PDA

View Full Version : Riddle

TEJAS KIDD
11-14-2007, 04:13 PM
John, an avid handicapper and die hard Pick 6 player, woke up late this morning after spending Tuesday night handicapping Wednesday’s huge carryover card at Hollywood Park. He sat down with a cup of coffee, a bagel and today’s LA Tribune. After taking off the rubber band, John noticed that the paper was dated for tomorrow, Thursday. Being the gambler he was, he quickly opened the paper to the racing section and the headline read, “ANOTHER HUGE CARRYOVER AT HOLLYWOOD TODAY”. He dropped the paper, reached for the phone and dialed a number.

The question is, who did he call?

Tom Barrister
11-14-2007, 04:42 PM
The Psychic Hotline to apply for a job?

skate
11-14-2007, 04:45 PM
bank

TEJAS KIDD
11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
No and No

Greyfox
11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
A bookie to play Wednesday's Pick 6.

Tom Barrister
11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
The newspaper?

harnesslover
11-14-2007, 05:07 PM
his travel agent

TEJAS KIDD
11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
NO, No and No again

bigmack
11-14-2007, 05:23 PM
His doctor to lower the dosage on his sleeping medication after being crashed for 32 hours.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Him own number - just in case his Wednesay Dimension Self answers the phone?

Brisson
11-14-2007, 05:26 PM
an offshore account , who books pick 6s....thus the money is NOT in the pools and he will HIT the Pick6 yet there will still be a carryover because no one in the pool hit the pick6

chickenhead
11-14-2007, 05:40 PM
divorce lawyer?

Vigors
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
.........the more IMPORTANT important question, did he have

cream cheese on the Bagel ?????

DeanT
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
This happened to me last week. I called Chickenhead.

TEJAS KIDD
11-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I screwed up when writing this post. I was supposed to write that it is still Wednesday morning. Sorry. BRISSON, I thought someone would write what you said. I was afraid someone would come with that answer. Still not the answer I'm looking for but you're on the right track.

Vigors
11-14-2007, 05:45 PM
..............H . G . WELLS

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2007, 06:06 PM
He calls in sick to his job so he can have the day off to go to the track?

Hajck Hillstrom
11-14-2007, 06:11 PM
He calls the screenwriter for an edit.

hdcper
11-14-2007, 06:21 PM
He called his bookie and made one $2 pick 6 wager for Wednesday on the winners listed in the results chart in the newspaper (from Weds results).

Bill

bigmack
11-14-2007, 06:32 PM
an offshore account , who books pick 6s...
I don't believe there's an offshore that books P6 action.

chickenhead
11-14-2007, 06:36 PM
if hitting it violates the rules, then he'd want to be booking bets. Though why anyone would book with some dude in a bathrobe with cream cheese stains on his shirt, I don't know.

ezrabrooks
11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Ashton Kutcher?

DJofSD
11-14-2007, 07:04 PM
His stock broker to put in some options orders.

Semipro
11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Not to good at riddles but if thier was a huge carryover in Thursday paper ignore the pic 6 and bet the other winners

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I give up.

Oh, by the way:

Q: How many kids with ADD does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Wanna go ride our bikes?

Vigors
11-14-2007, 08:16 PM
.............you know for a FACT that he DID have Cream Cheese ????

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Since the other answers have been considered wrong, let's try:

He calls and opens an betting exchange account and offers lay bets on a perfect 6-of-6.

TEJAS KIDD
11-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Nobody has come with the answer yet.

DJofSD
11-14-2007, 08:30 PM
OK, if we're not even close at this point, it's time to go silly -- he called Ghost Busters!

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2007, 09:20 PM
None with the answer yet?

OK.

The "Good Me" says the guy calls his parents and brings them to the track, so they can be there for his big score, after they'd chided them for years that he'd never make a good score or success betting the races.

The "Naughty Me" says he calls the sexiest babe he knows that'll go to the track with him, to enjoy the experience and thrill of the biggest day of his live, and hoping for one hell of a celebration afterwards through the evening and perhaps the next morning.

OK. Now all I need is tomorrow's newspaper. The heck with the riddle, I know what'd I'd want to do! ;) :lol: :cool:

Donnie
11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Maybe I am not following the facts:

It's Wed morning. There was a carryover on Wed...correct? I handicapped it Tuesday night.
I open Thursday's paper on Wednesday morning, and it says "Today ANOTHER Huge Carryover!!" Doesn't this mean I don't (as in shouldn't) play the Pick 6 today? Wednesday? Afterall, tomorrow's paper is telling me I am NOT gonna win today! Wouldn't I call to cancel my bets and warn my syndicate friends to don't bother betting, cause they are NOT going to win the Pick 6. Or else you are going against the fact that NO ONE hit it. If you hit it there would not be a carryover tomorrow (Thursday)....you would have won it!!

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Guess it all depends on determism and how strongly one feels about tomorrow's newspaper today being accurate and unchangeable. So much for riddles, more of an off-topic subject a bunch of us would argue for days.

TEJAS KIDD
11-14-2007, 09:49 PM
DONNIE,

you're on the right path.

Vigors
11-14-2007, 09:49 PM
..........I'll do the joke's, O.K.?

Donnie
11-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Steve-
Your determinism will send you to the poorhouse today....the paper tells you that no one hit it on Wednesday. It would be a leap of faith to think you are gonna hit it already knowing that NO ONE did......

I take this riddle as the fact that even when you can see you are going to lose, we still think we can overcome the reality of it all. The facts are right ahead of you and you have "inside" info no one else has. But you would be playing it all wrong by even playing today. The question is...who is on the other end of that phone? Probably calling for a tee-time.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah, better get the tee-time. Or call can cancel any prior wagers.

I'm not sure what versions of the fantasy/time-travel/back-to-the-future/tomorrows newpaper apply to this riddle. Like the TV show Early Edition, the guy gets the future paper, and he changes something, then the paper shows something different he needs to get involved in.

Been fun, but I've chased this one further than I have time for. Maybe I'll stick around for the answer.

At least in the show 'Early Edition', we know the result in about an hour.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-14-2007, 10:22 PM
In the set-up of the riddle, the guy doesn't even look at the results to find out who the winners were. Just puts down the paper after reading about the carryover. Blows the premise about why most of us would love to see tomorrows newspaper 1 day in advance.

Donnie
11-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Never seen the show....I am regulated to Animal Planet and Discovery Channel....that and YouBet video on my computer. All in all I think I have seen ONE episode of Seinfeld, and have never seen an entire episode of the Sapranos. So the premise behind Early Edition that I am aware of is just the part of him getting tomorrow's paper today....I didn't realize it could change.

HOUSE...now that's a show!!! LOL!

Donnie
11-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Steve---
Your "stats" are showing. You are starting to analyze the riddle clinically!

Hajck Hillstrom
11-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Ashton Kutcher?....it is the best.

fastfreddy
11-14-2007, 10:27 PM
TEJAS KIDD

John, an avid handicapper and die hard Pick 6 player, woke up late this morning after spending Tuesday night handicapping Wednesday’s huge carryover card at Hollywood Park. He sat down with a cup of coffee, a bagel and today’s LA Tribune. After taking off the rubber band, John noticed that the paper was dated for tomorrow, Thursday. Being the gambler he was, he quickly opened the paper to the racing section and the headline read, “ANOTHER HUGE CARRYOVER AT HOLLYWOOD TODAY”. He dropped the paper, reached for the phone and dialed a number.

The question is, who did he call?

He called his boss to apologize for not showing up for work on Wed. Because after he dropped the paper he realized after handicapping all night Tuesday (and probably into Wednesday morning) that he slept all day Wed. and it was in fact Thurs morning!

stu
11-14-2007, 10:28 PM
He calls his boss and tells him that he made a mistake. His dentist appointment is Thursday and not Wednesday. He tells his boss his error and tells him that he will be in soon and will have to miss work on Thursday.

TEJAS KIDD
11-14-2007, 10:31 PM
[size=2] He called his boss to apologize for not showing up for work on Wed. Because after he dropped the paper he realized after handicapping all night Tuesday (and probably into Wednesday morning) that he slept all day Wed. and it was in fact Thurs morning!

In a later post, I specified that I forgot to put that it was definitely Wednesday morning. Sorry I left that out in the original post. Good answer,though not the one I was looking for.

TK

fastfreddy
11-14-2007, 11:20 PM
TK
He sat down with a cup of coffee, a bagel and today’s LA Tribune. After taking off the rubber band, John noticed that the paper was dated for tomorrow,
Then I would think you would also have to clarify this contradiction.
If it "today's" LA times and its Wed, how could it be dated for "tomorrow" (Thurs)?

fastfreddy
11-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Or maybe he realizes that there's no such newspaper as the "LA Tribune" and being a gambler he thinks its an omen and decides to play the results of Wed Pick-6 anyway. I mean how much could it cost if he has it cold? He'd call a racebook and send it in!

ALL CIRCUITS GO
11-14-2007, 11:54 PM
His bookie and gets down as many 5 of 6 he can, to suck the consolation prize dry..

:ThmbUp:

QuarterCrack
11-15-2007, 12:53 AM
He calls his wagering account and cancels his pick-6 ticket for Wednesday because he sees the Thursday paper saying nobody hit it on Wednesday...
:confused:

Burls
11-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Wednesday’s huge carryover card at Hollywood Park

Isn't Wednesday the first day of the racing week at HOL?
If so, maybe he was calling the officials at HOL to find out why they held over the carryover from the previous week?

Then again, maybe he was calling advancedcapper whose handicapping acumen is so astute that he can even pick IMPOSSIBLE Pick 6s.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh oh.....
I think I hear the sound of someone hitting the 'ignore' button.

Burls

Tom Barrister
11-15-2007, 02:31 AM
He phoned the newspaper and told them that they put the wrong day and date on the paper.

TEJAS KIDD
11-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm sure this has gone on long enough.
If you want the answer then read on, If not then don't.

The anwer is.....
I don't know about you, but the only thing that would keep me from playing that Pick 6 is jail or death. Since I have one phone call in jail, it would be to call in my bet. Since that can't be the answer than I guess the only thing is death.
John was calling 9-1-1 because he never made it out of his house alive that morning.

Greyfox
11-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm sure this has gone on long enough.
If you want the answer then read on, If not then don't.

The anwer is.....
I don't know about you, but the only thing that would keep me from playing that Pick 6 is jail or death. Since I have one phone call in jail, it would be to call in my bet. Since that can't be the answer than I guess the only thing is death.
John was calling 9-1-1 because he never made it out of his house alive that morning.

See a doctor.

DJofSD
11-15-2007, 11:06 AM
The anwer is.....

Say what?

This was suppose to be a riddle. It turned out to be random ramblings. How in the hell were we suppose to guess the answer when there is very little to associate the problem as posed to the so called solution that was given.

Hell, man, I doubt that even Sherlock would have been able to make that leap.

I still maintain the right thing to do is read the financial pages then make the appropriate options calls. I think you'd be able to make a hell of a lot more money than what any P6 might pay.

ezrabrooks
11-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Man, and you wonder why us Texans get a bad rap. I really thought there would be a clever answer..

Ez

Donnie
11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
What amazes me is the number of people who said they would clear their bank accounts or plunge when the newspaper the next day was already saying there was not a winner. Death or not....NOBODY won the Pick 6, but yet you wanna plunge even if you know that no one wins...?? Granted, again, never seeing the show and not being aware that the "news" can change based on what other choices you make, if the paper says no winner, that means no winner! Why would you invest deep? I took the riddle as here are the facts, and you're still gonna place your bet...?

DeanT
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Damn, that was a letdown. It's like lining up a date with Charlize Theron and having Rosie O'Donnell show up.

I guess if you knew that it wasnt hit with a big pool, you could try to bet against some heavy chalk and try to make some money that way, but other than that there is really not much you could do to secure a profit is there?

TEJAS KIDD
11-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Say what?

This was suppose to be a riddle. It turned out to be random ramblings. How in the hell were we suppose to guess the answer when there is very little to associate the problem as posed to the so called solution that was given.

Hell, man, I doubt that even Sherlock would have been able to make that leap.

I still maintain the right thing to do is read the financial pages then make the appropriate options calls. I think you'd be able to make a hell of a lot more money than what any P6 might pay.

Not everyone reads the financials. The guys was an avid handicapper and die hard pick 6 player, he spent the night handicapping the pick 6, Why would he go to the financial page. He went straight to the sports page to check the results. He dropped the newspaper (not by choice) because he had too. He needed to call 9-1-1.
Clue number 1. He was a die hard Pick 6 player. He's not thinking about stock options. He's thinking about the Pick 6 that he stayed up all night handicapping.
Clue number 2. If noone hit the Pick 6, then obviously he was unable to share the information and/or play the ticket himself. Which means something happened to him. If he had called anyone else, he would have either told them about his find, or called to play the ticket himself.

TEJAS KIDD
11-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Actually he should have called his buddy PETER PAN, It's apparent he was in NEVERNEVERLAND. When was the last time there was a horse racing headline in a major newspaper?

TEJAS KIDD
11-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Isn't Wednesday the first day of the racing week at HOL?
If so, maybe he was calling the officials at HOL to find out why they held over the carryover from the previous week?

Then again, maybe he was calling advancedcapper whose handicapping acumen is so astute that he can even pick IMPOSSIBLE Pick 6s.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh oh.....
I think I hear the sound of someone hitting the 'ignore' button.

Burls

Burl,
there was a carryover yesterday at Hollywood Park, Noone hit it Sunday.

ezrabrooks
11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Actually he should have called his buddy PETER PAN, It's apparent he was in NEVERNEVERLAND. When was the last time there was a horse racing headline in a major newspaper?

The LA Tribune?

TEJAS KIDD
11-15-2007, 12:24 PM
The LA Tribune?

I'm a terrible writer. Didn't get the authentic name right. Dam. LA TIMES LA TIMES LA TIMES.

ezrabrooks
11-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm a terrible writer. Didn't get the authentic name right. Dam. LA TIMES LA TIMES LA TIMES.

You are excused.. But dude... I woke up in the middle of the night trying to figure it out... Save those for April 1st!!!

Ez

ALL CIRCUITS GO
11-15-2007, 12:49 PM
He called up and placed as many bets on 5 of 6 as he could, thereby getting value, and not affecting the news headline!

bTW, what did 5 of 6 pay?;)

Donnie
11-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DeanT
It's like lining up a date with Charlize Theron and having Rosie O'Donnell show up.

Thanks man. I just threw up all over myself!

MakinItHappen
11-15-2007, 01:05 PM

Thank goodness you are a good handicapper...lol!

In all seriousness, it was kind of fun to watch the guessing game and mull it over. The "answer" was somewhat of a letdown but not horrible. I would rate it one and one-half stars on the 5 star riddle scale. However, within the horse racing genre it may be as high as 3.5 stars due largely to lack of competition. Hey, as a matter of fact, it may be the lone nominee for Pace Advantage Horse Racing Riddle of the Year!

My best guesses were:

A. Call the book and place a $100 win parlay on all winners. Would have added up to a nice tidy sum by the end of the day. And why stop there, how about some Ex, Tri, Super, Pick3, Pick4 Parlays... who needs the Pick 6...lol!

or perhaps,

B. Call the nuthouse and admit himself, as he has obviously lost it! Upon arrival he could continue discussions of this event with the rest of us who attempted to solve this riddle.

And lastly, I am almost afraid to ask this, but was this a "homemade" riddle? :lol:

Best of Luck Tejas Kidd and All Other Asspiring Riddle Writers!

MakinItHappen

P.S. - Hey Tejas Kidd, Congrats on hitting for $5k over on Youbet in their Crush The House Contest! Question: How did you end up with $5k? Were you one of two that actually parlayed your $1,000 imaginary bankroll into $1 Million in a Day or is there another explanation! Whatever you did, it must of been a helluva feat and would enjoy hearing about it! Congrats!:ThmbUp:

Brisson
11-15-2007, 01:12 PM
i will make sure i never click on any more riddles here at Pace...that was stupid and a waste of time

Steve 'StatMan'
11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Gotta admit though, plunging All-across would guarantee the headline wrong in that next day paper - unless the bet/card got cancelled and even then all the bet money would be refunded.

Ah, future/past time travel puzzles. Always a catch somewhere.

TEJAS KIDD
11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Yes that was homemade. I'm sorry if some of you (most of you) didnt enjoy it. I'll never post another riddle again :jump: :jump: :jump: . Sometimes I get wild hair brain ideas when I have too much time on my hands.

TEJAS KIDD
11-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Thank goodness you are a good handicapper...lol!

MakinItHappen

P.S. - Hey Tejas Kidd, Congrats on hitting for $5k over on Youbet in their Crush The House Contest! Question: How did you end up with $5k? Were you one of two that actually parlayed your $1,000 imaginary bankroll into $1 Million in a Day or is there another explanation! Whatever you did, it must of been a helluva feat and would enjoy hearing about it! Congrats!:ThmbUp:

I won that 5k back in the start up phase of KingContest. They guaranteed a purse, I just ended up with the highest bankroll over a week or two (not sure). I actually won the 20k one too, under EVENABIGGERSUCKER (you're able to pick any name for each entry). I think I had about 20 different entries for that contest, started out with Tejas Kidd, then transformed into "SUCKER" as the day went on, and finally I ended up as "EVENABIGGERSUCKER". Went on a nice little roll and hit back to back races at Sam Houston, I think I turned the imaginary bankroll into mid 200's range (maybe higher,cant remember it was back in January)

Bruddah
11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Make a $100 straight win bet on the first winner and parlay the results back using the other winners in the missed pick six. Parlaying back the money 3-4 times would be enough to retire on, in my opinion. Certainly, it would pay more than a consolation pick six.

Good answer :ThmbUp:

Tom Barrister
11-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Other equally plausible answers to the riddle might be:

1) He phoned his doctor to make an appointment, because he was seeing hallucinations again.

2) He shouted to his practical-joking wife: "Megan, pasting tomorrow's day and date on the paper is NOT funny!"

3) He phoned the L.A. Tribune, telling them that they put the wrong day and date on the paper.

TEJAS KIDD
11-15-2007, 02:36 PM
I have a terrible practical joke.

Tape this weeks LOTTERY RESULTS show. Keep the copy in the DVD player.
Next week before the show, buy the numbers of last weeks lottery. Have your spouse or friends sit down. Have your tickets on the table for them to check for you. Then while they are not looking, turn on the DVD player.

njcurveball
11-15-2007, 02:50 PM

Next week before the show, buy the numbers of last weeks lottery. Have your spouse or friends sit down. Have your tickets on the table for them to check for you. Then while they are not looking, turn on the DVD player.

You forgot the best part, BEFORE the show, you GIVE them the tickets as a present. :lol:

Tom Barrister
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
You forgot the best part, BEFORE the show, you GIVE them the tickets as a present. :lol:

Better: make sure the recording plays the programming for the hour after the lottery, then give them the tickets and say "we'll split it if it wins," and then leave the house for a while. Come back in 15 minutes.

"How did we do in the lottery?"

"Didn't hit a number, Tom."

spilparc
11-15-2007, 07:34 PM

This was actually done. I remember reading about it a few years ago.

A man decided to play a practical joke on his mother and noted the lottery number winners for today's lottery. He then purchased a ticket for next week's lottery with today's winning numbers. He went over to his mother's house and gave her a handfull of tickets and told her it was for today's lottery.

When his mother, and avid lottery player, looked up the lottery numbers in the paper and saw that she had a winning ticket, she immediately had a heart attack and died.

shanta
11-15-2007, 08:02 PM
This was actually done. I remember reading about it a few years ago.

A man decided to play a practical joke on his mother and noted the lottery number winners for today's lottery. He then purchased a ticket for next week's lottery with today's winning numbers. He went over to his mother's house and gave her a handfull of tickets and told her it was for today's lottery.

When his mother, and avid lottery player, looked up the lottery numbers in the paper and saw that she had a winning ticket, she immediately had a heart attack and died.

Holy crap I remember reading the same thing. Bad head man

Semipro
11-15-2007, 11:25 PM
I'll be damed ended up laughing at dumb tread after all thanks for turning it around.