PDA

View Full Version : Cashed despite stupidity

nobeyerspls
11-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I cashed my biggest pick 3 ticket on Saturday despite constructing the ticket incorrectly. My key horse was Wise Cookie, the $26.20 winner of 6th race (see the Surface Handicapping Revisited thread for background). I ask forgiveness for redboarding but I'm posting this so others do not make the same mistake.

My ticket was 3x1x3 with the 30-1 winner of the 5th and the even money winner of the 7th. I got $4,180 for the nine dollar wager. The thing is, my payout would have been reduced to 2 of 3 if the three horse was a head faster in the last leg. The whole pool would have been $16,500 for a dollar.
I was confident about the first two legs so using all six in the last leg would have been only $18. Instead I got greedy and did a second ticket at 3x1x1 with a horse who ran 5th. Again, sorry for the redboard but I'd still be kicking myself if that three had won.

The lesson here is that the all button is OK.

icebak
11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
the "all button" exploits the delicious impossibility of accurately predicting many races. WTG on the nice cash!

point given
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
No not a true redboard, a dollop of self criticism added, to change the red posting to a more purplish hue !

While i agree with your after the fact reflection ; it's more like, " i coulda had a v8 " type thing. only after you realized the obvious. However; when you made the bet, you limited your outlay to $9 , then + $3. It would seem you didnot have the same confidence going in, than after the last leg. An aquaintance makes the same type $9 1x3x3 p3 bets, usually singling a LS in the first leg. A bunch of $9 losses isn't goig to kill ya, dontcha know, but you, after the fact suggest extrapolating it to $18 3x1x6 on retrospection. So, i'd call it purple boarding. You announced your score, and a very nice one indeed, congratulations, and encouraged others to genuflect as well, on woulda, shoulda, coulda. :lol:

nobeyerspls
11-13-2007, 09:17 AM
No not a true redboard, a dollop of self criticism added, to change the red posting to a more purplish hue !

While i agree with your after the fact reflection ; it's more like, " i coulda had a v8 " type thing. only after you realized the obvious. However; when you made the bet, you limited your outlay to $9 , then + $3. It would seem you didnot have the same confidence going in, than after the last leg. An aquaintance makes the same type $9 1x3x3 p3 bets, usually singling a LS in the first leg. A bunch of $9 losses isn't goig to kill ya, dontcha know, but you, after the fact suggest extrapolating it to $18 3x1x6 on retrospection. So, i'd call it purple boarding. You announced your score, and a very nice one indeed, congratulations, and encouraged others to genuflect as well, on woulda, shoulda, coulda. :lol:

The criticism from my buddies was different. They said that a 12-1 single in the middle leg calls for an all-1-all play for $36. I know my weaknesses and older males sprinting, such as that last leg, is one of them. Several years ago I missed a $6,300 pick four by not using the all button in the last leg, thus "saving" $5.
Using all is a denial of intellect and an admission that you don't know, thus diluting the ego. I have used it more recently with success and I should have used it in this instance.

ddog
11-13-2007, 08:55 PM
The criticism from my buddies was different. They said that a 12-1 single in the middle leg calls for an all-1-all play for $36. I know my weaknesses and older males sprinting, such as that last leg, is one of them. Several years ago I missed a $6,300 pick four by not using the all button in the last leg, thus "saving" $5.
Using all is a denial of intellect and an admission that you don't know, thus diluting the ego. I have used it more recently with success and I should have used it in this instance.

congrats, but I have always strongly disagreed with the denail of intellect part of this.

Intellect as I would understand it in this game is to say , WOW, if I make it to this point on the ticket is it worth it not to miss RIGHT HERE?
If yes, then the ALL is the only rational play to make.
I don't care to claim "handicapping god" , just the money will do.

Same as diversification in any investing operation.

congrats again.