PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Triple Crown Race Announcer for Network TV

Southieboy
11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Poll

BombsAway Bob
11-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Marshall Cassidy:
"Secretariat is widening now...he is moving like a tremendous machine!" that race call is forever etched in my mind...(Something's got to hang out in there!)

Semipro
11-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah I could watch that replay a thousand times great call on best horse in my lifetime.

Quesmark
11-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Marshall Cassidy:
"Secretariat is widening now...he is moving like a tremendous machine!" that race call is forever etched in my mind...(Something's got to hang out in there!)

The race caller for Secretariat's Belmont Stakes was Charles "Chic" Anderson. Read all about him at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chic_Anderson

Southieboy
11-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Drees: (CBS 1960's)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ-Xn85t87k
Anderson: (CBS 1969-1978, ABC 1975-1977)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPMDyL7RV8
Johnson: (ABC 1977-1980, 1987-2000)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77xK1HDXBGg
Wooley: (ABC 1977, 78, 1981-1986)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1j8UvEQozg
Cassidy: (CBS 1979-1985 , ABC 1986)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJWqyuj1-9M
Durkin: (NBC 2001-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6q36Xqcps

BombsAway Bob
11-14-2007, 12:25 AM
..."DOH!"......"Sorry about that, Chief!"

Brisson
11-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Marshall did NOT call Secretariats Belmont, but he is the BEST race caller EVER

PaceAdvantage
11-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Marshall did NOT call Secretariats Belmont, but he is the BEST race caller EVERYou and gallahadion ought to hook up....I have a feeling you two would get along swimmingly....

In all seriousness, what are people smoking around here lately? I like Marshall as a race caller, and even better as a human being, but BEST race caller EVER?

PaceAdvantage
11-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Also, regarding Cassidy, did he ever call a triple crown race on network TV? Not in my lifetime as a fan (I started getting into the game around 1987).

Cratos
11-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Also, regarding Cassidy, did he ever call a triple crown race on network TV? Not in my lifetime as a fan (I started getting into the game around 1987).

Marshall Cassidy might have been the race caller of the Belmont Stakes for national TV in the early eighties, but I wouldn’t swear to that because I just don’t ever remember him being any more than the on-track announcer.

However If there was a better race caller than the late FRED "CAPPY" CAPOSSELA (passed away today) I would’ve loved to have heard him. Cappy called the races on the NYRA circuit for nearly 37 years and I had the opportunity to hear him called the Dr. Fager-Buckpasser-Damacus race in 1967. Cappy was absolutely in my opinion the greatest and the best race caller ever.

bigmack
11-14-2007, 09:08 AM
However If there was a better race caller than the late FRED "CAPPY" CAPOSSELA (passed away today)
Today is April 5th 1991?

eastie
11-14-2007, 09:25 AM
my favorite announcer ever was Jim Hannon who called the races at suffolk Downs in the 70's and 80's.
"now they're all in"....he had an amazing call of Waquoit's Masscap win over Broad Brush. You could always tell who he bet on in the particular race he was calling...sorry for the threadjack

Cratos
11-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Today is April 5th 1991?

Thanks for the correction. Maybe his "ghost" was there when I was typing my post.

Southieboy
11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Marshall Cassidy might have been the race caller of the Belmont Stakes for national TV in the early eighties, but I wouldn’t swear to that because I just don’t ever remember him being any more than the on-track announcer.

Cassidy replaced Anderson at CBS after his death in 1979.

thespaah
11-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Marshall Cassidy:
"Secretariat is widening now...he is moving like a tremendous machine!" that race call is forever etched in my mind...(Something's got to hang out in there!) yeah,.That was the late Chic Anderson....Nop biggie. Cassidy took over the mike at NYRA after Chic's untimely passing. BTW, Chic's call of the 1978 Belmont Stakes was legendary.

thespaah
11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Marshall did NOT call Secretariats Belmont, but he is the BEST race caller EVERCassidy was good. But in the last few years of his tenure at NYRA he seemed unenthusiastic. Almost like he was no longer enjoying the job.

thespaah
11-14-2007, 09:21 PM
my favorite announcer ever was Jim Hannon who called the races at suffolk Downs in the 70's and 80's.
"now they're all in"....he had an amazing call of Waquoit's Masscap win over Broad Brush. You could always tell who he bet on in the particular race he was calling...sorry for the threadjack
Was he the guy with the raspy voice?

Southieboy
11-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Who will replace Durkin when he retires?

jballscalls
11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Who will replace Durkin when he retires?

another really good announcer.

Southieboy
11-15-2007, 06:21 PM
state who then...

46zilzal
11-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Clem McCarthy of "I called the wrong winner of the Preakness from coast to coast" fame?

eastie
11-15-2007, 08:46 PM

No Jim Hannon used to have a booming voice and a great personality. He gave huge calls on the horses he had bet on and used to say "you can put a ring around Pension Plan or whoever won the race. The one thing I really appreciated about Hannon was that whichever horse he called last was the winner of the race. He was up at the top of the Facility but also right on the wire and never called a photo wrong. They used to have mile and a half starter races on Marathon day and he would say as they came around the far turn the first time..."They've got a loooooonnnnnnngggg way to go. " One more quickie, there was a former class horse named John Hunt who used to trail the field whenever he ran. Hannon says one day "and John is out of the hunt"

thespaah
11-15-2007, 10:12 PM
state who then... That's a really good question. Durkin is going to be a tough act to follow. There are good announcers out there but they all have what I guess are good gigs.
Larry Colmus who does Monmouth, filled in at AQU last winter. He is a good voice and does a good job. Would Vic Stouffer leave Sunny California for NY?....Hmm. I'd like to see that. Stouffer is an excellent caller. Damned good handicapper too. He helped me make some dough when he has hosted on TVG.
Frank Miramani is pretty good. He has no problem throwing in a little humor in his calls. John Dooley is a good one as well. I enjoy his calls at AP.

jballscalls
11-16-2007, 01:17 PM
That's a really good question. Durkin is going to be a tough act to follow. There are good announcers out there but they all have what I guess are good gigs.
Larry Colmus who does Monmouth, filled in at AQU last winter. He is a good voice and does a good job. Would Vic Stouffer leave Sunny California for NY?....Hmm. I'd like to see that. Stouffer is an excellent caller. Damned good handicapper too. He helped me make some dough when he has hosted on TVG.
Frank Miramani is pretty good. He has no problem throwing in a little humor in his calls. John Dooley is a good one as well. I enjoy his calls at AP.

There are a lot of great announcers that would do great for the triple crown races and in NY when the great Durkin decides to hang up his binocs. And just for clarification, its Larry Collmus, Vic Stauffer, Frank Miramahdi, and John G. Dooley. All great callers, that deserve their names spelled right LOL

jballscalls
11-16-2007, 01:22 PM
speaking of Frank Miramahdi, here is a cool video they did in Fresno.

http://videos.fresnobee.com/vmix_hosted_apps/video/1527251

thespaah
11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
There are a lot of great announcers that would do great for the triple crown races and in NY when the great Durkin decides to hang up his binocs. And just for clarification, its Larry Collmus, Vic Stauffer, Frank Miramahdi, and John G. Dooley. All great callers, that deserve their names spelled right LOLYeah,I thought the spelling might have been off. I was too lazy to look them up. But the point was made.

thespaah
11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
speaking of Frank Miramahdi, here is a cool video they did in Fresno.

http://videos.fresnobee.com/vmix_hosted_apps/video/1527251
Good stuff. He does impressions of other announcers, celebs, sports announcers.

toetoe
11-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Just a quick "prop bet" here: Larry Collmus versus Marshall Cassidy. I'll take Larry. :ThmbUp:

David-LV
11-17-2007, 11:54 PM
However If there was a better race caller than the late FRED "CAPPY" CAPOSSELA (passed away today) I would’ve loved to have heard him. Cappy called the races on the NYRA circuit for nearly 37 years and I had the opportunity to hear him called the Dr. Fager-Buckpasser-Damacus race in 1967. Cappy was absolutely in my opinion the greatest and the best race caller ever.

I have some of Fred Capossela race calls on reel to reel tapes that I made many years ago.

Race callers have come and gone but none will ever top the greatest race caller of all time, Fred "Cappy" Capossela.

Cappy, was best remembered for his distinctive style in saying the phrase "It is now post time."

He called races in New York from 1934 to 1971.

He died in April 1991 at the age of 88.

_________
David

eastie
11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Just a quick "prop bet" here: Larry Collmus versus Marshall Cassidy. I'll take Larry. :ThmbUp:

Larry does great impressions too, but it is confusing when you're at the track, you don't realize a live race is running because you're hearing the voice of another track's announcer and by the time you realize it the race is over.

thespaah
11-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Larry does great impressions too, but it is confusing when you're at the track, you don't realize a live race is running because you're hearing the voice of another track's announcer and by the time you realize it the race is over.Really? I thought Collmus was all business. Good to see another guy with a sense of humor.