PDA

View Full Version : buying into a partnership

krem0922
11-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Has any one ever bought into a parnership? I'm looking for information on what to do and if anyone knows any good stables that do partnerships. I have been in contact with a couple of stables but I would like to know about peoples experience with this. This is for a gift for my husband for Christmas who is a huge fan of racing. If anyone can give me some insight on this I would really appreciate it. If I ask him it would send up red flags and I don't want to ruin it for him
thank you

northerndancer
11-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I have and still do start and manage racing syndicates and partnerships.

I have also been involved in a racing partnership as a passive member which is why I will only participate in a racing endeavor that I administer.

Be extremely careful and do not believe the hype. The problem you face as an individual investor in a partnership is that you do not have any control or say as to the expense side of the entity. Your horse may win stakes races and you still end up with no return on investment.

You will also want to know how you can end your particitpation and if you chose to do so what do you get for your initial investment. Are you going to be a hostage to the entity (you can not get out until the horse or horses are sold).

That being said if you would like you can contact me with any questions concerning the development of your knowledge base. Just private message me your questions or concerns and I will respond accordingly.

This is a great game but please go into it with the thought that whatever amount you put in you will never see it again that way you will not be disappointed. I did that 12 years ago and turned one horse into a stable of 40.

onefast99
11-05-2007, 11:29 AM
We have been a family owned and operated stable for 5 successful years, talk to a local trainer at your track about buying a lower level claimer by yourself and experience the thrill of racing with no one else running the show except you and your husband! You will enjoy it more.:cool:

JustRalph
11-05-2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Steve Byk has Dee Tee stables............

there are some members on this board who seem very happy with it.

TonyK@HSH
11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
First I'd recommend focusing on partnershps at your local track, so your husband can enjoy the experience on a first hand basis. Also, be very aware of the 'managament' fees charged by some partnerships. Last thing you want your investment to cover is dinner for the managing partner every time your horse runs. If you'd care to share you home track I can most likely give you the names of a few partnerships.

Good luck

Tony K

Hajck Hillstrom
11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Has any one ever bought into a parnership? I'm looking for information on what to do and if anyone knows any good stables that do partnerships. 1. What are your local tracks?
2. How much are you willing to invest?
3. Does your husband have friends that might want to invest?

I have a horse in partnership with 3 others, including the trainer.

There are many large syndicates with national interests, but the investment might be significant with a small ownership percentage.

onefast99
11-06-2007, 07:53 AM
1. What are your local tracks?
2. How much are you willing to invest?
3. Does your husband have friends that might want to invest?

I have a horse in partnership with 3 others, including the trainer.

There are many large syndicates with national interests, but the investment might be significant with a small ownership percentage.
That is a good way to do a partnership, with the trainer who then is really involved financially except for the day rate and will want to win even more. Good luck to you on your venture.

jognlope
11-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Karakorum does not answer requests for information so I dont know why they came on at the Spa and made such a big deal about joining. Theyre doing great, K. Sunshine just won, a couple before that just in the last month. Ill try em again.

advancedcapper
11-06-2007, 10:34 AM
ry Fantasy Lane Stables, which operats out of Monmouth Park and Philly. I've had no problem with them. Their runners have all be more than profitable andntyey play for the person who wants to "just start out".

No, I do not work for them, but own a piece of a horse with them and am very satisfied.

ac http://www.fantasylanestable.com/main.htm

krem0922
11-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the answer. Your stable has come up in almost every search I have done. If you don't mind could you answer a few questions for me? Is the pay off enough to make up for your intial investment?
Do you have monthly fees? some stables do and some don't
Do you really get all the perks that they say? (getting into track, watch warm ups etc)
If your intial investment was big, would you do it all again today if you could?
You see I don't have a lot of money but we would like to get our foot in the door and I am looking for all the advice I can get and you are the first person I have had contact with that has a partnership. Any advice would be wonderful!!!
Thank you
Karrie

Ron
11-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I would recommend that if you don't have a lot of money and you are looking at this as an investment opportunity then it is not for you. I've been involved in a partnership with 5 horses and only made money on one. Our latest venture is a two year old Empire Maker filly and the latest news is that she may never make it to the track!

If you are looking to have some fun and spend money on entertainment then go ahead and invest in a partnership. It is quite a thrill to see your horse race and especially more exciting if you are at the track!

Kelso
11-06-2007, 11:50 PM
That is a good way to do a partnership, with the trainer who then is really involved financially except for the day rate

Hajck,
Does your trainer-partner get his normal day rate, or a reduced rate, or no rate? If a reduced or zero rate, did he buy in at a discount?

I've seen several partnerships initiated/advertised by trainers in which it was clear that they would retain a share, be paid for training services (not clear if reduced rate) AND make ALL racing decisions. These arrangements have seemed, to me, to be little more than free annuities for the trainer-managers.

Thank you.

onefast99
11-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Hajck,
Does your trainer-partner get his normal day rate, or a reduced rate, or no rate? If a reduced or zero rate, did he buy in at a discount?

I've seen several partnerships initiated/advertised by trainers in which it was clear that they would retain a share, be paid for training services (not clear if reduced rate) AND make ALL racing decisions. These arrangements have seemed, to me, to be little more than free annuities for the trainer-managers.

Thank you.
Agree 100% I just got out of one of those arrangements, I wanted to switch the horse to another trainer. I just decided to let him buy me out. I also wanted to know what is the break-even point for a trainer on a day rate? If I am charged $75 per day how much of that is profit to the trainer?

advancedcapper
11-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Our trainer and the guy running the show get a piece of the horse and pay up front for 18 months, at which time we start paying on a monthly basis. Our horse cost $40,000 at the sale and we paid WAY more than that as a whole for the expences, etc. BUt then again, did I want to invest $70,000 on my own for the same deal and own the whole horse. In this case it would have been a good deal, as I am sure it will work out fine, but in the long run, the partnerships are good.

ac

Scav
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Steve Byk has Dee Tee stables............

there are some members on this board who seem very happy with it.

To going into detail about Dee Tee Stables

1) 1 upfront cost, no fees-no bills
2) Right now, we have four horses with a NY bred on the way. Gary Sciacca will train the NY bred, Chuck Simon is the trainer of Sumwonlovesyou, recently claimed Kickin N Screamin, and two yearlings, by Aldebaran and Came Home
3) Have run at Churchill (2), Arlington and Saratoga (2)

Let me know if you have any other questions

advancedcapper
11-07-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm sure there are many others. I looked into this one too but decided on the one that raced near my home in Monmouth and Philly. I've heard horror stories of money invested and no return or even no horse making it to the races. i took a shot on an unraced two year old and am very happy.

Karakoum stables is a partnership, I believe and they do extremely well. Very expensive though.

ac

overunder
11-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Karakoum stables is a partnership, I believe and they do extremely well. Very expensive though.

ac

In other words, advancedcapper, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Don't speculate at the expense of Karakorum.

onefast99
11-07-2007, 11:08 AM
In other words, advancedcapper, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Don't speculate at the expense of Karakorum.
What exactly is karakorum? I alwys see their horses in NY and NJ especially Belmont are they a syndicate? They do have some pretty solid horses and you cant mistake the names.

Hajck Hillstrom
11-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Hajck,
Does your trainer-partner get his normal day rate, or a reduced rate, or no rate? If a reduced or zero rate, did he buy in at a discount?All fees are totalled and then divided by 4. We each get an itemized invoice of all fees every month.

Our trainer is the venerable George Mcivor, an 86 year old hard boot whose character is beyond reproach.

My first foray into the ownership game was a good one, albeit not as profitable as one would have hoped. I would have come out in the black, but failed to bet on our horse in the lone race he won. After a few attempts at breaking his maiden, I looked at my partners in the paddock and said "I think the only way APACHE JOE gets to the Winner's Circle is if I don't bet on him." As I approached my partners in the Winner's Circle they thanked me for taking one for the team.

One of the 4 partners showed a profit on our horse over the course of the season. It always comes down to money management.

onefast99
11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you would of rather had the picture!

Ron
11-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I've not had problems trading emails and phone calls with Karakorum.

http://www.karakorum.com/

Hajck Hillstrom
11-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Sounds like you would of rather had the picture!Always nice to flee the maiden ranks.

turfnsport
11-07-2007, 01:45 PM
If you are in the Mid Atlantic area I would recommend the Hampshire Racing Partnership. Races mostly in MD and WV. MD trainer is Dale Capuano. Mostly low level claimers, did win a Claiming Crown race with Landler.

When I lived in MD I was a partner for about six years. Good people, many I still keep in touch with after moving to Florida.

The general partner Malcolm Barr wrote a book called: 1,000 to 1!: Claiming, Breeding and Racing Thoroughbreds on a Shoestring-and Beating the Odds. It's on Amazon.

You won't get rich, and you buy shares and there is no monthly fee. A great way to get your feet wet at a small cost. Shares I think are $3K to $5K range.

You can PM me and I can get you in touch.

MikeD

onefast99
11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Always nice to flee the maiden ranks.
had one of those 0-14 the 15th was the lucky charm ran 2nd 9 times! She is a mommy now no more racing.

FlyinLate
11-07-2007, 08:39 PM
We have been a family owned and operated stable for 5 successful years, talk to a local trainer at your track about buying a lower level claimer by yourself and experience the thrill of racing with no one else running the show except you and your husband! You will enjoy it more.:cool:

I agree with this 100%. Start at a local track and you and your husband purchase a small 5k/10k claimer horse. See how you like it, enjoy it, and move on from there. If you really enjoy it, talk to relatives/close friends and invest in more and/or better horses. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kelso
11-08-2007, 01:14 AM
All fees are totalled and then divided by 4. We each get an itemized invoice of all fees every month.

So, does Mr. McIvor get his normal day rate? Was his buy-in at the same price as the other 3? (If I'm gettin' too nosey here, please just say so. Understandable.)

Thank you.

DerbyTrail
11-08-2007, 12:23 PM
To going into detail about Dee Tee Stables

1) 1 upfront cost, no fees-no bills
2) Right now, we have four horses with a NY bred on the way. Gary Sciacca will train the NY bred, Chuck Simon is the trainer of Sumwonlovesyou, recently claimed Kickin N Screamin, and two yearlings, by Aldebaran and Came Home
3) Have run at Churchill (2), Arlington and Saratoga (2)

Let me know if you have any other questions
Thx Scavs..

What we've done with Dee Tee Stables is created a social group rather than an investment opportunity. Buy-ins of $500 (recent claimee Kickin N Screamin) or $1,500 (2 KEE yearling purchases of $50k and $12k packaged together)... No other expenses as Chuck Simon handles the day rate. We got very lucky with the first pass at it with Sumwonlovesyou, as she took us to KEE, CD, AP and SAR this year, and everybody involved had tremendous fun attending her starts as owners..

As Scavs mentioned, we are going to do a NY Bred as well, and are about to buy a broodmare during the current KEE sale for a breeding partnership. We're trying to give race fans who've always wanted to be in the game the opportunity at the absolute minimum financial risk, and it seems like we've hit on a good formula. More than 100 people are partners in Dee Tee in less than a year..

Sumwonlovesyou at Churchill..
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o122/kasept/53933554312_0_ALB.jpg