PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Talkcast - interest?

richrosa
10-29-2007, 10:40 AM
For those of you who joined us or listened to us, or who are just interested in our Breeders Cup TalkCast, we thought it was fun doing it, and appreciate all of the kind comments that everyone put forth.

I'd like to get a gauge of interest from the good people here on PA on a weekly program with the same format. We figure we'd do it live at 9pm ET on Fridays, with the podcast available for everyone to listen to on the weekend. It would be more interactive, as we'd set aside time to take calls.

It should have sounded to you like a bunch of handicappers sitting around having a drink and a cigar talking about handicapping and gambling. In the proposed format, we would have a weekly roundtable that may include the participants in our Breeders Cup call, and some new people who would rotate in and out based on availability.

Just to recap, our participants last week were:
Richard Rosa - moderator - principal HandicappingOS
Ian Myers - principal Premier Turf Club
John Del Riccio - Professional Handicapper and principal of Woodside Associates
Joe Riddell - former trainer, bloodstock agent and physicality expert
Boomer Wry - Announcer at Yavapai Downs and Handicapper
John R. - professional handicapper
Jeff Platt - principal JCapper
Richard Mullikin - Handicappers Data Warehouse (last minute cancel)

If we do it this week, we'll do a recap of the Breeders Cup races and what we did right and wrong. We'll try to get the entire panel back again before we start adding new people.

If this turns into a regular thing, we'll talk to PA and get his support as well.

MNslappy
10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
As someone who is still learning the game, I would absolutely love to have a weekly mp3 to download. There just really isn't all that much in-depth racing talk/streaming audio available for free on the internets, it's kind of a shame. I'd definitely be a faithful weekly downloader.

stuball
10-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Lookin forward to the next show.....keep me posted...

Stuball :jump:

JustRalph
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
and some new people who would rotate in and out based on availability.

If this turns into a regular thing, we'll talk to PA and get his support as well.

I would love it. I would like to also say that rotating guests would be the key. The stuff I download now, always seems to have the same members and they get pretty boring after a while.............with all the different views in this game? It should never be boring

njcurveball
10-29-2007, 04:30 PM
I enjoyed your Breeders Cup discussion. I would enjoy listening to any others that you do. :ThmbUp:

I would suggest that each member of the panel stick to their own positives of why they like a horse.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion in this game. Many of the solid selections will have some negatives if they are going to be a decent price.

Also prefer "live" capping on races that have yet to be run. If I hear from one more person how they "knew" Street Sense or Lawyer Ron had no chance I think I will scream! :bang:

boomman
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
For those of you who joined us or listened to us, or who are just interested in our Breeders Cup TalkCast, we thought it was fun doing it, and appreciate all of the kind comments that everyone put forth.

I'd like to get a gauge of interest from the good people here on PA on a weekly program with the same format. We figure we'd do it live at 9pm ET on Fridays, with the podcast available for everyone to listen to on the weekend. It would be more interactive, as we'd set aside time to take calls.

It should have sounded to you like a bunch of handicappers sitting around having a drink and a cigar talking about handicapping and gambling. In the proposed format, we would have a weekly roundtable that may include the participants in our Breeders Cup call, and some new people who would rotate in and out based on availability.

Just to recap, our participants last week were:
Richard Rosa - moderator - principal HandicappingOS
Ian Myers - principal Premier Turf Club
John Del Riccio - Professional Handicapper and principal of Woodside Associates
Joe Riddell - former trainer, bloodstock agent and physicality expert
Boomer Wry - Announcer at Yavapai Downs and Handicapper
John R. - professional handicapper
Jeff Platt - principal JCapper
Richard Mullikin - Handicappers Data Warehouse (last minute cancel)

If we do it this week, we'll do a recap of the Breeders Cup races and what we did right and wrong. We'll try to get the entire panel back again before we start adding new people.

Rich: It was a lot of fun participating, and I learned a lot of GREAT perspective from the panel (clocker notes, hoof sizes, etc) that were extremely intriguing! I would also like to compliment you on your moderation of the program, which was excellent! Although my extensive travel schedule would keep me from participating full time, I would be happy to join you guys again whenever possible! :ThmbUp:

Boomer

Tom
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
That would be great. We used to get together on Friday nights after the radio program and the hosts and PA sponsored a chat about the upcoming weeked.
I miss that.

shanta
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
I'd listen to one with some of our own all stars(pros). Nirvana for me is:

Cj - Pace and his unique way of using winner's pace of race instead of pace of race to get his figs.

Dan G - Most complete player among the group. Just reading and looking at his contributions here and over at Htr bear this out. Total package and classy too.

Keilan - Mr. Energy(will tell you he is too!). Knows his stuff and has a unique perspective on working races.

The Fatman - Trip analyst extraordinaire. Disdains numbers and looks at races differently. Key player. Needs to be heard from.

Jim G - Most improved capper for PROFIT I have seen. Keys around value,hard work etc. Brings a lot to the table. Winning player now for years.

Jeff Platt - Jcapper creator is professional capper and programmer. Extremely hard combo to find in todays racing. Also explains things very clearly and doesn't go over folks heads. Classy.

Rrbauer - Don't know him personally but he is awesome. Looking at contest results and wagers of his bear this out. Dude is serious.

Drugs - This dude is complete. Waiting for him to publish a book. Wish I knew him better. "Must have" for a panel.

Dave Schwartz - Love to hear him on money management and exploitation of pools. Knows his shit. Maybe he would agree to jump in.

shanta
10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
one more to add please.
46zilzal - dude is sharp and has interesting ideas relating to energy and early. The infamous blue screen man :)

betchatoo
10-30-2007, 08:47 AM
I'd love it. I listened to the Breeder's Cup broadcast a couple of times.

richrosa
10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
We're getting encouragement from all over to try and make this a regular thing. Most of the panelists from last week can face the ugly in our BC review so I will schedule that before we open it up to new panelists in our rotation.

As soon as I have a confirmed date and time (likely Friday 9pm ET), I will schedule with an agenda.

beertapper
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
i think it would be a great idea... i've been waiting for a good weekly podcast / radio show to listen to on racing.

Zaf
10-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a great idea :ThmbUp:

Z

richrosa
10-30-2007, 11:10 PM
At the Races with Steve Byk, which I was a guest on last week, is simply the finest work on horse racing podcasting and live broadcast. Its a slick production with great guests and a truly informed host who has the inside track on the game.

http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/

We're not trying to be that. A weekly podcast of a bunch of horseplayers talking about handicapping and gambling that isn't boring should be our goal.

Zaf
10-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Agree 100 % about ATR & Steve Byk ! Hands down the best damn show out there !!!!

Z

ALostTexan
10-31-2007, 01:36 AM
At the Races with Steve Byk, which I was a guest on last week, is simply the finest work on horse racing podcasting and live broadcast. Its a slick production with great guests and a truly informed host who has the inside track on the game.

http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/

We're not trying to be that. A weekly podcast of a bunch of horseplayers talking about handicapping and gambling that isn't boring should be our goal.

Cannot agree more about Byk and the show. It just seems to get get better and better every week.

I am also one that would love a weekly show from PA...

andicap
10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
I'd listen to one with some of our own all stars(pros). Nirvana for me is:

Cj - Pace and his unique way of using winner's pace of race instead of pace of race to get his figs.

Dan G - Most complete player among the group. Just reading and looking at his contributions here and over at Htr bear this out. Total package and classy too.

Keilan - Mr. Energy(will tell you he is too!). Knows his stuff and has a unique perspective on working races.

The Fatman - Trip analyst extraordinaire. Disdains numbers and looks at races differently. Key player. Needs to be heard from.

Jim G - Most improved capper for PROFIT I have seen. Keys around value,hard work etc. Brings a lot to the table. Winning player now for years.

Jeff Platt - Jcapper creator is professional capper and programmer. Extremely hard combo to find in todays racing. Also explains things very clearly and doesn't go over folks heads. Classy.

Rrbauer - Don't know him personally but he is awesome. Looking at contest results and wagers of his bear this out. Dude is serious.

Drugs - This dude is complete. Waiting for him to publish a book. Wish I knew him better. "Must have" for a panel.

Dave Schwartz - Love to hear him on money management and exploitation of pools. Knows his shit. Maybe he would agree to jump in.

So how many winners do I have to post to make this list? :D

shanta
10-31-2007, 09:46 AM
So how many winners do I have to post to make this list? :D

Had a senior moment Andy and forgot :( my bad as you certainly bring a lot.Let's see if any of this goes down as I would like to hear sharpies from this site.

richrosa
10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Andicap,

The plan is to have a call-in every week. You are welcome, as is everyone to join us.

Our panels will rotate, but will not look materially different than it did last week, but will have the addition of different panelists as we see fit.

On another note to clear up some confusion. I have not yet solicited any blessing from PA, therefore to characterize this as a PA Talkcast would be untrue. The Talkcast has been joint venture between different PA advertising supporters, who will provide the backbone for supporting this in the future.

andicap
10-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Rich,

Sound good -- i would definitely listen.

Seriously there is one person on this forum I would highly recommend for your show -- Doug Hillstrom (aka Hajak ??sp ) -- he's been bringing it home for a long time.

richrosa
10-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Sounds good. We will reach out to him for a future TalkCast, if he's interested.

beertapper
10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
i second that motion...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/314094_larry03.html

glad he's on this board too

Rich,

Sound good -- i would definitely listen.

Seriously there is one person on this forum I would highly recommend for your show -- Doug Hillstrom (aka Hajak ??sp ) -- he's been bringing it home for a long time.

andicap
11-01-2007, 05:39 AM
i second that motion...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/314094_larry03.html

glad he's on this board too

He's a pro's pro and a great guy, always wiling to share.
I've known Doug since the old Prodigy days -- more than 15 years. Jeez, I remember surfing that clunky interface at 2400 baud!:D Took me hours to read those notes.

Doug had an article in the old C&O publication that PAer Bill Olmstead co-edited with Mark Cramer about a system he called "The Surge." Something about gaining a lot of lengths between calls as I seem to recall.

A few current PAers were around back then on Prodigy, including PA himself, JimG, Maxspa, mudnturf (yes, we knew Lee T. BEFORE he was Lee T. I remember a Prodigy gathering at the Big A when he was with us -- little did we knew he would become such a celeb. ;) ) and a few others I'm forgetting at the moment. (my apologies to them.)

Jerry Bailey checked in a couple of times under his wife's name. Blood-horse Editor in chief Ray Paulick was a regular (that's how I became a free-lance writer for them in the 90s -- now that was networking. What a great press pass that was for about three years)
The late Eric Langjhar (sp?) who worked with Pizzolla was a regular contributor -- you could tell how sharp he was. Charlsie Cantey was on a little bit and NY Post handicapper John Da Silva was a regular. (one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. I wish he would come by here).

Funny how things work out. I heard about the Prodigy board from a guy named Paul Westerline at a Dick Mitchell seminar I attended in LA. From Prodigy I met Ray and PA -- and from there to here with PA again.

I'm constantly wondering what happened to many of the other fine players on that board -- but I'm glad Doug H. found us.
:)