PDA

View Full Version : Enron the smartest? guys in the room

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 02:31 PM
This is a must see film. Makes one stop and think about some of the reasons the public continually gets ripped off in the stock market while these clowns continue to get away with things. Market went down 200 today? more of these guys lurking out there??

Of course there are but then there are laws for the rich and laws for the rest of us.

harnesslover
11-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Do you wake up on a sunny crisp morning and cuss the sun out?

You have got to be the most miserable, negative, whiny individual I have ever encountered in my life. All you do is bitch about the political injustices, the social injustices, now the financial injustices that America offers.

There's a solution, go somewhere where you'd be happy. Anywhere.. Just make sure they don't have internet access.

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Finding the truth really upsets those who buy into the rhetoric and never question.......

I think they are referred to as SHEEP

Sort of reminds you of the woman who finds her husband in their bed with another woman then she believes him in saying: "Are you going to believe me or your own eyes?"
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/01/eveningnews/main620626.shtml

harnesslover
11-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Finding the truth really upsets those who buy into the rhetoric and never question.......

I think they are referred to as SHEEP

Sort of reminds you of the woman who finds her husband in their bed with another woman then she believes him in saying: "Are you going to believe me or your own eyes!"

Someday you will realize (well probably not) that YOUR truth is FAR from reality.

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Someday you will realize (well probably not) that YOUR truth is FAR from reality.
Yes Enron did not collapse and all the crooks who stole millions are sweet little Republicans.

There are a ton of individuals here who make up their reality as it goes along.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1972574.stm

hcap
11-01-2007, 03:10 PM
harnesslover:

All you do is bitch about the political injustices, the social injustices, now the financial injustices that America offers.You must be a true believer as in Voltaire's Candide -"This is the best of all possible worlds" optimism

Those that may appear paranoid, may actually see the injustices perpetrated by those that made up the "best of all possible world scenario" in the first place.

For them it is true :jump:

Tom
11-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Wasn't Enron prosecuted on BUSH'S watch, not Clinton's?

Here's a thought....Hillary has already announced she plans to steal $10 billion dollars from profitable companies.
What happens when some of those oil companies decide it is not worth the hassle and start shutting down refineries and importing less oil? And the evil pharms stop developing new drugs? And those people who the Hillster calls rich decide to stop putting in 18 hour days and weekends and their companies start laying off? I never saw poor people create jobs or hire people, or develop anything. May instead of rewarding their failure we should penalize them and cut off the freebies to stimulate them into performance.

harnesslover
11-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes Enron did not collapse and all the crooks who stole millions are sweet little Republicans.

Oh you mean the $2 million donation to the Democratic National Committee when Clinton was in office?

Or the $2 billion of tax payer money that was loaned by Billy C to Enron for deals?

Wow, I thought Bill was a Democrat.. Good to know

harnesslover
11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
You must be a true believer as in Voltaire's Candide -"This is the best of all possible worlds" optimism

Those that may appear paranoid, may actually see the injustices perpetrated by those that made up the "best of all possible world scenario" in the first place.

For them it is true :jump:

Those who appear paranoid are generally idiots. I see 2 examples in this thread alone.

Its amazing you dems keep with the notion of extremes.. Its always the sky is falling.. Instead of the rational thinker who says "This is a great country and I love living here, however there are some things that need to change and/or improve"

I think if I woke up every day and whined like a bitch like 46zilzal did, I would blow my brains out (oh wait, he hates guns), I would smash my head in with a tree stump (while being careful not to harm the tree)

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 03:40 PM
T

I think if I woke up every day and whined like a bitch like 46zilzal did, I would blow my brains out (oh wait, he hates guns), I would smash my head in with a tree stump (while being careful not to harm the tree)
I suggest a dose of Effexor quickly. Only people I know like that are on 4 South in the many padded rooms there.

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Now down -333 and falling??

delayjf
11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Of course there are but then there are laws for the rich and laws for the rest of us.
So when my ExxonMoble stocks drops in price – the CEO’s goes up???

Here’s another good movie “The pursuit of Happiness” - True story about a black man (Chris Gartner) who worked himself up from the bottom, as a stockbroker. At one point he’s living in a public bathroom with his young son.

harnesslover
11-01-2007, 04:08 PM

Here’s another good movie “The pursuit of Happiness” - True story about a black man (Chris Gartner) who worked himself up from the bottom, as a stockbroker. At one point he’s living in a public bathroom with his young son.

Zilzal probably hates that movie because there is happiness and success in there.

Don't you know America keeps the man down? :-)

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 04:08 PM
let's see here according to the internet movie database that current situation took place: "In 1981, Chris Gardner was a struggling salesman in little needed medical bone density scanners "

A good show by the way, but hardly current.

chickenhead
11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
I thought POH was an incredibly lame movie. Speaking of which, steer clear of "We Own the Night". Horrendous.

I've always been fascinated by the Enron story tho...I think there was a book by the same title.

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
I've always been fascinated by the Enron story tho...I think there was a book by the same title.
The fascinating thing about it was how they pulled the wool over so many eyes! Investment bankers, accountants etc.

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 04:38 PM
The insiders don't want anyone to know how they cut up investors profits then say Too Bad!
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20020520/editors

harnesslover
11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
The insiders don't want anyone to know how they cut up investors profits then say Too Bad!
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20020520/editors

Wow, posting from opinion journals.. You've really run completely out of anything related to original thought. You poor bastard.

harnesslover
11-01-2007, 04:43 PM
The fascinating thing about it was how they pulled the wool over so many eyes! Investment bankers, accountants etc.

Financial scandals happen in every country.

For a fascinating story, follow up on the Parmalat scandal in Italy.. $12 Billion vanishes into thin air..

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, posting from opinion journals.. You've really run completely out of anything related to original thought. You poor bastard.
Attack the messenger, a old tiresome ploy without merit for even one who had pre-natal deprivation of thyroid hormone

JustMissed
11-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Attack the messenger, a old tiresome ploy without merit for even one who had pre-natal deprivation of thyroid hormone

46, you seem very knowledgeable about medical and a lot of stuff. Seems I saw one of your post where you said you worked the gate every weekend and maybe I saw one that said you work the track cameras.

Are you a vet or were you ever a jockey?

JM

46zilzal
11-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Retired physician trying to get a long term job in the industry. Have to start somewhere, as an experienced cameraman, opportunity met experience.

I man a television camera at the gate and operate the photo finish at another track.

bigmack
11-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Another cutting edge thread cooked up by Zilly this time about a 3 year old movie. :sleeping:

Those crooks stomped on the people of CA more than any other. Friends with businesses eeked out the storm when their energy costs tripled and not a soul stepped-up and did a thing about it. Particularly legislatively.

I encouraged retail businesses to post their bills for all to see. Most people couldn't fathom the amount of loot businesses were paying.

From the wreckage stemmed a business to help them cut in half their energy costs. Good for their pocketbook, good for the environment (or something like that), good for my business.

Psssst: Green/energy saving entities are a goldmine.

Instead of pretending & whining like a Zilly, HCap or Gore, get involved. It's lucrative, it's a good thing to do & it's everywhere.

DJofSD
11-01-2007, 06:12 PM
and not a soul stepped-up and did a thing about it. Particularly legislatively.

Yes but at least there's no more Gray Davis. (Where's my sweater?)

delayjf
11-01-2007, 06:29 PM
A good show by the way, but hardly current.
But relative, this guy was hardly an insider and now he's a millionaire.

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm all for pounding the hell out of the Ken Lays of the world. But their crimes are an indictment upon themselves, not the system. Just yesterday I read a story about a 17 girl who has started a e-business on 8 bucks (borrowed) that now profits a million a year.

Are their unscrupulous stockbrokers, you bet there are. And I have no problem with Government oversight and stiff fines and jail sentences for those who violate their fiduciary trust.

robert99
11-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Likely he/she has options to buy/ sell company stock at prices fixed by the company, not the stock exchange price, or to take additional cash or pension instead of stock. Unlike retail investors, the options lean towards the can't lose. The really important people in the company just get bawled out or "pie in the sky" as an incentive, which explain work efficiencies that hover below the 20% mark.

chickenhead
11-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Psssst: Green/energy saving entities are a goldmine.

If you need to open a northern branch, let me know. I speak redneck, dope grower, inbred, and mexifornian.

delayjf
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Likely he/she has options to buy/ sell company stock at prices fixed by the company, not the stock exchange price,
That was a poor example on my part, a stock option given or sold to a CEO is part of his compensation and not necessarily an investment.

harnesslover
11-02-2007, 09:37 AM
46, you seem very knowledgeable about medical and a lot of stuff. Seems I saw one of your post where you said you worked the gate every weekend and maybe I saw one that said you work the track cameras.

Are you a vet or were you ever a jockey?

JM

He's very knowledgable about how to navigate the internet to access and copy and paste from medical sites. That's about the extent of it.

harnesslover
11-02-2007, 09:38 AM

It just proves again you haven't an original thought in that empty skull of yours. You get called out on this on a daily basis, so much so, that it's bordering on sad. You're a joke, sorry.

The Judge
11-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Enron cars/trucks buildings were everywhere in California you had to ask "who are these people and what do they do?" It turned out to be a shell game, hyped by stockbrokers and the various stock and money magazine guru's.

Yet Warren Buffett couldn't figure out what their business was. That should have been a clue. I am sure Buffett has made bad investments but he insists that you have a business before he buys and not just a money making scheme.

The so called analyst and accountants became the "new rock stars" and they loved it. Instead of sound consevative advise based on the facts they invented new language and hyped stocks they knew were turkeys. They hyped the stocks their companies took public or whose boards they actually sat on. The so call "chinese wall" that was to exsit within a company (now there's a joke)was torn down.