PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita Thursday Jan 9

rrbauer
01-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Fast & Firm (Turf rail out 30 feet)

Dirt played strange yesterday, but it wasn’t until near the end that I realized that horses running on the inside up the backstretch were taking the worst of it.

With that in mind, I’ve looked at today’s card from the perspective of who benefits and who pays if the track plays the same as yesterday. No real picks because I don’t know how it will play.

R1
“Benefits” I dunno
“Pays” Youmakemethorbaby

R2
Turf and the ML Fav, Marine, has scratched.

R3
“Benefits” Tioga Lake and Ghost Memo
“Pays” Louie Tune, Global Games & Hot Grip

R4
“Benefits” Concussion, Odd Testamony & Forlaan
“Pays” Royal Footage

R5
Turf for 3YO MSW types.

R6
“Benefits” Stormented & After My Heart
“Pays” Cinnful Bride

R7
Tough call because these all have similar styles.

R8
“Benefits” Victory Moment & Santiago Rojo
“Pays” Latronica & Something Gorgeous (Super quick filly)

Go Baby Go!

rrbauer
01-09-2003, 04:10 PM
R1
They ran this one so slow that I don't think you can conclude much. (1/2 in :49.24 - 3/4 in 1:14.53 finished in 1:40+) 'Baby won with the lollypop trip and ran the race in the 3-path. The fav, Two Four Dancer, got a perfect rail trip, had dead aim off the turn but couldn't get the winner. Four horses in the win photo.

rrbauer
01-09-2003, 05:18 PM
R3
Like a couple trained pigs! Horses off the rail, beat the horses on the rail. Ghost Memo and Tioga Lake cleared into the lane and Memo won clear with Lake 2nd. Stylish Account, a closer, ran on for 3rd. Exacta came back $17 for a buck.

rrbauer
01-09-2003, 05:45 PM
R4
Royal Footage took back then came outside at the 3/8th pole and wore down Reluctant Hero who had come out soon after the start when Concussion and Daring Bert grabbed the lead and dropped over. Those two were off the board. Hero took the lead off the turn. Another late runner, Jake The Gamer, got up for 3rd.

Best horse won the race but changed his style to do so. Can't conclude much from this one.

The 6th with Cinnful Bride should tell the story about the inside!

rrbauer
01-09-2003, 06:45 PM
R6
Cinnful Bride and Pretty As Ashley ding-donged thru splits of :21.77 and :44.66. After My Heart came along into the lane but couldn't menace Bride who just ran on and clicked a 1:09.40 on the teletimer at the finish. Ashley held 3rd. Looked like business as usual for Santa Anita in this one. Have to move Latronica and Something Gorgeous off the "Pays" list in R8. Looks pretty fair to me.

rrbauer
01-09-2003, 07:17 PM
R7
Like Magic popped from the outside gate and wired them. Throw Me Roses ran the rail to the turn and came out for the drive but couldn't threaten the winner. Miss Expensive took far back, saved ground, and ran strongly up the rail to get 3rd. Secret Approval the 8/5 ML Fav ran mid pack and never threatened.

rrbauer
01-09-2003, 07:46 PM
R8
Something Gorgeous from the outside, Our Final Answer in between and Latronica inside did the early running. Gorgeous and Latronica ran together on the turn, but Latronica got clear. Answer kept grinding with Victory Moment (FTS) for the minor awards. Meantime, Majestic Rose came late with a big run and nailed Latronica on the money. Not sure if Pedroza saw this one coming, or not. Gorgeous needs a lone-f trip (or 4 furlongs!).

That's it!