PDA

View Full Version : My Review of Three ADWS I Use

trying2win
11-13-2007, 02:03 AM
I bet through these ADWS these days:

1. PREMIER TURF CLUB

2. LINK2BET

3. HPI

...Here is my review, comparing the above three companies in order of ranking, and with added commentary:

A. BEST REBATES OVERALL

--PTC (by a considerable margin over LINK2BET)
--LINK2BET (on par with Pinnacle on straight bets, at my lower betting level)
--HPI (the worst by far of these three )

...In my studies, from examining many other betting sites not listed here, PTC still leads in this category overall.

B. CUSTOMER SERVICE

--PTC (tops again)
--LINK2BET(very good, but not at the same level as PTC)
--HPI (lags behind the other two with too many alibis and excuses, of why they HAVEN'T, why they DON'T, why they CAN'T, and why they AREN'T). And when you do want to withdraw money from HPI...the key word is S-L-O-W.

...Ian Meyers goes the extra mile in this category. Ian is a real possibility thinker. PTC'S generosity has been a pleasant surprise in some other areas of their business, besides their rebates. Another example of excellent customer service from PTC, has been the promptness in receiving a cheque in the mail. It only took four calendar days to receive a cheque shipped from North Dakota to my residence in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

C. BETTING REPORTS

--PTC (by a country mile)
--LINK2BET (the reports aren't too bad when they are available, but too often the report links don't work, and LINK2BET has been too slow in remedying the report problems in the past)
--HPI (they don't have any online betting reports....poor service in this department from them).

D. BETTING INTERFACE (Ease of use)

--LINK2BET (In my opinion, theirs is the easist to navigate amongst the three companies)
--HPI (second best, but could be better)
--PTC (one of their few weak spots in my opinion. The buttons could be made smaller, so one wouldn't have to use the scroll bar so much. Plus, it would be nice to have more of the betting steps available on one screen like at LINK2BET. Would be nice if PTC provided an automatic update of the balance in one's account, without having to click another button (LINK2BET and HPI are ahead of PTC in this minor area)

E. BETTING OPTIONS

--PTC (the conditional bets option is the obivious topper, plus the 'QUEUED BET' feature is very good). I haven't tried the 'DUTCHING FEATURE". Maybe another PTC customer could comment on that.
--HPI (the queued bet feature could be better)
--LINK2BET (no comment right now,as I haven't tried their BUILD-A-BET feature yet)

F. FEES

--LINK2BET (tied for first. No fees for Canadians on deposits or withdrawals)
--HPI (tied for first. No fees for Canadians on deposit or withdrawals)
--PTC (some minor fees are incurred for funding your account using the
credit card option...i.e. in the area of long distance charges you pay and/or the credit card service charge). You have to phone PTC to make a withdrawal, so you may incur a long distance charge diepending on your long distance plan. The banner headline on the PTC home page is a bit misleading. It may flash 'NO FEES', but I'm sure they are referring only to 'NO FEES FOR EACH BET MADE'). Fees you may incur at PTC are very minor and are easily made up in the generous cash rebates received).

...As for LINK2BET, some of the betting option companies that Americans might use for deposits or withdrawals at LINK2BET may incur fees though. Canadians can fund their account online using a credit card with no service charge.

G. SELECTION OF TRACKS

--PTC (tie for 1st)
--LINK2BET(tie for 1st)
--HPI (the worst)

...No clear cut winner in this department, but suffice to say PTC is my primary betting site because they lead in most of the categories reviewed above. And, PTC has a sufficient number of minor tracks that I like to play. PTC carries some Canadian tracks that LINK2BET doesn't. The genereous cash rebates and only nickel breakage incurred while playing these Canadian tracks are a bonus too. I use LINK2BET sometimes, because they carry a few tracks that PTC doesn't. I'm embarrassed to say, that I do use HPI on the odd occasion. That's because, for example if I want to make a bet let's say on the major California tracks, Hastings Park or the Woodbine/Mohawk harness circuit, these tracks are not available at PTC or LINK2BET.

G. WEBSITE NAVIGATION

--LINK2BET (tops here)
--HPI (next in line)
--PTC (needs improvement)

...PTC in my opinion needs to improve in this area. Similar to my review on the BETTING INTERFACE area, some tweaks could be made to smooth out some of the navigating around the site. Again, reducing the size of some of the buttons could be made so that finding up-to-date odds, results etc. could be found easier by pressing fewer buttons and using the scroll bar less often.
Plus, woudl be nice if the 'MY RATES' and 'PARTNER TRACKS' sections at PTC were updated. Eliminating the tracks in these sections they no longer cover, would save space and maybe even bandwith costs for PTC.

SOME EXTRA NOTES:

...While some PA members and maybe even Ian Meyers might condemn me for criticizing PTC on some of their shortcomings, I thought I'd give an honest review of the three betting companies I use, including both the 'beefs and bouquets' from my point-of-view. I may well have forgetten some other pluses at PTC. Please point them out in this thread. Thanks.

...Motivational speaker Tony Robbins has emphasixed the importance of the acronym C.A.N.I. in his philosophy...that is short for 'CONSTANT AND NEVER-ENDING IMPROVEMENT. I get the impression that Ian Meyers of PTC subscibes to a similar philosophy.

...If you're don't have an account at PTC, you're 'leaving money on the table as they say'. The generous cash rebates at PTC really add up over time and help your bottom line considerably.

...It's astounding how far Ian Meyers' dream of a 'BETTING COMPANY FOR PLAYERS BY PLAYERS' has advanced. Inch-by-inch it's improving...more tracks being added on from time-to-time, the unparalled conditonal betting feature, excellent handicappers contributing their expertise at the site. What could be next? Stay tuned!

T2W

trying2win
11-13-2007, 03:15 AM
To be fair to HPI, I neglected to mention a couple of things. HPI provides free live video for many of the Canadian tracks they cover. I realize though, that several of these Canadian tracks offer free live video from their own websites. Plus, HPI provides free past performance programs online for the Canadian harness tracks they offer.

If I remember correctly, PTC is working on getting free live video available for their customers as well. Maybe Ian can give us an update on that subject.

LINK2BET only offers free live video for some greyhound tracks.

T2W

Premier Turf Club
11-13-2007, 08:06 AM
We're working on some interface and navigation issues. To be honest, we've add features at such a fast clip that we haven't had time to optimize the layout. As far as the size of some of the button go, we had them smaller in a beta version and people asked us to make them larger. Maybe we'll poll our users again.

We have a really cool interface coming out within the next 2 weeks called bet builder that will address a lot of these comments. When I get a chance, I'll post some screens.

T2W, thanks very much for the feedback. :)

boomman
11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
SOME EXTRA NOTES: from trying2win

...While some PA members and maybe even Ian Meyers might condemn me for criticizing PTC on some of their shortcomings, I thought I'd give an honest review of the three betting companies I use, including both the 'beefs and bouquets' from my point-of-view. I may well have forgetten some other pluses at PTC. Please point them out in this thread. Thanks.

...Motivational speaker Tony Robbins has emphasixed the importance of the acronym C.A.N.I. in his philosophy...that is short for 'CONSTANT AND NEVER-ENDING IMPROVEMENT. I get the impression that Ian Meyers of PTC subscibes to a similar philosophy.

...If you're don't have an account at PTC, you're 'leaving money on the table as they say'. The generous cash rebates at PTC really add up over time and help your bottom line considerably.

...It's astounding how far Ian Meyers' dream of a 'BETTING COMPANY FOR PLAYERS BY PLAYERS' has advanced. Inch-by-inch it's improving...more tracks being added on from time-to-time, the unparalled conditonal betting feature, excellent handicappers contributing their expertise at the site. What could be next? Stay tuned!

T2W: Knowing Ian like I do, and the constructive manner in which you listed areas in which he can improve (along with many compliments along the way) I'm quite sure that Ian will not take offense to your comments, and will appreciate your significant feedback:) . The only time that I've seen Ian upset about comments here is when they are unsubstantiated or are from guys who are making comments to further their own agendas (such as The Woodbine Folks).

Boomer

harnesslover
11-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I bet through these ADWS these days:

1. PREMIER TURF CLUB

2. LINK2BET

3. HPI

T2W

How about quickness and security of withdrawals? How would you rank them?

trying2win
11-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Under the category of BETTING INTERFACE, I should clarify something. At LINK2BET, they have several betting options. One uses the HTML style, which is essentially the same as PTC's. That is you have to click buttons through several screens before you get to the part where you hit the SEND BET button.

The betting option I prefer at LINK2BET, is either of the two they offer that use the JAVA program. By using the JAVA betting option here, you can click the appropriate buttons all on one screen before sending your bet.

T2W

~"Never think IF you can solve a problem. Think HOW you can solve it."

--Norman Vincent Peale

Premier Turf Club
11-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Under the category of BETTING INTERFACE, I should clarify something. At LINK2BET, they have several betting options. One uses the HTML style, which is essentially the same as PTC's. That is you have to click buttons through several screens before you get to the part where you hit the SEND BET button.

T2W et all:

That's not true, at least not in checkbox mode. Our keypad mode. Keypad mode was built to emulate a Tiny Tim type terminal. It's easy, but not that full featured. On checkbox mode, all of the information is on one screen (see attached).

Ian

betovernetcapper
11-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I've never used link2bet or HIV, but I've used PTC exclusively since 4/28/07.
On the subject of rebates, they are much better than the offshores, with the added benefit of being legal.
On the subject of betting options, outside of Narnia players have never had these kind of options. I was like a child on Christmas morning when they introduced conditional betting. On the dutching feature, this has never been an option for a small player. Hell, I don't think that most whales had this ability.
On the subject of the betting interface and ease of use, it's blue and it's effortless.
To conclude my review PTC is clearly the best ADW on the planet and if you don't use it, the angles in Heaven will weep.

dutchboy
11-13-2007, 07:19 PM
PTC might be ok. Just don't hold your breath waiting for a reply to an email.

trying2win
11-13-2007, 07:31 PM
PTC might be ok. Just don't hold your breath waiting for a reply to an email.

DUTCHBOY: In my experience, Ian Meyers has answered my email questions very promptly I'd say about 90 % to 95 % of the time. :ThmbUp: My definition of promptness is within two hours. Quite often it's within 10 minutes. Depends how busy he is, what time of day it is, what day of the week etc.

T2W

Premier Turf Club
11-13-2007, 07:56 PM
I apologize if I missed an e-mail you sent. I get 20 per day (at least) to multiple e-mail addresses.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

bigmack
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
you may incur a long distance charge depending on your long distance plan
While I can appreciate the comprehensiveness of your review, folk ought not to be on plans that charge for longD and if they adhere to that antiquated world they ought not to judge a service by the need to make a phone call.

trying2win
11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
T2W et all:

That's not true, at least not in checkbox mode. Our keypad mode. Keypad mode was built to emulate a Tiny Tim type terminal. It's easy, but not that full featured. On checkbox mode, all of the information is on one screen (see attached).

Ian

IAN:

Thank you for pointing that out about the checkbox mode. :ThmbUp: As I recall, at the time I signed up with PTC many months ago, I only tried the checkbox mode briefly, then tried the keypad mode. I guess I liked the keypad mode better back then. I've been using the keypad mode ever since.

I just tried the checkbox mode again today. After several tries, I caught on to the timesaving features of it. Will be using that betting option from now on.

By the way, since trying out your suggestion on the checkbox mode, I've change my rankings on the BETTING INTERFACE (Ease of Use). If I could edit the post I would list it now as:

LINK2BET (Just a slight preference because of the JAVA PROGRAM betting pad)
PTC (Only slightly behind the top choice in preference here, because of the very good checkbox mode)
HPI (Trails the field. I'm not surprised)

--Gee I'm finicky eh? :D

T2W

trying2win
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
While I can appreciate the comprehensiveness of your review, folk ought not to be on plans that charge for longD and if they adhere to that antiquated world they ought not to judge a service by the need to make a phone call.

BIG MACK:

Good point. I rarely use long distance, so I haven't felt any need to change long distance plans. Now is that a GOOD SOUND REASON for me to criticize PTC for incurring a long distance charge...or a REASON THAT SOUNDS GOOD? I suspect the latter. Shame on me :)

T2W

Pell Mell
11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I had thought about using PTC when Pinnacle went down but I didn't like the deposit and withdrawal system. I presently use America Tab and they have several features that I really like. Number 1 is the EZ Money system. If I should tap out at any time I can make a deposit in less than a minute and when I make a withdrawal the money is in my bank in 2 days and no fees. I also like the free PPS which is worth over a hundred a month because I use the Bris PPs no matter who I bet with. I get free video and have access to video replays of all the races. They have a nice accounting system where I can find any and all bets I've ever made plus my ROI and win% and profit or loss.

The only bitch I have is the method of placing bets, its too slow. I really liked Pinnacles system of queing your bets so you can tell at a glance what you have bet especially when betting a lot of exotics.
Overall I like Bris but probably would try PTC if they had EZ money.

trying2win
11-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Just to clarify something in the BEST REBATES OVERALL category:

I had commented this about my second ranked choice:

"LINK2BET (on par with Pinnacle on straight bets, at my lower betting level)"

--In case some PA members or lurkers hadn't read the recent thread in the Handicapping Forum about "Pinnacle reduces rebate" yet, I guess I should have put the comments as:

LINK2BET(on par with Pinnacle's recently announced reduced rebate on straight bets, at my lower betting level).

T2W

trying2win
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
How about quickness and security of withdrawals? How would you rank them?

HARNESS:

--I wrote about my experience about receiving a cheque from PTC in the CUSTOMER SERVICE category in this thread. I have no qualms about the security of receiving the cheque in the mail.

If you go to the PREMIER TURF CLUB website home page and click on 'FAQ's' on the top of the page, it'll give you more info on the three methods you can use to withdraw funds. Or just send Ian an email at PTC for further information.

--Nowadays when I want to withdraw some money from my HPI account, I just go to my local racetrack just a short distance away. The clerk at the front counter has to send a fax to HPI headquarters in Toronto to get the okay to dole out the cash to me. So, I usually just wander around the racetrack for 15 to 20 minutes before I go back to the front counter and receive the cash.

Obviously not every HPI customer has a racetrack close by, so I don't know the other methods of getting withdrawals from HPI. You'd have to phone them or send an email to find out other options.

--As for LINK2BET, I haven't made a withdrawal yet, so I can't comment on the quickness of payment or security. They have info on the withdrawal methods on their website.

--As for rankings in quickness and security of payments:

--PTC (tops in my book in both departments)
--HPI (a little slow for getting cash in person. Security is no problem on this cash withdrawal method.
--LINK2BET (can't comment...no withdrawals from them yet)

T2W