PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sprint sire?

Softshoesureshot
10-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Growing up in Southern California and attending the races since I was around 8 or so, I have always been captivated by the sprinters.

I was lucky enough to see Chinook Pass run, who is still my all time favorite sprinter.

My question is this...in maiden heats, where precocious breeding is paramount, who are some of your favorite sires?

Right now, I have some definite "key" sires that are almost always a play given the odds of the horse.

They are:

1) Yes Its True;
2) Is it True;
3) Gilded Time;
4) Smoke Glacken;
5) Honour and Glory

Who are your favorite sprint sires, and why?

Dodgersv
10-31-2007, 01:50 AM
I have three obvious ones:

*Storm Cat
*Carson City
*Maria's Mon

,but my favorite sprint sire in the United States is Bertrando. My god look at what he has sired... Bilo, Shaggy Mane, Unfurl the Flag, Officer.There is so much speed here. Also not to mention up and coming sprinters Zoning In, he beat Idiot Proof in the Real Good Deal, and versatile turf/dirt/poly sprinter Double Major.

gIracing
10-31-2007, 03:10 AM
IN Excess

why? he's damn fast. and his offspring are damn fast. 3 of the pure s peedest horses I've ever seen with my own two eyes.. Indian Chalrie, Bro Lo and Indian Blessing all come from him (Indian Blessing is by Indian Charlie). I've made a few win bets on IN Excess offspring in allowence races.. they dont' lack for speed that's one thing you never have to worry about, it's how far can they carry it.

Tom Barrister
10-31-2007, 04:24 AM
Agreed on Storm Cat and Carson City.

russowen77
10-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Cherokee Run
Forest Wildcat
Smoke Glacken

Not only are the foals fast but they are also sturdy.

andicap
10-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Salt Lake and Diablo.

That's because those are the only two sires I've cashed double-digit bets with.
I usually stay away from races that require much breeding info, but i hooked these and even touted a friend on Diablo at about 7-1. (had some trainer angles going for it to and a sharp workout or two)

Semipro
10-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Cherokee Run
Forest Wildcat
Smoke Glacken

Not only are the foals fast but they are also sturdy. Those are on my list along with Carson City,Lion Hearted,Indian Charlie

Softshoesureshot
10-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Russowen:

How did I forget Cherokee Run? Nice call by you.

The thing about Yes Its True is that he is still largely ignored in maiden heats in CA. In Excess and Bertrando are nice selections, as they do sire speedy horses, but many times in CA those horses get bet pretty hard.

Gilded Time is another value sire in terms of speed....his son, Old Topper, is doing pretty well in CA as many of his get are precocious.

point given
10-31-2007, 12:58 PM
City Zip - east coast
Posse - 2 yo new east coast
Swiss yodeler - 2yo's west coast
More Than Ready
Tale of the cat
Songand aprayer
Disco rico

Softshoesureshot
10-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Posse is going to be an amazing sire. Great call.

tholl
10-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Underrated turf spring sire is Concorde's Tune

russowen77
10-31-2007, 05:25 PM
PG,

Thanks for the Swiss Yodeler. I am not sure if his two year olds are really precocious or if they do will because they train so well. He seems to throw that wonderful personality of his with most of his foals.

Posse has leveled off a little after that rapid start. I hope he holds up.

Thanks to everyone contributing. I am mainly a maiden bettor and I love to upgrade my lists.

point given
10-31-2007, 09:59 PM
PG,

Thanks for the Swiss Yodeler. I am not sure if his two year olds are really precocious or if they do will because they train so well. He seems to throw that wonderful personality of his with most of his foals.

Posse has leveled off a little after that rapid start. I hope he holds up.

Thanks to everyone contributing. I am mainly a maiden bettor and I love to upgrade my lists.

i don't follow westcoast much anymore, but recall that SY fizz out at 3. Now with the different synthetic surfaces, its more watch til the dust settles. Try bloodhorse for updating.

LARRY GEORGE
10-31-2007, 10:08 PM
i like the way these sires do
swiss yodler
memo
they seem to do ok

mudnturf
11-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Gee, I see a lot of good names in those posts. I'd like to add a few I always loved.............
Distorted Humor, Elusive Quality, Grand Slam, Two Punch, and Lite The Fuse.

russowen77
11-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for Lite the Fuse. he was under my radar and is a very solid 1ster stallion.

I keep spacing Grand Slam for some reason. I love his breeding. Dp of 14-6-15-1-0 so he obviously is breed to feel the need for speed. Is absolutely the linebreeders dream also. As I am sure you are well aware his firsters are doubly dangerous on turf.

I got thinking about Grand Slam and Gone West and realized I left Gulch off my list.

Softshoesureshot
11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I love the entire Gone West line, with EQ, GS, Came Home, and so many more.......

eastie
11-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Underrated turf spring sire is Concorde's Tune

his dad Concorde Bound was a crack sprinter who sired plenty of winners. Got taken down in a $100,000 6 furlong race at suffolk one year on a brutal call by the stewards.