PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Shane

highnote
10-29-2007, 01:28 AM
I just watched "Shane" last night for about the 20th time in my life. Great movie.

There is a fight scene in movie that is pretty interesting. It takes place near a corral. The livestock in the corral goes crazy. I was surprised how high a saddled horse jumped from a standing start. It sort of just shot straight up and over a fence.

They cut to a shot of a cow actually climbing the rails of the fence.

I don't think these were animals were trained. It was just instinct.

But what the hell did they have to do to those animals to get them so riled up?

DJofSD
10-29-2007, 01:50 AM
But what the hell did they have to do to those animals to get them so riled up?

I heard a story one time from a Hollywood animal trainer/handler that they'd use B-B guns to "surprise" an animal and elicit such a response. I don't know if that's what they did in this case.

It's hard to believe "Shane" was turned down by multiple studios and sat in the can for two years before it was ever shown. It didn't fit the mold for westerns being made at the time.

highnote
10-29-2007, 01:58 AM
I heard a story one time from a Hollywood animal trainer/handler that they'd use B-B guns to "surprise" an animal and elicit such a response. I don't know if that's what they did in this case.

I don't know what they did, but whatever it was it must have been pretty scary for the livestock. We used to tease the cows and hogs as kids, but never to the point where they would climb the fences!

It's hard to believe "Shane" was turned down by multiple studios and sat in the can for two years before it was ever shown. It didn't fit the mold for westerns being made at the time.

I had never heard that. That is surprising. Makes you wonder if any executive actually sat down and watched the movie.

JustRalph
10-29-2007, 03:18 AM
The Kid in that movie was a pretty good actor as an adult.........he was killed in a car accident at 32 years of age. One of my favorite roles was the young officer in John Wayne's "In Harms Way"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001121/bio

highnote
10-29-2007, 03:26 AM
The Kid in that movie was a pretty good actor as an adult.........he was killed in a car accident at 32 years of age. One of my favorite roles was the young officer in John Wayne's "In Harms Way"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001121/bio

Very sad. It's nice to know that he managed to act as an adult. I guess times were different then. So many child actors today seem to grow up to be idiots.

There are exceptions, though. I think Ron Howard is great.

Dan Montilion
10-29-2007, 03:50 AM
There is a fight scene in movie that is pretty interesting. It takes place near a corral. The livestock in the corral goes crazy. I was surprised how high a saddled horse jumped from a standing start. It sort of just shot straight up and over a fence.

According to Gene Hackman's Capt. Ramsey in Crimson Tide. Some of the things they do, uh, defy belief. Their training program is simplicity itself. You just stick a cattle prod up their ass and you can get a horse to deal cards. Simple matter of voltage.

46zilzal
10-29-2007, 11:24 AM
So many scenes with animals are now shot in Mexico where the SPCA does not have jurisdiction. There was a famous scene (used in many movies) where Yakima Kanut (a famous Hollywood stunt man for years) dove off a cliff with a horse. The horse died on impact, but the scene was spliced into about 10 movies.

DJofSD
10-29-2007, 09:21 PM
There was a famous scene (used in many movies) where Yakima Kanut (a famous Hollywood stunt man for years)...

Funny you should bring up this name.

My son's teacher last year (1st/2nd grade) had them write a brief three or four sentence report about him after she told the class about him. He was very proud of the report and was trying to tell me about the man and the movies. I had to tell my son I did not know who he was. We ended up talking to the teacher a few days later and that's when I learned a little bit more. (I think that was the very first instance of my son teaching me something he learned at school that I did not already know.)

Pace Cap'n
10-29-2007, 10:14 PM
s/b Yakima Canutt.

skate
10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Funny you should bring up this name.

My son's teacher last year (1st/2nd grade) had them write a brief three or four sentence report about him after she told the class about him.

ah, look at that, your son and zilly must be in the same class.

hey , lookey here, i only ment it for a laugh. poor zilly. i thought he made it out from the second grade.