PDA

View Full Version : kip deville leg issues

Richie
10-25-2007, 10:10 AM
He had swelling in his leg and a filling was put in . I loved this horse on Sat. Any expert advice on what this means and the effect.

Thanks so much again :confused:

Ron
10-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Can you provide your source for this info? Thanks.

DJofSD
10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
and a filling was put in

He went to the dentist?

DeanT
10-25-2007, 10:45 AM
That's just great. Eeek.

I ain't a trainer, but I've paid vet bills :bang:........ it depends on what this is. A blown up leg is usually sign of something bad, but if there is no pain, it is prolly an irritation of some sort and with some hosing and powder to dry it out it will be fine. If they run him I would think it is not a tendon, or hairline, and it is not accompanied by lameness so I would still bet the bugger if I liked him. Swelling in these instances can come right down in 24 hours.

DanG
10-25-2007, 11:06 AM
He had swelling in his ankle last week and Dutrow was on the fence running him. (It was widely reported, but I don’t have an article handy). After his last morning move Dutrow (and a spotter I know) declared him 100% fit for what its worth.

Three things…

I have a long list of ouchy horses over the years for Dutrow and he is remarkable at finding incredibly quick cures. :rolleyes:
In March and April this horse was as good as any turf miler in the country…period. After he ran a troubled 6th at Hollywood (at 7/5) his next spot 5 days later at 9f over the cushion track was as stupid a move as I have seen. I venture to say if (fill in disliked trainer) had tried that it would have led to 189 posts on how ill responsible it was.
This is a true / talented turf miler…knowing Dutrow, the potential soft footing may be the greater challenge than any soundness issues imo.
PS: Thanks to the Amazon ad (top of the PA site) pushing Jaco’s 1st solo album at 25% off! Such a deal!!! :jump:

chickenhead
10-25-2007, 11:22 AM
what are your thoughts on Excellent Art Dan? His 4 races this year appear to lay over this field. Is Monmouth turf course with it's short stretch conducive to a style like his?

john del riccio
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
He had swelling in his ankle last week and Dutrow was on the fence running him. (It was widely reported, but I don’t have an article handy). After his last morning move Dutrow (and a spotter I know) declared him 100% fit for what its worth.

Three things…

I have a long list of ouchy horses over the years for Dutrow and he is remarkable at finding incredibly quick cures. :rolleyes:
In March and April this horse was as good as any turf miler in the country…period. After he ran a troubled 6th at Hollywood (at 7/5) his next spot 5 days later at 9f over the cushion track was as stupid a move as I have seen. I venture to say if (fill in disliked trainer) had tried that it would have led to 189 posts on how ill responsible it was.
This is a true / talented turf miler…knowing Dutrow, the potential soft footing may be the greater challenge than any soundness issues imo.
PS: Thanks to the Amazon ad (top of the PA site) pushing Jaco’s 1st solo album at 25% off! Such a deal!!! :jump:

I think the public completely messes up the betting when the turf is off. Its almost like they view firm and soft as 6 of one && a 1/2 dozen of another and its just not true.

John

PS As for Dutrow, last time I gave my opinion on him our esteemed moderator
gave me 2 demerits so I will politely say that I agree with your adjective!

Vindicationbcjc02
10-25-2007, 11:58 AM
what are your thoughts on Excellent Art Dan? His 4 races this year appear to lay over this field. Is Monmouth turf course with it's short stretch conducive to a style like his?

for what its worth looks like he is going to be running really late and breaking from post 13 its really hard for me to believe they are going to try to keep him close. Will he handle the turns while closing is what your betting on.

DanG
10-25-2007, 12:02 PM
I haven’t finalized anything on the Euro’s yet Chick;

So far these impressions;

Positives;

Has clearly faced better (duh), blocked in his last run for about a 1/16th and while he did not contest the pace it was hot up front and similar to the vicious pace we will see Saturday.
Is very fresh (5th start this year) and a true miler.
Finished with real power into an uphill and if he is within 5+ lengths & clear turning for home,(2 big "Ifs" at a short price) he is clearly the horse to beat…
but…

Potential negatives;

Lacks early quickness and from the #13, over a new 7f course it almost has to be a very challenging trip.
His hole card is the way he runs the straights and the BC mile winner at Monmouth will be the animal that negotiates the far turn best.
Has run best on firmer ground and the Mth turf could be an issue.
If anyone is interested here are his last 2 races on YouTube…If you speak French, all the better. If not look near the back for dark purplish silks and real finishing power late. (2nd in both runs.)

2-back: Sussex stakes;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YakFTwg1OX4

Last race: The Queen Elizabeth stakes at Ascot;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qztitbPZSVQ

Richie
10-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey Dan

Now that you mention it SILVER TRAIN trained by Dutrow had some back issues right before the cup. ALLDAY fixed? him right up. It didn't stop me then.

Thanks

BTW I met Jaco back in the day when he played some for Ian Hunter quite a character, of course, this was before his downward spiral

DanG
10-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Hey Dan

Now that you mention it SILVER TRAIN trained by Dutrow had some back issues right before the cup. ALLDAY fixed? him right up. It didn't stop me then.

Thanks

BTW I met Jaco back in the day when he played some for Ian Hunter quite a character, of course, this was before his downward spiral
All right Richie!

Part of Jaco’s army!!! :jump:

PS: Are you the same Richie who throws fastballs of the TG board? One of my partners is a TG user and he enjoys reading your posts.

Richie
10-25-2007, 02:00 PM
That's me Dan, Good Luck. i enjoy reading your posts everywhere. :)

Richie
10-25-2007, 02:02 PM
On the other hand I am Rich on the TG board. There is another Richie.

Good Luck to all, and thanks to PACEADVANTAGE for a fine board

Grits
10-25-2007, 03:30 PM
There's probably not a thing amiss with Kip Deville's leg. If one follows Dutrow's habits--one knows he's a fine storyteller. He knows how to raise the odds on his horses--giving more sway to his owners, several of whom are far beyond your "two fisted" garden variety, $50 window type.

Dutrow & Co. (both fellas)--they're all "bidness". All the time. The Wells Fargo truck's never too far from the gate.

DanG
10-25-2007, 03:40 PM
There's probably not a thing amiss with Kip Deville's leg. If one follows Dutrow's habits--one knows he's a fine storyteller. He knows how to raise the odds on his horses--giving more sway to his owners, several of whom are far beyond your "two fisted" garden variety, $50 window type.

Dutrow & Co. (both fellas)--they're all "bidness". All the time. The Wells Fargo truck's never too far from the gate.
From the ESPN web site; (BTW, this horse has had surgery to remove bone chips from his ankle, so it has been an issue before.) As you said Grit’s, part of the lovely poker game we play. :)

Kip Deville's work delayed

Kip Deville's final workout for the Breeders' Cup Mile was canceled Monday because of what trainer Rick Dutrow termed "extremely minor" swelling in his leg, and Dutrow said he planned to work Kip Deville on Tuesday over the Aqueduct grass course.

Dutrow said the Kip Deville had a small amount of filling in a pastern, the area below the ankle, and that if necessary the horse could have worked Monday.

"I have the luxury that I can wait, because he's ready to go," Dutrow said. "It's not a major problem."

Dutrow did however say that if the filling still was present Tuesday, Kip Deville probably wouldn't work. "But I can't imagine that would be the case," Dutrow said.

46zilzal
10-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Which issue was that? I have the September issue. Is it in the October one?

DanG
10-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Which issue was that? I have the September issue. Is it in the October one?
I’m assuming your taking about the ESPN quote? :confused:

Google [Kip Deville Ankle] and about 5-8 relevant hits come up.

46zilzal
10-25-2007, 04:55 PM
I’m assuming your taking about the ESPN quote?

No that was a comment on the OVERUSE of the word ISSUE.
Right up there with "ya know?"
"Ya know what I'm sayin'"
"basically, you know"
"I mean"
etc.

chickenhead
10-25-2007, 05:36 PM
issue: an important question that is in dispute and must be settled

you take issue :lol: with words when they're properly used? Perfectly acceptable use, you know?

bigmack
10-25-2007, 05:53 PM
No that was a comment on the OVERUSE of the word ISSUE.

The Mayor of Rendundacy takes exception to a word being overused?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/smile.gif

Tom
10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
No, 46 took issue with Dan's use of the word.
46 has issues.
Beyond October's.

Better stop now, or PA will issue a waring.

I'm leaving now, Mack.....Is you?

:rolleyes::bang:

Grits
10-27-2007, 08:04 PM
I posted this here at PA a few days ago. And true to form, Dutrow was lying about his horse.

This was just now posted at Raceday-NY by a member there, who had touted the horse for many days--in your face. With today's result he's still "in your face." I loathe poor manners. Blow hards and braggarts included. (Mind you, this is one of Dickie's owners' groups that could be termed as exceedingly hayseed.)

The poster's quote: (Swagger Stick)

This is how it is done....... Back at the barn we had a huge laugh when Dicky floated that price driving story out there..... All to drive up the price on the winner.... All you dummies took the bait like the fish that you are and tossed him... Too stupid to listen to the stick.....but you listen to news reporters....And we took your money.... $2000 to win baby only bet of the day... dont you wish you had the swagger to launch with that type of confidence... The IEAH equine hospital is going to get its own Kip Deville wing for phantom leg injuries....

point given
10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
I posted this here at PA a few days ago. And true to form, Dutrow was lying about his horse.

This was just now posted at Raceday-NY by a member there, who had touted the horse for many days--in your face. With today's result he's still "in your face." I loathe poor manners. Blow hards and braggarts included. (Mind you, this is one of Dickie's owners' groups that could be termed as exceedingly hayseed.)

The poster's quote: (Swagger Stick)

This is how it is done....... Back at the barn we had a huge laugh when Dicky floated that price driving story out there..... All to drive up the price on the winner.... All you dummies took the bait like the fish that you are and tossed him... Too stupid to listen to the stick.....but you listen to news reporters....And we took your money.... $2000 to win baby only bet of the day... dont you wish you had the swagger to launch with that type of confidence... The IEAH equine hospital is going to get its own Kip Deville wing for phantom leg injuries....

Good stuff there Grits. I had seen the Kipper run at Monmouth this summer, and it looked like a half hearted attempt, then his next was another loss, looked like he had lost a step on paper. BUT, they did put up $300k to enter him i think they mentioned. They asked him why put up the $$, and he said the horse was doing so well now, he deservered it. Heez a real cutie.

the_fat_man
10-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah

What's even more interesting is that this $300K supplement, WISEGUY horse, needed an absolutely perfect suckup RAIL TRIP, good fortune to be able to find room midstretch, and a race laden with pace types that didn't fall apart, as he, and the rest of the field were QUICKLY being INHALED by Host and Trippi's Storm, in order to win.

Now, that's a bet-with-confidence proposition.

Tom
10-27-2007, 09:47 PM
They only pay at the wire.

That was my biggest score of the day. Nice exacta, too.
Both in the contest and real life.

Mark Cramer and his connections were really impressed with his works coming into the race.
:cool:

Greyfox
10-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Another example as to why to play your own figs.
Just do it.
In my case, only the exacta.

Greyfox
10-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Yes. I had it. Both. But small bets.

the_fat_man
10-27-2007, 10:09 PM
They only pay at the wire.

That was my biggest score of the day. Nice exacta, too.
Both in the contest and real life.

yeah

my point, TOM, is that YOU weren't here after the race CHEST THUMPING like the dude on the other forum. I'm sure Dutrow and his people took it the right way as well. Nobody got over. There was no mystery about this horse. He came out of a strong race in WO that fell apart, and he ran the best out of those with the pace.

You win some, you lose some. Good for you

point given
10-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Another example as to why to play your own figs.
Just do it.
In my case, only the exacta.

caught the p3 starting with the Kipper race, but moronically singled the euro 13 for the p4, oh well didn't really need that $1500 :rolleyes:

kenwoodallpromos
10-28-2007, 01:42 AM
I agree that $300.000 is a lot of swagger! made me take notice, and an imaginary winner with my imaginary bet!!
I was lucky to do anything betting small on favorites to place!!

Robert Fischer
10-28-2007, 01:02 PM
the jockeys overreacted to the going.

they went in like 114 and finished in about 139

it was a custom made dream trip for the winner.

Kind of a dissapointing race as far as quality, but at the same time it was slightly interesting in terms of tactics.