PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Awards-Championships

joanied
11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
:) Hi everyone,
I haven't been here for a while...just very busy :mad: on the homefront and didn't have time:( to visit the forum...

Now that the Breeders Cup is over, and I am rather surprised that I don't see any posts about the two day event, I thought it might be fun to see what horses our members will be looking for as year end Champions-Eclipse award winners.
I know 'they' have a new Eclipse for the Filly & Mare Sprint Championship....but not sure about the other two new races.
I am also of the belief that a horse should not be named an Eclipse Champion off one big race on BC Day. What are your thoughts about that?

I still feel sick that the weather played havoc on the event, but I think for the most part, the best horses won...there are a few exceptions to that, of course.

Anyway, look foward to your views, opinions and picks!!

Have a good one
:)

ryesteve
11-14-2007, 02:13 PM
I am also of the belief that a horse should not be named an Eclipse Champion off one big race on BC Day. What are your thoughts about that?
I completely agree with you; but the people who vote seem to feel otherwise. Maybe that's why no one's discussing this... once the BC races have been run, the awards tend to be a foregone conclusion.

joanied
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
yes, they do seem to be a forgone :( conclusion....which is one reason I posted about this...curious as to what horses we would name Champions after the BC races.
I wonder if the 'racing public' could possibly influence:eek: the year end awards. It's apparent the 'board' that does the voting must be wearing full cup blinkers...they sure seem to loose :ThmbDown: sight of the entire race season when they vote... it's time for a change and maybe if they got a ton of letters & emails and/or a petiton for change, they would finally open their eyes and do the right thing?

:)

OTM Al
11-14-2007, 03:09 PM
I think all winners that day did wrap legitimate Eclipse awards EXCEPT Female Turf. Lahudood is good, but should not be a given off her win.

46zilzal
11-14-2007, 03:17 PM
The B.C. races should be a consideration: biggest names meet on the biggest day head to head, BUT, have you never come down to taking that big test, interview etc. and that just happens to be the day you are not feeling well? That must be a consideration as well. ONE day a season does not make, never will.

joanied
11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
OTM Al,

I agree with you...I'd need to see the race records of all...but I beleive Nashoba's Key deserves the Eclipse. She obviously didn't care for the going and had a troubled run, boxed in, down on the rail... and what a shame about Precious Kitten & Arravale...no chance after being carried to the outside rail.
Yep...if 'they' give it to Lahudood...well, I'll spit blood!!!

Hey...I see you are a Brooklyn person...me :ThmbUp: too...born & raised in Bensonhurst

joanied
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
zilzal,

I agree...again....the entire race season has to be the reason a horse is named the Champ...how many times has a trainer said about a horse that should have won, but ran poorly...under conditions not suited to a win...they say 'throw that one race out'... the BC races are outstanding, but as you said...ONE race doesn't make a champion!!

46zilzal
11-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Being "old school" I found the best part of the year was actually in the Winter when the best stables in the East used to come West.

Then there is OLD OLD school like this one.