PDA

View Full Version : Who's The New Announcer At Santa Anita?

trying2win
10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
I was just watching the 2nd race at Santa Anita today on live video, and I noticed there was a new announcer. Trevor Denman is not calling the races today for some reason. Can someone tell me who it was? I thought he did a good job of the call of the race.

Thanks,

T2W

shanta
10-24-2007, 04:42 PM
T2W
Trevor is calling them today at Monmouth. Not sure who it is at Sa

bigmack
10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I believe it's John Leeds from Lonestar

trying2win
10-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info Richie and Big Mack:ThmbUp: .

And if Mike Battaglia shows up on TV giving his selections at the Breeders Cup for each race, I'll be watching those segments like this http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/107.gif:D

bigmack
10-24-2007, 05:17 PM
The cacophony coming from Battaglia is so bad you'd better consider the critters as well.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/dogmuffs.jpg

trying2win
10-24-2007, 05:26 PM
BIG MACK:

That was a good one with the photo of the dog and the ear muffs on him. :lol:

Thanks,

T2W

richrosa
10-24-2007, 06:13 PM
The only time I've been to Turfway, it was Mike's night off.

Dan Montilion
10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Battaglia is "off" even when he's on.

richrosa
10-24-2007, 11:24 PM
I wasn't disappointed that he was absent.

BillW
10-24-2007, 11:27 PM
He's still here in Lexington.

Tom Barrister
10-25-2007, 04:21 AM
I believe it's John Leeds from Lonestar

Yes, it's John Lies from Lone Star doing Santa Anita this week. He'll be there through Saturday, while Denman is at Monmouth. Denman is scheduled to return to Santa Anita Sunday.

Kelso
10-26-2007, 11:30 PM
I wasn't disappointed that he was absent.

Well I sure as hell was. After listening to Larry Colmus for seven races, switching to Denman in the 8th was akin to changing from a rippeling brook to finger nails on a blackboard. That guy is horrible!!

Zman179
10-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Well I sure as hell was. After listening to Larry Colmus for seven races, switching to Denman in the 8th was akin to changing from a rippeling brook to finger nails on a blackboard. That guy is horrible!!

Denman's call in the Juvenile Turf was absolutely horrid. He never, ever called the inside horse in the stretch (who nearly won the race.) All he called from the eighth pole home is Now Now Now...which he called five times!
I will give him credit on his call of Corinthian. He nailed that call.
Nonetheless, if I close my eyes, I cannot tell if Denman is calling the Breeders' Cup, or the fifth at Santa Anita. At least Durkin brought out the dramatics when the time called for them.

bigmack
10-26-2007, 11:56 PM
It's true. As much as I've liked Denmen over the years his parlance has become rather flat. He's still good but push comes to shove and I bet most would rather have TD upstairs as he enlivened BC races.

lilmegahertz
10-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Tom Durkin...where were you??? I think by now we all know I am a die-hard TD fan. His "Man oh Mandela what a day" is among his many classic calls to me. Listening to any other track announcer on the big dance days is just not right. And when George Washington broke down, Trevor never mentioned it as far as I could tell. Tom would have been on top of it. And in my opinion only, to me it sounds as if Trevor is either drunk, has marbles in his mouth or having a stroke which affects his speech.
Tom Durkin has a cadence and excitement to his calls that surpasses anyone. And even though tragedy strikes the race, he can, with a little modification, change to a more respectful mood at the drop of a hat.

Please for the love of God bring back Tom!!!!

trying2win
10-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Despite the 'bash Trevor Denman's announcing' here in this thead, I disagree with the dissenters. I like Trevor's race calls. Having said that, I defend the other PA members right to disagree though. We all have our different opinions.

It's a good thing Mike Battglia is not calling the Santa Anita races. In my opinion, he's the most annoying horse race announcer.:mad:

lilmegahertz
10-27-2007, 06:54 PM
True. We do have different opinions. That is what makes life interesting-getting other ideas, input into things. For instance, two of my favorite tracks so far are Emerald Downs in WA. and Colonial Downs in VA. But most players hate them. But that won't make me change my mind about them. And Blue Ribbons In OK, a lot of folks think it is a pig-sty. I have fond memories of my younger days there. So if folks bash those tracks, I really do not care. They all have special meaning to me and people can say what they want.

Dan Montilion
10-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Denman is a full brother to Lava Man, take them out of California and their not worth a shit.

lilmegahertz
10-27-2007, 11:24 PM
LORDY!!!:p