PDA

View Full Version : The Winning Look

beertapper
10-30-2007, 10:03 AM
looking for a copy of this out of print book. Anyone know where I could find one ?? thanks

Tom
10-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Author?

njcurveball
10-30-2007, 11:06 AM
looking for a copy of this out of print book. Anyone know where I could find one ?? thanks

The "garage of chaos" at the Schmidt residence? :jump:

socantra
10-30-2007, 11:35 AM

http://www.gamblingbooks.co.uk/horseracing/winninglook.html

beertapper
10-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Author is Nick Mordin.

I tried the link, but it was not available...thanks though

Tom
10-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Maybe Amazon?

socantra
10-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Author is Nick Mordin.

I tried the link, but it was not available...thanks though

Sorry about that. I couldn't turn a copy on any of my other links, American or British. If you are into what Mordin calls "Behavioral Handicapping", you might want to check out Joe Talach's articles on "Physicality Handicapping" in the Reading Room here at PA.

There's a world of Paddock study available for free, and in my opinion, Tackach is a little less prone to the acceptance of old horsey sayings than Mordin.

Good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for.

46zilzal
10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Problem with Tackach is that after awhile he begins splitting hairs to the point of ridiculousness. He begins "reading into" things that simply aren't there. There are a finite number of variables in looking at a horse and even then they are only relevant to the "normal" for said horse.

socantra
10-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Problem with Tackach is that after awhile he begins splitting hairs to the point of ridiculousness. He begins "reading into" things that simply aren't there. There are a finite number of variables in looking at a horse and even then they are only relevant to the "normal" for said horse.

After a while, most everyone starts splitting hairs to the point of ridiclousness. I guess Guru's just can't be relied on these days. Personally, I always figured it was the job of the reader to decide when that point of ridiculousness arrived.

Thanks for the help.

beertapper
10-31-2007, 01:12 AM
I checked out Joe Takach's website, and noticed he had a video which might be more helpful than a book...but it was in VHS.

i'm interested in learning more about "physicality handicapping"

Sorry about that. I couldn't turn a copy on any of my other links, American or British. If you are into what Mordin calls "Behavioral Handicapping", you might want to check out Joe Talach's articles on "Physicality Handicapping" in the Reading Room here at PA.

There's a world of Paddock study available for free, and in my opinion, Tackach is a little less prone to the acceptance of old horsey sayings than Mordin.

Good luck. Hope you find what you're looking for.

socantra
10-31-2007, 12:30 PM
I checked out Joe Takach's website, and noticed he had a video which might be more helpful than a book...but it was in VHS.

i'm interested in learning more about "physicality handicapping"

I watched Takach's Beat the Beam quite a bit a couple of years ago, and gained a few things from it and the companion book. He does a pretty good job of pointing out some things you can spot in the brief looks you get off a simulcast feed, unlike earlier tapes, such as Trillis Parker's Horses Talk, which pretty well required you be in attendence at the track.

Unfortunately, most of my recent viewing has been on TVG or HRTV, so any skills I might have gained at it have atrophied.

Physicality handicapping is a unique skill. Some get it easily and some never do. I think I gained a little out of it when I was trying daily, but it was never really a major part of my game. It seems like those who do really well with it spend a lot of time every day around horses, which makes perfect sense.

46zilzal
10-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Trillis Parker's work is so full of holes as to be almost useless. I have had several trainers look at it and the SAME conclusions were reached: EACH horse is different and to overlay rules to the group is utter nonsense

Hang out with the people AT the track who KNOW the stock. There are NO universal rules.

Bonnie Ledbetter's work is much more germane.

BIG49010
11-01-2007, 12:58 AM
I have a a copy I think I paid $80 dollars+ for it, when I purchased it I didn't know the conversion of pounds to dollars. Interesting book, but it is very hard to find. If you are still interested I will look up what I paid for it, and sell it for what ever it was.

robert99
11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
http://www.highstakes.co.uk/

For $20. It does not say the book in unavailable but the "more" information link is broken

pressman
11-01-2007, 10:08 AM
this seems to work 4 me 9.95 pounds whatever that is in US $

cj
11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
A little over $21 US Dollars.

socantra
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
this seems to work 4 me 9.95 pounds whatever that is in US $

That is the link originally posted. If you attempt to purchase online, it will respond that the title is "No longer available".

robert99
11-01-2007, 06:34 PM
The book was published in 1994 by Aesculus Press, Oswestry, UK.
That publisher has since gone bankrupt so there will only be remnants or secondhand copies occasionally available. Nick Mordin, himself, may have some copies.

beertapper
11-02-2007, 12:55 AM
The book was published in 1994 by Aesculus Press, Oswestry, UK.
That publisher has since gone bankrupt so there will only be remnants or secondhand copies occasionally available. Nick Mordin, himself, may have some copies.

their website is still up
http://aesculus-press.com/

looks like they are taking orders still ??

robert99
11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
This is probably the company that took over. They do not list TWL.

jonnielu
11-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I watched Takach's Beat the Beam quite a bit a couple of years ago, and gained a few things from it and the companion book. He does a pretty good job of pointing out some things you can spot in the brief looks you get off a simulcast feed, unlike earlier tapes, such as Trillis Parker's Horses Talk, which pretty well required you be in attendence at the track.

Unfortunately, most of my recent viewing has been on TVG or HRTV, so any skills I might have gained at it have atrophied.

Physicality handicapping is a unique skill. Some get it easily and some never do. I think I gained a little out of it when I was trying daily, but it was never really a major part of my game. It seems like those who do really well with it spend a lot of time every day around horses, which makes perfect sense.

Would you say that it is a worthwhile addition to a persons game?

robert99
11-29-2007, 03:44 PM

Yes, I used the technique alone when I first started out.
So it can be more than an addition.
It was then all based on my own observations.
The various books will help, but an awful lot in them is irrelevant and unproven.

socantra
11-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I would say it depends a lot on how familiar you are with horses. Most of it is not earthshaking and covers many of the same sort of things that Bonnie Ledbetter and Trillis Parker covered; arched tail, arched neck, racing muscle, head over the lead pony's neck, up on toes, false starts, dappling, etc, etc.

He's geared a lot toward using a simulcast feed, and what you can get in a quick look. He spends a lot of time on how the horse stands in the paddock and walking short in the post parade. Clues to look for for soreness, etc.. If you spend a lot of time around horses a lot of it may be fairly elementary.

I don't spend much time around horses and it has been useful to me. Even with only HRTV and TVG, I can occasionally am able to throw out a horse that looked okay on paper. I certainly don't qualify as an expert off the tape and wouldn't try to pick off of physicality but it has helped to spot the sore horse.

robert99
04-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Three Nick Mordin books currently on Ebay - going cheap! :jump:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/horse-racing_Books-Comics-Magazines_W0QQcatrefZC6QQdfspZ32QQflocZ1QQfromZR40 QQfrtsZ100QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsabfmts Z1QQsacatZ267QQsaobfmtsZinsifQQsaslcZ2