PDA

View Full Version : Rummy hollers from the political grave

46zilzal
11-05-2007, 03:45 PM
From the Desk of Donald Rumsfeld . . .

In Sometimes-Brusque 'Snowflakes,' He Shared Worldview, Shaped Policy

By Robin Wright / Washington Post

In a series of internal musings and memos to his staff, then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld argued that Muslims avoid "physical labor" and wrote of the need to "keep elevating the threat," "link Iraq to Iran" and develop "bumper sticker statements" to rally public support for an increasingly unpopular war.

The memos, often referred to as "snowflakes," shed light on Rumsfeld's brusque management style and on his efforts to address key challenges during his tenure as Pentagon chief. Spanning from 2002 to shortly after his resignation following the 2006 congressional elections, a sampling of his trademark missives obtained yesterday reveals a defense secretary disdainful of media criticism and driven to reshape public opinion of the Iraq war.
Under siege in April 2006, when a series of retired generals denounced him and called for his resignation in newspaper op-ed pieces, Rumsfeld produced a memo after a conference call with military analysts. "Talk about Somalia, the Philippines, etc. Make the American people realize they are surrounded in the world by violent extremists," he wrote.

People will "rally" to sacrifice, he noted after the meeting. "They are looking for leadership. Sacrifice = Victory."

Tom
11-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Two buddist monks were traveling one day when they came upon a woman at the bank of a river. She was afraid to walk across the swirling waters, even though it was shallow.

One of the monks picked her up and carried her safely across.

The two monks continued on thier way. About an hour later, the second monk spoke up.

"You violated our order by picking up that woman back there." he said.

The first monk looked at him and replied, "Are you still carrying her? I put her down before we left the river."

bigmack
11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
The psychiatrist asks the Zen Master, "How do you deal with neurotics?" The Zen Master replies, "I get them to the point where they can't ask anymore questions".

skate
11-05-2007, 04:34 PM
good one Tomanother Victory.

skate
11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
The psychiatrist asks the Zen Master, "How do you deal with neurotics?" The Zen Master replies, "I get them to the point where they can't ask anymore questions".

is that what the Meter is used for?

46zilzal
11-05-2007, 04:40 PM
http://zfacts.com/p/357.html

hcap
11-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Tom-- Zen and the art of Idiocy.

Gee Tom such wisdom. I'm sure if you really studied that story with a Zen teacher, you would not bring up that story in this context. You would be whacked across the side of your head. What you did is not Zen. In fact it is resorting to a variation of "God on our side". And you were stupid enough to use the exalted position of an artificial Zen Master. Boy, what a misreading.

I wish you would remember that story when you are carrying all that water for bush and cheney. Or call for nuking civilians.You and other gentlemen here carry around a collection of myths, that is much worse than a literal interpretation of a Monks' rules of order. In fact the sanctimonious Monk is exactly the role you are playing by the misuse of that story.

Wrong story to quote. Try the Emperors New Clothes instead.

Here's another for you....

"Vice President Dick Cheney is trying to persuade Dick Armey, the Republican House majority leader, who was skeptical about a war on Iraq, in a private meeting in September 2002: “We have great information. They’re going to welcome us. It’ll be like the American Army going through the streets of Paris. They’re sitting there ready to form a new government. The people will be so happy with their freedoms that we’ll probably back ourselves out of there within a month or two.”

From DEAD CERTAIN
The Presidency of George W. Bush.
By Robert Draper.

.................................................. ..........................

BTW, this story is closer to your understanding of Zen.

One day there was an earthquake that shook the entire Zen temple. Parts of it even collapsed. Many of the monks were terrified. When the earthquake stopped the teacher said, "Now you have had the opportunity to see how a Zen man behaves in a crisis situation. You may have noticed that I did not panic. I was quite aware of what was happening and what to do. I led you all to the kitchen, the strongest part of the temple. It was a good decision, because you see we have all survived without any injuries. However, despite my self-control and composure, I did feel a little bit tense - which you may have deduced from the fact that I drank a large glass of water, something I never do under ordinary circumstances."

One of the monks smiled, but didn't say anything.

"What are you laughing at?" asked the teacher.

"That wasn't water," the monk replied, "it was a large glass of soy sauce."

hcap
11-05-2007, 06:07 PM
With apologies to Zen

Two neocon monks were traveling one day when they came upon a village idiot at the bank of a river. He was afraid to walk across the swirling waters, even though it was shallow.

One of the neocons picked him up and carried him safely across.

The two neocons continued on their way. About an hour later, the second neocon spoke up.

"Hey Rummy, do ya think we can convince him to invade Iraq?"
"Sure Dick", but first let's make believe he carried us"

DJofSD
11-05-2007, 06:12 PM
is that what the Meter is used for?

No, he's counting up the nine billion names of God.

GaryG
11-05-2007, 06:27 PM
The psychiatrist asks the Zen Master, "How do you deal with neurotics?" The Zen Master replies, "I get them to the point where they can't ask anymore questions".That Meher Baba bullshit spelled the end of Pete Townshend's career as a writer. I'm talkin bout my generation doncha know.

46zilzal
11-05-2007, 08:20 PM
more from the Washington Post:In all, 72 percent of those surveyed in a USA Today/Gallup Poll taken Oct. 12-14 say they are dissatisfied with how things are going in the USA, while just 26 percent are satisfied. Not since April have even a third of Americans been happy with the country's course, the paper reports, making the last 6 months the "longest national funk in 15 years."

The last time things were so gloomy was in 1992, when the first President Bush was ousted from the White House and H. Ross Perot got the highest percentage of the vote of any third-party candidate in 80 years. Bill Clinton was elected amidst economic angst.

So this time, things are just as bad, it seems, except we have the added downer of feeling like we've been here before: economic angst, an unpopular Bush in the White House, and a Clinton gunning to replace him.

kenwoodallpromos
11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
"Make the American people ****realize**** they are surrounded in the world by violent extremists," he wrote."

46zilzal
11-05-2007, 08:23 PM
"Make the American people ****realize**** they are surrounded in the world by violent extremists," he wrote."
Only problem was his other comment "There are no good targets in Afghanistan." Hence the fact that the "bad guys" are still alive and well there.

Tom
11-05-2007, 09:34 PM
This prophetically appears on PA this afternoon.......

46zilzal
11-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Taking things out of context can make them mean anything one wants.