PDA

View Full Version : late late scr.

skate
11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
id like to see something done.

scr at under 1 minute, at least give me a reason.

6th at HP, late scr on the #7 and the #13 goes from 7/1 to 5/2, with no time remaining. im just sayin...:kiss:

Shenanigans
11-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Jock probably didn't like the way it felt and had the track vet scratch him.

skate
11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
yep , i hear you. im not saying that no scr should be made.

somebody got the word EARLY. and forgot to tell the-skate.

maybe just give me a chance to cancel?

Shenanigans
11-10-2007, 06:25 PM
:D

Dahoss9698
11-10-2007, 06:40 PM
id like to see something done.

scr at under 1 minute, at least give me a reason.

6th at HP, late scr on the #7 and the #13 goes from 7/1 to 5/2, with no time remaining. im just sayin...:kiss:

The odds went like that because the 7 was the favorite, the 13 was the 3rd choice and the 3 was the second choice. When the 7 scratched, in the gate I believe, the 3 became the favorite and the 13 the second choice. There was a few minutes after the scratch to get a bet in.

JustRalph
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I played it back a couple of times...........looked to me like the horse smashed his head into the top of the gate "really hard"

Shenanigans
11-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Yep, sounds like the jock didn't like the way the horse felt.:p

v j stauffer
11-11-2007, 04:03 AM
The race was seconds away from starting and #7 Zetterberg acted up in the gate. He was backed out of the gate and the track vet. felt it was best he be scratched. The fans were given 4 mins to make exchanges.

skate
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
The race was seconds away from starting and #7 Zetterberg acted up in the gate. He was backed out of the gate and the track vet. felt it was best he be scratched. The fans were given 4 mins to make exchanges.

thanks for that.

i put in the bet with zero time left, but thats on my screen, i didnt bother to re-check. i felt safe with the 7/1 and just glad to get the bet on time.
oh, i figure id see a drop, just not that much, since i didnt see the 4 min left.

thats how ITS done by skate.:rolleyes:

the fact that i had the #6 horse in the 4th didnt help. i had him, to finish anyplace but FOURTH.:(

ponyplayerdotca
11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
The problem with these types of late scratches is that the minutes-to-post (MTP) on any screen can read ZERO minutes to post for the longest time.

Why can't simulcasts post a new MTP on-screen after a late scratch, so all players know how much time they have left to cancel/re-assess/re-wager their bets?

And as the thread started asks, maybe tell us why the horse was scratched?

"Hit head on gate"
"Lame"
"Heat exhaustion", etc.

Just a thought.

northerndancer
11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
The problem with these types of late scratches is that the minutes-to-post (MTP) on any screen can read ZERO minutes to post for the longest time.

Why can't simulcasts post a new MTP on-screen after a late scratch, so all players know how much time they have left to cancel/re-assess/re-wager their bets?

And as the thread started asks, maybe tell us why the horse was scratched?

"Hit head on gate"
"Lame"
"Heat exhaustion", etc.

Just a thought.

No way to know exactly how long it will take to reassemble the field with an incident at the gate....... I for one would not want my horse to have been loaded then have to be backed out and than stand around for minutes because they put 5 minutes back on the MTP but only really needed 2 minutes to reassemble....... best advice is to keep watching and if something happens be prepared.

As far as the reason for the scratch what does it matter why a horse has been scratched..... the horse is scratched and will not run in the race...... the protocol is any scratch at the gate is initiated by the state vet who informs the stewards of an issue and that the state vet warrants a horse to be scratched...... it is the stewards that make the decision and they are not at the gate to determine exactly what is the actual physical reason therefore you always hear 'upon the advice of the state vet the stewards have chosen to scratch Joebagofdonuts from the 8th race....'

46zilzal
11-12-2007, 05:17 PM
99% of late scratches are due to horse injury in the gate or lameness that the horse did not warm out of. No great mystery here.

onefast99
11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
or the owner finds someone dropped on the horse in a claimer!

46zilzal
11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Having worked at the gate an entire season, I asked Dr. O (member of the AAEP, American Association of Equine Practitioner's) to explain to me anytime he scratched late. Potential aggravation of an injury in the gate or persistent lameness.

There was no outside influence on his decisions.

I doubt it would be that different in differing venues.

onefast99
11-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Having worked at the gate an entire season, I asked Dr. O (member of the AAEP, American Association of Equine Practitioner's) to explain to me anytime he scratched late. Potential aggravation of an injury in the gate or persistent lameness.

There was no outside influence on his decisions.

I doubt it would be that different in differing venues.
I would hope so as the State Vets job is a rough one especially when you get 12 horses in the gate and someone does get injured and the gate gets sprung.

skate
11-12-2007, 07:01 PM
99% of late scratches are due to horse injury in the gate or lameness that the horse did not warm out of. No great mystery here.

oh yeh, if you're working the gate...

and in that case, your example says, no great mystery to anytning. since somebody somewhere knows what happened.

now i know, just put on my socks and forgetaboutit.;)

northerndancer
11-12-2007, 07:35 PM

Not sure if you are joking or are serious about this but I can tell you that yes there are trainers who will do this....... I know of a trainer that had worked out a signal with the riders that he used that in a race where he thought he maybe claimed that the rider was to warm up past the grandstand where the trainer would give him the signal if he wanted the rider to get the horse scratched at the gate....... I thought this wa BS to the nth degree until I was witness to the event...... Yes I was the party claiming the horse.

As an owner I welcome all claims no matter what the circumstances. The bottom line is we made the decision to put the horse in for a tag and if another outfit thinks the horse is worth the money then good luck to them and I wish them well....... I hope they go on and win a few races with the horse..... if they are succsessful they will come back a shop again and at some point they will assist you on getting out on a bad horse and that my friends is a priceless moment...... hmmmmmmm that maybe the makings of a nice Master Card commercial........

Price of the Daily Racing Form $5
Price of that runner in the 5th race $10,000
Price of that bad horse claimed from you in the 5th race PRICELESS

46zilzal
11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
oh yeh, if you're working the gate...

and in that case, your example says, no great mystery to anytning. since somebody somewhere knows what happened.

Scratches, and the reasons behind them, are under review by the stewards. They review the reasons given and if there are too many questionable ones, disciplinary action arrives on the vet's doorstep.

The vet is assigned to the paddock to inspect the horses as they arrive and it is the rare one that makes it by them THERE, then goes out on the track to be scratched unless there is a later injury (usually in loading) or "stiffness" remains after they warm up. The vet keeps a book on those horse's which are normally slow to warm out of a bad gait and usually segregates them to a part of the track where he can observe their gait away from the field to see how they warm up.

I tell everyone at our race course just WHERE this takes place and warn them to observe any horse moving up and down in this area as being a subject of a possible late scratch.

northerndancer
11-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Scratches, and the reasons behind them, are under review by the stewards. They review the reasons given and if there are too many questionable ones, disciplinary action arrives on the vet's doorstep.

The vet is assigned to the paddock to inspect the horses as they arrive and it is the rare one that makes it by them THERE, then goes out on the track to be scratched unless there is a later injury (usually in loading) or "stiffness" remains after they warm up. The vet keeps a book on those horse's which are normally slow to warm out of a bad gait and usually segregates them to a part of the track where he can observe their gait away from the field to see how they warm up.

I tell everyone at our race course just WHERE this takes place and warn them to observe any horse moving up and down in this area as being a subject of a possible late scratch.

You do not watch Charles Town then as she scratches an inordinate number of horses at the gate...... I have witnesssed her scratch 1/3 of the field at the scratch (3 horses of a 9 horse field)....... this vet does not scratch anything in the paddock but only on the track usually inside 2MTP and as they are loading at the gate.

Ontario does it the best with the vet check in the morning of the race. There is a Commission vet at Woodbine nicknamed Twister because he twists knees and ankles on a suspect horse. Then if he passes the horse in the morning he watches any suspect horse like a hawk in the afternoon....... yes I have had him scratch a few of mine over the years.

onefast99
11-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Not sure if you are joking or are serious about this but I can tell you that yes there are trainers who will do this....... I know of a trainer that had worked out a signal with the riders that he used that in a race where he thought he maybe claimed that the rider was to warm up past the grandstand where the trainer would give him the signal if he wanted the rider to get the horse scratched at the gate....... I thought this wa BS to the nth degree until I was witness to the event...... Yes I was the party claiming the horse.

As an owner I welcome all claims no matter what the circumstances. The bottom line is we made the decision to put the horse in for a tag and if another outfit thinks the horse is worth the money then good luck to them and I wish them well....... I hope they go on and win a few races with the horse..... if they are succsessful they will come back a shop again and at some point they will assist you on getting out on a bad horse and that my friends is a priceless moment...... hmmmmmmm that maybe the makings of a nice Master Card commercial........

Price of the Daily Racing Form $5
Price of that runner in the 5th race $10,000
Price of that bad horse claimed from you in the 5th race PRICELESS
I saw the trainers assistant go running to the outrider as they had a horse in a 10k claimer to be able to qualify for the starter which was exactly 3 weeks away. The horse scratched. Intertesting, the next time out the drf said the horse was scratched by vet.

46zilzal
11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
I saw the trainers assistant go running to the outrider as they had a horse in a 10k claimer to be able to qualify for the starter which was exactly 3 weeks away. The horse scratched. Interesting, the next time out the drf said the horse was scratched by vet.
Still could have been the vet and the assistant trainer saw it as well.

You NEVER know unless you are there.

I saw a good movie about Dizzy Dean. A father and his young son were in the crowd when the pitcher (Dean) and catcher got together for a conference on the mound. Jr asked: "Dad what are they talking about?" Father answered: "Well they are getting together to decide how exactly to pitch to this fellow to make sure they have the same ideas. " A LOGICAL description, only problem was since they were not there, the father assumed based upon his experiences. The scene shifts down to the mound and the catcher says; "You still have that shotgun you want to sell? I wanted to make sure to ask you before I forgot."

You never know unless you are there. Assuming is open to lots of errors.

alysheba88
11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Never understood why fans groan loudly when their horse is scratched. Shoudlnt you be happy that your hurt horse isnt running?

skate
11-13-2007, 05:03 PM

thanks..

thats quite an interpulation;)

skate
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Never understood why fans groan loudly when their horse is scratched. Shoudlnt you be happy that your hurt horse isnt running?

oh, i agree with that i do. unless you had the other horse running.

onefast99
11-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Still could have been the vet and the assistant trainer saw it as well.

You NEVER know unless you are there.

I saw a good movie about Dizzy Dean. A father and his young son were in the crowd when the pitcher (Dean) and catcher got together for a conference on the mound. Jr asked: "Dad what are they talking about?" Father answered: "Well they are getting together to decide how exactly to pitch to this fellow to make sure they have the same ideas. " A LOGICAL description, only problem was since they were not there, the father assumed based upon his experiences. The scene shifts down to the mound and the catcher says; "You still have that shotgun you want to sell? I wanted to make sure to ask you before I forgot."

You never know unless you are there. Assuming is open to lots of errors.

I was there the day it happened the asst came back and said he would of been fired if that horse didnt scratch. The only time I assume something is when I smell smoke!

46zilzal
11-13-2007, 05:44 PM
thanks..

thats quite an interpulation
Still speaking another language.