PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Material?

dcotton
10-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I am a very novice handicapper, trying to soak up as much information as possible. I would be interested in your suggestions for worthwhile reading material. If anyone has any suggestions or material they would like to sell I would appreciate the information. Thanks in advance

chickenhead
10-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the board. There have been a lot of similiar questions, and many many discussions of most books you might want to read in this section.

So that would be my suggestion, read all of these threads to learn more about the books you might want to read.

46zilzal
10-31-2007, 03:10 PM
to start, Modern Pace Handicapping's principles are at the heart of most of the conversations here

RedOne
10-31-2007, 04:55 PM
I would also recommend:

Betting Thoroughbreds: A Professional's Guide for the Horseplayer: Second Revised Edition
by Steve Davidowitz (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/104-4138026-6639949?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Steve%20Davidowitz) (Author

RedOne

proffdw
11-11-2007, 06:58 AM
hi dcotton.i've been at this horse racing since 1973,and i've read most all of the books mentioned here in the forums,but honestly i learned more from going to the track in my early days,and now i get more info about methods,systems and software programs on the internet the last few years i've used mostly tote board methods.i had one that was real good at longacres the last 10 years it was open,but then it didn't do good at all at emerald downs.i never used it,but there was something called the double drop method.at 5 minutes to post if the favorite is 5/2 watch the odds until 1 minute to post.if the 5/2 favorite goes down 2 notches you should bet it.you can try that,but don't spend a lot of money,as i don't know how good it will work.i have another one that did real good the first time i used it at emerald downs it picked 2 longshot place horses,and 3 longshot winners cluding the last one at 18-1.i'll see if i can find it.maybe it will work at the track you play.you can email me at proffdw@yahoo.com if you would like to talk about horse racing.talk to you later d w stevens

gallahadion
11-11-2007, 08:04 AM
cotten, i'm glad you asked that question...

First let me say that this is one game you may never learn everything about.

Contrary to some on this forum(heck, maybe most) I would start out with the most elementary scientific way to measure a horses ability - SPEED FIGURES.
This is the easiest way for a novice to get a handle on the game. You don't have to spend alot of money becuase the Beyer Speed Figures are published in the Daily Racing Form (the Bible of Daily handicapping). Higher is always better and they compare from track to track, distance to distance, and surface to surface. To understand and use these figures there are explanations on the internet and at the Daily Racing Form website but if I were you I would pick up a couple books on them. Andy Beyer wrote 3 books on his speed figures but the most current one is the one I would recommend you get, it's called:

Beyer on Speed.

They may even have a new edition out but this is a must have. Also, There are 2 books published by the Daily Racing Form (fyi. I do not work for them)
you should pick up(very moderately priced). The first one is :

Speed to Spare: Beyer Speed Figures Uncovered by Joe Cardello

the second one is:

The Power of Early Speed by Steve Klein

Both of these can be picked up either new or used(how I got mine) on Amazon.com(great site).

Using these 4 tools, The Beyer Speed Figures in the Daily Racing Form, and the 3 books mentioned above will give you a good foundation for elevating your game and knowledge in the future.

The Ainslie book mentioned in this thread is also a good, all around , must have for anyone (novice or expert) to have in his handicaping library.

For a second, third and fourth step down the road I would put these topic in this order:

2nd - Betting Strategy / Money Management
3rd - Trainers - moves, angles, etc...
4th - Learn about Conditions - how they write the races

Lastly, if you were up to it, then take on Pace.

Also, you need to be at the track or at the OTB, you need to be bouncing your ideas and selection off others. If you don't have friends that are SUCCESSFUL horseplayers then find some. There is nothing as educational as having a mentor who knows what he/she is talking about and can prove it by making winning wagers and bringing home a profit. And there is nothing like seeing that in person.

Best of Luck!

cj
11-11-2007, 09:10 AM
to start, Modern Pace Handicapping's principles are at the heart of most of the conversations here

I think that is more than a bit of a stretch. Some, sure, but most? Not even close.

Tom Barrister
11-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I am a very novice handicapper, trying to soak up as much information as possible. I would be interested in your suggestions for worthwhile reading material. If anyone has any suggestions or material they would like to sell I would appreciate the information. Thanks in advance[/size][/font]

Essentially, you want to buy books that get good user reviews on sites other than the homepage of the book (e.g. don't put much stock in "testimonials" on the website where the book is sold). Browse a few pages of threads in this forum for ideas.

Kelso
11-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I am a very novice handicapper, trying to soak up as much information as possible.

DC,
If you're brand new to betting on horses, then I have only a year or so on you. Very early on, I stumbled across two websites that were helpful as starting blocks ... for getting accustomed to the jargon and the "feel" of racing discussions:

TurfPedia™ - The Horse Racing Encyclopedia (http://turfpedia.com/index.html) Click through the links in the table of contents to see brief, general discussions of such matters as handicapping factors and betting strategies. It also has a good starter-glossary of racing terms.

Daily Racing Form: Horse Racing - Learn To Play The Races (http://www.drf.com/misc/free-info.html) The DRF has some downloadable brochures (.pdf format) that go a few steps deeper into handicapping and betting than does TurfPedia.

However, and by far, the best off-track education you'll find is right here at PaceAdvantage. I suggest you read it regularly, particularly the "general racing" and "general handicapping" sections. (I get a lot from the "ADW" and "software" sections, also.) You'll be amazed by the backgrounds and skills of the characters who post here.

Consider their observations and opinions, enjoy their recollections, ponder their questions, monitor their debates ... even if you get only the gist of their respective (though often not respectful :D ) arguments.

And then ask questions. You'll get quality answers; and often lots of them. Many members of this site are very happy to help. Take it from a fellow newbie.

joeyreb
11-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Pace Makes the The Race (http://www.gamblersbook.com/weblink.cby/detail/525005.html) - Tom Hambleton

http://www.gamblersbook.com/weblink.cby/detail/525005.html

kitts
11-12-2007, 01:39 PM
I was a losing player for many years. I bought and read "Winning Thoroughbred Strategies" by Dick Mitchell Then I started to win. 'Nuff said

Lefty
11-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Pizzolla's book Handicapping Magic is great. It's now out on a cd video with added stuff.

46zilzal
11-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Handicapping Magic changed my entire outlook on turfers and now I can be in the win column on that surface.

SAL
11-20-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree Handicapping Magic is a good one for newbies.

The new digital edition is kinda pricey, even with the added material. I traded my paperback copy a few years ago, so I was glad to receive the digital pdf version.

I'm not sure a newbie should shell out a C-Note for it though. Although the paperback copies were fetching some big prices on eBay.

JustRalph
11-20-2007, 11:36 PM
I hated Handicapping magic............ is that the one about the fulcrum?

let's make sure I have the right book before I tell you I thought it was a waste of time.............

Lefty
11-25-2007, 11:38 AM
JR, you have the right book. Ah, now horseracing is truly where diversity really exists. One man's meat...

JustRalph
11-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I got the least out of that book..........compared to others