PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Mr. Pace Advantage was right!

njcurveball
11-14-2007, 09:37 PM
BAD news for the Red Sox here! Kudos to Mr. PA for being one of the few believers! This post season will be the one he sticks a sock (or other chosen item) in many non-believers mouths (and other orifices)!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300695&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

NAPLES, Fla. -- The New York Yankees are getting close to re-signing third baseman Alex Rodriguez to a multi-year contract that would pay him as much as $290 million, multiple baseball sources told MLB.com as the owners gathered here Wednesday for the final quarterly meetings of the year.

RaceBookJoe
11-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Supposedly Arod approached the Yankees and want Boras to have no part of it. Interesting huh.

Buddha
11-15-2007, 04:33 AM
How is this bad news for Red Sox fans? Sox fans didn't want A-Rod, and he has never been part of a World Series team, or at least not that I can recall.

OTM Al
11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I think this article sums up pretty well the reasons why that not wanting this guy is pretty silly

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/071114&sportCat=mlb

I was about ready to write the Yank's playoff hopes off for the next couple years, but its starting to look like management actually may have a clue after all.

harnesslover
11-15-2007, 09:45 AM
BAD news for the Red Sox here! Kudos to Mr. PA for being one of the few believers! This post season will be the one he sticks a sock (or other chosen item) in many non-believers mouths (and other orifices)!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300695&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

NAPLES, Fla. -- The New York Yankees are getting close to re-signing third baseman Alex Rodriguez to a multi-year contract that would pay him as much as $290 million, multiple baseball sources told MLB.com as the owners gathered here Wednesday for the final quarterly meetings of the year.

LOL, bad news for the Red Sox..

Since A-roid has been a Yankee, the Red Sox have won 50% of the world series that have been played..

Yes, they are terrified of this clutch stud..

harnesslover
11-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Supposedly Arod approached the Yankees and want Boras to have no part of it. Interesting huh.

Yeah, I think its pretty clear he thought he could get more money and realized no one wanted to pay him anything close to what he wanted and the Yankees were the only team that could come close.

Made himself look like quite a money whore ass. Love it. Not to mention that this pretty much ensures the Yankees have no shot at winning a world series for exactly 10 more years.

RaceBookJoe
11-15-2007, 10:59 AM
LOL, bad news for the Red Sox..

Since A-roid has been a Yankee, the Red Sox have won 50% of the world series that have been played..

Yes, they are terrified of this clutch stud..

Yeah i didnt understand that either. The only thing I can think of was a mention that if Arod returns to the Yankees, supposedly they were also still interested in Lowell but have him play 1st base. At this rate NY will have a $300M payroll (including big contract for Posada and Rivera). Man I really wish i was younger. Now that I think about it, I can hit about as good as Arod does in the playoffs and I would do it for much less...say $5M hahah. Ps...yes I am still a Yankee fan, but that doesnt mean I have to like the front office. I am also a Redskin fan and i hate their front office. Both of my teams throw money away with not a whole lot to show for it. Yes the Yankees get to the playoffs but it has been 7 years since title for them and 16 years since the Skins have won.

harnesslover
11-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah i didnt understand that either. The only thing I can think of was a mention that if Arod returns to the Yankees, supposedly they were also still interested in Lowell but have him play 1st base. At this rate NY will have a $300M payroll (including big contract for Posada and Rivera). Man I really wish i was younger. Now that I think about it, I can hit about as good as Arod does in the playoffs and I would do it for much less...say $5M hahah. Ps...yes I am still a Yankee fan, but that doesnt mean I have to like the front office. I am also a Redskin fan and i hate their front office. Both of my teams throw money away with not a whole lot to show for it. Yes the Yankees get to the playoffs but it has been 7 years since title for them and 16 years since the Skins have won.

A-roid is a great player and one of the statistically best regular season players I have ever seen.

However, you'd think the Yankees woudl learn by now that making it to the playoffs isn't good enough. They don't seem to remember about the glory days of 1995-2000 when they had great TEAMS, not overpaid, heartless wonders.

You'd think they could look around the Boston area and see how you build around young talent.

njcurveball
11-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah i didnt understand that either. The only thing I can think of was a mention that if Arod returns to the Yankees, supposedly they were also still interested in Lowell but have him play 1st base.

LOL! This board never ceases to amaze me! I doubt Theo Epstein is happy that Arod (the league MVP) is returning to his division!

The fact that some people think Arod is the reason the Yanks did not win the Series pretty much shows their intellectual grasp of baseball. Who would you rather play against? The Yanks with Arod or Joe Crede at 3rd? PLEASE!

AND please keep Lowell! New York does not want him and it would be a big mistake to sign him. The guy has one swing and lucky for him the Green Monster is there to keep the other team from catching his pop ups.

If Lowell has half the brain Boras has, he will stay in Fenway for the rest of his career.

The Yankees still need starting pitching to win it all. That is one place the Sox still have an advantage.

RaceBookJoe
11-15-2007, 11:19 AM
I totally agree, i love bringing up young talent. If I ran my teams I would have a healthy combination of young guys and solid vets. Unfortunately, even average solid vets are commmanding big money now. Yes Arod is a great player, one of the most feared hitters in baseball ( not to slight pujols,bonds, manny/ortiz duo), but is anyone really worth $25M a year? I understand the whole "if he isnt on my team then I will have to face him" argument, but this is getting ridiculous. Dont forget, IF the Yanks win the WS next year...then you will get all of the bs "i told you so' threads....it never ends. This is why I am not the sports junkie that I used to be and spend more time handicapping horse races and writing music. Much more enjoyable.

njcurveball
11-15-2007, 11:22 AM
This is why I am not the sports junkie that I used to be and spend more time handicapping horse races and writing music. Much more enjoyable.

Ahhh yes! The music industry! Certainly one based on talent! There are no people in that industry making 25 million who don't deserve it, right? :lol:

RaceBookJoe
11-15-2007, 11:23 AM
LOL! This board never ceases to amaze me! I doubt Theo Epstein is happy that Arod (the league MVP) is returning to his division!

The fact that some people think Arod is the reason the Yanks did not win the Series pretty much shows their intellectual grasp of baseball. Who would you rather play against? The Yanks with Arod or Joe Crede at 3rd? PLEASE!

AND please keep Lowell! New York does not want him and it would be a big mistake to sign him. The guy has one swing and lucky for him the Green Monster is there to keep the other team from catching his pop ups.

If Lowell has half the brain Boras has, he will stay in Fenway for the rest of his career.

The Yankees still need starting pitching to win it all. That is one place the Sox still have an advantage.

Yes the Yankees biggest problem is pitching. They have some good young talent( chamberlin,hughes,kennedy), but it is still young. The other guys are old and just dont have it anymore. I love Rivera but dont think he is worth $50M today. I want some younger guys. I agree in that Lowell isnt the smart choice either.

RaceBookJoe
11-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Ahhh yes! The music industry! Certainly one based on talent! There are no people in that industry making 25 million who don't deserve it, right? :lol:

You got that one right, lots of crappy high paid "talent" haha. Also lots of incredible talent that no one knows about. Crazy world we live in. Again, i can love music but hate the people in charge ie Yankees/Redskins

harnesslover
11-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Yes the Yankees biggest problem is pitching. They have some good young talent( chamberlin,hughes,kennedy), but it is still young. The other guys are old and just dont have it anymore. I love Rivera but dont think he is worth $50M today. I want some younger guys. I agree in that Lowell isnt the smart choice either.

No, their biggest problem is their front office. They overpay for old, heartless players. They just don't get that you use free agency to SUPPLEMENT your core and fill in the missing pieces, you don't use it as the core of your team.

But it is fun to watch them dump $200 million a year and fail over and over. A yankme fan's whine is music to my ears and sounds like this thread's bringing out one of the loudest whiners..

njcurveball
11-15-2007, 11:35 AM
You got that one right, lots of crappy high paid "talent" haha. Also lots of incredible talent that no one knows about.

Music, movies, baseball, basketball, etc. are all entertainment, so we have no idea of the real worth of someone since it is not based 100% on talent.

Look at Arod, he gets more "ink" than any other player. In the Entertainment world, "ink" translates into dollars, plain and simple.

Unlike music though, you have to have a lot of talent to get ink in baseball. Look at Bartolo Colon he made 16 million to be 6-8 with an ERA over 6. Ever read about him?

Clemens was 6-6 and made a few million more. You read about him constantly. His ERA was barely over 4.

The Yanks WILL win the World Series and Arod will be celebrating with them. Probably more than once in the next 10 years for sure!

And you are right at that time due to the A$$holes who write crap about him you will be reading a lot about it.

Same crap was written about John Elway for most of his career. I hope we all can agree an NFL Quarterback has much more influence on his team winning as a 3rd baseman! Elway eventually won and so will Arod. Until then, we have the ignore button to keep from reading what A$$holes write! Thank Goodness! :ThmbUp:

harnesslover
11-15-2007, 03:32 PM
The Yanks WILL win the World Series and Arod will be celebrating with them. Probably more than once in the next 10 years for sure!

LOL, big props for the comedy.. He'll be here all week, 3 shows a day..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2007, 02:57 AM
No, their biggest problem is their front office. They overpay for old, heartless players. They just don't get that you use free agency to SUPPLEMENT your core and fill in the missing pieces, you don't use it as the core of your team.

But it is fun to watch them dump $200 million a year and fail over and over. A yankme fan's whine is music to my ears and sounds like this thread's bringing out one of the loudest whiners..Actually, music to my ears is when you regularly proclaim in late May how the Yankees won't make the playoffs. What is this, two years in a row now you were dead wrong? I know, you don't like to talk about that...you'll bring up how the Yankees didn't make it to the World Series again....like that matters any when discussing your piss-poor prognostications.

You seem to forget that not all of the Yankees came to be Yankees through free agency.....Posada, Jeter, Cano, Cabrera, Pettitte (originally), Rivera, Chamberlain, Hughes....all home grown....

In fact, the Yankees have more home grown EVERYDAY players than the beloved Red Sox....Only Youkilis, Pedroia and Varitek can claim to bleed Red Sox Red their entire careers, start to finish.

harnesslover
11-16-2007, 09:05 AM
[QUOTE=njcurveball]

QUOTE]

Yet ANOTHER great call, since the Yankees just offered him a 4 year contract.

harnesslover
11-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Actually, music to my ears is when you regularly proclaim in late May how the Yankees won't make the playoffs. .

If this is music to your ears and it results in another failed Yankme year, then we're all happy. Glad we can all find different joy in failure.