PDA

View Full Version : When did Oprah become a Head-of-State?

ArlJim78
11-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Okay so she has this issue of sex abuse at her school in South Africa, a story I haven't been following, but am familar with reading news headlines.

So this morning she holds a news conference with a presidential format whereby she makes a statement then fields questions from an array of reporters. This news conference is carried live, uninterrupted by commercials, by every single cable news channel! I'm not sure they do the same for the president anymore.

She has her own popular TV show, couldn't she have made her statement there?
Was the public demanding to hear from her this morning?

I watch about 15 minutes of these news channels in the morning before work (actually that's about as much as I can stand anyway), and this morning couldn't get away from Oprah!

harnesslover
11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I am not sure who makes me sicker, her or Tyra Banks.

Banks has somehow become the next generation of the "I am down with you, sister" angle..

shanta
11-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Without question the most powerful woman in the world. Will lose that title after Hillary wins to become President.

harnesslover
11-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Without question the most powerful woman in the world. Will lose that title after Hillary wins to become President.

I don't know Richie, Christina Fernandez winning the Argentinian election might put her close.

And I hate to break it to you, Hillary aint' winning :-)

jognlope
11-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Not crazy about her because of her demaner, so guarded. She made real sadistic fun of a woman on her show for signing a letter Your friend, as if the woman had the nerve to consder Oprah her friend. She is a good interviewer, has kind of a boorish personality. I dont like when she says we have to read certain books. She has been a good anchor for woman who want it.

Where is Fran Leibowitz when I need her?

46zilzal
11-05-2007, 03:22 PM
So don't listen. Your annoyance is doing the harm to your "anger" not her announcements.

bigmack
11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
I am not sure who makes me sicker, her or Tyra Banks.

I'll have you know that without her involvement the world would never know about the BIGGEST BEAUTY SECRET EVER. Let's get fired-up :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOR4qekHWlA

What would be the male equivalent: Brylcreem?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcRIbExrfg

skate
11-05-2007, 03:53 PM
jim78;

im about the same as you when it comes to the news.

but i must hand it to Oprey (?). ive never ever seen her show, cept for 5/6min here there. just not my cup of tea.

whatever, i got to hand it to her for putting out some effort to help those people in Africa.

somebody down there in the schools that she started goofs up big time. i find no fault in Winfrey trying to "right the issue".

harnesslover
11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
jim78;

but i must hand it to Oprey (?). ive never ever seen her show, cept for 5/6min here there. just not my cup of tea.

whatever, i got to hand it to her for putting out some effort to help those people in Africa.

somebody down there in the schools that she started goofs up big time. i find no fault in Winfrey trying to "right the issue".

For what its worth, there are a lot of schools/kids that need serious help here, in the United States.

I give kudos for the effort to help kids, I really do. But I never understand why these famous people have to go out of the country to help.. My jaded opinion is that it brings more publibity that way.

JustRalph
11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
For what its worth, there are a lot of schools/kids that need serious help here, in the United States.

I give kudos for the effort to help kids, I really do. But I never understand why these famous people have to go out of the country to help.. My jaded opinion is that it brings more publibity that way.

bingo!

skate
11-05-2007, 05:25 PM

ok , but the school kids here are already getting more help than they can handle.

as for her wanting "Publicity" i dont think this to be the case in Winfrey's decision. but...

my findings here says she should get proper acclaim.

ArlJim78
11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
jim78;

i'm not faulting her at all for the effort to help kids, and do admire people trying to do good for others and putting up their own money to do so.

But come on, couldn't she have done it a little more quietly? did she have to take over the airwaves to explain it? how about a press release, or like I said, devote one of her shows to it. it just seemed a little over the top, like "crisis in the market, and Pakistan is crumbling, but first we take you live to Oprahs press conference".

skate
11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
the-skate says "go where the help is appreciated".:jump:

chrismc
11-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Amen Harnesslover!

The country (United States) that made celebrities rich and influential enough to adopt and care for children doesn't get a shot...???

I'm sure there are children in the US that would like a mom and dad.

You know what...there are hundreds of children that get adopted here...where are the kudos for those parents.

Oprah starts a school in Africa (does it need one...sure does) but isn't the adage "Charity begins at Home"...perhaps then these orphans or underpriveledged kids grow up and decide to do the same...exponentially, there could be a greater sharing...

Just my mid day musings...

skate
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
i'm not faulting her at all for the effort to help kids, and do admire people trying to do good for others and putting up their own money to do so.

But come on, couldn't she have done it a little more quietly? did she have to take over the airwaves to explain it? how about a press release, or like I said, devote one of her shows to it. it just seemed a little over the top, like "crisis in the market, and Pakistan is crumbling, but first we take you live to Oprahs press conference".

ok ok, i wasnt aware of the big move on her part. i just do not relate to the TV, but i can never downbeat someone that trys to help another. even for points. i say amass ye points.

now over here (usa) we have enough points ($) already and we'll decay with anymore " easy streets".

Lefty
11-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm no big fan of Oprah and her politics but at least she puts her own money where her mouth is and I commend her for it. BTW, listen up, get this, "It's HER money and she can spend it anyway she wants and where she wants.

harnesslover
11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
"It's HER money and she can spend it anyway she wants and where she wants.

You're right, but we dont have to commend her at all for going outside of a country that has tons of poor families and kids. The very country that has allowed her to become rich!

GaryG
11-07-2007, 08:30 AM
You're right, but we dont have to commend her at all for going outside of a country that has tons of poor families and kids. The very country that has allowed her to become rich!More satisfying to spend it in Africa I guess...