PDA

View Full Version : Churchill unclear regarding hosting BC: Money issues

Grits
10-28-2007, 12:35 PM
From Equidaily and the Courier Journal:The brilliance that is CDI and Breeders Cup. It doesn't matter what it may mean for the City of Louisville, or the citizens of Kentucky statewide-- and all that.......who cares.
Saturday, October 27, 2007

THE BREEDERS' CUP
Event's Churchill run may come to an end
Work pays off in little revenue, track officials say

By Gregory A. Hall
ghall@courier-journal.com (ghall@courier-journal.com)
The Courier-Journal

OCEANPORT, N.J. -- Churchill Downs has played host to the Breeders' Cup World Championships a record six times -- and garnered the event's largest attendance in five of those years, including 2006.

But whether the Breeders' Cup will return to the home of the Kentucky Derby is unclear.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071027/SPORTS0802/710270433

DJofSD
10-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Please post a link instead of posting the entire article. This will be edited by either cj or PA since it is in violation of the TOS.

Grits
10-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Please post a link instead of posting the entire article. This will be edited by either cj or PA since it is in violation of the TOS.

I'm sorry, I forgot....my mistake.

betovernetcapper
10-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Why not have St Kitts host the races directly?

kenwoodallpromos
10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
So give it to a track that WANTS it!

1st time lasix
10-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Give BC to Gulfstream and save all of the fourteen seats that it has available for out-of-town patrons! :lol: Last year my buddy and i went on a regular Friday. We were among the first fifty people on site at 11 am. We had to "juice" a bartender at an inside no view location twenty bucks a piece just to find a spot {with the promise that we would move if one of the regulars showed and we would spend money} Not one single place to sit wasn't reserved. Never again without renting a luxury box!

richrosa
10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Its too bad. Its the only city that really cares about hosting the Breeders Cup. Plus, its naturally set up to host the BC better than anyone else in terms or accommodations in and out of the track.

Snow Chief
10-29-2007, 08:10 PM
th breeders' cup is running out of locations with gulfstream gone and Hollywood on its way out. After being there last year, i do not think CD is so great it should be an "every other year" location like some people suggest, but it is no doubt an important part of the rotation. if BC didn't try to whore every cent out of fans by charging exorbitant prices for crappy temporary seating, and just opened up the apron and charged a little higher general admission, maybe smaller venues could host more easily. the problem still remains what to do with owners for 8 stakes races though.

richrosa
10-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Oh don't forget the merchandising, which hit a new low in quality this year. $75 for a sweatshirt made in Honduras that looks like fall apart in your laundry quicker than a cigar made from the same land.

I'm fortunate. Every year I'm in a sponsors booth or tent, but I feel for those who paid through the nose for crummy seating and dismal accommodations.

While I'm on the rant, they really screwed up the parking thing. I walked through the half-empty parking lot and wondered why they scared everyone into not driving to the track. I had a tent ticket for a poster here, who lives in Jersey and didn't want to take the "parking risk".

bigmack
10-29-2007, 08:28 PM
While I'm on the rant, they really screwed up the parking thing. I walked through the half-empty parking lot and wondered why they scared everyone into not driving to the track. I had a tent ticket for a poster here, who lives in Jersey and didn't want to take the "parking risk".
I heard that parking lot fiasco was something, R2. The most featherbrained notion was that umbrellas are contraband and the ban would not/could not be lifted. :lol:

jma
10-29-2007, 08:32 PM
I heard that parking lot fiasco was something, R2. The most featherbrained notion was that umbrellas are contraband and the ban would not/could not be lifted. :lol:

I've got to say, that umbrella thing was a scam.

The parking I didn't understand---they could have sold the closer spots for more money than the remote lots, so it's not as if they were making more money on the deal. Anyway, it was still fun until the end.

alhattab
10-29-2007, 08:42 PM
I thought Mth did very well for a first time host. There are things to learn for sure. I don't think the parking was thought to be the problem so much as access to the parking lot, and I believe the problem was much, much worse after racing than before. I walked to the track so didn't have to deal with it, but leaving on Friday was chaos with 28k on premises. Anyway, availability of the train makes Mth very accessible. Also for a "smaller" venue Mth is actually fairly large.

I do agree with thoughts on the pricing (not Mth but BC issue I believe). Seats on the Clubhouse turn, uncovered, for $100? Those little white banquet chairs for $225 or whatever? Outrageous concessions? It's offensive, and the BC loses credibility and ultimately chases people away by charging them alot when there's no way someone will feel like they got a good deal sitting out on the turn in the rain watching on a video board. There is no way I will pay more than general admission for these events unless I go really top-tier (e.g., Parterre Box at Mth).

point given
10-29-2007, 10:06 PM
th breeders' cup is running out of locations with gulfstream gone and Hollywood on its way out. After being there last year, i do not think CD is so great it should be an "every other year" location like some people suggest, but it is no doubt an important part of the rotation. if BC didn't try to whore every cent out of fans by charging exorbitant prices for crappy temporary seating, and just opened up the apron and charged a little higher general admission, maybe smaller venues could host more easily. the problem still remains what to do with owners for 8 stakes races though.

I think the "rotation" for the BC was, in no order, the usual big 3, belmont, churchill, santa anita, then a new venue( ala woodbine, arlington, lone star etc) . Recently they stated they wouldnot go the smaller venue route again as its too much trouble, etc.

I went to the last one at belmont and froze with everyone else, and sat in the stratosphere, so i had a blimp eye view. While i was initially excited about going, the gouging, plus everything else, left me wanting. They are taking the fans out of the game and just want the bottom line. Its all about catering to the high end client nowadays,dontcha know. :ThmbDown:

bane
11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
If only Hialeah was still running...