old laptop very useful.

This should be its own thread. It seems that there are quite a few Linux users here lurking in the shadows and Doug (douglasw32) and Ken (michiken) haven't even chimed in.

It might be a self-promoting, but I should post pics of HOS running on a Nokia n800, a 12 ounce Linux machine that I bring to the track or to the OTB with me.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Linux is NOT going away anytime soon. It just keeps getting better and better. This is my second full year using it exclusively as a desktop, and my 12th as a server.