PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is an eating disorder in reguards to jockeys?

kyle2227
11-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Hey all. Soon I will be starting my: "path to become a jockey diet" and I was just wondering what exactly an eating disorder is and what exactly it is in reguards to jockeys. I want to do things the right way and not fall into an eating disorder but I'm not exactly sure I understand 100% what exactly an eating disorder is. I have some ideas of what it is but I am was wondering if you guys could give me your definitions of it especially in reguards to jocks. I'm guessing the stories I have heard before of jockeys who used to eat say for example one piece of toast and thats all they would eat all day is an example of an eating disorder. I also heard a story about two top jocks and all they dud was sip beef broth all day and then they would take pills so they would urinate it all out and not gain any weight is an example as well but I am not sure. Thanks guys for the info.

alysheba88
11-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Dont mean this the way it will inevitably sound but dont think a horse forum is best place to get info about eating disorders even ones involving "jockeys".

If you have access to a copy of Seabiscuit the author does a very good job about talking about the sweatbox, flipping, dehydration, etc.

It is unclear if you actually want to be a jockey, cant really follow your first sentence. If so would go to your local track and talk with a few of them

njcurveball
11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Hey all. Soon I will be starting my: "path to become a jockey diet" .

I think you really should ask yourself just how many pounds overweight you are at this point. If you are 132 pounds (I do not know your weight) and you have 5% body fat, then this move is definitely going to impact your health.

The job is not all "pomp and circumstance", but you need to see that for yourself.

Find a track that is running and get up early and go to the track cafeteria in the mornings. Be polite and pretty soon you will make a friend or two there. I am not talking "freshman" polite. Just get your face familiar and ask to sit and eat at someones table, etc.

If you are smart, you will find a workout rider or two and they will tell you what their life is like. You could get instruction and then work a horse or two in the mornings.

It would be rare at your age with no contacts to just jump in and start riding in races. As a workout rider, you would gain the experience you need to see if losing the extra weight is worth it.

You also will learn a lot from talking to the people on the backstretch. You have to make a time commitment to be there EVERY morning. Some will start to recognize you and if you don't ask stupid questions you will get quite an education just by listening to those guys.

Much more than we could tell you here.

Good luck to you!
Jim

HUSKER55
11-07-2007, 09:39 AM
I have had barriatric bypass surgury and I will tell you that the broth they are sipping is not beef broth. You would serve yourself well by consulting a sports dietician or call the Jockey Association and see which doctor they use in your area. BTW waterpills by themselves won't do the trick because they lower blood pressure. You really should have a good MD diagnostician in your corner.Hope this helps :)

betovernetcapper
11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
This is a great article on jockey's weight struggle

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/04/25/spt_sptrac1a.html

46zilzal
11-07-2007, 12:29 PM
One of the assistant starters was a top ten rider in the Pacific Northwest for many years. He is a lean, almost skinny, 140 pounds and he had to ride at 117 to get any live mounts.

He admits to starving himself and doing crazy dehydration schemes to get the weight off. If you don't have a very small frame ("kid's hands" as he states) think about another profession. We saw many a rider over the last season simply fall off horses as they were too weak to stay in the saddle from purging and dehydration. NOT particularly healthy, particularly the flipping as it destroys teeth.

The best of the best in controlling food intake (in recent years) was Laffit. There is that story about his ordering a single peanut while flying to a race course back east, eating HALF of it and sending the rest back just to test his will power. If you don't have will power in that range, think about another profession. Actually, at one point, Laffit's red and white cell counts were so depressed from his bad diet that he had to take a few months off until he was able to meet with a nutritionist who worked with him to set out a new diet.

Ron
11-07-2007, 12:35 PM
The best of the best in controlling food intake (in recent years) was Laffit. There is that story about his ordering a single peanut while flying to a race course back east, eating HALF of it and sending the rest back just to test his will power.

The story was something like that...

But there are no guaranteed contracts in this sport, and the only way for Pincay to find work is to starve. Trainer D. Wayne Lukas, who shared a coast-to coast airplane ride with Pincay, tells how the jockey skipped the meals. Pincay opened a bag of peanuts, broke one in half. He ate the first half of the peanut early in the flight and saved the other half for the landing. While Pincay lusts for a big juicy steak, he subsists instead on 850 calories a day.

Here's the whole 1999 article from Sports Illustrated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/thenetwork/news/1999/12/09/pageone_pincay/

kyle2227
11-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys I guess I will see if I can find a nutritionist in my area who may be able to help me.

Shenanigans
11-07-2007, 05:40 PM
If you're not galloping at the track yet you need to get on a farm and learn to break babies. If you can handle hitting the ground a few times then you might be able to make it as a jockey.
DO NOT go to the track to learn to ride. There is no such thing as a "workout" rider.:rolleyes: NO smart trainer is going to allow a green exercise rider to work their horses and most smart trainers won't allow a green exercise rider to gallop their horses. If you go to the track to learn to ride, you will only get yourself hurt because there will always be that stupid trainer that can't find anyone else to get on his screwball horses and doesn't care who gets on them just as long as they get to the track. Find a good farm to learn to ride at and usually they will point you in the right direction in getting a job at the track.
Remember that you will gain muscle from getting in shape for galloping. Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are tall (5'2'' and up), already above apprentice weight (103-109) you are looking to have to struggle with your weight. Definitely get with a nutritionist now and find out what your body can handle.
Give yourself realistic goals. If you are not capable of keeping the size of a jockey without the flipping, starving and sweating it's NOT worth it. I personally know too many riders that everytime they come off a horse they break a bone because of the lack of nutrition in their system. There are numerous stories of jockeys with heart and kidney trouble years after they are retired. If you are too big to be a jockey, it doesn't mean you can't be an exercise rider. It can be just as rewarding (in regards to riding some good horses).

CryingForTheHorses
11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey all. Soon I will be starting my: "path to become a jockey diet" and I was just wondering what exactly an eating disorder is and what exactly it is in reguards to jockeys. I want to do things the right way and not fall into an eating disorder but I'm not exactly sure I understand 100% what exactly an eating disorder is. I have some ideas of what it is but I am was wondering if you guys could give me your definitions of it especially in reguards to jocks. I'm guessing the stories I have heard before of jockeys who used to eat say for example one piece of toast and thats all they would eat all day is an example of an eating disorder. I also heard a story about two top jocks and all they dud was sip beef broth all day and then they would take pills so they would urinate it all out and not gain any weight is an example as well but I am not sure. Thanks guys for the info.

The best thing for you to do is is just watch what you eat..My friend IF you are having a problem NOW with your weight,I suggest you look to become a trainer.Living a life of heaving and not being able to eat will only depress you more and more as time goes by. Also remember JUST because you get a jocky's licence doesnt mean you will become Shoemaker..I see guys walking around for weeks galloping horses for nothing just to ride!!!..I have told you before Kyle that you need to know how to read a horse before you ride them...IF you go out to the track and a horses dont go well for you in the morning,Then people will see that you arent ready...Word will get around.Be patence Kyle,Some guys have been around 20,Dont rush things and look foolsh!!!

Shenanigans
11-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey Kyle have you checked with the jockey school that Chris McCarron runs at the Ky Horse Park? That might be a good start for you.

kyle2227
11-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I'm not having any problems with my weight yet didn't even start my diet yet was just looking to become educated in some things I was not 100% sure about. I will keep you guys posted on how things are going.

Tom Barrister
11-08-2007, 05:16 AM
If you're over 100 lbs normal everyday weight (and 95 lbs is better), don't bother becoming a thoroughbred jockey, unless you're already very athletic (muscled). You'll probably add another 8-10 lbs of muscle when you get into working shape,and you need to be no more than 110 lbs. (105 is better) to start your bug and get the full ten lb. allowance for some races. Also, you'll more than likely gain weight naturally as you get older.

In any case, consult with a nutritionist and a physician. And as noted, you'll want to start on a farm or jockey school before trying the actual racetracks.

If you can't make weight and don't want to be a trainer, a possible option is to be a quarterhorse jockey. They don't have to meet quite as stringent weight specs.

jotb
11-08-2007, 02:09 PM

Hello Kyle:

I read some of your previous posts about collecting on races with big show mutuals and all that free money you won on the internet so maybe you don't have a weight problem after all. Just empty your pockets and your problem might be solved.

Jotb