PDA

View Full Version : How much can Arod get?

njcurveball
10-29-2007, 09:41 AM
This board is full of people who are experts on value. So if we can KEEP ON TOPIC here. How much do you think Alex Rodriguez can get with his new contract?

Sticking to the facts, he effectively turned down 24 million a year and eliminated the team with the biggest pockets.

In a decision that likely ends four tumultuous and unfulfilling seasons with the Yankees, Rodriguez forfeited $72 million he was owed over the final three seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year deal, which he signed with Texas before the 2001 season.

From what I could find on salaries, three Yankees make more than 20 million, Arod, Giambi, and Jeter.

The next 3 highest salaries are

Manny Ramirez, 17 million
Todd Helton, 16.6 million
Bartolo Colon 16 million (and they talk about Clemens "robbing the bank" this year)

So how much more can Arod get? He will be the 2007 MVP, but was already at the top of the list.

The Yankees were trying to work out an extension for him between 25 and 30 million as well.

Anyone think the Mets have 30 million? The Red Sox? DEFINITELY NOT the Phillies! Who can afford him now that he has set his price so high?

I hope he gets no offers above his current 24 million! Then what?

Scott Boras has long been the greediest agent in Sports. I am hoping this time the owners stick it to him!

boomman
10-29-2007, 10:16 AM
This board is full of people who are experts on value. So if we can KEEP ON TOPIC here. How much do you think Alex Rodriguez can get with his new contract?

Sticking to the facts, he effectively turned down 24 million a year and eliminated the team with the biggest pockets.

In a decision that likely ends four tumultuous and unfulfilling seasons with the Yankees, Rodriguez forfeited $72 million he was owed over the final three seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year deal, which he signed with Texas before the 2001 season.

From what I could find on salaries, three Yankees make more than 20 million, Arod, Giambi, and Jeter.

The next 3 highest salaries are

Manny Ramirez, 17 million
Todd Helton, 16.6 million
Bartolo Colon 16 million (and they talk about Clemens "robbing the bank" this year)

So how much more can Arod get? He will be the 2007 MVP, but was already at the top of the list.

The Yankees were trying to work out an extension for him between 25 and 30 million as well.

Anyone think the Mets have 30 million? The Red Sox? DEFINITELY NOT the Phillies! Who can afford him now that he has set his price so high?

I hope he gets no offers above his current 24 million! Then what?

Scott Boras has long been the greediest agent in Sports. I am hoping this time the owners stick it to him!

Jim: I think someone WILL pay A-rod 30 million, and when you compare him to guys like Bartolo Colon and Jason Giambi getting 20 million, he actually (as it pertains to baseball) may be worth 50 million! LOL:D Scott Boras does what every other agent does in sports: Tries to get the absolute most for his client! And in this case, whether you love him or loathe him, he has a product that EVERYONE in baseball needs, and I have no doubt that A-rod will get @ least 30 mil per year.........

Boomer

headhawg
10-29-2007, 10:25 AM
$30 million/year is ridiculous. Talk about your classic underlay. I know that this would put me out of the running, but if I were a GM my offer would be $100 Mil over 5 years. Essentially whoever signs him now is stuck with him. He will be untradeable with whatever contract he signs unless the trading team pays for a bulk of the salary (like Texas did with the Yankees). You have to consider the possibility of injury and skill erosion, and the fact that he's not a Mr. October.

$30+ Million can buy me two or maybe even three very good players. Hell, isn't that more than the Devil Rays payroll? :)

harnesslover
10-29-2007, 10:45 AM
$30 million/year is ridiculous. Talk about your classic underlay. I know that this would put me out of the running, but if I were a GM my offer would be $100 Mil over 5 years. Essentially whoever signs him now is stuck with him. He will be untradeable with whatever contract he signs unless the trading team pays for a bulk of the salary (like Texas did with the Yankees). You have to consider the possibility of injury and skill erosion, and the fact that he's not a Mr. October.

$30+ Million can buy me two or maybe even three very good players. Hell, isn't that more than the Devil Rays payroll? :)

Financially speaking, it's really not ridiculous to give him $30 million. The financial impact he had on the yankees outweighed his salary last year by $10+ million.

of course depending on where he goes, it could have a different impact. For instance, if he went to the CUbs or Red Sox, who sell out every single game, they really couldn't recoup the salary by adding revenue.

I think there are maybe 3 teams that can afford him - Sox, Angels, Dodgers

Sox might make a push for him since Lowell will be gone. Angels I think are the team most likely to get him.

In the NL, the Cubs, Phillies, Mets really don't need him, as 2 of them have good 3rd basemen and the other has the best offense in the NL and needs pitching more than anything.

So I would guess ANgels.. at around 5 years $150 mill

banacek
10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
My guess is that he will get more than that. Something like $32-$35 million. I hope I'm wrong!

(And how about Toronto? Canadian dollar sky high. If they went for ARod they'd probably make a lot back on increased attendance)

headhawg
10-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Financially speaking, it's really not ridiculous to give him $30 million. The financial impact he had on the yankees outweighed his salary last year by $10+ million.And that's the kind of thinking that makes it cost $250 for a family of four to go to a ball game.

It IS ridiculous.

harnesslover
10-29-2007, 10:59 AM
And that's the kind of thinking that makes it cost $250 for a family of four to go to a ball game.

It IS ridiculous.

Headhawg, you can't think of it from a 'what they make versus what we make', you have to think of it as it was stated - value.

For instance, getting $4.00 to win on a horse doesn't exactly float my boat, but if I have the horse as bettable at 3/5, it's fantastic value.

If A-roid can generate $45 million in revenue for a team, from a financial aspect, wouldn't it behoove you to pay the man $30 million a year?

kenwoodallpromos
10-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I think Georgie is signaling with Torre and A-Rod a slowdown in increased salaries. In 2006 Selig said MLB revenue would be $5.2 billion; that between all the teams.

headhawg
10-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Yes I agree. But, does he really have that kind of "star power"? With a couple of exceptions (like the Cubs who will draw no matter what), doesn't winning put fannies in the seats? A-rod couldn't win with Texas, and with the bazillions the Yank-mees spend they couldn't even get to the WS and haven't for how many years?

I know that being a GM isn't an easy job, but I swear I could put a winning team together without breaking the bank. A-rod is a great player but he is not a winner IMO, and it is the rare individual that actually makes a team elevate to the championship level. (Think Michael Jordan.)

Would I love to see A-rod on the White Sox? Sure, but it won't happen because of the dollar amount. Besides, he wouldn't make them champions again anyway.

Fwizard
10-29-2007, 11:31 AM
I think the most likely team to grab him is the Angels ....they need a little more pop in the offense and an A-Rod / Vlad combo might get them farther in the playoffs ---he easily will ask for 35 million and get 32.

harnesslover
10-29-2007, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=headhawg]Yes I agree. But, does he really have that kind of "star power"? With a couple of exceptions (like the Cubs who will draw no matter what), doesn't winning put fannies in the seats?[QUOTE]

Yes and no.. An example was in 1972 the Phillies won 59 games, but Steve Carlton won 27 that year. I remember my dad saying they would draw no one to the games, but every 5th day it would be absolutely packed to watch him pitch.

Like him or not, imagine if Kobe Bryant went to a bad team. Don't you think their attendance would jump a few thousand cause of him? And in theory, if he generated another $40 million in revenue for your team, wouldn't it make sense to pay him 25-30 mill?

harnesslover
10-29-2007, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=headhawg]

I know that being a GM isn't an easy job, but I swear I could put a winning team together without breaking the bank. A-rod is a great player but he is not a winner IMO, and it is the rare individual that actually makes a team elevate to the championship level. (Think Michael Jordan.)
QUOTE]

I personally wouldn't want him for hte simpl fact that he is a 'me' guy and never has stepped up in the bigtime when it counts.

There always seems to be controversy around him and he continues to say idiotic things every single year.

I don't think it's a mystery why he's never won anything

Ron
10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Yes and no.. An example was in 1972 the Phillies won 59 games, but Steve Carlton won 27 that year. I remember my dad saying they would draw no one to the games, but every 5th day it would be absolutely packed to watch him pitch.

Like him or not, imagine if Kobe Bryant went to a bad team. Don't you think their attendance would jump a few thousand cause of him? And in theory, if he generated another $40 million in revenue for your team, wouldn't it make sense to pay him 25-30 mill?

So what are you saying...A-rod caused the Yankees attendance to jump? A-rod is a cancer...I pray to god Boston has no interest whatsoever in him.

A-rod has gotten more fans because of the Yankees, not the other way around.

NoCal Boy
10-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Don't be shocked if the Giants make a serious run at A-Rod. They own and financed their beautiful stadium and need the bodies to put in the seats. A-Rod would all but guarantee packed houses for the next several years. 10K extra seats for 81 games means tens of millions annually to the Giants. Boras is also Zito's agent.

If not the Giants, I expect the Angles or Dodgers. The media scrutiny out here is nothing like back east. A-Rod can be a celebrity without the brutal scrutiny of the NY or east coast press.

harnesslover
10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
So what are you saying...A-rod caused the Yankees attendance to jump? A-rod is a cancer...I pray to god Boston has no interest whatsoever in him.

A-rod has gotten more fans because of the Yankees, not the other way around.

I am saying that it was fact that A-roid generated $40 million of revenue for the Yankees, which is why his contract was financially sound from a business perspsctive

njcurveball
10-29-2007, 02:14 PM
From what I could find, Vlad Guerrero took a 70 million dollar, 5 year contract from the Angels in 2004.

That would make 2008 his last year. There is a club option for 15 million in 2009. If Arod gets 30 million or more from the Angels, then what could possibly offer Vlad to stay?

I also cannot see how the Giants can refuse to give Bonds another year and then triple his salary to give to Arod!

Texas will not take him back. OR will they? They just saved 20 - 30 million depending on where you read it.

I doubt Manny will be happy "being Manny", if Arod comes in and gets double his salary.

The Mets have David Wright and Jose Reyes, so where would Arod play?

Toronto's GM was set to be lynched after signing BJ Ryan and AJ Burnett for boat loads of cash and getting practiclly nothing in return.

I give Arod all the credit for a great year, a historic year even!

I just cannot see any team giving him more than what the Yankees would have offered. Remember, the Yankees had 3 more years of "Texas" money to susidize him.

As a baseball fan, I want to see Arod and would prefer him wearing pinstripes. Second choice and the team that needs him most, the Phillies, will not pay for what could be an "instant" trip to the World Series with him in the lineup.

Team loyalty aside, the best thing for baseball to do would be to offer him 20 million and tell him to find a way to live on it.

harnesslover
10-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Just a random FYI..

Teams that score 892 runs and lead the league in offense do not need more offense.

One more FYI..

Teams that are 13th out of 16 teams in teh NL in pitching, need pitching. And I don't recall A-rod pitching.

1st time lasix
10-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Am I the only one that remembers that his wife wore a tee shirt to the ballpark with an expletive on it aimed at the NY media? He was never going to play for Ny after that in my opinion. His wife should have some influence on him. I just don't think the money is the deciding factor now. I suspect he won't play for the Mets either. California {LA or San Fran}or Chicago is my guess.

njcurveball
10-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Am I the only one that remembers that his wife wore a tee shirt to the ballpark with an expletive on it aimed at the NY media? He was never going to play for Ny after that in my opinion.

Spot on call! I think you definitely have a good point here! :ThmbUp:

harnesslover
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Am I the only one that remembers that his wife wore a tee shirt to the ballpark with an expletive on it aimed at the NY media? He was never going to play for Ny after that in my opinion. His wife should have some influence on him. I just don't think the money is the deciding factor now. I suspect he won't play for the Mets either. California {LA or San Fran}or Chicago is my guess.

Maybe there is a higher population of Tranny Strippers in LA than New York. That can be a big priority for him..

PaceAdvantage
10-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Maybe there is a higher population of Tranny Strippers in LA than New York. That can be a big priority for him..Tranny? Where did you hear that one?

eastie
10-30-2007, 02:35 AM
after John Henry and big Papi stopped holding up the championship trophy today in Boston. The thousands of fans there stared chanting.."don't sign A-Rod...long and loud. He won't be coming to beantown.

njcurveball
10-30-2007, 09:47 AM
The thousands of fans there stared chanting.."don't sign A-Rod...long and loud. He won't be coming to beantown.

So if the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets are out of the picture. How much can he get?

The Cubs have Aramis Ramirez, so Arod has to move back to short. He has bulked up to hit more home runs, so I think that cannot be a good defensive tool for him. Will the Cubs mind if he makes 30 to 40 errors?

If they are out, we are back to the Dodgers and Angels. Today's report says.

The early line: The Anaheim Angels (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/laa/) make a modest play for Rodriguez, the Los Angeles Dodgers (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/lad/) make a token play, and Rodriguez plays somewhere else next year.

Modest? How much does that translate to? Is 25 million modest?

How bout token? Is that 20 million? Wish I had a token job! :jump:

Baseball owners have a chance to set the ceiling on salaries with this one. Without Steinbrenner stirring the pot, this is the most interesting free agent signing in a long time.

harnesslover
10-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Tranny? Where did you hear that one?

Wow thats old news

rrbauer
10-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Look for A-Rod to get into a Clemens-like groove. Wait until May and see who REALLY wants him and which lineup(s) he fits best in. He can afford to do that and clubs who really need him could afford to overpay for a 1-year deal without breaking the long-term bank. He's not leaving the Yankees over money. He's leaving because they're heading in the wrong direction and he has a chance to get out.

harnesslover
10-30-2007, 10:28 AM
He's not leaving the Yankees over money.

You're serious??? I mean, seriously, you believe this?

njcurveball
10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Tranny? Where did you hear that one?

PLEASE keep on topic. If you like to discuss this you can start another thread. :ThmbUp:

GaryG
10-30-2007, 11:22 AM
The timing of Boras' announcement was excellent. I imagine he had a hard time keeping a straight face when issuing his "apology".

njcurveball
10-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Boras is such a snake he would stand up next to the casket and announce the items he has for sale on Ebay!

He isn't happy with his cut of 72 million for the next 3 years? This definitely one situation where the player should have done a "Jerry Maguire" and signed with another agent.

rrbauer
10-30-2007, 03:12 PM
You're serious??? I mean, seriously, you believe this?

Serious as the day is long. Neither he nor Boras would even talk to the Yankees, let alone discuss money.

harnesslover
10-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Serious as the day is long. Neither he nor Boras would even talk to the Yankees, let alone discuss money.

Come on man, get real. Its all about the money. Yankees were clear they weren't shelling out $30 mill.. He wants $30 mill+

He's worried about the new manager? He had 10 days after the end of the WS to opt out, yet he didn't wait. They just hired a manager yesterday.

Its always about the money.

rrbauer
10-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Come on man, get real. Its all about the money. Yankees were clear they weren't shelling out $30 mill.. He wants $30 mill+

He stated this where? Basically, you have the preconceived notion that ARod is moving because of money. As a result, thought processes get in the way of analysis. As you say, get real.

harnesslover
10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
He stated this where? Basically, you have the preconceived notion that ARod is moving because of money. As a result, thought processes get in the way of analysis. As you say, get real.

Yes, who would ever think that he would move for money, considering Boras as his agent and leaving a better team (Mariners) for an awful team (Rangers) for $250 mill

what a reach

njcurveball
10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Arod HATED playing for Buck Showalter. He could not get out of Texas fast enough.

Torre won him over and it is my opinion as someone who watches a lot of baseball that he would not have made the announcement so soon if Torre was the Manager.

Arod WOULD have played for Donnie Baseball. He does NOT want to play for Girardi.

When he found out Girardi was the man, he made his own exodus. Call it anything you like. The timing is what shows you the truth.

This is a quote from over a week ago

"Looking at the decisions the Yankees have to make is important to Alex," Boras, A-Rod's agent, said when reached by The News. "He wants to know who is on the team and who is managing the team."

This is also from a week ago

Don Mattingly appears to be the front-runner to replace Torre, a move Rodriguez would likely embrace. But with Buck Showalter - who did not have a good relationship with A-Rod in Texas - among the other names mentioned as a possible replacement, Rodriguez would not want to sign a deal with the possibility of Showalter taking over in the Bronx.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/21/2007-10-21_scott_boras_yankee_decisions_will_impact.html

Google for more if you like, when it was found out Mattingly would not get the job, Arod called the front desk, he is checking out of New York!

harnesslover
10-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Its really not going to be hard to figure out his motive once he does sign.

If you see him signing a 6 yeasr $180 million deal with a horrid team like the Giants, then you'll know the motivation..

harnesslover
10-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Don Mattingly appears to be the front-runner to replace Torre, a move Rodriguez would likely embrace. But with Buck Showalter - who did not have a good relationship with A-Rod in Texas - among the other names mentioned as a possible replacement, Rodriguez would not want to sign a deal with the possibility of Showalter taking over in the Bronx.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/21/2007-10-21_scott_boras_yankee_decisions_will_impact.html

Google for more if you like, when it was found out Mattingly would not get the job, Arod called the front desk, he is checking out of New York!

If you don't feel its about the money, why did you start a thread titled "HOW MUCH CAN AROD GET"??

Softshoesureshot
10-31-2007, 12:46 AM
I don't think he's going to the Angels. Moreno is on record as having stated that he would have problems paying anyone $20 million or more, and the Angels were competitive this year without an additional drag on payroll.

I think SF makes sense, as does LA. Now that Torre is there, does that give LA the inside track? Interesting.

harnesslover
10-31-2007, 09:52 AM
I don't think he's going to the Angels. Moreno is on record as having stated that he would have problems paying anyone $20 million or more, and the Angels were competitive this year without an additional drag on payroll.

I think SF makes sense, as does LA. Now that Torre is there, does that give LA the inside track? Interesting.

LA Dodgers already have a big payroll..

If he does go to San Fran, a truly horrific team, we will all know its totally about the money.

Light
10-31-2007, 11:55 AM
I wouldnt give him a dime. One of the biggest chokers in all of sports in the playoffs. He's a head case. Send him to the sox. That'll cool them off.

PaceAdvantage
10-31-2007, 11:14 PM
I wouldnt give him a dime. One of the biggest chokers in all of sports in the playoffs. He's a head case. Send him to the sox. That'll cool them off.A head case who hit 54 HRs and 156 RBIs....yeah, he's worthless...:bang:

Light
10-31-2007, 11:18 PM
I reiterate:In the playoffs he sucks.

PaceAdvantage
11-01-2007, 12:20 AM
I reiterate:In the playoffs he sucks.But you said you wouldn't give him a dime, implying you think he is worthless. We'll see how worthless he is....the Yankees are making a huge mistake here in not going after him.....huge.....

Light
11-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Yanks have enough good hitters. Their pitching is pathetic. If they get a couple of good pitchers in place of A Rod's salary,they'd be back in business.

harnesslover
11-01-2007, 01:38 AM
But you said you wouldn't give him a dime, implying you think he is worthless. We'll see how worthless he is....the Yankees are making a huge mistake here in not going after him.....huge.....
I don't think he's worthless. I think he's probably the best player in baseball..

However, it cannot be ignored that the guy has never won anything ever. And he does struggle overall in the postseason, you cannot deny that.

He's a 'me' guy. Not sure how you could ever root for him, but thats me.

harnesslover
11-02-2007, 06:30 PM

I think you got some seriously bad information..

It was just reported that A-roid and Boras told the Yankees BEFORE he opted out of his contract that they would not even talk to the Yankees unless there was a 12 year, $350 deal on the table.

What a shocker, IT WAS ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harnesslover
11-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Saw this today, thought it was interesting..

In last 38 postseason ABs, Arod has come up with runners in scoring position 27 times. He is 0 for 27 in those at bats.

Ya gotta have some balls asking for $30 mill with those clutch stats hanging over you..

PaceAdvantage
11-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Where did you see that stat? Pretty amazing that in 38 at bats, 27 of them had runners in scoring position. Sounds kind of high....

We all know he's sucked in the post season....what else is new?

Now Jeter sucking in the post season, like he did this year, is new, and yet, not a peep.....

harnesslover
11-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Where did you see that stat? Pretty amazing that in 38 at bats, 27 of them had runners in scoring position. Sounds kind of high....

We all know he's sucked in the post season....what else is new?

Now Jeter sucking in the post season, like he did this year, is new, and yet, not a peep.....

You seriously are baffled as to why Jeter having one bad postseason is quiet and A-roid having yet another horrid postseason is not so quiet?

You cannot possibly be that obtuse.

PaceAdvantage
11-13-2007, 12:11 AM
You seriously are baffled as to why Jeter having one bad postseason is quiet and A-roid having yet another horrid postseason is not so quiet?

You cannot possibly be that obtuse.Actually, it makes more sense to talk about the unusual than the expected....but that's just me....

harnesslover
11-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Actually, it makes more sense to talk about the unusual than the expected....but that's just me....

So you want a guy back on your team that is 'expected' to flop in the postseason every year?

It's a wonder why they're headed for a decade of nothing..:lol: :lol: :lol:

njcurveball
11-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Moderators can you please close this thread. It has gotten off topic and turned into yet another pi$$ing contest.

thanks!

PaceAdvantage
11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
So you want a guy back on your team that is 'expected' to flop in the postseason every year?Yes, I do, because he kicked ass during the other 162 games, and almost single-handily kept the Yankees from falling 20+ games behind.

harnesslover
11-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Yes, I do, because he kicked ass during the other 162 games, and almost single-handily kept the Yankees from falling 20+ games behind.

I thought guys get paid for what they do in the postseason

PaceAdvantage
11-14-2007, 12:59 AM
I thought guys get paid for what they do in the postseasonReally? They do? Lots of guys should be playing for free then, shouldn't they....like the multitude who have never even been to the playoffs.