PDA

View Full Version : New Software Offering-Bet Blaster!

Maxspa
11-07-2007, 03:41 PM
All,
New software-Bet Blaster, with I believe an Australian connection, is now being adverised on D.R.F. The cost is two fold, in that they have a Foundation membership at $400 for the first thousand members and an Ordering membership for $600 if you are member 1001 and up.
Although you can type the race data in yourself, for a fee based upon the Foundation Membership @$104 per year or an Ordering Membership at $156 per year. Other data packages were available. How many tracks it services was not discussed on the website?
The website had illustrations of the software windows and their approach was interesting. You can access the web site at www.betblaster.net
I am not suggesting anyone partake in this offer but wish to let PA members know it's available.
Maxspa

Tom Barrister
11-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Max: Thanks for pointing the site out to us. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

On the main page, I ran into this:

"You can't make money like that unless you're really loaded and can afford to double down on long losing streaks without limit. "

At that point, I closed the website tab in my browser.

bigmack
11-07-2007, 04:41 PM
$400 for the first 1000 members? If they get more than 10 I'd be flabbergasted.

Nice little nugget in the agreement:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/92copy.jpg

andicap
11-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Max: Thanks for pointing the site out to us. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

On the main page, I ran into this:

"You can't make money like that unless you're really loaded and can afford to double down on long losing streaks without limit. "

At that point, I closed the website tab in my browser.

Not to defend these guys but I think you took this quote out of context. Here's the whole quote.

"Perhaps even worse than the ones that are obviously taking money from you are the so-called "free" systems. In the long run, these could end up costing you much more than a system that you pay for. I know it sounds weird, but the reality is that so many people are experimenting with the free systems that when they finally do pick a winner, every man and his dog has a bet on the same horse! You can't make money like that unless you're really loaded and can afford to double down on long losing streaks without limit. Even then it will be mighty difficult."

He's referring to "free" systems, not his software or handicapping in general.

Personally I'm skeptical about this entire proposition and would be extremely hesitant to send my money half-way around the world for an unproven piece of software.

banacek
11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
You have to pick 6 tracks on their list.(no guarantee that I'll get the ones I want)
Let's see:

Kamloops
Marquis Downs
Lethbridge
Kin Park
Yorkton

Aw, 5 will be enough. Here's my $400!:lol:

Tom Barrister
11-08-2007, 05:20 AM
Not to defend these guys but I think you took this quote out of context. Here's the whole quote.

"Perhaps even worse than the ones that are obviously taking money from you are the so-called "free" systems. In the long run, these could end up costing you much more than a system that you pay for. I know it sounds weird, but the reality is that so many people are experimenting with the free systems that when they finally do pick a winner, every man and his dog has a bet on the same horse! You can't make money like that unless you're really loaded and can afford to double down on long losing streaks without limit. Even then it will be mighty difficult."

He's referring to "free" systems, not his software or handicapping in general.

Personally I'm skeptical about this entire proposition and would be extremely hesitant to send my money half-way around the world for an unproven piece of software.

I didn't take the quote out of context. If the person who wrote that believes that it's possible to work out of a losing streak by progressive betting and a fat bankroll, then that person doesn't understand the laws of probabability, gambler's ruin, and especially the parimutuel system (where huge bets will deflate the odds). It's an ignorant statement, whether the author means to do it by using his software/method, somebody else's, or throwing a dart at the program.

andicap
11-08-2007, 07:40 AM
I definitely didn't get that he's advocating progressive betting -- quite the contrary, he's saying how the practitioners of those "free" systems require you to double down to win, a practise he calls "mighty dangerous."
It's not written very well, I grant you, but he's denigrating those systems not endorsing the Martingale.

Anyway, we agree the thing looks like crap.

andicap
11-08-2007, 07:42 AM
You have to pick 6 tracks on their list.(no guarantee that I'll get the ones I want)
Let's see:

Kamloops
Marquis Downs
Lethbridge
Kin Park
Yorkton

Aw, 5 will be enough. Here's my $400!:lol:

Aren't those Australian tracks? The developer is Australian. Looks like he might have made it for the home market and is trying to sell it to the bigger U.S. audience.

banacek
11-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Aren't those Australian tracks? The developer is Australian. Looks like he might have made it for the home market and is trying to sell it to the bigger U.S. audience.

No they are TINY Canadian tracks. Kamloops, for example, runs a handful of times a year (6 or 8?) and might handle a total of 100K total. Kin as well. I'm not sure if the total handle for a year for ALL 5 tracks would be a miliion dollars.

What I am getting at is that on the application form you are allowed to pick only 6 tracks. And then he lists every track in the racing form. I doubt whatever he is using will do very well at, say, Sunflower Downs. Is he actually doing something track specific for all these tracks?

Tom Barrister
11-08-2007, 02:25 PM
A lot of women jockeys get/got their start on these small Candian tracks, and at some tracks it's not unusual that over half of the jockeys in a given race are female, nor is it unusual for a woman to win the riding title. It's difficult to get male jockeys to commit to these meets, and most who do either have weight problems or are not-too-skilled. Trainers are quick to take to the women, who (generally) have fewer problems making the required weight.

Most bush-track-racing in Canada is during the relatively temperate months from late March until mid October, with the western provinces staying on a late-May to early September schedule (to avoid the rain season).

Kamloops is in British Columbia, between Vancouver and Calgary. They run a few days, spaced from April until June. The top three (and 11 of the top 15) finishers in the jockey standings this year were women.

Marquis Downs is in Saskatoon Saskatchewan, between Edmonton and Winnipeg, NE of Calgary. It coexists as a racino, and its daily handle is less than $50,000 (and sometimes less than $20,000). Its meet runs from late May until early September, again generally on weekends.

Whoop Up Downs (Lethbridge) is due south of Calgary. It runs a couple of two-month meets. It also coexists as a racino. Brooke Mellish (who tied for the riding title at Grande Prairie's fall meet) finished second in the jockey standings, and four of the top six finishers are women.

Kin Park, which is near Kamloops and east-northeast of Vancouver, held their two-day meet this year. It has basically the same jockeys as Kamloops, and April Stinn shared the riding title (with 3 wins), adding it to her riding title at Kamloops.

Yorkton Exhibition is a small track between Saskatoon and Winnipeg. They have a two-day meet, one in May and one in July. Their last meet was in 2005. Jockeys from Marquis Downs rode there. Danielle Beischer crushed the opposition with twice as many wins (6) as any other jockey. Yorkton started harness racing again (one of many small Canadian tracks which have harness racing) this year (Here is a partial list of Candian tracks which conduct harness racing (http://canadahorseracing.com/resource/harness-tracks.php) ).

Grande Prairie: Not to be confused with the Texas city which is home to Lone Star Park, this track is located northwest of Edmonton, they hold their meet in July and August, using jockeys in that area. Angelle Wilson won the jockey title this year.

In addition to those, there's also:

Stampede Park (Calgary), races from March until June.

Assiniboia Downs (Winnipeg), races from early May until late September. Longtime jockey Jack Wash (remember him?) is a steward there. Travis Dunkelberger began his career here in 1994, and he often comes back and rides for a few days (as he did this year).

Northlands Park (Edmonton). This track runs its meet from June until the end of September, just after Stampede's Meet Shannon Beauregard is usually in the top five on the jockey leader board at this track and at Stampede.

And of course, the larger tracks at Fort Erie, Hastings (Vancouver), and Woodbine (where Emma-Jayne Wilson is currently third in the jockey standings).

banacek
11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
A lot of women jockeys get/got their start on these small Candian tracks, and at some tracks it's not unusual that over half of the jockeys in a given race are female, nor is it unusual for a woman to win the riding title. It's difficult to get male jockeys to commit to these meets, and most who do either have weight problems or are not-too-skilled. Trainers are quick to take to the women, who (generally) have fewer problems making the required weight.

Most bush-track-racing in Canada is during the relatively temperate months from late March until mid October, with the western provinces staying on a late-May to early September schedule (to avoid the rain season).

Kamloops is in British Columbia, between Vancouver and Calgary. They run a few days, spaced from April until June. The top three (and 11 of the top 15) finishers in the jockey standings this year were women.

Marquis Downs is in Saskatoon Saskatchewan, between Edmonton and Winnipeg, NE of Calgary. It coexists as a racino, and its daily handle is less than $50,000 (and sometimes less than $20,000). Its meet runs from late May until early September, again generally on weekends.

Whoop Up Downs (Lethbridge) is due south of Calgary. It runs a couple of two-month meets. It also coexists as a racino. Brooke Mellish (who tied for the riding title at Grande Prairie's fall meet) finished second in the jockey standings, and four of the top six finishers are women.

Kin Park, which is near Kamloops and east-northeast of Vancouver, held their two-day meet this year. It has basically the same jockeys as Kamloops, and April Stinn shared the riding title (with 3 wins), adding it to her riding title at Kamloops.

Yorkton Exhibition is a small track between Saskatoon and Winnipeg. They have a two-day meet, one in May and one in July. Their last meet was in 2005. Jockeys from Marquis Downs rode there. Danielle Beischer crushed the opposition with twice as many wins (6) as any other jockey. Yorkton started harness racing again (one of many small Canadian tracks which have harness racing) this year (Here is a partial list of Candian tracks which conduct harness racing (http://canadahorseracing.com/resource/harness-tracks.php) ).

Grande Prairie: Not to be confused with the Texas city which is home to Lone Star Park, this track is located northwest of Edmonton, they hold their meet in July and August, using jockeys in that area. Angelle Wilson won the jockey title this year.

In addition to those, there's also:

Stampede Park (Calgary), races from March until June.

Assiniboia Downs (Winnipeg), races from early May until late September. Longtime jockey Jack Wash (remember him?) is a steward there. Travis Dunkelberger began his career here in 1994, and he often comes back and rides for a few days (as he did this year).

Northlands Park (Edmonton). This track runs its meet from June until the end of September, just after Stampede's Meet Shannon Beauregard is usually in the top five on the jockey leader board at this track and at Stampede.

And of course, the larger tracks at Fort Erie, Hastings (Vancouver), and Woodbine (where Emma-Jayne Wilson is currently third in the jockey standings).

And I wonder if I'm the only one on this board who has been to all of those tracks!

andicap
11-08-2007, 03:37 PM

is she any relation to Fielding Melish?

"I have a gub.":)

Ted Craven
11-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Remind me to check out some of those tracks the next time I visit Craven, Saskatchewan for the next big family reuniuon of the 4th and 5th cousins. That's on the road between Saskatoon and Regina, which is on the road between Medicine Hat and Indian Head (but nowhere near Head-smashed-in Buffalo Jump, which is south of Calgary, Alberta). Kinda paints an evocative prairie picture...

Ted

andicap
11-08-2007, 04:07 PM
is she any relation to Fielding Melish?

"I have a gub.":)

oops I screwed up my Woody Allen allusion.

Fielding Melish was from "Bananas," not "Take the Money and Run."

:blush:

Tom Barrister
11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Here is a picture of Mellish and others, from theracingjournal.com :

http://images.theracingjournal.com/LARGE_three-girls.gif

From left to right, Brooke Mellish, Jackie Smith, and (standing) Janine Stianson. Stianson was the top jockey in the Lethridge 2006 meet.

There are several provincial meets in Canada, one or two-day affairs that usually coincide with a fair or fairs. Idaho is also big on these short fair meets; they must have at least 15 of them a year. Fair meets are more common in harness racing, with hundreds conducted each year across North America. The quarterhorse owners also have more than their share of abbreviated meets, and often these are also filled by other breeds (paints, Appaloosas, Arabians, etc.).

JustRalph
11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
oops I screwed up my Woody Allen allusion.

Fielding Melish was from "Bananas," not "Take the Money and Run."

:blush:

you can actually tell the Woody Allen movies apart?

hcap
11-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Here is a picture of Mellish and others, from theracingjournal.com :

http://images.theracingjournal.com/LARGE_three-girls.gif

andicap
is she any relation to Fielding Melish? Definitively some resemblance around the eyeshttp://www.dvdbreakdown.com/pix/11_screenshots/bananas3.jpg :jump:

46zilzal
11-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Canadian

andicap
11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
you can actually tell the Woody Allen movies apart?

Sure, Bananas was the one with Howard Cosell and Take the Money and Run had Janet Margolin (yum). Now which one would you rather watch?

banacek
11-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Sure, Bananas was the one with Howard Cosell and Take the Money and Run had Janet Margolin (yum). Now which one would you rather watch?

Well, Howard Cosell doing a play by play of a Central American coup was too funny for words. And Sly Stallone as a thug on the subway trying to beat up Woody was pretty good too!

Boy this is off-topic - how about What's Up Tiger Lily?

Maxspa
11-13-2007, 04:31 PM
All,
In my initial post, I commented on the type of Bet Blaster program availability! Specifically, the first 1000 members would be given a price break if they signed up before November 2007. When the program was first advertised on DRF, (In November) it would have eliminated anyone from being eligible. There has been a change in that policy. It now includes the first 1,000 members signed up before March 2008.
I sent an email to the Bet Blaster group reminding them of the above situation and also mentioned other factors that might hinder handicappers from signing up for their program. Part of that email is as follows: " Most important is the track availability. Many handicappers follow certain circuits and will handicap those tracks. Others like to pick and choose their tracks particularly on the weekend when the major stake races are being run.
If for example , I could be one of the thousand foundation members and could get my subscription choice of 6 U.S. tracks, I would not hesitate to try Bet Blaster. There are probably other handicappers that feel the same way."
Maxspa

bigmack
11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
There has been a change in that policy. It now includes the first 1,000 members signed up before March 2008.
They might as well change it to Feb 2046 as I suspect they'll still fall rather short of 1000.

andicap
11-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Well, Howard Cosell doing a play by play of a Central American coup was too funny for words. And Sly Stallone as a thug on the subway trying to beat up Woody was pretty good too!

Boy this is off-topic - how about What's Up Tiger Lily?

You'll never get that egg salad recipe out of me!!

equicom
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey guys,

Free speech is a wonderful thing, but unfortunately it can sometimes be abused. A good example of this is when people throw heavy criticisms around about others without bothering to get the facts first. We put that "Contact Us" button on the website for a reason, you know, not just because we thought it would look pretty on the page!

For those of you who did take the time to contact us, I am very grateful to you.

Unlike certain other people, I am not using this forum as a vehicle to blatantly advertise my product or to denigrate the work of others. I do feel that it is only fair that I should get a chance to have my say and to answer some of the criticisms. That's democracy in action, right?

Yes, I know I haven't done a five-star job with the text on the home page. We're not some big faceless corporation with a fancy marketing department and a team of sour-faced accountant types in Brooks Brothers suits. We're human - just a small group of your fellow racing enthusiasts who are passionate about our chosen sport.

I'm not going to ramble on for hours and hours with comments because it would be much better if you contact me individually with your questions. I would just like to say briefly:

1. I understand the skepticism - I've been burnt in the past myself!

2. This is totally not a scam (but you expected me to say that, didn't you?) ;)

3. The software is not the only thing you get for your money

4. We're not the cheapest, but we don't want to be. We're also not the most expensive (by a long way).

5. Yes, we are based in Australia, but this is to your advantage, not a disadvantage! If we were a US company, we would have no personal liability to you. Australian law is different and we're totally responsible for our actions, company or not. The only reason we have a company structure is because of the ridiculous taxation in Australia. As a company we only have to pay 30% of our income in taxes and we get to make deductions. As individuals, we'd have to pay close to 50% tax with no deductions. So you have much greater protection, and as it says in the contract, we're registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, which is the highest level of registration available in Australia. If we do the wrong thing, we'll get into trouble, no question about it!

6. Australia is just like America, but without the drive-bys, and with kangaroos.

7. That "pay $10,000,000" doesn't apply to you (or shouldn't). It's there to prevent our competitors from trying to rip us off. Law suits are complicated and difficult (especially international ones) with no gurantee of winning. This way at least we can say "you agreed you'd pay us ten million bucks if you did this". So it only applies to rivals who try to undermine or cheat us, not to ordinary law-abiding citizens.

8. You won't be "locked in" to your track choices. Not only is the subscription optional, but you can modify your selections at any time provided that there are free places available at the track you want to switch to.

Well, that's it. I probably forgot to mention a few things, but if you're still not sure about anything, please get in touch and we'll try to straighten things out.

Finally, thanks to everybody for your comments, even the negative ones, because they all help us to try and do a better job. Just bear in mind for the future that the polite thing to do - the right thing to do - is to ask questions first before deciding to shoot.

Brad

Tom Barrister
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Even though you put a disclaimer after the text I questioned, you still might change it from:

"You can't make money like that unless you're really loaded and can afford to double down on long losing streaks without limit. Even then it will be mighty difficult."

to (using as much of your text as possible):

"You can't make money like that. Even if you're loaded and can afford to double down on long losing streaks without limit, you will eventually be betting so much that you will drive down the mutuel price to where you won't 'get even' on that bet."

Just a thought.

equicom
11-15-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it and I think you are absolutely right! I'm going to change that right now!

Brad :)

Maxspa
11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
All,
I've decided to purchase Bet-Blaster and add the "Thunder From Down Under" to my software arsenal. There are a couple of reasons for my purchase. One I like the sections in the software that give written evaluations of the numbers. Secondly, I've written several emails to Brad Carroll, the software developer, and am impressed with the horse trainer's knowledge and committment to this project. There will be no charges for upgrades. Another important reason is that this program has been successful at Gulfstream Park, one of the toughest venues to handicap profitably.
However, the following excerpt from his web site sealed the deal: "If you start using our software and you find that you are not making a profit, we'll help you track down where you're going wrong and help you make some changes to your approach."
I'll write reviews on my progress with this software and give a one week
selection report some time in 2008.
Maxspa

shanta
11-26-2007, 05:46 PM
All,
I've decided to purchase Bet-Blaster and add the "Thunder From Down Under" to my software arsenal. There are a couple of reasons for my purchase. One I like the sections in the software that give written evaluations of the numbers. Secondly, I've written several emails to Brad Carroll, the software developer, and am impressed with the horse trainer's knowledge and committment to this project. There will be no charges for upgrades. Another important reason is that this program has been successful at Gulfstream Park, one of the toughest venues to handicap profitably.
However, the following excerpt from his web site sealed the deal: "If you start using our software and you find that you are not making a profit, we'll help you track down where you're going wrong and help you make some changes to your approach."
I'll write reviews on my progress with this software and give a one week
selection report some time in 2008.
Maxspa

Data is cheap enough and price of "membership" is not ridiculous. Best of luck Max!

banacek
11-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, I hope it works out. Just don't pick Kamloops as one of your tracks!

Track Collector
11-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Tom,

I've heard of all those bush tracks, but I've only been to Lethbridge so far. The other ones will be future visits if they are still running!

I'm surprised you missed Melville Agripar, which is somewhat "near" Yorkton. They raced on a Sat-Sun summer weekend in 2007 with 5-6 races each day. From the charts, I recall the handle was about 300 CAD per race. :)

Chris

banacek
11-26-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm surprised you missed Melville Agripar, which is somewhat "near" Yorkton.

I've been there. Was in Weyburn for the races during the fair in 1969 too!

Track Collector
11-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Kin and SnD (Sunflower Downs) look real interesting. Check out the McChump Racing Tour website and check under the year-2007 tour for some nice photos of these two meets.

Have you ever visited any of the fairs in Arizona, Washington, or Oregon state? I've enjoyed a number of these!

banacek
11-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Kin and SnD (Sunflower Downs) look real interesting. Check out the McChump Racing Tour website and check under the year-2007 tour for some nice photos of these two meets.

Have you ever visited any of the fairs in Arizona, Washington, or Oregon state? I've enjoyed a number of these!

I've been to Kin, but not Sunflower - I think they only run 1 day a year. And I haven't been to any of the AZ,WA,OR fairs. I'll have to do a tour one day!

equicom
11-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Well, I hope it works out. Just don't pick Kamloops as one of your tracks!

Yes, I know this is a source of much hilarity, but seriously guys, some people do live near Kamloops (believe it or not... they haven't all frozen to death yet!) and those minor tracks are included for the benefit of those who would like a local track included in the package. It may not necessarily be available if there is no demand for it, but at least the choice is there. This lets me know what people want, so we can plan effectively.

The Judge
11-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I think this guy has hit on something especially in the way the program looks I mean the 1/2 full "glasses" is pure genius . At a glance you can tell what the numbers are telling you "without " the numbers. This alone may be worth the price which to me seems reasonable and the download price is a gift.

I have no idea if you can make money and nothing said shows how are why you should be able to make money, but it has the right screens so it can't be all bad at it will give you a horse to bet. Actually thats may be a problem as I assume if you bet the horse that the program gives you you will loose money. If you didn't loose money then you have a "black Box" that works we not there yet. Come ooon Pizzola!

banacek
11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Yes, I know this is a source of much hilarity, but seriously guys, some people do live near Kamloops.

Like me.....

Maxspa
12-07-2007, 10:53 PM
All,
I haven't received the Bet Blaster yet, but I was fortunate to have a person who requested the Hollywood Park selection page for today, share that information with me.
The selection page is unlike any other I've seen. It will give a selection for each race but it grades those selections in a couple of different ways. It will advise you whether betting on this race is forced or not. It provides a wagering plan that best fits the situation. Finally it will give you a rating High or low or very low whether the selection will win or not. Today had one race in the High category and it won. I share this with you not because the selection won but to give interested handicappers some information not shown on the Bet Blaster web site.
Finally, I can't say enough about the willingness of the developer to share information and to be receptive to questions of any kind. what a breath of fresh air!
Maxspa