PDA

View Full Version : Windows on a Mac

AAcoolguy
11-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Hello all,
I have a new iMac running OS 10.4.10. I want to be able to run some handicapping software that can only be run on Windows. I know it's possible to run Windows with Mac (with software changes) but how do I go about it.
I have thought about just going out and buying an inexpensive PC laptop just for this purpose, but I am having a hard time convincing my girlfriend of that. She has always worked with PC and I convinced her to switch to a Mac (after we had a whole lot of trouble with her PC), now I want to switch back, sheesh. If I can run the Windows program on the Mac that would save me a bunch of grief. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Dave Schwartz
11-10-2007, 06:51 PM
I believe you need to purchase a copy of Windows XP and install it.

If you google this:

Windows on mac OS 10

You will get several nice hits right up at the top.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

AAcoolguy
11-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I do have a copy of Windows XP. I have heard that there are a couple of different programs that I may need in order to run the Windows XP on the Mac. I have read about Parallels and Bootcamp. I just don't know which I need. If I upgrade to the OS X Leopard I get Bootcamp with it. But that will run me a couple hundred dollars. Just trying to weigh my options.

Dave Schwartz
11-10-2007, 09:14 PM
I spoke with someone today who told me that the absolute newest OS-X has virtual PC with it.

Do not know if that is true or not.

Dave

dutchboy
11-10-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_my_mac_using_boot_c amp_1.html

AAcoolguy
11-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes the newest Mac OS 10.5 has "Bootcamp" that will allow you to run Windows. But then I will have to upgrade to that OS, where does it end? I am no computer wiz and all of this talk of upgrading and loading new software is making my head spin. All want to do is run a few programs.

kevb
11-10-2007, 09:48 PM
AACoolGuy,

I am running Windows on my iMac. It works just fine for my purposes. I am a Mac guy, but wanted Windows to run Equisim. I chose to install VMWare Fusion. Parallels is another option. With VMWare and Parallels, you can have the Mac OS and Windows OS running at the same time. With Bootcamp, you can boot up in either Windows or OS X. I like being able to switch back and forth. No matter what you choose, you will need a Windows XP or Vista (Ultimate) disk.

After installation, Windows ran a little sluggish, but I upgraded to 4GB of RAM and things are OK. But my goodness, what an ugly interface! It kind of reminds me of the design sensibilities of old laundromats. Gray and drab with bits of ill chosen primary colors here and there, and hand painted cutesy pictures - the dog, the flashlight, the "run" icon... With all the money in the world, you'd think MS could put out a superior looking product. Congrats on getting your girlfriend to switch.

Feel free to conatct me about any other issues or questions.

Kevin

kevb
11-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Based on the feedback from people who have installed Leopard, I am going to wait 6 months to a year before I think about installing it.

I would recommend VMWare. It was a breeze to install and use. Parallels is probably about the same. I am running OS X 10.4

It just ocurred to me that VMWare, Parallels and Boot Camp only run on the Macs with Intel processors.

Kevin

Gibbon
11-11-2007, 01:41 AM
....what an ugly interface! If eye candy is what you're after then neither M$ nor Apple can compare to Linux running Beryl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y

Gibbon
11-11-2007, 01:52 AM
Based on the feedback from people who have installed Leopard, I am going to wait 6 months to a year before I think about installing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_CUNSX1jzM&NR=1

AAcoolguy
11-11-2007, 04:17 AM
So it looks like if I'm going to do anything I am going to have to upgrade my memory too. I only have 1GB of memory and everything I am reading says I need at least 2GB and even better is 4GB. 4GB of memory is going to cost me about $600, plus $79 for parallels which brings me back to just buying an inexspensive PC lap top.

kevb
11-11-2007, 09:18 PM
... $600, plus $79 for parallels which brings me back to just buying an inexspensive PC lap top.

Don't do it guy-stay cool. I got 4GB for about $220 from Data Memory Systems. I'd stay away from rock bottom low cost RAM - I've heard Ramjet is a good source for RAM, too. I ran VMware for a few weeks with only 1 GB of RAM. As long as you don't have anything else running, it's doable. But I like switching back and forth, so the extra RAM was the way to go.

Kevin

tupper
11-12-2007, 01:28 AM
You can also try Crossover for the Mac for free for 30 days: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ Don't know how much the real Mac version costs.

You could also boot a Linux distro for free on your Mac and use the free, Linux standard version of Crossover.

Or, you could try Wine (the free code on which Crossover is based): http://www.winehq.org/

Hope this helps.

AAcoolguy
11-12-2007, 06:27 PM
All right I am not going to get the PC, I am going to try the memory upgrade/parallels route. I went to the Apple site and they want $1000 for 4GB of SDRAM. I found another site called "Other World Computing" and they are selling 4 GB for $149.00! What gives? Can this be right? Is this a scam? How can there be such a difference in price?

AAcoolguy
11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I also went to the Data Memory Systems site where they sell the 4 GB for $144.00. What are the risks? It all sounds risky.

JustRalph
11-12-2007, 08:10 PM
welcome to Mac world...........

If you break the seal on your mac..........you probably void the warranty........depending on the model.........you might want to call MAC before putting your own ram in............

dutchboy
11-12-2007, 09:24 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946

Link is from Apple's website that explains the memory upgrade warranty issue.

kevb
11-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I also went to the Data Memory Systems site where they sell the 4 GB for $144.00. What are the risks? It all sounds risky.

Yes Apple memory is a high profit margin for them - way overpriced. Installing memory yourself is a breeze. There is a page in the user manula on how to do it. Or you can search the web and find some nice videos showing how to do it. Lay the iMac screen down on a towel. Remove the one screw at the bottom of the aluminum frame. Pull the tab (you may have to wiggle and work it a bit) to remove the RAM. Put the new RAM back in (push really hard to make sure it's well seated). There is no seal to break, so you don't void any warranty, but if you do have to take in to Apple for repair or diagnostics, it's probably a good idea to put the original RAM back in. Otherwise they might be tempted to blame any problems on the non-Apple RAM.

I guess I forgot the price I paid at Data Memory Systems. I got the $164 4GB RAM kit. It's just me, but I don't want to save $20 to install something called "Econo" - and maybe pay for it in headaches down the road. I installed my RAM from DMS about 2 months ago. No problems so far.

Kevin

JustRalph
11-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Use Anti Static precautions!

AAcoolguy
11-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Thanks again everyone I have had the best help from this forum. Even the Mac forum was nowhere near as helpfull as all of you. I have read the literature on replacing the memory and it should be a snap. Thanks again and I know where to go in the future for computer questions.

:ThmbUp:

rrbauer
11-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Hello all,
I have a new iMac running OS 10.4.10. I want to be able to run some handicapping software that can only be run on Windows. I know it's possible to run Windows with Mac (with software changes) but how do I go about it.
I have thought about just going out and buying an inexpensive PC laptop just for this purpose, but I am having a hard time convincing my girlfriend of that. She has always worked with PC and I convinced her to switch to a Mac (after we had a whole lot of trouble with her PC), now I want to switch back, sheesh. If I can run the Windows program on the Mac that would save me a bunch of grief. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

You can download a free version of boot camp for your version of OS-X

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21237

AAcoolguy
11-14-2007, 11:42 PM
but that is for the Bootcamp beta, it expired when Leopard was released.