PDA

View Full Version : BC wagering Decline

betovernetcapper
10-28-2007, 02:22 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41712&source=rss

The weather has been cited as the major reason for BC betting decline. I have another theory. If I can't bet a race, I tend to be not interested in it. I didn't bother watching any of the BC prep races and so I approached the BC races just like I approach Hong Kong or European races-tepidly.
Anyone else have a similar experience?

kenwoodallpromos
10-28-2007, 02:46 PM
"NCAA Division I FBS football College American football United States 2006 average attendance= 46,249"
The diiference= community and alumni following, action, contact, cheerleaders, marching bands, standard rules, team concept, good TV coverage, easy point spred betting, etc.
If racing wants to live or die by live attendnce, they will die.

Premier Turf Club
10-28-2007, 03:58 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=41718

They can spin this any way they want, and of course weather was a factor. But the scuttlebutt is the bookmakers handle was up pretty good over last year.

The signal wars have accelerated the shift of handle from pari-mutuels to non-parimutels. It was bad before the signal wars, it's much worse now. It will take a long time, not to mention hard work and a real commitment to customer satisfcation (two things the industry isn't exactly known for) to start moving that handle back into the pools.

Of course, there's the possibility that the feds might have something to say about things too.

So much for the petition, huh?

rrbauer
10-28-2007, 04:31 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=41718

They can spin this any way they want, and of course weather was a factor. But the scuttlebutt is the bookmakers handle was up pretty good over last year.

The signal wars have accelerated the shift of handle from pari-mutuels to non-parimutels. It was bad before the signal wars, it's much worse now. It will take a long time, not to mention hard work and a real commitment to customer satisfcation (two things the industry isn't exactly known for) to start moving that handle back into the pools.

Of course, there's the possibility that the feds might have something to say about things too.

So much for the petition, huh?

Curious, Ian....was your handle on MTH up to expectation for the BC?

FWIW I gave you about $575 in handle on BC over the day and never had a hiccup with your service. Friend was trying to bet NJSEA over the same period and was moaning the blues. He finally drove over to the Meadowlands.

Premier Turf Club
10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Curious, Ian....was your handle on MTH up to expectation for the BC?

FWIW I gave you about $575 in handle on BC over the day and never had a hiccup with your service. Friend was trying to bet NJSEA over the same period and was moaning the blues. He finally drove over to the Meadowlands.

Richard:

A little less than we had hoped for, but wagering on a player by player basis was in line with what people had played with us this year.

We had hoped to lure back specific players wagering through bookmakers and that didn't happen. Many told me they want to come back on-shore but they can't play all the tracks they want through us so they will continue to play with ehorse, BetCris, Pinnacle (YES there are still many playing through Pinnacle), etc.

kenwoodallpromos
10-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I think the petition was part of why things opened up a little at least in Ca.
On the Ca annual report online gambling in racing is acknowledged to be increasing- racing is slow to appreciate bettors. But online horse betting is where the profit is, with few labor costs. Many in racing look closely at the bottom line and will listen if they think there is sufficient money in it for them, like CD begging for more cash to host the BC games.
There is money in legit onshore online betting, and in keeping horse healthier!

dutchboy
10-28-2007, 08:23 PM
http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/extras/topic/2007/70201.html

Interesting but a few months dated article on the future of the Breeders Cup.

kenwoodallpromos
10-28-2007, 09:02 PM
http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/extras/topic/2007/70201.html

Interesting but a few months dated article on the future of the Breeders Cup.
Makes sense to hold the Breeders' Cup where the most potential runners are, and where the main breeding is done. As far as I know that is the USA (Florida would be nice!).

The Hawk
10-28-2007, 10:44 PM
There's no longer a racetrack in Florida capable of handling a BC, now that Gulfstream has been ruined...I mean, renovated.

Indulto
10-28-2007, 11:35 PM
There's no longer a racetrack in Florida capable of handling a BC, now that Gulfstream has been ruined...I mean, renovated.Poster Derby Trail once suggested on ATRAB that all BC races be held at Hialeah. I don't remember who he suggested owning it, but given the premium signal price it commands, you'd think the Breeders' Cup people could afford to acquire and rebuild it, and then lease it out for other meets. Maybe even Mr. Stronach would be interested.

Of course Global Warming could always alter the hurricane season, so maybe a batman-movie-like retractable surface cover (and water diverter) is the only real answer. In any case, the weather doesn't have to be the determining factor for horses or humans on racing's biggest day.

Can the jocky Club (TRPB) determine exactly how many unique on-line betting accounts participated on BC day?

socantra
10-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Poster Derby Trail once suggested on ATRAB that all BC races be held at Hialeah. I don't remember who he suggested owning it, but given the premium signal price it commands, you'd think the Breeders' Cup people could afford to acquire and rebuild it, and then lease it out for other meets.

It sounds like a ridiculous, impossible dream, but the idea drew a wistful smile and a sigh from me. A 'Hollywood ending" for that gorgeous track is a very pleasant thought, regardless of how improbable.

Ron
10-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Actually if you include the wagering on the 3 BC races held on Friday, handle was pretty much the same as last year.

Premier Turf Club
10-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Actually if you include the wagering on the 3 BC races held on Friday, handle was pretty much the same as last year.

Maybe, but you can't really compare 11 races to 8. My guess based upon things I have heard is that about $20 million of last year's handle went to the bookmakers, and the the handle decreased due to weather by another $10mm. Of course, those are all based upon shop talk, but seem reasonable based upon everything else that came before it. I'd guess bookmaker handle is up 10-12%% year over year, obviously most of it coming right from the pari-mutuel pools.

We'll never know for sure, but I'd venture that the signals wars have cost the industry as a whole $25 -$35 million in revenues (@ a 5.5% average signal fee) so far this year, not to say anything about long term damage to it's fan base.

rastajenk
10-29-2007, 02:21 PM
One thing I heard being kicked around was having Cup Day at the end of the month vs. having it at the beginning of the next month, i.e., Nov 4 last year. I have no idea what percentage of handle is driven by Social Security, but clearly there will be more cash out there available for racing's churn next week than there is this week.