PDA

View Full Version : Tin Man hurt, retired

ghostyapper
11-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Its a serious injury but his chances of survival are good. Lets pray this old warrior has a fast recovery and happy retirement!

Post-surgical injury ends The Tin Man's career

By STEVE ANDERSEN
ARCADIA, Calif. - The Tin Man, the 9-year-old multimillionaire, sustained a fractured knee in an accident after a surgical procedure on Oct. 25, and is in guarded condition at trainer Richard Mandella's Santa Anita stable, Mandella said on Wednesday.

The Tin Man was recovering from exploratory surgery on an ankle when he sustained the injury, according to Mandella and veterinarian Jeff Blea.

"Coming out of anesthesia, he had a difficult time and broke his knee," Mandella said. "He's got a serious fracture in his knee. We're not letting him move around."

The injury means that The Tin Man has been retired from racing, Mandella said.

"It's a sad deal," Mandella said. "Hopefully, it will work out. It's a serious fracture."

Blea said horses rarely are injured after surgery.

"It's one of the inherent risks of horses coming out of anesthesia," Blea said. "This is the second time I've seen it in 15 years. I think his chances of survival are good. It's quite severe, but he's comfortable.

"He's made it this far. He's a good patient. Our job is to make sure that he's comfortable and make sure he lives his life to the fullest."

The surgery was part of a battery of tests that The Tin Man underwent after Mandella and owners Ralph and Aury Todd decided to take the gelding out of training following a second-place finish in the Grade 1 Clement Hirsch Turf Championship on Oct. 6. The Tin Man emerged from that race with body soreness. At the time, Mandella hoped that The Tin Man could return in 2008 and race as a 10-year-old.

Mandella said that the tests revealed possible damage to an ankle, which resulted in the exploratory arthroscopic procedure.

A winner of 13 of 31 starts, 8 stakes, and $3,663,780, The Tin Man had 1 victory in 4 starts this year, the Grade 1 Shoemaker Mile at Hollywood Park. The Tin Man also finished second this year in the Grade 2 American Handicap at Hollywood Park and the Grade 1 Arlington Million at Arlington Park.

lilmegahertz
11-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I will miss him. I hate when they retire a horse after 8 starts [if even that many] and claim they are the greatest ever. How can you have proven what stuff you are really made of if you cannot withstand the test of time? Perfect Drift, Lava Man, The Tin Man, etc...they may not be the best out there but I still am a fan as I have been thru their ups and downs and it is comforting to me to see an old familiar name on the board.

bane
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
.. Kentucky Horse Park or a new lead pony?

Scav
11-01-2007, 06:48 PM
.. Kentucky Horse Park or a new lead pony?

It is more like life or death quite honestly. His exercise rider is a member of another message board and we are getting daily updates right now. Anything significant and I will cut and paste it.

Right now he is tied to the stall and not allowed to move, he is bright eyed but I guess he thinks he did something wrong.

Not to promote another board and if unacceptable please delete but here is the thread......

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17855

lilmegahertz
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
God I hope he makes it thru this. I would love to see him at the horse park cotinuing John's gallant hero status.....get better The Man...