PDA

View Full Version : One thing I find truly annoying

cees with dees
10-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Jan Rushton always says whenever a firster has the rail that he has to break from "the tough inside post".
In it's second start, does the horse say to himself, "Hey, that's the rail. I know what that is".
Ridiculous and I guarantee the percentage of winning firsters are moreso from inside posts than outside.
Any thoughts??

Ron
10-25-2007, 02:33 PM
I think only a lucky few of us get to see Jan.

46zilzal
10-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Circumference equals Pi x diameter. Shortest distance between the start and finish occurs where? by the rail where the smallest diameter and circumference are as well.

Ron
10-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I've been told by the gate crew at Saratoga that the rail freaks out first time starters.

Tom
10-25-2007, 03:03 PM
More tha pie r square enter into the equation.
It is the individual track and horse that matter, not theoretical geometry malarkey. :bang:

( I know, I know, God will get me, but I had to say it. :lol:)

Some one should do a db study of FTS on the rail vs not.
Some on should. So I won't have to.

46zilzal
10-25-2007, 03:07 PM
I've been told by the gate crew at Saratoga that the rail freaks out first time starters.
That is true. When I set up my camera for babies, the starter is always warning me to move back further as they load. I once wore an orange raincoat and he made me take it off until they were loaded.

Greyfox
10-25-2007, 03:10 PM
That is true. When I set up my camera for babies, the starter is always warning me to move back further as they load. I once wore an orange raincoat and he made me take it off until they were loaded.

"The starter is always warning me to move back further..."
Hmm? Slow learner? :lol:

46zilzal
10-25-2007, 03:13 PM
"The starter is always warning me to move back further..."
Hmm? Slow learner?

Irrationally so as I stand in exactly the same spot every time.

Greyfox
10-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Irrationally so as I stand in exactly the same spot every time.

Sort of like when you dig your heels in here on this board and take a stance? :lol:

46zilzal
10-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Sort of like when you dig your heels in here on this board and take a stance? :lol:
No the starter has had domestic troubles of late (don't know the exact problem) and I have NOT been alone on the receiving end of his ire.

Tom Barrister
10-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Horses are claustrophobic by nature (os so the late Bonnie Ledbetter once said), and the rail can be intimidating to a newcomer, as it removes one of their directions of flight/movement. Also, being pushed into the rail is probably not a comfortable feeling for a horse. Some horses never get over their fear of the rail, and these horses can spend their entire racing careers no closer than the 2 or 3 path, even when alone on the lead.

Edward DeVere
10-26-2007, 01:32 AM
[I guarantee the percentage of winning firsters are moreso from inside posts than outside.
[/QUOTE]

Well, here's MY guarantee: I guarantee more firsters break a length behind the field from the one-hole than any other position.

overunder
10-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Horses are claustrophobic by nature (os so the late Bonnie Ledbetter once said), and the rail can be intimidating to a newcomer, as it removes one of their directions of flight/movement. Also, being pushed into the rail is probably not a comfortable feeling for a horse. Some horses never get over their fear of the rail, and these horses can spend their entire racing careers no closer than the 2 or 3 path, even when alone on the lead.

Many jockeys suffer from this same affliction. Have you ever noticed how horses don't do their best running in between horses? This is because the jocks are scared sh...less trying to back their mounts out of the hole.