PDA

View Full Version : John Velazquez Commentary

Indulto
11-07-2007, 05:29 PM
http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41909 (http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41909)
Commentary: It's About Health and Safety

… In September, the Guild named Terry Meyocks as its national manager, and on Oct. 12, the Guild filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which will allow us to reorganize. One of the reasons we chose Meyocks is we want to work with the industry in a spirit of cooperation to enhance horse racing. With Meyocks’ vast and varied background in the industry, he knows and understands the perspective of horsemen, track management, and jockeys. We are not going to grow as an industry unless we come together to work toward common goals.

… Jockeys, like anyone else, want to know their own medical care, and the care of their family, is assured. Right now, even jockeys who can afford coverage can’t go out and buy health insurance coverage for themselves. They are turned down because of their profession. It has reached a crisis stage. One of the reasons the Guild filed for Chapter 11 was to give us time to find and implement a workable solution for this problem.

... There is a common thread that runs through the concerns of jockeys—health and safety. The health of the industry and the health and safety of those that participate in it, both equine and human, are paramount to the Jockeys’ Guild. I’m optimistic the Guild and all segments of the industry will come together to do what is right, and best, for racing.One way to raise money would be for the nation's leading money-winning jockeys to make themselves available for at least six jockey competion days annually at minor-league tracks with some portion of gate receipts and handle going to the Guild for distribution as benefits to injured jockeys. Autographing sessions for donations would also be appropriate to be followed by fan question and answer sessions.

The one Gordon Jones session I attended was when Eddie Delahoussaye was his guest at HOL following his back-t-back Derby wins. The crowd was very enthusiastic about interacting with him. I'm sure people would be just as eager to attended a panel discussion with Velazquez, Gomez, Alberado, etc. I'd definitely pay to talk with Desormeaux, Smith, and P.Val.

the_fat_man
11-07-2007, 05:42 PM
http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41909 (http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41909)
One way to raise money would be for the nation's leading money-winning jockeys to make themselves available for at least six jockey competion days annually at minor-league tracks with some portion of gate receipts and handle going to the Guild for distribution as benefits to injured jockeys. Autographing sessions for donations would also be appropriate to be followed by fan question and answer sessions.

The one Gordon Jones session I attended was when Eddie Delahoussaye was his guest at HOL following his back-t-back Derby wins. The crowd was very enthusiastic about interacting with him. I'm sure people would be just as eager to attended a panel discussion with Velazquez, Gomez, Alberado, etc. I'd definitely pay to talk with Desormeaux, Smith, and P.Val.

WTF do they need to do that? How about, we get BETTER TRACK MANAGEMENT in place and get these dudes the insurance they need in what is a very dangerous sport? Really, 20+ % takeout and there's no money to go around for things that really matter?

PaceAdvantage
11-08-2007, 12:21 AM
WTF do they need to do that? How about, we get BETTER TRACK MANAGEMENT in place and get these dudes the insurance they need in what is a very dangerous sport? Really, 20+ % takeout and there's no money to go around for things that really matter?I'm inclined to agree. There has to be a way to take care of the jocks and the horses who are putting on the show each and every day. There's way too much money to go around. Unfortunately, it's concentrated most in the least deserving of hands (like the state for instance).

Indulto
11-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
WTF do they need to do that? How about, we get BETTER TRACK MANAGEMENT in place and get these dudes the insurance they need in what is a very dangerous sport? Really, 20+ % takeout and there's no money to go around for things that really matter?I'm inclined to agree. There has to be a way to take care of the jocks and the horses who are putting on the show each and every day. There's way too much money to go around. Unfortunately, it's concentrated most in the least deserving of hands (like the state for instance).Isn't catastrohpic insurance an operating expense at some venues? Certainly the tracks should contribute in some way.

Perhaps a fixed percentage of each purse should also be involved so that the horsemen contribute as well, especially where slots are contributing to purses.

My original suggestion was intended to deal with the Guild's current shortfall, but what's inappropriate about the jocks winnining most of the money on the best horses in some way shouldering a greater share of the insurance burden than people taking the same risk, but without anywhere near the same chance of reward?

Finally, I thought one of the primary goals of horseplayers was to lower takeout (directly or effectively); not to raise or even maintain it.

john del riccio
11-08-2007, 05:03 AM
WTF do they need to do that? How about, we get BETTER TRACK MANAGEMENT in place and get these dudes the insurance they need in what is a very dangerous sport? Really, 20+ % takeout and there's no money to go around for things that really matter?

Fats,

If you win a race in NY, by th etime the NYRA gets its hand out of your pocket, that 60% of the purse the winner gets is more like 40%, no kidding.

JOhn

PaceAdvantage
11-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Fats,

If you win a race in NY, by th etime the NYRA gets its hand out of your pocket, that 60% of the purse the winner gets is more like 40%, no kidding.

JOhnWhat constitutes some of that "hidden" 20%?

cj
11-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I am all for jocks getting medical coverage, as long as bettors don't have to pay even as much as .000001% extra in takeout. We pay enough already.

PaceAdvantage
11-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I am all for jocks getting medical coverage, as long as bettors don't have to pay even as much as .000001% extra in takeout. We pay enough already.I agree as well. Like I said, there is already plenty of money floating around out there, completely misappropriated.....

Kelso
11-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Without suggesting that I would want the job ... even if I could do it well ... what's wrong with the per-race insurance that I understand to be available to all jockeys?

As I understand, it costs about $10 a race. Isn't $100 or so the going rate for a ride ... before the jock's ITM share? Those who want insurance can buy it. Those who don't want to buy it do so at their own risk. Just business.

kenwoodallpromos
11-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I hear each winning jockey gets 10% of each winning Graded Stakes purse (almost 500 races per year). When are the jockeys lucky enough to be aboard a Gr. winner going to help out? How much grand total do the winning jockeys get? DOn't they realize that just like Mike Smith, Borel, and so many others, they will not be rinding the gravy train long and in a couple of years will be the ones themselves who need help?
I say if jockeys contibuted $5 million total from a % of all their combined graded stakes winning shares the Disabled Jockey Funs will be doing well; then let's see what excuses Stronach or the sheiks have for not helping!

Indulto
11-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I hear each winning jockey gets 10% of each winning Graded Stakes purse (almost 500 races per year). When are the jockeys lucky enough to be aboard a Gr. winner going to help out? How much grand total do the winning jockeys get? DOn't they realize that just like Mike Smith, Borel, and so many others, they will not be rinding the gravy train long and in a couple of years will be the ones themselves who need help?
I say if jockeys contibuted $5 million total from a % of all their combined graded stakes winning shares the Disabled Jockey Funs will be doing well; then let's see what excuses Stronach or the sheiks have for not helping!Well said, KW.

And of course there have been -- and are -- top jocks who have taken such responsibility. People like Velazquez are obviously involving themselves for the benefit of others.

But it shouldn't be a function of largesse. The game needs the unfashionable riders as well as the stars to put on the show. Even the second-stringers and bench-warmers in baseball, basketball, and football receive income and benefits that aren't too shabby.

What are the odds of a kid growing up and getting a major league hit compared to his winning a thoroughbred race ... or hitting a home run compared to winning a graded stake?

Jockeys need to do promotional benefits, though, to keep the dangerous aspect of the game in the public eye, and to elevate racing's image by showing that there are good guys out there interested in humane treatment of people as well as animals. Perhaps it is that aspect, benefitting the entire sport, which track operators, ADWs, and horsemen should be supporting financially without question.

Isn't a charitable donation to the disabled jockeys' fund at least as valuable and politically correct as saving racehorses from slaughter ... or funding counseling for gambling addicts?

Until the fans get to choose which horse is entered with which jockey in which race under which conditions, this expense should not be shared by horseplayers directly through takeout.