PDA

View Full Version : Best BC performance ever?

Softshoesureshot
10-31-2007, 11:15 AM
After watching such impressive runs by horses like Midnight Lute, Corinthian, and of course, Curlin, I was wondering which horse gave the best BC performance ever, in your mind?

Some think Ghostzapper's Classic win a few years back would be the winner, while others would point to Skip Away's dominant performance, or Tiznow's back to back triumphs.

There have been stellar victories in all the categories, obviously.

Which Breeders Cup performance left you shaking your head in amazement? Who, in your mind, gave the best BC performance ever?

ghostyapper
10-31-2007, 11:42 AM
After watching such impressive runs by horses like Midnight Lute, Corinthian, and of course, Curlin, I was wondering which horse gave the best BC performance ever, in your mind?

Some think Ghostzapper's Classic win a few years back would be the winner, while others would point to Skip Away's dominant performance, or Tiznow's back to back triumphs.

Which Breeders Cup performance left you shaking your head in amazement? Who, in your mind, gave the best BC performance ever?

Very tough to give just one. I think Ghostzapper's was the most brilliant. Tiznow's 2 stretch drives gives me chills no matter how many times I watch them. Arazi's run was amazing. Alysheba had probably the best performance in defeat, going 5 wide on a heavy speed favoring track as a 3yo and coming up short in a photo. His victory next year was also great, talk about a horse that looked the other one in the eye and said "You are not getting past me" like he did to Seeking the gold.

But if I had to give just one, it couldn't be anything other than Personal Ensign in the distaff. She missed the break, was sliding all over the track, and was taken completely out of her running style. But the courage and determination she showed down the stretch was unforgettable!!.

mannyberrios
10-31-2007, 11:46 AM
For me it was Easygoer:jump:

46zilzal
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
For PURE dominance the answer is easy MIESQUE. She stands alone in that regard.

rgustafson
10-31-2007, 12:15 PM
For PURE dominance the answer is easy MIESQUE. She stands alone in that regard.

Could not agree with you more. To those of you that have come to the Breeders Cup lately, go back and look at her two races. She just toyed with the best turf milers in the world two years in a row. Did it effortlessly.

Murph
11-01-2007, 08:25 AM

Lure in his first BC Mile victory.

Murph

shanta
11-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Arazi in the 1991 Juvenile.

KirisClown
11-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Inside Information

Flanders

Tiznow.. both times

lilmegahertz
11-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Personal Ensign...this year I was really looking at Octave though. She did not win, but I thought she ran a great race.

cj
11-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Inside Information. I don't think any other is even close.

rastajenk
11-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Arazi is the most memorable to me.

Cratos
11-01-2007, 01:10 PM

You have asked a very good question and I rank my top Breeders’ Cup performances by the horses that were beaten.

1. Princess Rooney - The 1984 inaugural BC Distaff was run at 1 ¼ miles and the Princess dominated Life Magic (the 1985 Distaff winner) and Adored.
2. Precisionist – This horse won long and short, but in the 1985 BC Sprint he beat the likes of Smile, Mt. Livermore, and Ziggy’s Boy
3. Lady Secret – One of the all-time great race mares and she destroyed the field in the 1986 1 ¼ mile Distaff at Santa Anita
4. Ghostzapper – Despite never have run a 1 ¼ race and in against the prior year’s Classic winner in Pleasantly Perfect and the 2003 KY Derby winner in Funny Cide, the ‘Zapper in the 2004 BC Classic was a man among boys.
5. Curlin – Like him or hate him, but he put on a show in Jersey as he dominated a stellar field in this year’s BC Classic comprised of the KY Derby winner and the best older horse in training.

Hank
11-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Lure's second win in the mile,he drew the kiss of death 11 hole with a short run to the turn, still he wins easy.:ThmbUp:

Semipro
11-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Can't decide on Tizon,Ghostzaper,Invasor,Curlin-Saylami on turf

maxwell
11-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Dunno. Which Lindor chocolates are best ... White, Orange, Hazelnut?

Ghostzapper had me shaking my head. Daylami was grand to watch and look at.

Too many super horses to say; that's why it's The Breeder's Cup.

Good question though. :)

cj's dad
11-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Hope I have the spelling correct;)

At 133.6/1 I remember watching Bailey cross the line (#11) and people at the track saying who's that. May not have been the best BC race ever but it is the one I remember the most !!!:ThmbUp:

tiggerv
11-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Tiznow in both races will stay with me but even as a kid I was floored watching Arazi pass a dozen horses like they were standing still and absolutely check out. I still love watching that video.

Loserdave
11-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Most of the ones I think of have already been mentioned. I do think Midnight Lute's was the most impressive sprint win I've seen. One of my favorites of all time was Theatrical nosing out Trempolino.

46zilzal
11-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Most of the ones I think of have already been mentioned. I do think Midnight Lute's was the most impressive sprint win I've seen. One of my favorites of all time was Theatrical nosing out Trempolino.
Lit de Justice had that one measured and got through to boot in spite of being a horrible gate horse (blindfolded to get in)

Marlin
11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Another vote for Arazi. And IMHO it isn't even close.:)

46zilzal
11-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Another vote for Arazi. And IMHO it isn't even close.
A very impressive one no doubt, but the injured animal never reproduced it.

Bobzilla
11-02-2007, 03:06 PM
My favorite moment from a fan of the sport perspective would be the stretch run in the 1987 Classic at Hollywood Park, starring Ferdinand and Alysheba. Didn't get much better than having a Derby winner run down another Derby winner with a couple of Hall Of Famers on their backs.

Stablemates Flanders and Serena's Song dueling it out and taking no prisoners in 1994 was memorable.

Arazi's monstrous run in 1991 is unforgetable.

Personal Ensign keeping her record unblemished on the gooey Churchill going in 1988.

Inside Informations victory in 1995 was punctuated by a spectacular rainbow that could be seen behind the backstretch. I never heard others make mention of it. For some reason the rainbow reminded me of Go For Wand, who had died in the same race the last time it had been conducted at Belmont. Sounds weird, I know, but that's how it struck me at the time, GFW expressing her approval of II's performance.
From a playing standpoint my favorite Breeders' Cups are 2003 and 2006 as I hit the late P4s both years (only $1 base bet). 2006 was particularly gratifying.

Tom
11-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Personal Ensign...this year I was really looking at Octave though. She did not win, but I thought she ran a great race.

I agree - talk about classy horses - keeps her streak coming off the pace in mud! Next was Arazi.

shanta
11-02-2007, 03:19 PM
I do think Midnight Lute's was the most impressive sprint win I've seen.

Who was the horse that beat Meafara years back in the sprint? Closed from the clouds to pee on me big time. :(

46zilzal
11-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Who was the horse that beat Meafara years back in the sprint? Closed from the clouds to pee on me big time. :(
Cardmania? Thirty Slews?

It happens when the pace falls apart.