PDA

View Full Version : Poll: When do you handicap?

JustRalph
10-31-2007, 05:12 PM
I am wondering when most members Handicap the races?

Morning before

Night Before

During the Card

Other/please advise in a post

GaryG
10-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Ralph, I hadn't noticed your new description "pissed off horseplayer". Love it to death. Here is a bit of trivia: The Hells Angels evolved from a post-war mororcycle group/gang called the Pissed Off Bastards...my dad knew a few of them when we lived in CA in the 50s. :jump: :jump: Didn't mean to hijack the thread...sorree.

JustRalph
10-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Ralph, I hadn't noticed your new description "pissed off horseplayer". Love it to death. Here is a bit of trivia: The Hells Angels evolved from a post-war mororcycle group/gang called the Pissed Off Bastards...my dad knew a few of them when we lived in CA in the 50s. :jump: :jump: Didn't mean to hijack the thread...sorree.

Just Carrying on the tradition........ :lol:

ceejay
10-31-2007, 06:33 PM
All of the above.....

keilan
10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
Typically I will project pace numbers the night before, get scratches in the morning, then begin handicapping. I will spend on average no more than ten minutes per race. Contenders are ranked and I then look to maximize my opinions.

rrpic6
10-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Ralph:

Some of my best Handicapping came while sitting in a stall. I remember being down to my last $60 a few years back. Handicapped the last race at Meadowlands, the Superfecta. My bet was one horse keyed over five, using up the sixty bucks. I literally ran out of the stall, pulling up my pants, ran to the window, got the bet in with 2 seconds to spare. It came in for about $2500. So guess I'll have to check "other".

RR

Zaf
10-31-2007, 09:14 PM
All of the above.

Z

onefast99
10-31-2007, 09:15 PM
The bigger races I try to do a day before. A 5k claimer 10 minutes to post...

theiman
10-31-2007, 09:34 PM
I do all of my video replay handicapping the night before.

My race day concentration is for how the track is playing and the tote board movement.

maxwell
10-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Gary G,

Didn't the Hell's Angels evolve from a group of post-war American fighter pilots that liked to tool around on motorcycles?

Sorry to hijack, kidnap, embezzle, murder, and crucify your post. :D

point given
10-31-2007, 10:09 PM
whats shakin' at home. Motherinlaw over , i'm cappin til dawn, wife lookin good, i'm cappin at the track race by race, girlfriend in town, racing ? ???:rolleyes:

ddog
10-31-2007, 10:15 PM
run a process to pull the races I will look at about 10 min before first race for the card , then wait until about 10 min to post for that(those) races , check odds check post parade,etc. make play - next.

Dave Schwartz
11-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Like most HSH users, I spend less than 2 minutes on the handicapping, which includes colelcting the tote information and building the system for the race.

That leaves me a full minute to decide how to "exploit" the race for profit (i.e. how to bet).

Then I can settle back and watch the race. (Or play 5 other tracks).

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: Anyone interested in a free copy of HSH should send an email to sales.

eastie
11-01-2007, 02:05 AM
when wifey is sleeping, late night or early morning. Mostly try to identify the bad favorites. Seeing the board open makes some fuzzy things seem very clear. I'd love to know why so horses that open dead run so badly. and why horses that open live run so well.....how is the money so consistantly right ?

betchatoo
11-01-2007, 08:00 AM
I do the base work for my handicapping the night before. The morning and pre-race time is used for evaluating scratches, looking for value and structuring wagers

Dave Schwartz
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
how is the money so consistantly right ?

One race in three is not that consistent.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Robert Goren
11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
The horses I like don't win they aren't well bet.

eastie
11-01-2007, 04:49 PM
talking about first flash only... not faves in general. I understand over time 1 out 3 win and 1 out 3 are out of the money. It's the ones that are out of the money I like. That's the idea isn't it. The first flash and double money say alot though. When some horse who looks even money and opens 5-2 . I know he's out of any ticket I'm betting. He may get all the mook money late and end up eevn money, but he'll probably get beat more often than not.

njcurveball
11-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Morning before

Night Before

During the Card

Other/please advise in a post

ALL of the above when given a chance!

Semipro
11-02-2007, 09:59 PM
All of the above my winning winnings days are when I handicap night before. Takes about four hours for one card complete my selections then wager accordingly not letting visuals, or others opinions, trainer tips , analyst people,or odds board,influence my wager.

Zman179
11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Ralph:

Some of my best Handicapping came while sitting in a stall. I remember being down to my last $60 a few years back. Handicapped the last race at Meadowlands, the Superfecta. My bet was one horse keyed over five, using up the sixty bucks. I literally ran out of the stall, pulling up my pants, ran to the window, got the bet in with 2 seconds to spare. It came in for about $2500. So guess I'll have to check "other".

RR

I'd say you're full of sh*t, but I'd be a little too late. :lol:

I prefer to handicap the night before, but, occasionally, I will handicap during the races. However, if I do, I'll only play one track at a time.

RaceBookJoe
11-04-2007, 12:10 AM
When I am serious about handicapping I always start the night before. Race day is for changes to the card, looking for value ( tentative bets are already made ). If I am going to play the horses just for fun, i spot play the same day and usually within 30-60 minutes until posttime. Either way, some races just jump out and some I dont get a feel for no matter how long I am looking at the race.

advancedcapper
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I handicap the morning of the races, as most races are not equally competitive. I do 30 races in 90 or so minutes.

For something like the Breeders Cup card or the Derby, i do it over a two day period. First to find the contenders and then the next day to narrow them down, as mant y horses have a chance and i don't have to just handicap 3-4 horses per race like a normal carded day.

ac