PDA

View Full Version : SHRP full fields for Thursday

PurplePower
01-09-2003, 01:54 AM
Even though we turned a page on our calendars, SHRP's winter spring meeting continues with the 36 day of racing of this 85 day meeting. A couple of guys on here use Purple Power when they play in the War Room (ok maybe only Sufferingdowns does - but he had that handle BEFORE he knew about PP.) You can check me out on the SHRP web site. You can get Purple Power for free -- so just remember that it may only be worth what you pay for it. Here is Thursday's sheet. (It looks better with all the bells and whistles on the website.)

PURPLE POWER
January 9, 2002
by C. Reid McLellan

TONIGHT: With Sam Houston Race Park racing only three days a week in January we start this week with six twelve horse fields, three ten horse fields and an eight horse field. As is usually typical of SHRP races, only one of these (Race 4) had a “solid top pick”. That could mean some good pay offs could be in the offing. Roman Chapa is on three top picks including Race 4 and is our JOCK-TO-JIVE!

RACE 1: $5000 CLAIMING, 4yo & UP FEMALES NW2Y GOING 6 FURLONGS
Throw Outs: 1.
10 (Wild Grades), dropping to lowest level of career, pressed fastest early fractions of any of these when this daughter of Wild Zone went 21.6 and 45 flat against $15K claimers on 9-Nov. 8 (Leadingalltheway) switches from turf to dirt where five year old mare was second and fourth against similar company here. 4 (Bupper) is getting blinkers ON for first time after finishing third in 14-of-32 starts, 9-of-14 this year. 11 (Freesia’s Mist), distanced in her most recent start, had bullet prep work on 2-Jan. suggesting that this Amos LaBorde trainee may be ready to return to form that produced some of best speed figures of this group last year. AT THE WIRE: 10 – 8 – 4 – 11 – 2.

RACE 2: $15,000 MAIDEN CLAIMING, 3-YEAR OLDS AT 51/2 FURLONGS
Throw Outs: 5, 7, 9.
12 (Ashe Ole’) could offer some value (8-1 in ML) as son of Ide gets first lasix for second start of his career. 10 (Special Beam) and 11 (Timbergreen), making first start from RP, should vie for early lead. Beam has advantage of a race over the Brazos River Sand. 8 (Midnight Habit) is first time starter with long series of solid works including sharp half mile here on 4-Jan. AT THE WIRE: 12 – 10 – 11 – 8 – 1.

RACE 3: $7500 CLAIMING, 4_ FEMALES NW3L GOING 6 FURLONGS
Throw Outs: None. Wide open race has some runners that could be considered throw-outs, but this is one of those “SHRP specials” where anything could happen.
5 (Protect The Child) drops back to lowest level at which she raced last year after finishing in trifecta in 3-of-4 most recent at higher claiming levels. 9 (Mardi Gra Gal) won against much tougher at FG last year. 2 (Special Motion) was 2-1-0 from 4 starts with Rowland riding up north. 12 (Miss Eagle), making first start in almost two years, could finish in top three at 20-1 or more. AT THE WIRE: 5 – 9 – 2 – 12 – 6.

RACE 4: MAIDEN SP WEIGHT, 3YO TEXAS FILLIES GOING 11/16 MILES
10 (Zottex) is solid top pick as daughter of Manzotti drops back to maiden company after running fifth in Texas Stallion stakes in most recent. 6 (Stephenes Baby) finished less than two lengths behind Zottex when they met going two turns on 16-Dec. 2 (Miss Triple Turn) is strong closer that was another length behind “Baby” in that race for maiden fillies. 7 (Just Irish) is first time starter bred to go two turns. Even though granddaughter of Dahar only shows two moderate prep works, you can bet trainer Richey has been working her regularly at the farm. AT THE WIRE: 10 – 6 – 2 – 7 – 8.

RACE 5: $7500 CLAIMING FOR 4-YEAR OLDS & UP GOING 6 FURLONGS
Throw Outs: None. Another 12-runner field that could offer big money payoffs.
10 (Guadalujpes Tailor) won most recent two starts in fast time and could prove tough to catch. Amos has yet to run bay horse for what it was claimed for in California and that may suggest a possible problem that could re-surface at any time. Watch post parade for clues as to whether this probable favorite is worth betting against. 9 (Point Click) had best recent Beyer Speed Figure (BSF) when third for $15K two races back. 4 (Heraldo – Chi) could be long shot that improves payoff as this nine-year old bay gelding likes this track (3-2-2 from 12) and distance (4-2-2 from 17). 12 (Tainted Chimes), claimed out of winning effort in HOU03 debut, was in exacta in 8-of-10 most recent starts.
AT THE WIRE: 10 – 9 – 4 – 12 – 11.

RACE 6: MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT, 3-YR OLDS GOING 51/2 FURLONGS
Throw Outs: 5. (Only a Freddy Kruger fan would think that was a cool name.)
8 (Trade Show), making first start here from Northern California, had sharp prep work here on 20-Dec. and is getting first lasix. 10 (I’m Confederate) had sharp workout on 4-Jan. in preparation for third out of career and first since June. 11 (Cielo Halo) is first time starter by Hay Halo, a sire whose first timers tend to run well. 6 (Chase This Case) is first time starter with long series of solid workouts and solid connections. AT THE WIRE: 8 – 10 – 11 – 6 – 4.

RACE 7: $10,000 CLAIMING, 4YO & UP FEMALES AT 5 FURLONGS (TURF)
Throw Outs: 4. Grass sprint and none of these are exceptionally well bred for turf. Those that do have at least a win or two on grass have lesser grass pedigrees, but those with better grass breeding having performed well on grass. 3 (Silverspeed) has made most money on grass of this group and is 2-for-2 over the Connally blades. 9 (Crafty Loom) finished just a half-length behind “Silver” when they met at Retama on 25-Aug. 8 (Crystal Appeal) was 0-2-1 from her first four grass sprint efforts. 10 (Imaprime) may find out she likes this course. AT THE WIRE: 3 – 9 – 8 – 10 – 7.

RACE 8: $20,000 CLAIMING FOR 4YO & UP GOING ONE MILE
Throw Outs: None.
7 (Trick Bag) won 2-of-3 most recent with a second in other start. Son of Personal Flag has his work cut out as 5 (Mel’s Marque) returns to Houston after finishing off the board against tougher in two at Churchill Downs. Sharp 27-Dec. workout suggests that “Mel” would not be a surprise in winner’s circle. 8 (Answermykiss) is John Franks owned, Terry Stanton ridden son of Kissin Kris dropping to lowest level of career. 6 (Dand’or) switches from turf to dirt where his strong finishing kick put him in trifecta in 3-of-4 most recent efforts. AT THE WIRE: 7 – 5 – 8 – 6 – 2.

RACE 9: ALLOWANCE FOR 3yo FILLIES NW1X GOING 6 FURLONGS
Throw Outs: 4, 10, 12.
2 (One Sweet Dash) might be considered a solid top pick off a maiden breaking win at Fairgrounds. This is bay filly’s first effort against winners and she will face faster early fractions that what she was allowed to set in her maiden score. 1 (Page Me Later), in exacta in all three starts, appears to have best running style to take advantage of possible speed duel. 5 (No Betta Cat) was third against stakes company in most recent two starts. 3 (Ebony Post) and 9 (Pink Camellia) dueled fractions of 21.8 and 45 flat on night that track was being kind to front speed. Both stayed for a 1-2 finish but will have to contend with “Sweet Dash” and possibly 6 (Valid Desire), 8 (Speed Shot) and 11 (Shannons Valentine) tonight.
AT THE WIRE: 1 – 2 – 5 – 3 – 9.

RACE 10: MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT, 3-YR OLDS AT ONE MILE (TURF)
Throw Outs: 4, 8, 10.
9 (Smooth As Silver) doesn’t have as much grass breeding as 2 (Cozzene Continued), but “Silver” ran a better debut than did “Continued”. 5 (Taconic Run) showed good early speed in debut and has breeding to like switch to grass and stretch out in distance. 7 (Hunterwood Point), making first start on turf, was in superfecta in 3-of-4 going 7 furlongs or farther.
AT THE WIRE: 9 – 2 – 5 – 7 – 3.

Boris
01-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by PurplePower

RACE 1: $5000 CLAIMING, 4yo & UP FEMALES NW2Y GOING 6 FURLONGS

Hold on there PP. Let me make a case for this one as I think she can light up some exoctics.

Disclaimer: No not bet this horse! She's out of conditions and is butt ugly in the form. Should be everybody's first toss out, but I'm using her on the bottom and will put a couple across on her. Should be in excess of her 68-1 last out odds.

Bronstad is not very good, but every once in a while she will pull one out, and she's better in sprints and with horses with a little early foot. Ol' #1 Lucky Currency, and she is old, was on her way to the Friskies plant in West Virginia but landed at Sammy. Let's cut her a break. 9 year old ran 11 races in 6 months and her figures were heading south. Comeback race was beat by 20, but did get out early and hang close to the 2nd call. Now comes back to the rail and should be in better position coming around the turn. A couple of slow works for conditioning may just do the trick. Her best two races at the Mountain did come out of the 1 and 2 holes. I'm not figuring on the win, but I don't think she's a "toss" either. I'm hoping she fills a Sammy Special signer that has everyone scratching their heads.

PurplePower
01-09-2003, 05:02 PM
I'm always a little hesitant to throw out either Charlotte or Cathleen Garner -- the longer the odds the harder to completely toss them. Sometimes, though, I just bite the bullet, fade back and let 'em fly. I hope she is successful for you - you hit a "trick" with the 1 anywhere inside and she'll pay for your table in the Winners' Circle.